The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maiming Strike Nerf

Nephalem

Question

Just now, GnarlsDarkley said:

Well...it's +150% multiplicative from your base crit chance instead a flat +90% crit chance.

Taking the typical spin2win weapon, Atterax, with its 25% CC you'll end up with 37,5%CC instead of 115%CC while sliding.

That's roughly 1/3 of its original power

I like how the mentioned spin will remain the same and instead they nerfed the mod itself.Gota hand it to DE,every mainline patch they do they have to F up something.

Welp,in short spin is dead.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nephalem said:

I like how the mentioned spin will remain the same

I was saying the exact same a couple of hours ago

7 hours ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

I clearly remember Scott saying in one of the first Melee 3.0 Devstream when Reb was on the Plains: "You can still play as of now. Nothing will change if you don't want it".

Well, I guess, it was a lie. Again. I cannot play like before because my output is now 4k at 12x instead of 270k at 3x with the same weapon and build :clem:

3 minutes ago, Nephalem said:

in short spin is dead.

kinda. Guandao and Orthos Prime can still red crit, but it's a lot weaker and only viable until Sortie 1

Just now, CephalonDizzy said:

Wouldn't it be 62.5% while sliding?

maybe. I was never very good at math and I was trying to do quickmath lol

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

Wouldn't it be 62.5% while sliding?  It would be 37.5% bonus on top of the 25% base crit chance.  Still decently strong but much weaker than before.

The real nerf in my opinion was to blood rush, since the combo multiplier crit bonus only accounts for base crit.  So no longer would it be base crit + 90% from maiming strike * blood rush multiplier.

6 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

I was saying the exact same a couple of hours ago

kinda. Guandao and Orthos Prime can still red crit, but it's a lot weaker and only viable until Sortie 1

Im using Guandao and i barely Hit orange crits with blood rush,constant yellow crits and the damage is pathetic.Keep in mind i have a riven with 128% slide and 95,6% Cd with a  5.6x crit mult.The damage is indeed a bit higher since they increaced the base one but the crits are pathetic.What a waste of kuva.....136 rerolls for nothing.Now i need a CC+CD one instead of slide.

TY DE for a nother lie!They always have to nerf the good stuffs and give us crapy new things to use instead.

Initialy i thought the slide crit will increace with each ussage like the first slide +30% next one +60 up to 150% but it seems its much worse....

Edited by Nephalem

9 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Well, I guess, it was a lie. Again.

Did you honestly expect them to not nerf Maiming Overload? They said multiple times "yes we are nerfing Maiming Strike and Condition Overload"

But then you go and cherrypick one piece of evidence that might give you hope they're not nerfing it so you can accuse them of "lies"

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

"You can still play as of now. Nothing will change if you don't want it".

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

Did you honestly expect them to not nerf Maiming Overload? They said multiple times "yes we are nerfing Maiming Strike and Condition Overload"

But then you go and cherrypick one piece of evidence that might give you hope they're not nerfing it so you can accuse them of "lies"

They mention on dev streams and prime time that it will Remain the same and nothing will change(regarding maiming strike).Do you think anyone would say something if they kept theyr word?I mean ok,its verry usefulll some decreace in CC but this is over the top.The mod is literaly non existent.It does nothing to the damage now.

2 minutes ago, Nephalem said:

They mention on dev streams and prime time that it will Remain the same and nothing will change(regarding maiming strike).Do you think anyone would say something if they kept theyr word?

No they did not promise you that Maiming Strike would remain exactly the same:

On 2019-10-18 at 10:58 AM, [DE]Bear said:

9. Mod Re-balancing and Functionality Changes

For full transparency, some of these are nerfs to specific Mods

• Condition Overload - Now stacks at a maximum of 3 Status Effects, however damage is being increased from 60% to a higher percent to balance the change. Final % to come. 
  • Maiming Strike - Changes from an additive buff to a stacking buff, but base functionality increased to a Significant % of the old version to balance the change. Final % to come soon.

Note the date. Note. The. Date. They told you weeks ago that Maiming Strike was going to get a big honking nerf

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

which makes this a lie

First off, I don't even believe you when they said they weren't nerfing it. They made absolutely no secret they HATED Maiming Strike and were going to nerf it to kingdom come. That's why they made it stop hitting enemies through walls. Secondly, changing a product before release is not a lie. Or are you going to call Ken Levine a liar because Bioshock Infinite removed the scene where you land on a blimp to break your fall?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

First off, I don't even believe you when they said they weren't nerfing it. They made absolutely no secret they HATED Maiming Strike and were going to nerf it to kingdom come. That's why they made it stop hitting enemies through walls. Secondly, changing a product before release is not a lie. Or are you going to call Ken Levine a liar because Bioshock Infinite removed the scene where you land on a blimp to break your fall?

We are talking about DE here not the other S#&$y compaies that do what ever they please regardless of how it will affect the players.

12 minutes ago, Nephalem said:

We are talking about DE here

And if you can tell me how DE changing an update before it shifts is a "lie" while Irrational Games changing their product before it ships isn't a "lie", I'm listening

Products change in development all the time. Don't bother wasting time saying "you lied to us!" without understanding what lies actually are. What you, Nephalem, should be doing is posting feedback about how the finished product doesn't satisfy you (after all, there's a LOT of feedback you could give on crit weapons and combo counter). And yes, you are still allowed to use examples of pre-release previews as examples of superior alternatives, just don't get hung up on "promises" and "lies". Save that for the class-action lawsuit, Gnarls

On 2019-11-02 at 5:30 PM, GnarlsDarkley said:

end of 2018 in the Devstream they promised they won't change it.

october 2019 they announce they nerf it.

which makes this a lie. and a fact.

We knew it, yes. But this doesn't cover up the lie.

That was a long time ago lol gg. They changed their minds after all the spin-to-win complaints, and I don't blame them. Using macros to spin around like a damn beyblade and wiping out entire rooms in mere seconds was never intended.

• Like 1

On 2019-11-02 at 1:02 PM, Nephalem said:

I like how the mentioned spin will remain the same and instead they nerfed the mod itself.Gota hand it to DE,every mainline patch they do they have to F up something.

Welp,in short spin is dead.

They buffed combo multiplier heavily. Before it took like 1 minute to reach 3x  now it takes like 10s.

The problem is people complaining only are looking at single numbers, but not all the changes combined.

It sure isn't as powerful as before - but now it is actually balanced to its intended purpose as a gap closer and combo multiplier.

So heavy attacks can focus more on single target damage.

Edited by xxswatelitexx

On 2019-11-02 at 12:02 PM, Nephalem said:

This actually made it more balanced. Guass with the spin to win was top teired at one point before the nerf. lol Even running upside down it kill faster than you can blink

9 hours ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

Maiming is multiplicative now and it is no longer a sick combo with blood rush because blood rush used to be calculated after all other crit mods, now it simply goes off base crit chance all the time.  In short, both mods were weakened quite a bit with the melee rework.  

All crits and status are off base damage now. Just balanced the OP effects of mods. At least they didn't go as far as nerfing riven disposition from 5 to 0 on catchmoon that over 50% of players used. lol Couldnt believe that number when i saw it on stream. ahah they should have Zer0ed the Riven Dis.

Edited by kwlingo

On 2019-11-02 at 6:45 PM, TARINunit9 said:

They made absolutely no secret they HATED Maiming Strike

maybe they should start thinking about their choices of releases beforehand instead of throwing it out and hating the fact that players love to use the new contend in ways DE never intended it. and ofc, removing/changing it then, will piѕѕ off those players who loved this 'contend'. maiming strike wasn't the first 'mistake' DE made and let us 'beta-tester' do their work - riven mods were just another example to this rashness, as are many frame abilities in the past.

so, do I hate the change they done to the maiming strike (and the same riven stat with this effect)? i sure do! what piѕses me of most though, is that this 'nerf' is yet another idea they seemingly didn't thought through... at least not for those players who like playing long endless mission in which maiming cheese was a very good way to deal with high level enemies. now, only you run-of-the-mill nuker will do the job - which makes those runs even less appealing for many player. as for the 'normal' mission-doing behaviour, the spin-to-win still kills about every mob below level 100... so this was rather pointless if DE thought to prevent veteran player destroying the game-experience for new player. or, DE just hate whe we doing long endless missions, for what reasons ever - at least, i get this feeling from certain changes DE made over the years.

1 hour ago, fr4gb4ll said:

as for the 'normal' mission-doing behaviour, the spin-to-win still kills about every mob below level 100... so this was rather pointless if DE thought to prevent veteran player destroying the game-experience for new player. or, DE just hate whe we doing long endless missions, for what reasons ever - at least, i get this feeling from certain changes DE made over the years.

I highly doubt you can call the Maiming Strike nerf a failure just because you can still steal all the kills from an MR0 by using an Atterax. This is a world where Maimquinox still exists, so obviously that wasn't their end goal.

Their end goal almost certainly WAS to kill our ability to do endless missions. They have to pick their poison between watching us survive 2 hours in Arbitrations and watching their next big content update succeed: DE is about to release Plains of Duvuri and Railjack, and from both a game design perspective and a business perspective their ability to succeed is GREATLY diminished if players just use the same dominant strategy of Maiming Body Rush Overload

An analogy I used a couple weeks ago was Starcraft circa 2016. The original Zerg Rush (build 8 to 10 Zerglings in less than three minutes and win the game in less than five) was an obvious power outlier in the early meta, and Blizzard had to nerf the hell out of it. The only way the meta was going to flourish was to nerf Zerglings -- which didn't happen in isolation, several Zerg units were BUFFED in that same patch (much like in WF right now). While it's comparing PvP to PvE, a similar situation is going on here: DE feel they can't make a good update revolving around the previous power structure

Le 2/11/2019 à 18:30, GnarlsDarkley a dit :

end of 2018 in the Devstream they promised they won't change it.

october 2019 they announce they nerf it.

which makes this a lie. and a fact.

We knew it, yes. But this doesn't cover up the lie.

Cherry picking. You really are gonna use what they said in 2018 ? While the project was still WIP ? As opposed to the stream that was partially dedicated to its launch ?

Stop it with your "it's a lie" nonsense. A lie means that you were promised something in that case. They did not promise anything to you, they only gave you a sneackpick at their ideas at the time. So entitled...