Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

BUFF Garuda!

PRI3RAK729

And that is a massive difference. Before she needed

1/0.5 = 2.0 = 200% Power Strength to reach 100% Status chance,
Now
1/0.75 = 1.34 = 134% Power Strength to reach 100% Status chance.

Add that the casting speed was increased by 15% and you got yourself a perfect buff, if anything perhaps a bit to big. But that is way too early to judge so my recommendation would be to play her and have fun.

1 hour ago, Hellmaker2004 said:

Now

This change makes Blind Rage not as needed in my Builds. I switched that for Transient Fortitude and the Energy increase from her 3 means it only take 3 Cast with 100% Efficiency to be at full Energy from 40 - 60+ Energy. 

Also the explosion radius is only noticeable if you jump up and throw the Blood Orb from Dread Mirror.

2 hours ago, Leon-Darkheart said:

the problem i have with her is that her craws (if she doesnt equip any melee) are just to weak, even more in the new melee....

a bigger issue is that they STILL block half the screen when aiming with primary or secondary weapons

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hellmaker2004 said:

And that is a massive difference. Before she needed

Now

Add that the casting speed was increased by 15% and you got yourself a perfect buff, if anything perhaps a bit to big. But that is way too early to judge so my recommendation would be to play her and have fun.

I think its fine overall. Big but not crazy. It just heavily lowered the floor for garuda where even modding her comfortably is kind of tough. 

You needed at least 180% for remote consistency in your bleeds. 200% if you wanted to guarantee nothing falls through the cracks with your clear combo.

As for her bloodletting, it really just speeds her up if anything. Lets you sacrifice efficiency without taking as severe of a hit to energy regen. Her energy sustainable is essentislly the same but now you areny spending anywhere near as much time casting and means you dont have to use streamline just to get some extra comfort out of it. Though 50% energy with streamline is just pure joy.

The cast speed is only on her chsrging her ult btw. They shaved maybe .1 second off the actual cast, i can barely feel it. But the charge speed is niiiice.

Honestly its crazy how they just made her smoother to get working but didnt really buff her thaaaat much. Cause remember, capping your bleed now only nets you a ~30% heal if that. Youre still going to want good strength as you get familiar with her to really be able to survive more nasty situations. 

But now you arent required to hit as high % to reach that comfort and consistency threshold. Slots you could use to potentially experiment with more focused builds.

Im going to get working on a max range build for her the moment I get a chance. Spread the healing! Who needs strength when you have 3 altars reaching to the ends of the earth to make up for it.

Edit: Well i can't read. Turns out bloodletting got trimmed, not seeking talons. 

Edited by Annnoth
  • Like 1

This patch (26.1) gave us a niiiice juicy buff to Garuda. Seeking Talons becoming 75% chance to proc Bleed is a huge difference, since (as Annoth said above) you now don't need nearly as much Strength to have enemies bleed consistently. When she was released I developed the "Bloodbomb" build, focused on 200% Strength to guarantee the proc, then supercharging her Dread Heart for massive damage and an associated massive bleed, but since I needed 200% Strength there wasn't a lot of build space for spreading its range or surviving.

My current Bloodbomb build (2 Forma) is leagues better now. The core difference is a lower Strength but a much larger area of effect It's got:

• Overextended and Stretch (235% Range)
  • maxed Blind Range to balance OE (139% Strength)
  • Rank 4 Fleeting and a Streamline to balance BR (125% Efficiency)
  • P.Continuity to balance Fleeting (105% Duration).

That's the core of the build, and you can pop in any other mods to your preferences. This current build makes it so that the Dread Heart hits all enemies in a 23.5m radius, with a guaranteed Slash proc based on the Heart's damage. Which is a lot.

I've had some thoughts on her. 

• Garuda should be able to use her 1 (Dread Mirror) on a creature pinned by 2 (Blood Altar),  to execute them.  If not outright,  then if they are under the threshold as normal, the only difference being that they can't die while pinned by the 2 meaning you eliminate the blindingly obvious problem where nothing is ever going to be within the threshold that you'd ever get to use her 1 to execute anything.  Adding a synergy where executing a blood altar grants a heal would be nice (Since it'd end the healing aura zone).

It'd also be nice if her 1 executions counted as a Mercy Kill,  and could execute Thralls (Secret Mercy) as well,  just as a fun semi reliable way pull it off and integrating the new mercy mechanics into play.  Likewise it'd be nice if you could mercy kill an enemy pinned by blood altar.

Giving her damage reduction when she executes enemies would be INCREDIBLY HELPFUL and both mechanically and thematically appropriate. Like I can't even begin. A number of frames get to have damage reduction, but garuda is ignored and frequently called a glass cannon, except her "Cannon" takes an hour to pull off, is easily disrupted, and nukes a small area for the same damage and area that you can get if you just do a heavy slam attack.

So let her use 1 to execute enemies pinned with 2, and for executing an enemy you get damage reduction. (This is the primary reason for me commenting, and the main point I want to get across.  The one golden tweak above all else that I desperately want to see implemented.)

I feel like just this simple and obvious tweak would make her feel so much more engaging to play and make her abilities make more sense.  Otherwise it kinda feels like... ah,  not great design as-is.

• Another concern is how awkward her 4 can be.  Because of the jump the targeting retical can leave an enemy,  so it doesn't effect them by the time your animation is over.  Making it mark enemies while the reticle is up and then fire at marked enemies would be great.   It could still work as it does now,  but enemies in line of sight get marked regardless if you lose line of sight,  while it still works normally as it does now otherwise (Targeting enemies within the cone, but not within line of sight, in addition to enemies that were "marked" while you were aiming).  Just a quality of life perk... Considering it takes so darn long to cast as is.   It'd also be nice if tapping 4 would quickly fire off talons in that small cone without the long animations.

• A separate concern, but It'd also be nice if it didn't take so much effort to invest in creating a blood orb bomb,  Just pressing Q or M1 gives you equivalent damage without having to awkwardly build up a stack.  Making it charge significantly faster would go a long way. 

... Dread Mirror is both a horrible and unreliable defensive ability,  and an incredibly situational and unreliable offensive ability.

You might as well just be using a melee weapon,  the mirror protection is only marginally better than melee blocking.

It's just never worth using.   And I mean never. It's always more viable to do anything else, that doesn't take so long to work.  Especially with the heavy attack rework (Which I love by the way,  I feel like I'm finally having fun for once.),  a heavy slam attack has the same area of effect as Garuda's blood bomb (Which is tiny by the way),  but with NO awkward charging and cast times,  just tap Heavy and nuke the same area for the same high damages as a sufficiently charged and stacked blood bomb.   

One way to fix this is if the blood bomb had a much greater base range and worked without line of sight.  The explosion range is so small as it stands,  the only way to make it worth using is if it were a proper nuke ability.  Just,  unlike other nuke abilities in the game it would take stacking up and a long cast animation/charge time to fire,  instead of a press x to win button.   

Or keep the ranges as is,  but make it far easier to use.

• Bloodletting. Such an awkward ability.  Energy on demand in exchange for getting one-shot by anything in the game, let alone stray status procs.   It scales (Very awkwardly) with efficiency,  yet with efficiency there is little reason to use it. It's barely even convenient the more you think about it.    It should scale with Strength instead, and then it's your choice if you want to stack efficiency on top of it.  Maybe it could scale with both Efficiency and Strength, allowing hybrids.

It also feels like it needs to have an additional use.   Such as create blood-clones of herself using the sacrificed HP, the clone having the HP you sacrificed.  It doesn't have to be a clone either, how cool would it be if it was a Garuda specific custom new minion/pet.   Blood golem,  skeleton-wight, bladed spider, lots of cool thematically appropriate options.   Tapping bloodletting again continues to add health to the same minion.  Holding creates a separate new minion, then tapping divides the health between them.  Alternatively it could be limited to two,  tapping is always 1 type of minion while holding is always a second type of minion.   Tapping could be an anchored immobile talon-spider that fires talons at enemies like a bow to impale enemies.  Holding could be a large blood golem (Or normal sized skeleton-looking thing.  Perhaps a "Skeleton" that instead of the skeletal structure, was the vascular structure. Seems fitting.) that follows you,  covering your back (A much appreciated synergy with Dread Mirror covering her front).  If cast within range of an anchored spider,  it'd instead remain in the area of the spider.

Edited by Kingsmount

On 2019-11-17 at 6:14 AM, D20 said:

Thanks man !

I also feel that Kuva Hyekka Masters can do the same as well, since their Ignis functions like ours than the normal Hyekka Master where their Ignis functions like the Scorch.

On topic, Garuda is by no means underpowered, but merely overshadowed. People go down path of least resistance just to get something done (Mesa, Inaros). Garuda and quite a few other frames could have some nice quality of life buffs.

I personally judge warframes by their viability to stay alive in arbitrations since that's the "hardest "content in the game and garuda just doesn't cut it. She's semi viable but has to run away a lot and is a huge risk factor because she can get deleted in less than a second after about 20 or 30 minutes in. Where as other frames such as inaros, valkyr, saryn and ember can just rush in and melt enemies with out much finesse needed.

21 hours ago, Duality52 said:

On topic, Garuda is by no means underpowered, but merely overshadowed. People go down path of least resistance just to get something done (Mesa, Inaros).

Pretty much this. The biggest reason why she gets ignored by other Players.

13 hours ago, Chaemyerelis said:

Where as other frames such as inaros, valkyr, saryn and ember can just rush in and melt enemies with out much finesse needed.

Inaros i understand, but he is perhaps one of the tankiest Warframes in the game so hardly fair to compare.
Valkyr i also understand, she is lacking in health a bit but her armor more than makes up for it and in the end we are talking Effective Health Points. 
Ember is also understandable, she does a lot of CC to and despite having mediocre base health and armor it is easily redeemed by her Immolation ability.

However Saryn, and here is where i am a bit confused, Now i am nowhere saying that Saryn is not tanky enough to make it 20 - 30 min in arbitration, what i am wondering is how you consider Saryn Tanky, but Garuda not?

Sadly it will be a bit unfair comparison since one have a Prime and the other one does not, however i still think we should compare Prime vs None Prime and simply remember that Garuda's stats will be buffed one way or another Soon™.

Garuda
Base Health; 100
Health at Rank 30; 300
Armor; 300
Base Shield; 100
Shield at Rank 30; 300
Base Energy; 120
Energy at Rank 30; 270

Saryn Prime
Base Health; 125
Health at Rank 30; 375
Armor; 300
Base Shield; 100
Shield at Rank 30; 300
Base Energy; 200
Energy at Rank 30; 300

This give us before adding in mods
Garuda EHP (300/(1-(300/(300+300))))+300 = 900

Saryn EHP (375/(1-(300/(300+300))))+300 = 1050

And this make sense since everything is the same except the base +25 health Saryn Prime have over Garuda

This also show that except on health mods they will scale the same, so that means shield mods, and armor mods, not that a lot of people care about shield or shield mods, however. 
Of course no one is going to play them with no mods but that is also where the next problem comes in, and that is how people mod their Warframes.

Now i am 100% Convinced that Garuda is not a shield tank, or even a health tank, i believe she is a energy tank. Now you may or may not agree with me but i think her kit fit that role almost perfectly but due to how people mod it is going to make a huge difference.

As a example, my Sarn Build uses mods that impact survival; Umbral Vitality, Umbral Fiber and Umbral intensify
This would give her +770% Health and +192.5% armor giving us.

Health
Y = 125
Z = 7.7
C = 375
Y+(YxZ)+(C-Y) = 125+(125x7.7)+(375-125) = 1337.5 Health

Armor
(300+(300x1.925)) = 877.5 Armor

Shield
300 Shield 

EHP
(1337.5/(1-(877.5/(877.5+300))))+300 ≈ 5550 Effective Health Points.

Now as a example, my Garuda Build uses mods that impact survival; Umbral Fiber, Umbral Intensify, Quick Thinking and Primed Flow
This would give her +137.5% armor, +275% energy maximum, 240% Energy efficiency on stopping lethal damage.

Health
300 Health

Armor
(300+(300x1.375)) = 712.5 Armor

Shield
300 Shield

Energy
Y = 120
Z = 2.75
C = 270
Y+(YxZ)+(C-Y) = 120+(120x2.75)+(270-120) = 600 Energy

EHP
(300/(1-(712.5/(712.5+300))))+(600/(1-(712.5/(712.5+300))))/(1-0.58333)+300 ≈ 6172 Effective Health Points.

TLDR

Once again this is not a perfect comparison since in this case only one of them is Primed, and one of them Garuda specifically are using one more mod but therein lies the problem, they are not the same and they will not be modded the same nor do the have the same toolkit, Some would argue that Molt can tank for years, other that it will barely survive a second after the absorb phase, likewise some will argue that Dread Mirror will absorb almost everything, others will argue it barely blocks anything. The main point here was not to diminish downsides of the frames but more to showcase that Garuda is not miles behind Saryn when it comes to survival, and if anything it is going to come down more to how you play and / or mod either of them.

1 hour ago, Hellmaker2004 said:

However Saryn, and here is where i am a bit confused, Now i am nowhere saying that Saryn is not tanky enough to make it 20 - 30 min in arbitration, what i am wondering is how you consider Saryn Tanky, but Garuda not?

What Saryn got over Garuda that make her survive easier is the Aggro of her Molt. With Regenerative Molt, Adaptation, and Arcane Guardians + the aggro, she don't have to worry that much about dying unless the enemies missed her Molt or she's too close to it. Outside of that though, she's barely more tanky.

Plus, this is from experience of having both of them at Mot and having a Ancient Healer Specter for both (not Arbitration Mot since that one is easier).

Edited by GPrime96

8 minutes ago, GPrime96 said:

What Saryn got over Garuda that make her survive easier is the Aggro of her Molt. With Regenerative Molt, Adaptation, and Arcane Guardians + the aggro, she don't have to worry that much about dying unless the enemies missed her Molt or she's too close to it. Outside of that though, she's barely more tanky.

To my understanding Garuda can also equip Adaptation, and Arcane Guardian.

And it is true she got Regenerative Molt, but in exchange Garuda have Blood Altar for health healing, and Bloodletting for Energy "Healing". And they both does not require a mod slot, like Regenerative Molt would.

And you are overvaluing Molt a lot, Molt has a base 900 EHP and only 500 of those that can get affected by Power Strength, it is true that molt has a 3 second absorb phase but molt neither guarantees that target will focus it, nor that they will hit it meaning that assuming any static value are kinda pointless, same as with Dread Mirror.

In both cases we could assume they will either in Molt's case, absorb 100% Of enemy DPS and thus having at least 6 seconds duration. Or that Dread Mirror would absorb a 100% Of enemy bullets, both would be untrue and thus they are both very hard to give a finite value.

4 hours ago, Hellmaker2004 said:

Inaros i understand, but he is perhaps one of the tankiest Warframes in the game so hardly fair to compare.

Inaros is like 8th or 9th. Doesn't even make top 5.

Didn't check any of that math but Garuda can hang around 20k eHP sitting on 2HP. Probably skipped Gladiator's Finesse and double Guardian.
Makes a big difference esp since the Energy efficiency reduction can't be double dipped by damage modifiers compared to Armor.

Adaptation doesn't work correctly with QT. If you take any Energy damage it won't refresh stacks. Given her Barrier. Not much point IMO.
They put Saryn's Molt aggro back where it was back in the day so I personally don't even bother with more than 1 Defensive mod for her.

18 hours ago, Hellmaker2004 said:

To my understanding Garuda can also equip Adaptation, and Arcane Guardian.

And it is true she got Regenerative Molt, but in exchange Garuda have Blood Altar for health healing, and Bloodletting for Energy "Healing". And they both does not require a mod slot, like Regenerative Molt would.

And you are overvaluing Molt a lot, Molt has a base 900 EHP and only 500 of those that can get affected by Power Strength, it is true that molt has a 3 second absorb phase but molt neither guarantees that target will focus it, nor that they will hit it meaning that assuming any static value are kinda pointless, same as with Dread Mirror.

In both cases we could assume they will either in Molt's case, absorb 100% Of enemy DPS and thus having at least 6 seconds duration. Or that Dread Mirror would absorb a 100% Of enemy bullets, both would be untrue and thus they are both very hard to give a finite value.

Well one of the biggest issues is that the drones remove her blood alter and when that happens you'll have to rely on a really good weapon or run for the hills. Another issue I've had was that one blood alter wasn't enough as I recall being deleted in a blood alter and I had a tanky build with the two umbral mods for armor, QT and the stagger debuff mod. admittedly I didn't have a level 3 arcane guardian at that point so perhaps I'll try again.

1 hour ago, Chaemyerelis said:

Well one of the biggest issues is that the drones remove her blood alter and when that happens you'll have to rely on a really good weapon or run for the hills. Another issue I've had was that one blood alter wasn't enough as I recall being deleted in a blood alter and I had a tanky build with the two umbral mods for armor, QT and the stagger debuff mod. admittedly I didn't have a level 3 arcane guardian at that point so perhaps I'll try again.

Yeah,  health gain doesn't mean much when everything one-shots you, and Garuda isn't very tanky.  Which is why all my suggestion include ways of her getting damage reduction.

A brawler that can't brawl,  a glass cannon without really having a cannon in comparison to other cannon frames.  Her blood orb is awkward as hell to work with, and for the same results as you'd get by just tapping heavy attack to do a heavy slam, but with no set up or charging required.

I feel the only thing she has going for her is infinite energy, but without really having a use for it,  and the bleed procs on her 4 though that's also awkward to use with the charge up to effect a meaningful area, and the long animations.   Her dread mirror is just an awful defensive ability that is both unreliable,  and not significantly better than just the melee block mechanics.

Imagine for a second if Garuda can use her 1 to execute enemies pinned by her 2.  And whenever she executes an enemy she gets a durational damage resistance scaling up to 40%, but stacks up to 95%.  Every execute refreshes the overall duration.  Would still work with that invulnerability augment,  since that's only 5 seconds,  the damage resistance would be useful in between.

She'd be so much more playable and enjoyable.

Edited by Kingsmount

My problems with her is similar to that of which @D20 speaks about; Her survivability is based on a directional shield, on an attack which pulls her to melee distance. Not that great, imo. While D20's ideas are one way to go, I'd rather go the other way; Make her more melee-oriented and tanky, rather than have her shield encourage a very weird and confused mix of melee and range (the mix of melee and range is fine - but not with the use of a frontal shield).

Why?

Because her whole "thrive in blood" style just doesn't fit with the nature of her 1st ability's defensive system, which encourages a more "campy" kind of style.

But how would I change it?

Make her 1st a bit more like Nezha's #3 - but instead of relying on an initial damage absorbtion to scale its defenses, use the abliity's offensive nature, i.e. charging in and ripping out the lifeforce of an enemy to create a healthbased absorbtion shield / buff (rather than an invulnerable frontal shield). While this absorbtion shield would wear away to protect her from partial harm, just like on Nezha (could even be the same 90% absorbtion), it also seperately has a "Dread Heart" storage, fueled both by all the damage you've dealt with the ability and all the damage that's been protected with the absorbtion shield, which would be used for the damage of the Dread Heart holdcast attack. Which is similar to Nezha's #1 augment, in fact.

This mean the Dread Mirror (i.e. the absorbing shield) and Dread Heart (i.e. the nuke) would have its two mechanics almost entirely split up - meaning, you can run out of the shield, while still having the Dread Heart fueled up and ready to be thrown - or you could throw the heart and still have the Dread Mirror's health absorbtion keeping you alive.

This makes the whole kit mesh a bit better; #1 and #2 directly interact with one another to keep her safe from harm (regardless of the direction she is facing), while #3 still fuels her energy, especially when kept being healed by her #2 , and #1 and #4 still deals with the nuking offense (at range still, even).

Edited by Azamagon

1 hour ago, (XB1)Wham A Hand said:

Has anyone found anything out about the garuda buffs that are coming? I believe iwoply did a vid briefly mentioning this. 

Its in the patch notes for update update 26.1. Or one of them after that.

Blootletting went from 25% energy restored to 33%

Proc chance on seeking talons went from 50% to 75% and its charge speed went up like 15%

Unless there are others i dont know about.

Edited by Annnoth

On 2019-11-16 at 2:36 PM, PRI3RAK729 said:

But it confused me even more  . . . Why Garuda is so "glassy" then?

Probably to balance the fact that she can kill a lvl 1000 as easy as a level 1 without charging her skills.

Unfortunately her skill floor is higher than it should be by comparison of other less risky warframes who require less but do almost as much.

The nature of Risk vs Reward is tilted out of her favor due to the over powered nature of her peers.

Edited by (PS4)psycofang

6 hours ago, Azamagon said:

My problems with her is similar to that of which @D20 speaks about; Her survivability is based on a directional shield, on an attack which pulls her to melee distance. Not that great, imo. While D20's ideas are one way to go, I'd rather go the other way; Make her more melee-oriented and tanky, rather than have her shield encourage a very weird and confused mix of melee and range (the mix of melee and range is fine - but not with the use of a frontal shield).

Why?

Because her whole "thrive in blood" style just doesn't fit with the nature of her 1st ability's defensive system, which encourages a more "campy" kind of style.

But how would I change it?

Make her 1st a bit more like Nezha's #3 - but instead of relying on an initial damage absorbtion to scale its defenses, use the abliity's offensive nature, i.e. charging in and ripping out the lifeforce of an enemy to create a healthbased absorbtion shield / buff (rather than an invulnerable frontal shield). While this absorbtion shield would wear away to protect her from partial harm, just like on Nezha (could even be the same 90% absorbtion), it also seperately has a "Dread Heart" storage, fueled both by all the damage you've dealt with the ability and all the damage that's been protected with the absorbtion shield, which would be used for the damage of the Dread Heart holdcast attack. Which is similar to Nezha's #1 augment, in fact.

This mean the Dread Mirror (i.e. the absorbing shield) and Dread Heart (i.e. the nuke) would have its two mechanics almost entirely split up - meaning, you can run out of the shield, while still having the Dread Heart fueled up and ready to be thrown - or you could throw the heart and still have the Dread Mirror's health absorbtion keeping you alive.

This makes the whole kit mesh a bit better; #1 and #2 directly interact with one another to keep her safe from harm (regardless of the direction she is facing), while #3 still fuels her energy, especially when kept being healed by her #2 , and #1 and #4 still deals with the nuking offense (at range still, even).

I don't know. Instead of the run of the mill 'damage reduction' why not introduce something more appropriate for her theme?

'Overhealth' : Whenever Garuda executes an enemy affected by Blood Altar with Dread mirror, the enemy dies instantly and Garuda gains health. This health can stack exponentially.

On paper it looks op, but paired that she'll need her 3 to recharge her energy time to time, I think it might allow her to have an 'okay' amount of added survivability.
Plus if she drips blood and leave bloodied footsteps while having 'Overhealth' it would be totally awesome.

Of course, she would still need to have her shield fixed.

2 hours ago, Annnoth said:

Its in the patch notes for update update 26.1. Or one of them after that.

Blootletting went from 25% energy restored to 33%

Proc chance on seeking talons went from 50% to 75% and its charge speed went up like 15%

Unless there are others i dont know about.

Oh, Thanks! I missed the notes. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think 15% charge speed is a good increase?

Just now, (XB1)Wham A Hand said:

Oh, Thanks! I missed the notes. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think 15% charge speed is a good increase?

I go into much more detail somewhere towards the top of this page but to sum it up.

Basically shes has a way smoother mod curve now. 36% strength gets you 100% bleed chance and 33% base energy recovered is good. Otherwise shes largely the same.

The speed increase is good but TBH I rarely charge it so it only shaves off like .2-.3 seconds for me.