Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should we be able to name our Operator?

-Krism-

2 minutes ago, xBloodySin said:

Did you even read it before posting? "Username in Warframe." "Reserves the right to ban any account/alias deemed offensive."

Or now you're going to say username is "just name in the Warframe future" to try to keep on trolling?

I'm not trolling, you clearly are... it's is you USERNAME in WARFRAME, the game that you are signing in, so it will be clearly what you are be called in WARFRAME, the DE resersves the right to BAN YOUR ACCOUNT if you put a ofensive name or just the ALIAS you have chosen (if it is a minor offense, for example), dont keep trolling anymore please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

The text box doesn't say "ingame name", it says "username". The name used to identify the user of the game, not the character within the game. Username =/= character name.

Plenty of games and platforms have a "username" and separate "character names".

Bringing lore arguments into this... holy.

Text can be changed, you know? It doesn't take 5 seconds to stop the line pulling your account name, and pulling a chosen name instead.

It doesnt have to say "ingame name" because commom sense, you know? 😕

Just now, Duskham said:

I'm not trolling, you clearly are... it's is you USERNAME in WARFRAME, the game that you are signing in, so it will be clearly what you are be called in WARFRAME, the DE resersves the right to BAN YOUR ACCOUNT if you put a ofensive name or just the ALIAS you have chosen (if it is a minor offense, for example), dont keep trolling anymore please.

Your "no u" argument closes the case as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully others make better use of their time instead of wasting it further replying to you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

This is not correct, and the OP is falling into the same false assumption. Several characters address us in their dialogues using our usernames, so, lorewise, that is the name of our character. Lorewise, our character is the tenno operator who commands all of our warframes; and since  we dont have  multiple characters, he/she is the 'personification' of our account. Like it or not, that nickname is how your tenno is identified.

And to directly answer the OP's question, if you ask me, i don't think having a separate name for our operator would make much sense, for the reasons already stated  above.

Except that hardly qualifies as lore, and even if it was, it could easily, EASILY, be retconned with absolutely no negative repercussions (to the lore)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Phatose said:

If the Operator's going to have a name separate from the account, we shouldn't be able to set it.   It should simply be a fixed name, because that way it can exist in the voice acting, instead of being a text value that is never actually used in anything important.  Also avoid loads of possible confusion, since a player would still be identified with a single name.

It's a nice idea and we even have that, but it is not used (Heron, Falcon, Raven, Owl etc)

2 minutes ago, xBloodySin said:

Your "no u" argument closes the case as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully others make better use of their time instead of wasting it further replying to you.

It was not a "no u" argument, i literally explained part for part why i was right. See? that why i said you are trolling, stop wasting your time and MY time.

Edited by Duskham

2 minutes ago, Duskham said:

Please, please, please just acknowledge for us the concept that in-universe names and the account name under which your game exists are not explicitly the same thing. It is impossible for me to believe that you're making an honest argument here. It's not possible that you don't understand the distinction, or that the screenshot you took is exactly what DeMonkey said and not what you did.

4 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

This is not correct, and the OP is falling into the same false assumption. Several characters address us in their dialogues using our usernames, so, lorewise, that is the name of our character.

That is in fact the problem, yes. OP's stuck on the Operator, but that's a symptom and irrelevant.

24 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

You're welcome to check with the OP (original poster) if you believe I have misrepresented their OP (original post).

You're not, you're pretty much the only one (except a few others) that exactly understood what I said

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cicasajt said:

operator=you

operator's name=your name

Your Warframe is controlled by your Operator.

Your Operator is controlled by you.

If:

Operator=Warframe

You=Operator

Then, You=Warframe.

Hence, why every Warframe has but one n—Hey, wait a minute...

Your Operator is just the second layer of the onion that is your digital avatar.

My Operator is based on my daughter.

Not on my RL user name...hence your line of thought being the only RIGHT line of thought limits possibility and kills a way for DE to make a little platinum ta’ Boot.

You can have an Operator name appear RIGHT BELOW the user name if you think DE requires it...it’s not hard.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

Please, please, please just acknowledge for us the concept that in-universe names and the account name under which your game exists are not explicitly the same thing. It is impossible for me to believe that you're making an honest argument here. It's not possible that you don't understand the distinction, or that the screenshot you took is exactly what DeMonkey said and not what you did.

That is in fact the problem, yes. OP's stuck on the Operator, but that's a symptom and irrelevant.

What i have to acknowledge? there are games that you can choose you character name in the character creation, yes (like WoW, Black Desert and others) and well, these games you have the character personalization since the beginning it will not spoil the player anything, BUT there are too TONS of games that you create a account and your Alias/Username is your character name (i think they are even the majority of the games out there...), and it is commom sense, nobody argues with that. I dont see why with warframe is different...

So your Alias is you chatacter name in warframe, there is no questioning about it. Do we need to have another name to our operator? NO! it will be worth anything? NO! They can do it in a cool way and includes a lore explanation to you suddenly have to name your operator anything else? Maybe, in duviri 😄 you guys should stop saying "Nobody is understanding what i said! everyone is dumb! :CCC" because we dont like your suggestion, this is disgusting.

Edited by Duskham

... You're all taking the wrong approach here... This thread lost sense on its opening post.

Account Name : [Login Details] (which is why we log in!)

Operator/Character Name: [The name you actually placed thinking it was the Account Name, in the first place] (Which DE lets you change it by a modest fee)

Look, this is simply a thing about not having two name options to use, like Skyforge has. A "First Name" and a "Surname" in which both are used as an end result to "simulate" a proper name.

In game where this option does not exist, a thread is NOT created in a forum to spark a heated discussion between several pair of morons while the OP is laughing at your faces while you're all comparing how big is your circus ePeen in a pointless debate... No, in a game where such an option does not exist, the user normally separates both "First Name" and "Surname" with a very underrated character -> _ <- which is usually called as "underscore". And no, its impossible to avoid those morons that put "Your_Mom" or "Your_Moms_Mom" or something similar and/or more offensive.

The OP mentioned to another player about his post being mostly a "What if" thing? Well, that "What if" should've been used by the OP back in 2013, on account creation.

8 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Bringing lore arguments into this... holy.

Text can be changed, you know? It doesn't take 5 seconds to stop the line pulling your account name, and pulling a chosen name instead.

No one is  saying that changing  that would be easy or difficult, the OP asked if we should be able to have a separate name for the operator; and in my opinion, no, we shouldn't, because that would make the operator another item of our inventory, like a zaw, a kitgun or a pet; and that wouldn't make sense with how the  game introduces us to it's story. Heck, even the devs address the players as 'Tenno' when posting in social media and such.

7 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

No, it's not irrelevant at all, for the reasons i already mentioned. Like it or not, this  is  how it is, and i'm pretty sure what the OP suggests is not going to happen, ever. Narrative is a big part of this game and this would directly clash with it.

1 minute ago, General-Pacman said:

No one is  saying that changing  that would be easy or difficult, the OP asked if we should be able to have a separate name for the operator; and in my opinion, no, we shouldn't, because that would make the operator another item of our inventory, like a zaw, a kitgun or a pet; and that wouldn't make sense with how the  game introduces us to it's story. Heck, even the devs address the players as 'Tenno' when posting in social media and such.

No, it's not irrelevant at all, for the reasons i already mentioned. Like it or not, this  is  how it is, and i'm pretty sure what the OP suggests is not going to happen, ever. Narrative is a big part of this game and this would directly clash with it.

You can change your operators gender/physical features/voice ect. Changing their name would have absolutely no impact.

5 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

No one is  saying that changing  that would be easy or difficult, the OP asked if we should be able to have a separate name for the operator; and in my opinion, no, we shouldn't, because that would make the operator another item of our inventory

How so? If anything it makes them more personal, and less like items in your inventory. 

You just argued that they have a name already, so how does changing it make them an item when the ability to remake them on the fly doesn't?

Edited by DeMonkey

7 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

Okay then. In that case, you disagree with Duskham and company more than you disagree with the OP or me or DeMonkey, because you agree that narrative matters, while nearly everyone arguing against is making the case that narrative doesn't matter and it's just your username whatever, get over it.

7 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

As for a separate name for the Operator independent of ... the Operator, the character you've been playing the entire time? No, that doesn't make any sense. Look again at the post you quoted. The problem is the use of the account name as the name of the character. Like ... the actual sum character, the one that bosses and syndicates recognize for taunts and standing respectively.

Edited by CopperBezel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

How so? If anything it makes them more personal, and less like items in your inventory. 

You just argued that they have a name already, so how does changing it make them an item?

Is it sad that 10 minutes of reading this thread has equaled or surpassed the entertainment value of the last two days of grinding floating titanium rocks in space or moving a murmur circle 1/16 of an inch?  VERY Immersive 😆

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

Just now, CopperBezel said:

Okay then. In that case, you disagree with Duskham and company more than you disagree with the OP or me or DeMonkey, because you agree that narrative matters, while nearly everyone arguing against is making the case that narrative doesn't matter and it's just your username whatever, get over it.

As for a separate name for the Operator independent of ... the Operator, the character you've been playing the entire time? No, that doesn't make any sense. Look again at the post you quoted. The problem is the use of the account name as the name of the character. Like ... the actual sum character, the one that bosses and syndicates recognize for taunts and standing respectively.

I never said that narrative doesnt matter, tbh idk if narrative and lore is the same thing... but well, if they are i said multiple times in this thread that i would feel cool to name our operators (like giving them a name and surname, because they are already named) IF we got a cool lore explanation together with it. To me our alias (the name we have now) are like soldier alias that our Tenno used as "tenno soldiers" or to get beyond they past, and they real name are long forgotten (well, our operator do have some memory loss or something) so if in the Duviri we get to find our "true selves" it would be nice to get a new name

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Your Warframe is controlled by your Operator.

Your Operator is controlled by you.

If:

Operator=Warframe

You=Operator

Then, You=Warframe.

Hence, why every Warframe has but one n—Hey, wait a minute...

Your Operator is just the second layer of the onion that is your digital avatar.

My Operator is based on my daughter.

Not on my RL user name...hence your line of thought being the only RIGHT line of thought limits possibility and kills a way for DE to make a little platinum ta’ Boot.

You can have an Operator name appear RIGHT BELOW the user name if you think DE requires it...it’s not hard.

ye but operator is not the warframe. warframe is a being controlled by the operator which is you because you play the game, and u operate the keyboard

also please leave me alone. i dont want more notifications

Edited by Cicasajt

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Is it sad that 10 minutes of reading this thread has equaled or surpassed the last two days of grinding floating titanium rocks in space or moving a murmur circle 1/16 of an inch? 😆

Don't you like it? Im loving this. It's like a breath of fresh air, and it's actually a quite interesting argument.

7 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

You can change your operators gender/physical features/voice ect. Changing their name would have absolutely no impact.

7 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

You just argued that they have a name already, so how does changing it make them an item when the ability to remake them on the fly doesn't?

I think the problem we are having here is purely a matter of perception. You guys think that the operator should have a separated, unique name, because our account name does not represent him/her. I believe that the tenno is the personification of our account, so having a separate name wouldn't make sense to me. Is any of this two conceptions wrong? I think not, they are just different. My biggest question about the OP's suggestion is: what would it change? Imagine that we had the option of naming  our operator at a certain option (like, at the end of the second dream or whenever). Now imagine that, later on, you regret of your naming choice and you wish to change it. How do you imagine that would work? My guess, the same way as changing your account name. So, whats the point?

9 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

Don't you like it? Im loving this. It's like a breath of fresh air, and it's actually a quite interesting argument.

I think the problem we are having here is purely a matter of perception. You guys think that the operator should have a separated, unique name, because our account name does not represent him/her. I believe that the tenno is the personification of our account, so having a separate name wouldn't make sense to me. Is any of this two conceptions wrong? I think not, they are just different. My biggest question about the OP's suggestion is: what would it change? Imagine that we had the option of naming  our operator at a certain option (like, at the end of the second dream or whenever). Now imagine that, later on, you regret of your naming choice and you wish to change it. How do you imagine that would work? My guess, the same way as changing your account name. So, whats the point?

We'd be able to put spaces in our names, and have first and middle and last names. And it wouldn't be something that has to be unique, either, not like our usernames. That's why. It wouldn't have the restrictions that our usernames have, restrictions that make them unsuitable as character names.

So, if you don't like the idea of our Operators having separate names from our accounts, then instead of naming our accounts, we should be able to have a Display Name that is separate from our Account Name/User Name, and this Display Name becomes the name of our character. If you can't understand why people want a separate name for our operators, can you at least understand my rational for why the current usernames are inadequate for serving as a character name?

Edited by TheGildedOni

Again, none of us knew we were naming anything other than our accounts or anything within the universe of Warframe. It would change, you know, the choice of the original name. Not in my case, because I don't happen to have this problem, but seriously. X /

Edited by CopperBezel

I'm reasonably happy with the name I have I got the same one for PC and PS4 accounts (switch too if I ever start over again kind of wish I had a switch when they were doing transfers).  Any time I'm entering a game name I'm always trying to get one that is pronounceable without dashes underscores or numbers...

I wouldn't be against having the option to rename the operator similar to how we rename pets I don't see why there's so much friction against it, it doesn't seem like it matters that much either way Imo.

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary