Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag Passive Is Obsolete

(PSN)LoisGordils

With the introduction of the Fetch mod for pets, Mag's passive became even more redundant and obsolete. With Sentinels and Beasts already having the ability to grant vaccum, you'd have to forego using companions altogether to not have vaccum up. And even more so, Greedy Pull is a thing.

My suggestion: Mag's use of magnetic force to attract pickups and resources to her is actually interesting, yet redundant. My idea is that the magnetic force on bullet jumping be kept, but instead of pulling resources it will yank enemy weapons off their hands. The enemies are disarmed and would have to pick up their guns again in order to continue firing. Being a disarming passive activated by mere bullet jumping, a range nerf I believe would be necessary. However, this is a trivial price compared to having temporary disarm on demand.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

With the introduction of the Fetch mod for pets, Mag's passive became even more redundant and obsolete. With Sentinels and Beasts already having the ability to grant vaccum, you'd have to forego using companions altogether to not have vaccum up. And even more so, Greedy Pull is a thing.

My suggestion: Mag's use of magnetic force to attract pickups and resources to her is actually interesting, yet redundant. My idea is that the magnetic force on bullet jumping be kept, but instead of pulling resources it will yank enemy weapons off their hands. The enemies are disarmed and would have to pick up their guns again in order to continue firing. Being a disarming passive activated by mere bullet jumping, a range nerf I believe would be necessary. However, this is a trivial price compared to having temporary disarm on demand.

Ummm, passives are not meant to be that big of a use. Even Excalibur’s passive is nothing compared to Steel Charge. Having the ability to disarm enemies while bullet jumping is actually OP for a mere passive. Might as well make Rhino’s passive equal to his fourth. Mirage’s passive vs all sorts of Parkour mods. 

Passives are not meant to be that big of impact in the game. For DE to make this one change you’re suggesting, they would have to change/enhance all the other frames’ passives to maintain balance.

Edited by (PS4)chris1pat8twins
  • Like 3

I like the idea. You'd have to be near enemies, then jump away from them to make use of it. Hardly OP.

Mag could really use more defensive potential. Only thing she has is a ~500 shield heal on 3 and with augment disarm (must have right now).

15 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Passives are not meant to be that big of impact in the game. For DE to make this one change you’re suggesting, they would have to change/enhance all the other frames’ passives to maintain balance.

That's not really true though. There are a few very powerful passives, the wildest being probably Wisp's. It doesn't matter because passives aren't balanced against each other, frames are, and balance is uneven in Warframe anyway. And of course, there are also some passives that barely exist or are really part of another ability, like Grendel's or Chroma's, too. 

I don't dislike the idea of a disarm for enemies knocked over with bullet jump but I've always found that to be a bit awkward to do in the first place. I personally like the idea of giving Mag innate Vacuum that doesn't stack with that of companions, so it remains an equally useless passive but at least fits in the logic of the current game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Ummm, passives are not meant to be that big of a use. 

Passives are not meant to be that big of impact in the game.

Atlas is completely immune to knockdown, which got stronger with the self-stagger change.

Garuda gets crazy good extra damage when she's low on health, which is a state she can choose to be in whenever she wishes.

Khora has an entire kavat complete with moddability.

Limbo can just choose to become unkillable 

Wukong just Decides Not To Die and gets free buffs when he makes this decision

And this isn't considering Warframes whose entire playstyles are built around their passives, like Baruuk or Gauss or Nidus or Hildryn... What's the harm in letting Mag have an actually good passive for once?

• Like 4

Replacing one useless passive with another. Please don't.

Mag has 2 augments that let her disarm enemies. One is a temporary huge AoE radial disarm, another is a smaller AoE indefinite disarm. Both of those don't require you to jump next to your enemy and fit her perfectly.

I'd rather have a passive that improves her shields or energy(this one is me being desperate because devs seriously want us to rely on Pulls damage to get orbs lmao).

• Like 2

It's definitely not functional. It's functioning, in the sense that it does what is described and isn't bugged or something. But again, she could just have innate vacuum. Pseudo-vacuum during bullet jump is just too specific and too clumsy to be useful, and the trail of pickups you can't pick up is a bit silly.

• Like 1

I'd probably just give her something like +5% magnetic damage on all attacks. Enough that it shows up in the status effects inflicted sometimes. Her existing passive is neat but easy to forget that you have.

On 2020-03-07 at 8:32 PM, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Ummm, passives are not meant to be that big of a use. Even Excalibur’s passive is nothing compared to Steel Charge. Having the ability to disarm enemies while bullet jumping is actually OP for a mere passive. Might as well make Rhino’s passive equal to his fourth. Mirage’s passive vs all sorts of Parkour mods. 

Some frames do have pretty strong passives. Passives need to be at a minimum of some value. Mag's probably is the worst in the entire game. It does something one mod on sentinels does much better. 

• Like 1

On 2020-03-07 at 8:32 PM, (PS4)chris1pat8twins said:

Ummm, passives are not meant to be that big of a use.

Not quite. We have Garuda's double damage passive, Ashe's insane slash enhancement passive, Wukong's triple immortality passive, and plenty more that have extremely powerful affects on gameplay.

I do think that OP's passive suggestion is a bit misplaced on Mag though. Most frames have a passive that plays into their kit to some extent, but disarming enemies would actively hinder Mag. Melee AI doesn't contribute to Mag's bubbles in any way, and in some extreme example can even force its way out of the bubbles entirely. Granted, the recent bubble change seems to have fixed that second point.

I'd also like to argue that Mag's current passive is only redundant if the player makes it so. The passive is basically a free mod slot for the companion, and depending on how the player chooses to use that mod slot it can be extremely powerful. To give an example Dethcube is great at giving Mag extra energy and health orbs if built correctly, but finding space for all those mods requires sacrifices that can hinder its survivability without giving up Vacuum or Enemy Radar. Mag's passive makes the choice a lot more forgiving.

1 hour ago, (PS4)thegarada said:

Some frames do have pretty strong passives. Passives need to be at a minimum of some value. Mag's probably is the worst in the entire game. It does something one mod on sentinels does much better. 

I'd have to disagree with it being the worst. Rhino's is actively detrimental (take slightly longer to recover from hard landings with no benefit) and Chroma and Grendel effectively have no passive, just a feature of their active abilities that's listed in place of one. 

Edit: For comparison on Chroma and Grendel, consider that Hildryn's "passive" includes her using shields for energy, which is really a feature of her active abilities, but also her shield gate, which is an actual passive benefit.

Edited by CopperBezel

Maybe something to do with the polarize shards? Her magnetic field draws those shards to her within x range.

• Each shard contributes 50 dmg negation per orbiting shard
  • Pull can be used to attract shards from the effective distance
  • Shards orbiting mag will add dmg to Crush
  • Shards are transferable to magnetize bubble by mag going into contact with it

It will be a lot like gara's 2.

• Like 1