Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tank Question

(PSN)Qanzuko

Question

So between Rhino prime, Inaros and Gauss who is the more effective tank for endgame,  I know there are other tank warframes but these three interest me the most right now.  I have heard Rhino prime is one of if not the best tank in game because he is tanky with cc and buffs I just have no idea how to build him, so that's why I want the opinions of other vets who is best out of the three(I kinda hope its Rhino) and how should they be built.  And yeah I included Gauss as a tank because apparently he can fill that roll ill link the video.

personally i think it depends on how you want to tank. i have no idea on gauss, as i havent had the chance to use him much, but i know rhino prime and inaros just play differently. rhino has good crowd control, self buffing, and the ability to neutralize all damage with iron skin, but once he doesnt have the energy to use iron skin, he takes health damage and has no way to replenish health without orbs or pizzas, or external help. inaros on the other hand, doesnt have much in the way of crowd control, or at least not nearly as good as stomp, no damage buff, and only partial damage neutralization, but he has a massive health pool and a very quick and easy way to get health back if you bring a good melee with high finisher damage. i have soloed a lvl 100 sortie survival mission with barely any difficulty using pocket sand and a little knife. if you play him right, you basically cannot die.

i'd say, try them all, and see which you prefer.

There are many ways to express the intent to bullet sponge.

Baruuk (Damage Evasion), Nova (Damage Reduction), Mag (Damage Gating), Nezha (aka tiny rhino), Gara (Physical Barriers) etc.
Blocking stops all physical damage within an angle, with Mods like Guardian Derision and Focused Defense playing into that angle in scope.

There are also several ways to turn damage you receive into a benefit for the party.
Nidus, Inaros, Rhino, Grendel, and many others have enough armor and lack enough shields for a good turn around on Rage &/or Hunter's Adrenaline.
Trinity and Nekros Shunt damage off to enemy factions rather than receiving it all themselves.

Deception and CC are also means' of playing the Aggro towards the right end, without the source being you.
Loki, Ivara, Hydroid, Vauban... whatever method you can use to corral the dangerous enemies / keep them off allies / keep focus more or less where you want it.

Oberon with a Phoenix renewal mod and rage makes him pretty tanky, there are a lot of different ways to tank in game. Health tanking is one extra way. 

I personally like Rhino and Nezha against the infested since they can resist knockdowns with their powers and the infested don't have ranged weapons so they can't take your armor down without getting close making you even tankier. 

Inaros and Wukong are other candidates, and I have a friend that swears by Valkyr's invincibility. 

Best tank is inaros as his tankiness doesn't depend on abilities so doesn't require energy and can't be negated. It can be boosted with his 4th though but it isn't necessary. only issue is that it requires maxed arcane grace which is expensive as all hell.

Rhino is not the tankiest but he is up there. He is also one of the easiest to use.

As for Guass he is also alright but he can't tank everything only physical elements, heat, cold and blast everything else shreds him.

Rhino and Revenant are curently the tankiest, with Revenant theoretically scaling infinitely. Inaros is useful in energy intensive scenarios but doesnt come with reliant DR and has (imo) subpar kit compared to the other two. Nullifiers are not a problem now that shieldgating is a thing. Nezha is an alternative but be aware that his warding halo HP is just glorified duration. Id reccomend Gara or Nidus over him.

Personally i use Rhino.

19 minutes ago, T-Shark69 said:

Nezha is an alternative but be aware that his warding halo HP is just glorified duration. Id reccomend Gara or Nidus over him.

Personally i use Rhino.

Slap on an adaptation and you have an extra 90% reduction on top of his halo (granted the Halo HP gets depleted before calculations are done regarding adaptation) but while it's up, you're at 99% reduction if things are constantly shooting at you, and a 3s invulnerability is MORE than enough time to plant a pizza and re-cast, I use Nezha now for almost all content, and I've survived while Facetanking lvl 200 enemies easily (and if S#&$ hits the fan, he's got the highest on-ground mobility of any frame due to his sliding passive, his sliding is just as fast as the roll, if not faster, so it's able to get you out of harms way faster, and it's easier to maintain control as you're not locked into an animation like roll does).

Gara also has duration, but Isn't CC immune like Nezha while Halo is Up, but more than makes up for it with the damage the splinter storm does (if you know how to take advantage of how her abilities work).

Nidus, has CC immunity only while his noodly appendage is stuck to an enemy (which also diverts damage done to Nidus to that Enemy instead), which means, you're tethering yourself to a limited area if you want to keep the skill active (or you can re-cast on a new enemy in your path)
And is Undying due to his stacks (if he can keep them up that is, which is harder if you have team-mates that just clear whole rooms before your larva even spawns after your frame finishes the animation)

Each have their own way of playing to their kit to be most effective, I find Nezha to be easier than both, no fuss, just pop 3, once it's down, pop it again, rinse and repeat. What's more, with the Augment, you can shield others that don't have any form of damage mitigation, (granted at less HP than what you can get)

Edited by SocialFox

I've been playing with Rhino a little bit.  He has some nice variation!  

As a Tank I have a few problems with him.. Good tanks use Hunters Adrenaline or Rage to get back energy any time they are beat on.  Except Rhino's ability to tank is from using Iron Skin.  Iron Skin absorbs all damage.  So you can not run HA/Rage. Rhino has some nice armor but its waaay ot enough at high end and he is actually pretty squishy if his iron skin isnt up.  So you cant get beat on to try and fuel iron skin or you will probably just be killed.  So for me I find him extremely difficult to play as a tank.  Im sure there are some options to help him out...  Augmented Dethcube.... zenurik school....  Never tried to force him into a tank role as I have to many other frames that I enjoy tanking on.  

But if anyone has any advice on how to easily refill his energy im all ears.  I cant use zenurik because he is my Naramon focus farm lol.  So thats out...  

-----------------

I love Rhino for Roar when im gonna be with others.  I also love high strength + high range mainly for stomp damage(and a decent iron skin).   A true Iron skin build though sacrifices everything for strength.  His stomp would be super deadly but also extremely short range and roar would be worthless as no duration.  

1 minute ago, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_ said:

But if anyone has any advice on how to easily refill his energy im all ears.

I use Energy Dethcube. Switching to Madurai soon for the finisher dash, so if Dethcube aint enough Ill just spam Pizzas since you can craft 100 at a time now. But the easiest way is Zenurik. Even at 45% efficiency Zenurik allows me 100% roar upkeep.

People saying Rhino is gonna die when out of Energy clearly dont mod for Iron Skin. Even in hour long Arbitrations I cast Iron Skin 2 or 3 times at most.

13 minutes ago, T-Shark69 said:

Sorry but adaptation doesnt work that way.

It, actually does, adaptation reduces incoming damage to Nezha's health, but not the Halo, if that's what you're trying to say. Warding halo reduces damage nezha's health pool takes by 90%, adaptation does the same, only to specific damage types, they stack, Warding Halo simply doesn't benefit from adaptation, it takes 100% damage regardless of adaptation/armor.

Edited by SocialFox

hace 12 minutos, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_ dijo:

Or just Gobble and stomp to heal ???

I knew about the buffs, but didnt notice the heal, thanks for the tip. Reading the wiki, he is maybe a more complex warframe than i thought. Stripping armour and adding to yourself...toxin damage...

What i dont understand yet is his 4th. Seems very situational and no very good

Just now, SocialFox said:

if that's what you're trying to say.

I mean Adaptation does not give a flat 90% DR. Only takes into account the highest dmg source from a shot. The rest is taken in full. Say you have resistance to puncture. You get shot with a projectile that does 100 Puncture 50 Slash 50 Impact. You get hit for 10 Puncture 50 Slash 50 Impact. 110 total instead of the 20 youd think. 

10 minutes ago, Travis05 said:

I knew about the buffs, but didnt notice the heal, thanks for the tip. Reading the wiki, he is maybe a more complex warframe than i thought. Stripping armour and adding to yourself...toxin damage...

What i dont understand yet is his 4th. Seems very situational and no very good

His 4 is totally dependant on how many enemies you got in your belly.  Eat a mob and then start bouncing around like you just dont give a %&^!!!!  More enemies = bigger ball/more damage..

35 minutes ago, Travis05 said:

Idk if this counts but im using Grendel lately. 3000 hp and adaptation installed, life strike on his melee weapon. He is ridiculously tanky, and if he takes damage, i just have to hit one time and he is full again.

Try adding gladiator mods for even moar health and armor. (plus nice melee bonus) He doesn't need any ability stats except range imo. My Grendel has 5050 health, I can run with my almost immortal 6k+ health kubrow, which also heals me. If only Grendel had any form of status immunity... I'm hoping for a nice augment in a future. 

Gauss, despite being a more active frame in both operations and managing, operates in a much more relaxed timeline when it comes to absorbing damage, so in my opinion he is way superior tank, also based on his overall qol advantages (meta for many for mobile defense missions). only thing I dislike is that you are not able to convert that damage to anything, so effectively, youre trading off here.

if you combine larger energy pool with quick thinking, you can be invincible not during all of your your 2 and even long way after the shields are down (450 armor), but you get 3 additional lives/oh sh!t moments with quick thinking (6 or 9 additional, if you are badass and also run Hunter Adrenaline on it). I am sure plenty of you know the feels when battery is 0, enemies are swarming, and your magic juice bottle is dry. HA or Rage helps with that drought, and you are very quickly back in the game with 100% dmg resistance. all of this for the cost of 0 arcanes, but if you're feeling insecure Barrier will be more than plenty.
Adaptation is good for star chart maybe, only delaying the problem and you will get 1 shot eventually later in endless 1h or after 40 mins corpus arbi, so in my own opinion it is just better to build with that in mind.

it all depends on your playstyle and what stage you're at in the game, and whether you're buying off the market. most of us will do the quests/missions to get these frames; i personally feel it's not worth buying them with plat (maybe trade for rhino prime, but that's it).

if you're new, rhino is probably the best option till you get more of the advanced mods and the endo to rank them up. you can get him early on and he'll easily carry you through the star chart. he does many things well - iron skin is his signature ability, just cast and refresh when it wears off; stomp is a decent panic button to freeze enemies around you; roar is a minor buff for the team; charge is kinda niche but is used in certain builds with his augments. has some degree of customisation so you can mod him well into "endgame" content.

most people who like tanks will eventually move on to inaros. really hard to kill and can negate status procs with augment. some crowd control for trash mobs; can build for melee finishers. only need to spend a few seconds channeling/charging his 4 now and again.

gauss has a more active playstyle compared to the other two. you'll be using his abilities a lot while running/boosting around shooting/meleeing enemies, and his abilities have a lot of interaction with each other and his energy/shields/speed, so he's probably a more complicated frame to play to his highest potential. the mod build in the yt vid is achievable for most people, but there's room for a lot of customisation. there's more button pressing with gauss compared to the other two.

with any of these frames, you're dependent on your weapons to kill enemies, so you need to consider the resources available to you as well. best advice is to get them all and try them all out. the variety of frames in this game is one of its strengths, and you should explore and not shoehorn yourself into a little corner if you're new.

Inaros IF all you really care about is staying alive and dealing single target melee damage AND if you don't want to have a complicated build utilizing mods you may not own AND if you want gameplay to be just doing the same combo over and over. Blind with #1. Finisher kill. This causes Inaros to gain health. Have Rage and/or Hunter Adrenaline on so that every time you get hit you gain energy. Rinse and repeat, swapping energy for health via blinded finishers and health for energy via mods.

Rhino IF you want to be durable the majority of the time AND have immunity to status AND have amazing damage boost that works for the whole group AND have one of the best CC abilitties in the game. BUT he's vulnerable when his armor goes down if you don't have energy efficiency or regain AND he's not nearly as easy to build if you want all the abilities to be good, requiring lots of formas and rare mods.

11 hours ago, T-Shark69 said:

Rhino and Revenant are curently the tankiest, with Revenant theoretically scaling infinitely. Inaros is useful in energy intensive scenarios but doesnt come with reliant DR and has (imo) subpar kit compared to the other two. Nullifiers are not a problem now that shieldgating is a thing. Nezha is an alternative but be aware that his warding halo HP is just glorified duration. Id reccomend Gara or Nidus over him.

Personally i use Rhino.

So how does one build a god tier Rhino tank.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Qanzuko said:

So how does one build a god tier Rhino tank.

For "god tier" you must have all 3 Umbral mods equipped and at high rank; Umbral Intensify at 10, Umbral Fiber at 9+, and Umbral Vitality at 7+. I'd suggest leaving Vitality at rank 7 or 8 because the extra health isn't as important as the armor and power strength, and it helps make room for other mods.

In addition to the umbral mods you will need some combination of primed and rare corrupted mods. I use Primed Continuity, Transient Fortitude, and the Iron Skin augment mod. One space must be either Streamline or Fleeting Expertise. The exilus slot can be either power drift or cunning drift depending on personal preference. That leaves one space which can be used for something else; whichever efficiency mod you didnt use already to max efficiency, or reach for extra range, or augur secrets for extra strength, or augur message / constitution for extra duration.

You will need to use an umbral forma to maximize the build. Every space that isn't an umbral mod will need to be formaed to cut mod cost. If you level up Umbral Vitality past 8 you will need to use Steel Charge aura for the extra mod spaces it provides. Or you can sink two umbral formas into the build, then you have a lot more options; but 2 umbral formas for a single frame is a huge commitment.

To truly go god tier, you also probably need some super broken Arcanes. You don't need the status ones since you're immune to status with iron skin up, so both spaces are open. I use the anti-magnetic one though, just so bosses can't wipe my energy in the split second between iron skins.

That's sort of an overview. There's more than one way to built him depending on what you care most about. But no matter what it's going to take a lot of formas and a lot of endo.

Edited by rstripn

On 2020-03-18 at 1:32 AM, (PS4)Qanzuko said:

So between Rhino prime, Inaros and Gauss who is the more effective tank for endgame,  I know there are other tank warframes but these three interest me the most right now.  I have heard Rhino prime is one of if not the best tank in game because he is tanky with cc and buffs I just have no idea how to build him, so that's why I want the opinions of other vets who is best out of the three(I kinda hope its Rhino) and how should they be built.  And yeah I included Gauss as a tank because apparently he can fill that roll ill link the video.

Inaros with 9k HP and 800 Armour, in addition to adaptation, nothing can beat that