The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When will the game look as good as tennocon demos?

DemonStrikerX

Ok before anyone gets the wrong idea I think the game looks great, and its amazing how far the game has come. I was rewatching the tennocon demos today because I was bored and thought the game looked so good in the demos though we have all these (most) things in the game. Like fortuna for example, in the demo it looked so immersive but in the game you dont get the same feel even with all the settings maxed and the new enhanced graphics engine.

https://imgur.com/KIR9ilY

vs what is ingame

https://imgur.com/pUwALV4

Even something like the orbiter does not look as good as the demo

https://imgur.com/2PuWykm

vs what we have

https://imgur.com/crCrYRJ

and I will just leave this here aswell 

https://imgur.com/30WceUd

These are just some of the few things I noticed when rewatching these demos. (Also sorry for posting the links like this the insert image as url wasnt doing anything).

I will hold DE accountable for and criticize them for a lot of things in the game.

Not making the game look pretty (as advertised) is not one of them.

Sure there are a few old tilesets and enemies that show their age , but anything that was actually showcased and is implemented in the game has been looking just as good.

I would blame your rig and settings if the quality is poor,

there is also the thing called "vista selection" where things look great from a certain angle and light but not so much from a different location.

The only problem i have is that my system cant handle ludicrous settings and i need to keep them down to avoid melting my setup.

OP you need to check your graphic settings.

Demos will generally look better than the final thing, as the final thing is what's being played and not the demo. I'm sure the live version could look better, but that comes at the cost of performance.

This is why Nvidia's raytracing was largely ignored for a while, most people playing on PC don't want to intentionally play at 30 fps in a fast paced game for the sake of visuals.

Consoles are generally underpowered for their generation due to cost, and people that own PCs generally own one that is around the performance of a console or slightly better.

It's also not much different as to why demos sometimes have more features/gameplay than the release versions, sometimes the demo is barely playable as it is, and they can't release that without making cuts.

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I will hold DE accountable for and criticize them for a lot of things in the game.

Sure there are a few old tilesets and enemies that show their age , but anything that was actually showcased and is implemented in the game has been looking just as good.

there is also the thing called "vista selection" where things look great from a certain angle and light but not so much from a different location.

The only problem i have is that my system cant handle ludicrous settings and i need to keep them down to avoid melting my setup.

The classic "it's your PCs fault and you're too dumb to change settings". I have everything maxed and play at higher than 1080p and even played with the optional renderer on, it doesn't look as good as the demos. The op didn't even complain about old tilesets, or the game "looking bad". The op even specified the game is maxed with the render option enabled. They are talking exclusively about demo vs release. Not looking like the demo isn't the same as it looking bad, the first sentence is them explicitly stating that in their opinion the game looks great.

8 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

The classic "it's your PCs fault and you're too dumb to change settings". I have everything maxed and play at higher than 1080p and even played with the optional renderer on, it doesn't look as good as the demos. The op didn't even complain about old tilesets, or the game "looking bad". The op even specified the game is maxed with the render option enabled. They are talking exclusively about demo vs release. Not looking like the demo isn't the same as it looking bad, the first sentence is them explicitly stating that in their opinion the game looks great.

Please do not put words in peoples mouths, i did not say anyone was dumb  , but i did put the blame squarely on the settings ,specs and quality of images of the PC in question.

Specs which we are yet to see, and the settings are not just limited to in game , they can be affected by the GPU application as well which may not be obvious in the beginning.

Images are also a poor comparison mechanism as it does not contain many of the things that motion animation does.

You also seem to have missed the point of proper scene selection to enhance the appearance.

Scenic places at sunset or dawn are much more picturesque than ones at noon.

17 hours ago, HoustonDragon said:

When I first started playing, the game had defaulted to a low video setting and looked terrible. When I checked and set it to hi-res properly, it was gorgeous.

As i said the game looks great, its just that I feel like it doesnt look as good as the demos do.

16 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

All of you think its my settings when you guys are missing the whole point. If it really was my settings then how is that people that run the game in max settings have the same look. If you guys looked at the pictures you would have understood what I was talking about. With the orbiter the lighting was so much better in the demo and the shadows were absolutely amazing and the skybox or whatever its called in the top view was much different than anything we have seen and have in the game right now. In the game if we look up its just that old space look and I noticed only in venus we get a different space look but otherwise it doesnt look the same. As for fortuna in the game it currently looks like a snowy place (I am unable to describe properly but you are probably familiar with the look) while in the demo it felt like there actual depth to the enviroment and it had this kind of yellowish gas surrounding the area giving it a much better look which again its not present in the game.

13 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

Oh my god finally someone who actually understood what I said. THANK YOU and yea I guess its understandable that some things shown in the demo might not turn out the way they are for whatever reason, but I feel like people should also have the choice to choose how they want their game to look, while 30FPS isnt great if someone wants to play the game at that framerate to have a better visual experience they should atleast have the option to do so.

DE uses advanced version of the engine, unstable but works for them. You can see a lot of stuff from the devstreams, the enhanced engine is on "first" steps yet and there is a lot to do on improvements and optimization acording to the devs. Since they do the demos on their build, we are seeing the direction of how they want to look and working towards to look like.

5 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

it will probably look a lot better on the next gen of consoles and PCs, but I think the team have done a pretty decent job graphically, especially with the tileset remasters. the only downside to them is that it takes a while for these visual improvements, but it's well worth the wait IMO.

Yea I suppose the game isnt getting huge graphical improvements because of the current limitations with the consoles, really excited to see what changes the game will bring.

1 hour ago, DemonStrikerX said:

CPU: i7 8750H 

GPU: GTX 1050TI

RAM: 8GB

Are you running on a laptop?

those specs are ... kinda ok for a laptop ,

but i am skeptical it can even run the game at max settings without losing out on some frames at 1080p.

Do you have dynamic resolution on by any chance?

Archived