Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How often do you switch between weapons during battles?

yoman15

I found it very clunky and annoying to switch between primary, secondary and melee with the keybinds in warframe.

Adding that most jobs in a mission can be done with one, or rarely two, weapon(s), I never bring a secondary into a mission since mr8 or smth.(except when I'm leveling them up)

Even then I mostly run missions with either full melee or full primary, as switching back to primary is still an absolute pain, plus as mentioned, there's no reason for me to switch when I can keep using the current weapon to do all the things.

Is this the case to every players? If so, is this healthy to the game? If no, what did I miss?

(Btw even in profit taker fight, with a voidrig, IMO pressing 5 and/or 5+4 is a much faster gun switch than switching to secondary, so I literally can't find a place to use a secondary)

i switch to melee often enough nowadays with melee 3.0, but only because the swap between gun to melee is instant. i almost never swap between primary/secondary, and i almost never swapped to full melee before melee 3.0. increasing weapon swap speed has definitely been a subject of discussion lately, as has the dominance of melee weapons

I would like to use guns (mostly for breaking Nullifier bubbles) when killing primarily with melee, but that isn't possible as I have to use melee only mode to avoid some bugs I cannot stand.

The only time I switch weapons is when I have a holster speed buff and use a slow primary (sniper or launcher), again for Nullifiers. Without the buff I don't bother, as it is painfully slow.

on a regular basis. whenever i feel like i want to switch Guns or if i have Guns for specific purposes in the Mission i'm playing.
i'd like Weapon Switching to be faster now that we have Melee instant switch to set a precedence, but when there's space i compensate with some Holster Speed or even just don't worry about it much since Parkour gives you time to switch Weapons anyways.

Melee instant switch makes the Melee side a no brainer. there is nothing to lose by using Melee a bit anytime you feel like.

3小时前 , vanaukas 说:

clunky? You press F by default and you change between primary and secondary. You press E and you hit with nelee without downtime. How is that clunky?

3小时前 , yoman15 说:

as switching back to primary is still an absolute pain

^

When you switch back to guns after using melee, iirc you are locked to switch to one of the weapon, either primary or secondary idk(too long for me not equipping a secondary), then you have to press another button to get to the another gun that you originally wanted to switch to.

My point is it's not intuitive, like in literally every other fps games, there are scroll wheels to cycle weapons, a one button keybind option to quickly cycle all weapons, 3 buttons for 3 weapons,etc. There're lot s of intuitive ways to do the job.

But somehow warframe have to be creative in this aspect and make one button to cycle between 2 weapons and the other button to cycle between other 2 weapons.

I just don't see why, maybe many players have gone through this and get used to it and I haven't, but this can just be improved in an easy way IMO.

Again, I haven't equipped a secondary for a long time, if I remember anything that's incorrect about the weapon cycling system pls point out.

I'm constantly switching weapons. 

I use controller so when I have melee equipped I just have to shoot(R2) or aim(L2) to switch weapons. Switching back to melee from primary/secondary I just have to hit melee button(circle). It's intuitive and near instant swap back and forth. I also run a lot of utility primary/secondary so I generally have room for holster speed mods so switching back and forth from primary to secondary is not a problem at all either. 

I try to use my entire kit when I play, if I don't I get bored. I want to use all my weapons and abilities. 

17分钟前 , taiiat 说:

since Parkour gives you time to switch Weapons anyways.

I think it's not the time issue there, since there're lots of warframes that have effective immortality, allowing me to cycle all 3 weapons for 10 times before my health drops below 50%. It's more about smoothness of the battle IMO, and yeah stuff like speed holster surely helps on that.

7 minutes ago, yoman15 said:

When you switch back to guns after using melee, iirc you are locked to switch to one of the weapon, either primary or secondary idk(too long for me not equipping a secondary), then you have to press another button to get to the another gun.

when you click the aim-down-sights button while using a melee weapon, it should bring up the weapon you were using prior to switching to melee. if you press the swap button, it'll swap to your other gun, which is annoying

1分钟前 , continue 说:

when you click the aim-down-sights button while using a melee weapon, it should bring up the weapon you were using prior to switching to melee. if you press the swap button, it'll swap to your other gun, which is annoying

That's...More complicated than I remember :/

My biggest complain with Switching Weapons in WF

is when you press the swap button, and nothing happens

because at the time you were in the middle of a stagger animation lock, or the host was laggy, or whatever

Warframe needs to examine Destiny as an example

in Destiny, it doesn't matter what your current character animation is, if I tap Triangle, I am guaranteed to have switched weapons by the time the animation is unlocked. I can be holding a Heavy and double-tap triangle blind and Trust that I will be holding my pistol. or single tap and be rest assured I'll have swapped to primary.

Basically, even if you are currently stunned or otherwise animation locked, Swap Inputs need to always register and be applied; the stun may prevent you from firing for the duration, but when you come out of it the weapon swap needs to have registered.

This makes me feel much more in Control when playing Destiny versus Warframe.

Control is an important and seemingly overlooked aspect of the 'power fantasy' that DE needs to pay more attention to.

18 minutes ago, yoman15 said:

^

When you switch back to guns after using melee, iirc you are locked to switch to one of the weapon, either primary or secondary idk(too long for me not equipping a secondary), then you have to press another button to get to the another gun.

My point is it's not intuitive, like in literally every other fps games, there are scroll wheels to cycle weapons, a keybind option to quickly cycle between weapons, 3 buttons for 3 weapons,etc. There're lot s of intuitive ways to do the job.

But somehow warframe have to be creative in this aspect and make one button to cycle between 2 weapons and the other button to cycle between other 2 weapons.

I just don't see why, maybe many players have gone through this and get used to it and I haven't, but this can just be improved in an easy way IMO.

Again, I haven't equipped a secondary for a long time, if I remember anything that's incorrect about the weapon cycling system pls point out.

You can keybind the mouse scroll to swtich weapons if pressing F (as default) is too confusing for you. Because you don't need to hit other button to switch between secondaries and primaries, just F. In fact, you van evwn choose to go full melee with the same button, since makes easier chain stance movements.

Sadly I just find myself spamming melee far too often lately so honestly I don't traditionally switch weapons that often (despite ironically playing on Switch).

I don't bother with Holster speed because more often than not melee answers most of my problems and even if I need to fire a Gun I have no downtime between using my Primary and Melee, so my secondary weapon more often than not is just a "Ah crud I got downed" weapon than anything else.

I just don't really see a reason most of the time to deal with the switch speed of Primary>Secondary and vice versa when melee is instant.

27分钟前 , vanaukas 说:

You can keybind the mouse scroll to swtich weapons if pressing F (as default) is too confusing for you. Because you don't need to hit other button to switch between secondaries and primaries, just F. In fact, you van evwn choose to go full melee with the same button, since makes easier chain stance movements.

I literally opened the computer just to check it, and I will explain it again:

I've used Q as the "switch weapon" button, which I believe it's the default F button you have mentioned, this probably isn't important.

I can press "quick melee" to change to melee instantly, so I can do the following things:

primary>melee

secondary>melee

I can also press "switch weapon" to change between primary and secondary, so I can also do the following things:

primary>secondary

secondary>primary

now, can you tell me, by default, which 2 buttons can I press to do the following things consecutively?

primary>melee, then melee>primary directly

as from what I've just tested, I have to press at least 3 times, "quick melee", "switch weapon", "switch weapon", to do the above action.

which is primary>melee, melee>secondary, secondary>primary

And I can't find any keybinds that can help on that.

This is what I meant at the first place, 3 clicks for 2 actions (and prob have to timed it correctly cuz it won't register), which is not favorable.

And I have to remember what's the weapon I will change to when I'm clicking the "switch weapon" button, since it varies with the previous holstered weapon:

if I did primary>melee with "quick melee", pressing "switch weapon" will do melee>secondary

if I did secondary>melee with "quick melee", pressing "switch weapon" will do melee>primary

and it's clunky and inconvenient, at the very least, for me, as changing between weapons may happen after a minuet or so, the I will possibly forgot what I've holstered before.

4 minutes ago, yoman15 said:

I literally opened the computer just to check it, and I will explain it again:

I've used Q as the "switch weapon" button, which I believe it's the default F button you have mentioned, this probably isn't important.

I can press "quick melee" to change to melee instantly, so I can do the following things:

primary>melee

secondary>melee

I can also press "switch weapon" to change between primary and secondary, so I can also do the following things:

primary>secondary

secondary>primary

now, can you tell me, by default, which 2 buttons can I press to do the following things consecutively?

primary>melee, then melee>primary directly

as from what I've just tested, I have to press at least 3 times, "quick melee", "switch weapon", "switch weapon", to do the above action.

which is primary>melee, melee>secondary, secondary>primary

And I can't find any keybinds that can help on that.

This is what I meant at the first place, 3 clicks for 2 actions (and prob have to timed it correctly cuz it won't register), which is not favorable.

Ohhh now I understand. Press "right click" by default and you can switch to the gun you were using when you changed to melee. For example, if you are using primarie, and you hit melee, hit right click (without pressing the melee button) and you'll swap instantly to primary again. No downtime, no animation lock. The downtime occurs just when you swtich between primary and secondary. You can also keybind that IIRC, I find the default button config very comfy.

49 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

clunky? You press F by default and you change between primary and secondary. You press E and you hit with nelee without downtime. How is that clunky?

Enabling melee mode and disabling it will often times default to the opposite ranged weapon you used before, or just the secondary. Worst part, it's not even consistent about whether it will do this or not. There's more to melee than just E spam. This is one of the reasons I stopped equipping a secondary unless the game requires it, or I'm quickly leveling one. OP is also talking about pressing a key to swap to a specific weapon. Such as how in other games that use multiple weapons there's a key bind for weapon slots 1-2-3-4 or more, depending on how many weapons the game lets you carry; or they use a wheel similar to the gear/emote. On Warframe, you're stuck cycling between all 3 weapons or 2 guns.

Either way, I don't see the appeal in the game requiring weapon swapping. I don't like the playstyle, and people are free to play that way already, and there's even multiple interactions that already support the playstyle. I just used Warframe abilities to supplement the melee or primary I'm using for the given mission.

1 minute ago, Yamazuki said:

Enabling melee mode and disabling it will often times default to the opposite ranged weapon you used before, or just the secondary. Worst part, it's not even consistent about whether it will do this or not. There's more to melee than just E spam. This is one of the reasons I stopped equipping a secondary unless the game requires it, or I'm quickly leveling one. OP is also talking about pressing a key to swap to a specific weapon. Such as how in other games that use multiple weapons there's a key bind for weapon slots 1-2-3-4 or more, depending on how many weapons the game lets you carry; or they use a wheel similar to the gear/emote. On Warframe, you're stuck cycling between all 3 weapons or 2 guns.

Either way, I don't see the appeal in the game requiring weapon swapping. I don't like the playstyle, and people are free to play that way already, and there's even multiple interactions that already support the playstyle. I just used Warframe abilities to supplement the melee or primary I'm using for the given mission.

2 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Ohhh now I understand. Press "right click" by default and you can switch to the gun you were using when you changed to melee. For example, if you are using primarie, and you hit melee, hit right click (without pressing the melee button) and you'll swap instantly to primary again. No downtime, no animation lock. The downtime occurs just when you swtich between primary and secondary. You can also keybind that IIRC, I find the default button config very comfy.

All the time. I never switch fully to melee; no reason to do so since I just bind melee to my mousewheel and blend away. But I switch between primary and secondary as the mood strikes me. I prefer guns to melee anyway; melee is fairly dull in this game where the guns are at least different and interesting / amusing. 

1小时前 , vanaukas 说:

I can tell from the likes of this comment no much people have the patient to read through the text

6分钟前 , vanaukas 说:

And even then there's still no way for full on equipped melee to reliably switch to both primary and secondary, which this problem can be easily solved by the following mentioned method:

53分钟前 , yoman15 说:

scroll wheels to cycle weapons, a keybind option to quickly cycle between weapons, 3 buttons for 3 weapons,etc.

3 minutes ago, yoman15 said:

I can tell from the likes of this comment no much people have the patient to read through the text

I've read throught it and I thought you were talking about the swaping between ranged weapons being a pain, my bad. I've already asnwered the "good answer" for your painful problem, right click by default brings the ranged gun of your choice without down time while on melee (unless you are on "full melee" mode)

Just now, yoman15 said:

And even then there's still no way for full on equipped melee to reliably switch to both primary and secondary, which this problem can be easily solved by the following mentioned method:

You press F again and you can swtich from full melee mode.

Change your keybinds to be more similar to what are you used to press in other games.

Archived