Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

6 Years Later - Tennogen on PC Standalone?

On 2015-10-21 at 2:17 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:
I don't use Steam - how do I get the skins?

We are keeping the content to Steam right now - once we are confident the program is a success, we are exploring other platforms with the content creators. Contracts outside of Steam take time, and we will approach this as quickly as we can once we get a sense of participation in the program.

Given we've got to TWENTY ROUNDS of this stuff, we've determined this program is a huge success... When will we hear about availability of this content on your STANDALONE client? All of the data is already in the client, just stupidly flagged as hidden in the various market screens and appearance screens for reasons I don't even know WHY?

What's the deal, @[DE]Rebecca@[DE]Meganwith this?

The section you quoted answered your own question.

It takes time, due to the nature of paying for the work they didn't do. What you quoted never mentions this becoming a guarantee to begin with, they were just "exploring". It's no different to when someone answers with "I'll think about it."

Although, a while ago I remember reading they said it was not going to be a thing, so unless they changed their mind, there was never a reason to assume they would do this on their own.

You forgot that Valve also takes a cut of the skin sales. I don't think Valve are willing to let their potential revenue goes to their competitors that easily. If DE wants to get the skins somewhere else they are gonna have an extremely long talk with Valve.

Maybe convert their real cash value into platinum value (like any other item for people using the standalone client) with an extra charge of 30%??
Example: An item with a value of 5$ might be worth 100pl, with the extra charge for standalone the final price might be 130pl.

I think this might work, just the conversion rates is what needs to be adjusted.

24 minutes ago, Archaeopelta said:

Maybe convert their real cash value into platinum value (like any other item for people using the standalone client) with an extra charge of 30%??
Example: An item with a value of 5$ might be worth 100pl, with the extra charge for standalone the final price might be 130pl.

I think this might work, just the conversion rates is what needs to be adjusted.

And how would TennoGen artists and Valve/Steam get their cut?

32 minutes ago, Archaeopelta said:

Applying the inverse conversion, the extra fee goes to whoever is doing as intermediate. Is not that hard really.

You seem to be mistaken on how TennoGen works. The reason why artists and Valve are able to get their cut easily and why it costs real money to buy TennoGen through the Steam client, it's because it's a direct payment. Platinum on the other hand however, is not. This is because it cannot only be bought directly from DE (and other sources) rather than using Steam, but also traded amongst players.

This is why contracts are made between DE and the artists whenever items are transferred to consoles, since not only would the storefronts wouldn't allow Steam to get involved or allow direct payments that circumvent Plat, a deal is made instead so artists still make some sort of profit off of their work as it goes on console. They don't continue to profit from sales on consoles, but they do still get a form of payment beforehand.

Here's the thing, they could do something for the standalone client and other launchers, but that would either require working out some way for Steam pay to work on those (which would be *very* unlikely on the Epic client, just saying) or do another set of contracts. Either option was probably already deemed as not worth it by DE considering how they still haven't done anything about it.

34 minutes ago, Scruffel said:

~I know how it works~

Then how is DE getting their cash from the few items standalone players can get with only platinum??, sure there is some kind of conversion applied. So if a tax needs to be added in order for tennogen items to be sold, DE does not need any intermediate platform in this case and could pay directly those creators under contract.

14 minutes ago, Archaeopelta said:

Then how is DE getting their cash from the few items standalone players can get with only platinum??,

Are you talking about the old skins like Hivelight Magnus, Kuberus/Combustion Dual Zoren and Scindo, and the others? Those got in from an old contest, there was no intent to make any kind of cash for winners from it.

12 minutes ago, Archaeopelta said:

Then how is DE getting their cash from the few items standalone players can get with only platinum??, sure there is some kind of conversion applied. So if a tax needs to be added in order for tennogen items to be sold, DE does not need any intermediate platform in this case and could pay directly those creators under contract.

Are you being for real now? DE gets their cash from plat purchases... even before the items are purchased with plat. They get paid once someone purchases plat. This shouldn't have to be explained at all. This isn't about "conversion methods", it's just how it works.

And again, you are still not understanding what I am saying. The point isn't the aspect of it being possible to pay artists, it's how they are being paid in an efficient method. It's much easier to use one that allows for direct payments and shares after purchases. Which is also why contracts are made for a single immediate payment (they don't get paid constantly afterwards for any purchases on console by the way, if this wasn't clear already) for whenever TennoGen items are put on console. So again, unless DE wants to do the same contracts or work something out with Steam to use their method for other launchers, it's not going to be as simple as "make it plat with a tax and just give the shares afterwards".

2 hours ago, NekroArts said:

Are you talking about the old skins like Hivelight Magnus, Kuberus/Combustion Dual Zoren and Scindo, and the others? Those got in from an old contest, there was no intent to make any kind of cash for winners from it.

No, I'm not.

1 hour ago, Scruffel said:

Are you being for real now? DE gets their cash from plat purchases... even before the items are purchased with plat. They get paid once someone purchases plat.

I'm mentally tired, too much things going on in RL honestly. Also english is not my main, maybe I should just call it a day and try to rest. I understand you, It's me the one unable to develope properly the idea I wanted. Maybe I'll try another day once I've cleared my mind a bit (if that's possible...)

Take care.

Having a skin for steam users and not allowing PC "direct" players access to the same skin is kinda stupid. It is economically stupid. It's all about the fashion not the mods. Just because we do not want to play warframe on steam we get shoved to a corner with less than even useful tennogen hand me downs. It is just lazy management really. It is "community created" and DE approved (might be tencent now tho). So to intentionally exclude PC Direct players from all of tennogen and just select a few meh selections at best is insulting. 7 years in this game and I have no intentions of going through steam for warframe. Stop saying you are inclusive at tennocon and then through your actions administratively excluding the primary players for a few special interest. Can't even get my Trinity Skin so that is 5 items you missed a sale on...poof!  

Doesn't even have to be plat(though making the items subject to a one-time trade like liches wouldn't be a bad idea), they could sell the things directly through the warframe site.  I'm also a bit surprised they don't at least let you see them in the gear preview without having to have someone with the cosmetic link it.  If nothing else, that's free advertising that might coax someone on stand-alone to finagle the Steam version long enough to purchase it.

On 2021-05-13 at 1:34 PM, 16Bitman said:

DE: Hey Gabe Newell, can we sell the skins that people submit through and approve through your platform, on our standalone client to dodge your 30% tax?

https://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/230410/browse/?filter=All

Its not possible to show these items within the game? Its very possible to replace the in-game buy buttons to links to the individual store pages on the steam store that opens up in an external browser... That's definitely not bypassing their platform nor dodging Steam's tax, and keeps it within the steam ecosystem, but actually SHOWING these things exist to non-steam clients.

FL58ieG.jpeg

DE would have to work on their Steam Linking system they have within the game when you launch through Steam, I have tried for months, if not a year at least, to get my two accounts linked through the in-game menu, and all I get is this very VAGUE "Account Bound Failed" error message. I need more context. what is failing here?

e: Additional searches for "Warframe Steam Account Bound Failed" on Google brings up many, many years old threads on this situation with absolutely ZERO insight as to what the problem is, ZERO response from anyone at Digital Extremes acknowledging any issues, and ZERO workarounds that actually worked to solve this situation. Something is messed up somewhere along the line between Digital Extremes and Steam, as this linking process has been broken for years.

As a Tenno who started the first 2 years in Steam Warframe, and had huge lag and connection issues, and the went to Standalone since 2015, with none of the lag and connection issues, I will never go back to steam.  But I have the steam account and wallet on steam etc and would love to purchase and support the Skins if we could just purchase them without having to have warframe in steam.. I tried to purchase some lovely frame skins though the steam web browser but just nadda.. couldnt make it work with installing WF on steam again.. ..Why not just allow us to purchase on the website ?

Archived