Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please stop the misleading Amazon Prime nonsense

SandvichToaster

All the ingame messages that sound like we're being given something, and we have to get a prime subscription to redeem it, they're seriously annoying.

phgKsus.jpg

So, New Zealand doesn't have an amazon. I'm supposed to use the Amazon Australia, but they've only just started delivering to my country, and I can't access their prime delivery thing. Because of that, prime video is a totally separate entity, but, they don't have any of the Prime shows I'm interested in because Sky TV have all the rights in this region.  I don't know if signing up to prime video would make me eligible for this Warframe stuff, but I suspect not. Even if it was worth the subscription fee, which it isn't.

Short version - the product that y'all get that's called Amazon Prime is basically unavailable to me, and then you're just constantly spamming me with things that I always click on, because, "hey, maybe this time it's actually a giveaway". Nope. It's never a real gift.

Please be up front with your in-game communications that this is only available with Amazon Prime subscriptions.

Misleading...  Have you not noticed that the entire thing is basically a 419 Scam (aka. Nigerian Prince scam) story?

While I kind of agree that it is slightly misleading to get a message that says you can "Claim something now!", I have to admit that I find the entire subplot about Darvo being scammed (and in turn is trying to scam you) is kind of amusing.  Since you really should have caught on after the first communique, I really do not see any harm in continuing this series.  It really adds flavor to the universe, and I look forward to seeing how Darvo will (or will not) get out of this one!

Personally I wish there was an opt-out option for this, just like real-life commercial spam emails you can unsubscribe from. 

People who have normalized being an Amazon customer will defend this with the usual "but it's free" argument, while being completely oblivious that Amazon isn't all that common for the rest of the world. Amazon doesn't have a transparent enough policy IMHO regarding customer privacy (that is just ONE of the many reasons I don't want to sign up to them).

So yeah, I can just ignore and close that popup email every time, but it'd be nice to get an opt-out option because that's a thing that exists. 
If you get a door-to-door salesman bothering you every month, and you always have to say "not interested", wouldn't you rather just put a "no solicitor" sign on your door to save yourself from the few seconds of hassle? 

2 hours ago, MystMan said:

Personally I wish there was an opt-out option for this, just like real-life commercial spam emails you can unsubscribe from. 

My guess is part of DE's Deal with Twitch/Amazon include forcing this crap on us....

I remember getting one of these messages as a new player and being both confused and disappointed.

I agree. The Darvo Amazon Prime e-mails are the worst kind of in-game RMT advertising. It's literal in-game junk mail. I don't get e-mails about buying overpriced Prime Access guff, I don't get e-mails about buying Plat or my Boosters ending, please renew, etc. Keep the RMT pushing out of the lore, please. It's embarrassing and honestly quite irritating. The last thing we need is in-game adware.

On 2021-11-18 at 8:51 AM, SandvichToaster said:

All the ingame messages that sound like we're being given something, and we have to get a prime subscription to redeem it, they're seriously annoying.

phgKsus.jpg

So, New Zealand doesn't have an amazon. I'm supposed to use the Amazon Australia, but they've only just started delivering to my country, and I can't access their prime delivery thing. Because of that, prime video is a totally separate entity, but, they don't have any of the Prime shows I'm interested in because Sky TV have all the rights in this region.  I don't know if signing up to prime video would make me eligible for this Warframe stuff, but I suspect not. Even if it was worth the subscription fee, which it isn't.

Short version - the product that y'all get that's called Amazon Prime is basically unavailable to me, and then you're just constantly spamming me with things that I always click on, because, "hey, maybe this time it's actually a giveaway". Nope. It's never a real gift.

Please be up front with your in-game communications that this is only available with Amazon Prime subscriptions.

Doesn't NZ have pretty strong consumer protection laws? DE is never going to change something that's deliberately designed to funnel people into spending real money with their "partner" unless they're forced to by an outside power. File with your consumer protection agency about the fraudulent advertising and dishonest business practices involved in this.

On 2021-11-18 at 7:51 PM, SandvichToaster said:

I don't know if signing up to prime video would make me eligible for this Warframe stuff, but I suspect not. Even if it was worth the subscription fee, which it isn't.

Prime Video includes the Prime Gaming and Twitch Prime benefits. You were able to get it free through 2degrees broadband for a while, I don’t know if you still can or not. So if you want you can get this easily enough - that’s irrelevant though, DE’s message really should state what’s required.

20 hours ago, Shadowex3 said:

File with your consumer protection agency about the fraudulent advertising and dishonest business practices involved in this.

This could be a possibility, but I am not sure if it would work. The closest relevant bit I could see stated misleading advertising as “promoting special offers, discounts and sales etc. that are not genuine”. It could be a hassle to justify that to the relevant agencies.

11 hours ago, krc473 said:

Prime Video includes the Prime Gaming and Twitch Prime benefits. You were able to get it free through 2degrees broadband for a while, I don’t know if you still can or not. So if you want you can get this easily enough - that’s irrelevant though, DE’s message really should state what’s required.

This could be a possibility, but I am not sure if it would work. The closest relevant bit I could see stated misleading advertising as “promoting special offers, discounts and sales etc. that are not genuine”. It could be a hassle to justify that to the relevant agencies.

I'm pretty sure literally lying to your face that you've gotten something for free only to be sneakily redirected to a for-pay subscription counts as some form of fraud.

41 minutes ago, Shadowex3 said:

I'm pretty sure literally lying to your face that you've gotten something for free only to be sneakily redirected to a for-pay subscription counts as some form of fraud.

You could justify it that way, yes. But can you point to where the message states the item is free? It certainly doesn’t state it is from a paid subscription service, but it doesn’t state free either. So it comes down to how you interpret what is written, but all other mentions of it (outside of that mail) state it requires Prime Gaming.

The eighth Drop is available now! Add the exclusive Verv Myrdin Kavat Armor to your collection and treat your feline companion to this stylish Customization, free for Prime Gaming members.

https://www.warframe.com/news/prime-gaming-verv-collection

I would imagine worst case they would be told to be more clear about the requirements in the mail. I don’t imagine legal action could be taken.

On 2021-11-22 at 9:27 PM, krc473 said:

You could justify it that way, yes. But can you point to where the message states the item is free? It certainly doesn’t state it is from a paid subscription service, but it doesn’t state free either. So it comes down to how you interpret what is written, but all other mentions of it (outside of that mail) state it requires Prime Gaming.

I would imagine worst case they would be told to be more clear about the requirements in the mail. I don’t imagine legal action could be taken.

Have you read the messages? They literally do say "Get your FREE xyz!". That one you linked is the least dishonest I've seen, most are blatantly lying to you.

2 hours ago, Shadowex3 said:

Have you read the messages? They literally do say "Get your FREE xyz!".

Can you link a couple that actually state that? The one's I see say "claim this X". Any that mentions Prime Gaming membership is telling you you must have an additional thing to claim the stuff - putting minimal effort in would let you know that this has a cost.

• I don't think it is all that confusing. But it is the same system we have had for a while now. I do have Prime Gaming so I might be looking at it from a different perspective.
  • I do think the in-game message should mention that Prime Gaming is needed. I would put it on the message subject/title: Prime Gaming - VERV GEAR: Verv X.

On 2021-12-01 at 5:42 AM, krc473 said:

Can you link a couple that actually state that? The one's I see say "claim this X". Any that mentions Prime Gaming membership is telling you you must have an additional thing to claim the stuff - putting minimal effort in would let you know that this has a cost.

• I don't think it is all that confusing. But it is the same system we have had for a while now. I do have Prime Gaming so I might be looking at it from a different perspective.
  • I do think the in-game message should mention that Prime Gaming is needed. I would put it on the message subject/title: Prime Gaming - VERV GEAR: Verv X.

That would break the lore.

Everytime they say “CLAIM IT NOW” people are usually implying that it is free. Or else why would you claim it? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-12-03 at 2:57 AM, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

I am an Amazon Prime subscriber

and I am Happy to see the benefits of that subscription apply to things like my Warframe Enjoyment.

to DE and Amazon:

This is a great deal you have worked out and it really makes me feel like I'm getting a better value from my Prime Subscription.

Please keep up with these tie-in promotions.

Found the chinese shill.

On 2021-12-03 at 12:57 AM, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

I am an Amazon Prime subscriber

and I am Happy to see the benefits of that subscription apply to things like my Warframe Enjoyment.

Fantastic!

The rest of us just want to not have its existence advertised to us on a regular basis, because if we wanted Amazon Prime, we'd have it already.

Archived