Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The price of Heirloom skins is incredibly disappointing.

Kymaeraa

I have seen some negative feedback about the Zenith collection. I was also kind of with them and then did some research about why it is so expensive, my thoughts are that DE made a mistake by giving Regal aya instead of the prime frames since it looks like you just get the skins and accessories and no warframes (as wells that you can buy the prime version for now). I think that DE should have just given the prime warframes and if you do have said warframes they give either platinum or Regal aya. Maybe even just give a price list of everything would have cost separately.

Just now, _Eclips3_ said:

No...they made it luxury artificially, my point is, in reality its worth is no more than other delux skins. Meaning it's not luxury. Would you pay $50 for a chicken nugget because it's "luxury?" How is this chicken nugget more luxury than the $1 nugget?

Yes, exactly. Just as Gucci or Prada purse is no better then any well made purse. Price tag is the limiting factor. That's the very definition of luxury.

14 minutes ago, xGryphus said:

That's the point - it never meant to be fairly priced - it's collector's item, luxury. You're either dedicated enough to buy it or not - nobody forces you.

Is this ok? No, I don't think it is. Those skins are beautiful and I wish they would be more accessible for all but it's what makes them even more special.

And why should a game that's built a successful community reputation, allowing 3 entirely separate games under its wing be monetizing this occasion this way? They already have tons of merch and other things to buy related to this moment. Founder items used to be a talking point that DE said "hey listen, we know it's not cool to have these kinds of items, but we have to respect their origins and reasons for existing at the time". They showed that they knew that this wasn't a great situation, but it was a learning point. Fast forward to today, and between Wayfinder and Heirloom bundles, it's starting to feel like nobody has learned from where we come from.

I don't see Warframe going downhill from this, but like with the way Trials were removed, you're just throwing a passionate group of players to the curb to replace them with a newer audience who doesn't know or respect the history behind something. Destiny 2, Overwatch 2, and so many other games are into doing this these days.

If you want luxury, sell Grate Prime, sell more Legendary TennoCon tickets for $1,000 CAD. Having something for whales doesn't require harpooning dolphins.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 4

Something that keeps coming up with the people defending it in this thread- I'm not sure where the assumption comes in that people are mad just because it's overpriced, or just because there's FOMO. Are there some? Sure. But just like you wouldn't want everyone who spends their money on these packs to be called a simp or a sellout, you shouldn't just pile everyone under the same extreme so you can write it off.

At the end of the day, these are two skins being sold with excess fluff for the price of a full video game. Under the context of it being a communal celebration for all players. That sentiment has been in all forms of their marketing, be it verbal, on website, or in the trailer. But you only see the price, and the supposed rationale for it (things you don't want) when you actually go to acquire them. Had the skins been introduced right out the gate as a "supporter pack," you'd probably have a lot less complaints, although I think most would still be valid. That's not what these skins opened with.

Hell, I was checking the in-game market for a solid 20 minutes at 2 PM before someone let me know they were web purchase only. Bit of an extra shock.

That whiplash is the problem here. Players set up for a "celebration" of Warframe that then come face-to-face with an irrationally high bill.

Yes, the price is nuts. Yes, the packs are set up in a semi-predatory fashion. Yes, the FOMO sucks. But the crux of this is the communication issue wrapping all of that up into a neat bundle of "bad feels."

Consider: A friend invites you to a party celebrating your friendship, and tells you they're supplying all the food. You eat, you have a great time, etc. Then they tell you if you want to stay further, you need to foot the rest of the bill, and that bill is four times higher than any dish you'd ever have bought knowing the price ahead of time. Do you NEED to eat more? No. Do you NEED to participate to enjoy the night you've already had? Of course not.

But now imagine your friend just said up front that certain dishes were something you'd have to buy, and that they'd be unusually expensive. Well hey you know what, maybe you're ok with spending a little extra on your friend to support. F- it, right? It's been a good run so far.

It's that initial context and setup that matters. More importantly, all this could be avoided if you could get the dish without all the weird little scallops in it. Sure, DE isn't our "friend," but I'd argue that their relationship with their community is better than most, and that means this warranted a little more foresight if they didn't expect people to feel stung. We've all played the same game. We all watched the same Tennocon stream just now. I think it's pretty fair to say the hard-working devs at DE have deep feelings on this relationship too. It's OK to have a dialogue about how this, and further promotions, could be handled better.

• Like 8

I would happily purchase both skins if they were in a seperate pack, without regal aya for £20.

Paying £25 more for 6 regal aya? Get out. No. I don't want that, I don't care for it, and it's needlessly overbloating costs for things that are supposed to "celebrate" warframes 10 years

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, ShogunGunshow said:

I remember DE being like "we're never doing that again" with the timed exclusivity when people kept badgering them about Excal Prime.

That's perhaps what's irking me the most. I bought the pack anyways because I prefer these looks to the current Primes and need the Plat and Regal Aya anyways for a couple rotating accessories, but for the love of god why repeat the Founder's mistake? Even if it's just a cosmetic, every single Prime Access afterwards has had them return for this very reason. Why make this now again? Why not make it available for a couple months and make it come back every year or something?

Gee.

EDIT: And just to note, since for whatever reasonb my Forum account is not reflecting my Founder status, this comes from an Excalibur Prime owner. I hate that it's unavailable because of everything that it entails. This is no different to me.

Edited by NightmareT12
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, (XBOX)Itz2Cat said:

Imagine you have been playing for ages. you have all primes and accessories you want. That;s me. Regal Aya will literally just sit there. The fact that they give you Aya instead of plat is such a kick in the balls.

Tencent does what Tencent does i guess.

I'm in the same boat. You'd think a 10 anniversary bundle would have bundles for people that have been here for a little bit that don't need to buy another frost prime and mag prime.
If I needed another frost or mag prime i'd drop the $40 on the already existing regal aya bundle that exists on this site.
Seriously zero reason to make you have to buy $40 worth of regal aya to get two skins when it's aimed at as being a anniversary for the game and its players that obviously didn't start playing the game 5 minutes ago.

Some people could very well want the regal aya, but again, they can spend that same $40 on the already existing regal aya bundle so it makes no sense.

Personally the $35 of plat in the higher bundle although is more useful than regal aya is still just more padding. I want to buy the heirloom bundle for the heirloom items, not this other stuff I can buy from DE outside of the bundle at the same price or even better priced. 

Edited by wizardeiges
  • Like 2

isnt this pretty much PoE supporter packs? they do 60 usd to 100 to 160  to 240 and then 480 usd packs a year. Then they do the 30 60 90 packs every season (3 months) right? 

I personally do not mind it that much as long as its f2p.

Edited by (XBOX)Dex Xean
I remembered PoE prices wrong
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Binket_ said:

I mean, you'd think with 10 years would be enough to teach 'em more on that.

I believe their "reason" was so players can buy Mag/Frost prime out the gate.

To which I say: "Uh huh DE. So when are we fixing that?"

I expect humans to learn from their mistakes too.

This isn't the first time. Not even close.
If they're gonna keep doing it, we're going throw the caustic bile back at them.

Burn or learn. God, it's taxing to keep seeing this from companies and players alike.

I mean, I still want to PLAY the game.
We're not trying to kill it, we're trying to correct a mistake.

Unfortunately, the only ones with the power to do that are stubborn until you make such a massive fuss.
It's the only reason Revenant and Wukong remain unnerfed.

How about putting that power to a GOOD use?

As someone who's been around Video Games for over 20 years?
The current state of them is incredibly taxing on my head.

I love a good game, helps keep me happy, cheery and capable of tackling another day.
Now I wonder why I even bother looking at Steam, knowing that I'll be bored either way.

While I'd rather be annoyed than bored, I'd rather b e optimistic WORLDS more than either.

Its not all doom and gloom. When I'm in game, I keep my negativity out of it. It's just here I voice it. That being said I do think it's important to voice concerns about some things.

Edited by (PSN)Joylesstuna

5 minutes ago, Voltage said:

And why should a game that's built a successful community reputation, allowing 3 entirely separate games under its wing be monetizing this occasion? Founder items used to be a talking point that DE said "hey listen, we know it's not cool to have these kinds of items, but we have to respect their origins and reasons for existing at the time". They showed that they knew that this wasn't a great situation, but it was a learning point. Fast forward to today, and between Wayfinder and Heirloom bundles, it's starting to feel like nobody has learned from where we come from.

I don't see Warframe going downhill from this, but like with the way Trials were removed, you're just throwing a passionate group of players to the curb to replace them with a newer audience who doesn't know or respect the history behind something. Destiny 2 is doing this these days as well.

And why do people these days so entitled to have everything? I do believe that Heirloom packs have mainly commemorative value and were aimed at very small group rather then everybody. As long as this a one-in-10-years thing I'm fine with it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stormandreas said:

But get this, in Argentina, the pack is equivelant to $13.31 USD. THIRTEEN BUCKS! Yet in America, anyone buying it has to shell out $90.

According to Google? Argentina's Minimum Wage is "ARS112,500.00 per month."
Which if I pull out Google's conversion table? That's... 321.26 USD.

Which- while I find hard to believe, so take it with a grain of salt- makes that bundle possibly worth the risk of trying to circumvent regional pricings.
Borderline laughable, if anything.

Hopefully that blight will be enough for DE to say "Hey, maybe we SHOULD listen to our community."
Fingers crossed, anyway.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)Dex Xean said:

isnt this pretty much PoE supporter packs? they do 30 usd to 60 to 90 to 180 240 and then 480 usd packs a year. Then they do the 30 90 120 packs every season (3 months) right? 

I personally do not mind it that much as long as its f2p.

PoE is some of the most ridiculously overpriced exploitative stuff out there. Using that as a barometer for what's okay is insane.

• Like 6

As soon as red text came up I went to market in search for skins.

I was expecting some cosmetics pack with price tag of 600p (225 for each pretty skin and 150 for everything else included).
Then I saw it on news feed interface (the one that's to the right of navigation). Clicked and got to the store page. Then I was kind of surprised.

During my nine years of Warframe I have bought platinum more than once. I've bought supporters packs. I bought prime access, so I have four extractors now. But with all due respect to the skin designers and developers overall I don't think I'm ready to pay more than $50 for these.

I may consider paying $90 if Zenith pack included good old 4200 platinum (and there was $40 version of pack with platinum excluded). Yes, I prefer to buy platinum from developers, usually too lazy to sell my drops in game.

But selling it priced on pair with FFVII Remake is honestly discouraging right now.

• Like 5

Just now, xGryphus said:

And why do people these days so entitled to have everything? I do believe that Heirloom packs have mainly commemorative value and were aimed at very small group rather then everybody. As long as this a one-in-10-years thing I'm fine with it.

People aren't mad that it costs money, it's that it's priced in an obnoxious way. People aren't entitled just because they call out the way something is distributed. You're not entitled for saying it's ridiculous for Apple to charge you an extra $200 for a very inexpensive NAND Flash memory module in your computer. It's the same principle.

We're talking about the same company that never always sold Prime Vault Accessory packs separately, but then they did. They have a long history of turning things around. However, at some point, you gotta put on the brakes and ask why they keep steering the ship towards an iceberg. Prime Vault Accesories not being separate is the literal, and I mean literal, exact same comparison to this obnoxious pricing for an anniversary bundle. That was how many years ago now, 5? 6? C'mon.

• Like 5

Also just want to add on here that since Fashionframing is for many people Warframe's Endgame, putting full fledged entire new official non-tennogen skins behind a paywall it feels EXTRA bad over 'just' the monetization shift. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, xGryphus said:

First, you're misusing "entitled". If this were entitlement, as you claim, we would be asking for this bundle for free, or unreasonably cheap.

As it is, we're simply asking for a more reasonably priced tier that foregoes the currencies many of us do not want or need.

Second, it has not been confirmed to be a "one-in-10-years thing".

In fact, even the first answer in the FAQ section of the Heirloom Collection page uses the phrase "This set of Heirloom Collections-", a strong implication that this is only the first in an eventual line.*

* https://www.warframe.com/heirloom#faq
(Under "Q: How long are these Heirloom Collections available?")

Edit- typo correction

Edited by Rokken
  • Like 5

Just now, (PSN)Tactless_Ninja said:

Prime accesories are real money only. 

There's items in the game that you need to spend exorbitant amounts of plat to get. The lich bundle is $70 for a few pieces of armor. 

Why weren't there complaints about those?

There are complaints about them, there have been from the start, but you must accept the context of the Heirloom Collection being a limited time offering.

• Like 2