Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The price of Heirloom skins is incredibly disappointing.

Kymaeraa

13 minutes ago, MaleniaBladeofMiquella said:

Would just like like to add my support to this topic. Personally I feel that the prices are a quite a bit higher than I would like but still doable for premium skins. But the exclusivity of the skins being available only once and never again is frankly unacceptable. I'm very disappointed in DE. I thought they had learned from all of the complaints about excal prime and how slow the nightwave cosmetics are to return that exclusivity always creates friction in the community. That being said no hate or I'll will meant towards the team. We all make mistakes and, they are only human. But please, FIX THIS!!!

Proto skins used to be time limited as well.

I find it strange that DE over the years has been very clear about how they feel about the Founders items, but then release this time limited Heirloom bundle with a profile accolade and a heavily inflated price because of Regal Aya. 

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 14

This feels like DE took notes from Blizzard and their S#&$ty monetization practices. I left overwatch for that reason and I really don't want Warframe to turn into that mess. I'm openly boycotting this. I'm not against monetization, but this is just FOMO and focusing on whales over the regular players. Having a game live for 10 years is a great accomplishment that requires a lot of work, but losing players trust with stuff like this is extremely easy. 

• Like 3

It's baffling how often DE refuses to just take the easy win. It wouldn't have been hard to predict that packs like this would cause a fuss, and it caused a fuss immediately when they were leaked, and it's causing a fuss now that they're out. They could have chosen to do plat cosmetics like they do for all the other plat cosmetics and built some good will but now instead of celebrating 10 years they've got to put out another fire of their own creation. 🤦‍♀️

Like check the sub, everything is happy positive yay Tennocon and then 2PM hits and woom:

Spoiler

d6sYSQ5.png

6 of the top 10 posts on the sub are about these packs, even more beyond. And not in a good way. They could have just as easily avoided this obvious controversy and flooded the sub with good vibes and fashionframe instead by following the F2P-done-right they should be celebrating right now.

24 minutes ago, Voltage said:

a profile accolade

Just saw someone with it in the Tennocon Relay I'm on.

kmoYdi2.png

Guess I'm not a real supporter of the game. 🙄

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, Somnium_Bellator said:

The Artbook is even more hilarious 180€ + 120€ from shipping + any additional cost from our crap national mail service just from manipulation and storage till they want to deliver it from their central office.

The Artbook I can at least agree with.

For one? It's MASSIVE. Far bigger than even the biggest Art Books I've seen, you can bludgeon someone with that.
For two? It's also a physical commodity. Warframe dies one day? You'll still have the book. You also have to physically ship said physical goods, so there's a bit of labor in there.
For three? Did I mention you can bludgeon someone with that? I don't think I would, considering it's quite pretty.

I will give DE credit where it's due.
Unfortuately, these new skin bundles are anything but deserving credit.

... and so, we come to consequence.
DE, you can only ignore warnings for so long.
I don't want to be the one to do it, but I am not alone in voicing it.
Burn or learn. Your choice.

9 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

And how is it related to my post exactly?

Because Warframe has a long-since-drawn reputation for respecting it's customers. By not giving into said predatory tactics.
It's because of that respect that many choose to support the game at all.

I am not someone to enjoy having to express anger over such trivial and explicitly greedy things.
Of course I'm not going to buy it. I'm going to also expand on the sheer inundated idiocy DE seems so easy to throw themselves into.

If they're not gonna listen? This game is gonna suffer the consequences. On player and dev alike.
One group's folly should not be a community's downfall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voltage said:

I find it strange that DE over the years has been very clear about how they feel about the Founders items, but then release this time limites Heirloom bundle with a profile accolade and a heavily inflated price because of Regal Aya. 

I've been saying for a while I bet the long term plan is to remove plat, which has different values on different platforms, and equalise ALL platforms around aya...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

it says a lot that these packs are how DE celebrates a decade of Warframe.

They are celebrating it with Tennocon - an event that makes them a ton of money.

Are people really surprised that a p2w game that uses "psychological encouragement techniques" like FOMO and nerfs assets because not because they are too strong, but becayse they are too popular "dominant", is using FOMO to sell skins?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

it says a lot that these packs are how DE celebrates a decade of Warframe.

Maybe Warframe is changing to adopt a more modern approach to F2P. They've started leaning heavily into weeklies/dailies too. That wasnt a thing before. 

but hey- they need to keep the lights on somehow. I might buy it

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Binket_ said:

Because Warframe has a long-since-drawn reputation for respecting it's customers. By not giving into said predatory tactics.
It's because of that respect that many choose to support the game at all.

I am not someone to enjoy having to express anger over such trivial and explicitly greedy things.
Of course I'm not going to buy it. I'm going to also expand on the sheer inundated idiocy DE seems so easy to throw themselves into.

If they're not gonna listen? This game is gonna suffer the consequences. On player and dev alike.
One group's folly should not be a community's downfall.

Well of course. I always encourage players to raise their voice when they feel the game isnt going the right direction, just saying a lot of people will just buy the stuff anyway, or will buy it as soon as it gets discounted or something so devs will never learn. Only paying players not paying and free players not playing will teach them. Supply and demand at its best.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

10 minutes ago, Binket_ said:

It can also be better.

Like far better. Doesn't even need that much effort tbh.
Let us not forget what can improve. Strive for it, lest we burn in apathy.

I know it's text and all, but I was being sarcastic, my dude. Check out my other posts in the thread : P

I'm right there with you. I've always been a huge supporter of DE, and as someone who also works in this industry I've always used them as an example of how to do F2P better when talking with my coworkers/superiors. I've directly referenced their practices in monetization and accessibility in project-wide emails, with screenshots, wiki articles, gameplay breakdowns, the like.

I make more money than mr. "family working man" Moon probably does. I could afford this. That doesn't mean turning my brain off on value, practices, or ignoring my friends who definitely can't. Friends who all support Warframe, too, and some have even longer than I have.

It's not just shameful and out of touch, it's frankly borderline uncharacteristic. Unfortunately I can draw a direct line from this through other, lighter attempts at the same thing over the last couple of years.

And that's ultimately what it comes down to. It's not about the money, or the content, on their own. It's about how the pack was presented and what it represents. I completely agree with you, and I think if they don't address this then this needs to become a permanent black mark on their record- and that's not something I say with any excitement or joy. Today should have been about the community, not about squeezing more money out of people that already paid and dedicated parts of their lives to what's otherwise a beautiful expression of art, community, and imagination.

Edited by Testostzzet
  • Like 2

After looking at it. It's not the price of the packs that's particularly concerning I think. It's the precedent set before it. First and foremost, considering it's about the value, if not more than what would be considered a triple-a game. An entire new game full of content  or 2 pretty skins (with extras).

To sort of frame it:

That's a $90 and $70 pack.  So each pack comes with 6 Regal Aya. Whether you want it or not. For comparison, it's $40 for 7 Regal. Each Prime Access pack from resurgence costs 6 Regal. Equally the Wisp Prime Access is $80. So in the bigger picture, you are in fact paying for the regal. That being said, it's very off-putting when packs aren't consistent. Take a look at the Lich pack with all the shaders and it's over 800 plat, for the only way to get 7 color palettes. Something with a price bloated by what's in it, which is Requiem relics, requiem mods and lich armor.

So a real breakdown of concerns:

1. Packs are being bloated in cost by excessive content contained.
  2. Packs containing exclusive items only would be acceptable, provided they removed excess to create a cost-efficient purchase option of just those exclusives.
  3. Regal Aya is still an imbalanced system, it adds a disproportionate value to things. 1 Prime Noggle for 1 Regal Aya?
  4. The cost of things in Warframe should feel equitable to other content.

While Warframe is a free game with much of it's content quite accessible and they are equally a business, I want to feel good about supporting them and doing business with them. This sort of pricing just feels predatory in terms of marketing. I do wonder if they've done tests in terms of the market for this sort of thing to settle on this. I wonder if market studies would show a higher profit on selling just the Heirloom skins without the extras or if this bulked pack gets more profit and sales really. I would think not, since microtransactions seem like they'd get more net profits from a higher bulk of purchases.

EDIT: Didn't even see the limited-time nature of it. That's always been a  sour note for DE. Excalibur Prime? Narmar palette? There's too much bad in that restriction.

Edited by (PSN)PheonixFontaine
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Ptolemy_Soren said:

I left overwatch for that reason and I really don't want Warframe to turn into that mess. I'm openly boycotting this. I'm not against monetization, but this is just FOMO and focusing on whales over the regular players. Having a game live for 10 years is a great accomplishment that requires a lot of work, but losing players trust with stuff like this is extremely easy.

FOMO is the same reason I dropped Phantasy Star Online 2.

They dipped super hard into that and I was ALREADY weighing the odds with them having Gacha as is.
With their "New Genesis" update?
SEGA gouged out the gameplay, hoisted the profane organs still beating, mocked their own child and slammed the still beating heart into a deranged clone.

All for the purpose of quick profits.
Game was extremely fun. Shame SEGA didn't see that.

And now? I'm seeing it all over again with DE.
Drives me nuts. Why does it keep happening?

We should've hit that breaking point years ago.

1 minute ago, LSG501 said:

I've been saying for a while I bet the long term plan is to remove plat, which has different values on different platforms, and equalise ALL platforms around aya...

I guess time will tell whether Soulframe is a better representation of the values Warframe used to have or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xGryphus said:

Proto skins used to be time limited as well.

They did used to be time limited, and I do remember that part of the game's history as I had been around for it.  I also distinctly remember how it used to be that the stuff in the Founder's Program was supposed to be the only things that would never make a return, given how that Excalibur Prime, Lato Prime, and Skana Prime were supposed to remain a Founder's exclusive.  With how the Heirloom collection is being set up, it almost sounds like it may be a repeat of that, but... being done in a way that doesn't exactly feel as well set up as the original Founder's Program.

Warframe's at a point now where it has enough funding to not really worry about going under any time soon, so thus the need for something that's FOMO-esque in setup is not going to go over well... Especially with a game that for so long, managed to avoid that crap for the most part.

Predatory practices within the game only seemed to start to crop up once Tencent had managed to get hold of access to Warframe.  Inevitably, the monetization systems in a free to play game do have to adapt, as to keep up with times.   However, at the same time, those new systems need a means to be kept in check, otherwise they spiral out of control and become FOMO and other predatory tactics that are specifically keyed in such a way to psychologically manipulate others into purchasing.

• Like 7

Unnecessary predatory marketing in a game that already has a slot system that DEMANDS money be spent on plat for once to be fully able to enjoy the game...

If they are going to be whale-hunting, they better make quality of life improvements, like making slots buy-able with nightwave credits.

• Like 10

Just now, Voltage said:

I guess time will tell whether Soulframe is a better representation of the values Warframe used to have or not.

F2P games and live service games are just getting more and more predatory each year.  The trend is heading in a decidedly anti-consumer direction.

I think it's naïve to expect anything different from Soulframe, but I won't begrudge anyone their optimism. 

• Like 3