The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arthur and Excalibur and the fantasy of warframe with famous tales

CosoMalvadoNG

15 minutes ago, (XBOX)Tanta Cinta said:

In our universe Excalibur Umbra was the first experimental warframe before Ballas brought the strain to production.

Umbra wasn't an experiment, he was a deliberate punishment long after frames were in production.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, (XBOX)Itz2Cat said:

Also with all respect, i hope that you're theory isn't true. The idea of his whole body being mangled and just leaving his head all handsome is really goofy. But you never know.

I don't think it is. The transition to 1999 happens right after the Tenno plugs themselves to that giant body, so whatever is going on is just transference. What I think is going to happen is that we will be able access that time period using the giant body as a proxy. They are even called "vessels". 

The whole 1999 is probably a conceptual embodiment not unlike Duviri and the guy in the Excalibur suit is what our vessel is going to look like there. Whether it's going to be a whole new tileset/open world or just a one-time quest remains to be seen.

• Like 1

If this article is to be believed : https://www.pcgamesn.com/warframe/1999-tennocon-interview

Reb said "But, inspiration-wise, I really wanted to re-re-do the Dark Sector that was made – or not made!”

Basically, if you know a little about the development of Dark Sector, they couldn't exactly craft the universe and the story like they wanted for various reasons, and rather than redo it or do a sequel, they took inspiration from it and made Warframe, which was much closer to the sci-fi universe they wanted.

There have been many theories since the early days of Warframe that Dark Sector is somewhat canon to Warframe (from before the Radiation Wars ;) ), with the Technocyte Virus, the name Tenno, etc.

Seems like DE is leaning on that, making Dark Sector canon to the universe of Warframe, or rather a revised and reworked version of it, with its own story and universe probably closer to what they originally wanted while keeping the ambiance and time frame, and including some new ideas, with Arthur being a prime exemple, clearly being the equivalent of Hayden Tenno, but with a different name and a suit clearly closer to an Excalibur warframe than Hayden's suit. They're going back to the roots of Warframe in some way.

There are many, many ways they can make that work, like a distant past with the origins of the Technocyte (the Orokin already had the Infestation in cold storage by the times of the Old War, but there is no mention of previous uses), warframes (Excalibur was the first after all) and maybe the Void? Maybe Ballas didn't have to go that far in research to develop the first warframes? Maybe Dr. Entrati is the Man in the Wall rather than Wally being the Conceptual Embodiment of the fear of the Void of Albrech? Maybe Albrecht is Dr. Entrati, and maybe he started searching about the Void (which was deemed pure fantasy by the Orokin at the time) to "go back home", because his presence in the Warframe Universe is due to him being transported into it due to some kind of Void incident in the 1999 universe where he originates from (I would see the "Little Bengel" nickname working well in the 1999 universe), and he somehow managed to link both worlds together? Maybe that's what he was hiding from is daughter?

Or maybe the Warframe Universe is simply being a Conceptual Embodiment that originate from the 1999 universe, like Duviri is in the Warframe Universe?

Personally, rather than any of that, I think it might rather be some form of Eternalism, since it allows the liberty of "alternates realities" and that Time is a big part of how it's supposed to function. Like in the previous exemple of my spitballing session, even Duviri is no simple Conceptual Embodiment, but rather the Conceptual Embodiment originated from the mind of an alternate version of us, under the concept of Eternalism, linked to us by the Void. Furthermore, seems like the Cosmic Clock have quite the spot in that story, further linking all of that with Time. That way we can have parallels or even interactions without the 1999 universe being the source of everything Warframe.

But honestly I'm just theorizing, I know no better that anyone else that doesn't work at DE or get early information directly from them. Heck, I'm not in that part of the game yet, I got most of my information from articles, documentaries and passing way too much time on the wikis, so my guess is maybe even less educated than those who played up to the latest point in the main story of Warframe or those who played Dark Sector.

Also, sorry if that is a little hard to understand. This is basically rambling going in all directions, referencing rather scattered and niche informations and English is not my primary language.

If there's one thing to take of all of that, it's that I'm rather excited for the future of that game. ^^

Edit : Typos

Edited by Beam_Hat
Typos
  • Like 2

some interesting tidbits ,  Arthurian myth actually had two swords that went by excalibur  or excaliburn , these were named caliburn and calidant iirc .

one was the sword that could blind when drawn and cut armor like butter, the other was the ceremonial sword often refereed as  sword in the stone in later depictions, used to knight the knights of round table, though spinoff tales states was stolen by Mordred and used to later kill the knights of round table and in the end Arthur and Mordred slew one another with the opposing blades in dramatic fashion. 

later this was depicted as a single sword as caliburn blended with calidant in the legend as it got changed/warped down the line, but plenty of older poems, quotes, writings prior that depicted them as separate swords and different names 

the dual excaliburs is actually a interesting concept that warframe already echos via prime /umbra counterparts  , though umbra was done for finical reasons not mythos ...

and weirdly enough even if the blade of caliburn was powerful per myth the sheath was actually more impressive as it provided health restorative powers and could sheath the powerful sword , among other things 

• Like 3

Think of eternalism, Excalibur being the first Warframe, and what Dr. Entrati would try to do to fight against a void born deity with frightening size and power. It's a long shot but my guess is Dr. Entrati is racing to prevent Wally from altering pathways that would lead to its freedom. 1999 could be the year of the proto warframe suits, the original idea for Ballas to create Helminth or......damn, now that I really think about it, the year of the very first kuva discovery that creates the Orokin! Without the Orokin using kuva, there would be no war, tenno, Warframe's, corpus, Grineer, sentients nor Old War!

3 hours ago, Erra said:

Did anyone notice the text on a lot of surfaces in the area of the 1999 demo? Has anyone tried to translate them yet?

I don't know but at least I'm sure some hints can be hidden in those posters. They're everywhere in the subway station, and the protagonist during the demo tried not-subtly to show it to us

Capture.png

Capture.png

In terms of text, I think this one is the most important but I'm not sure it's readable enough to translate.

Capture.png

Furthermore, I think we should not forget about the ads shown during the TennoCon :

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=14060 ==> Death Mark of the stalker with a TV program, including "New Year Events", but also "Anniversary Celebrations (1993)"

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=3072 ==> Building and Structures ?? where "1993" is also a thing (it costs "only $19.93"). 

The two first ones are probably related to DE (because of the 1993) so not so much to look into though

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=13903 ==> "DETV", with "Solar winds, Silverball, Pariah, Warpath"

Fun fact: the disclaimer for Building & Structures :

There is no way someone will be  able to read this teeny, tiny text. It's TOO small! Stop trying! You're making a fool out of yourself, and you're going to hurt your [???]! That's what we call eyeballs in my house. I can't believe you are still trying. Do you like straining your vision? Your optometrist is not going to be stoked with you.There is probably an obvious eye pun I am missing but I can't see it. I imagine you are combing this text block in hopes of finding some secret into or a hint of what is to come. I regret to inform you, you might be wasting your time. I cannot reveal anything, I won't, I can't, I shan't. If you did happen to pause and somehow read this, I really hope you are enjoying the show the team put together. It really takes a lot of effort and passion to make this happen each and every year. You rule, and sorry there were no "real" easter eggs within this text. I appreciate you and your damaged eyeballs though, and that's gotta ount for something. Right ?

Indeed my eyeballs hurt, thanks

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

I don't know but at least I'm sure some hints can be hidden in those posters. They're everywhere in the subway station, and the protagonist during the demo tried not-subtly to show it to us

Capture.png

Capture.png

In terms of text, I think this one is the most important but I'm not sure it's readable enough to translate.

Capture.png

Furthermore, I think we should not forget about the ads shown during the TennoCon :

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=14060 ==> Death Mark of the stalker with a TV program, including "New Year Events", but also "Anniversary Celebrations (1993")

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=3072 ==> Building and Structures ?? where "1993" is also a thing (it costs "only $19.93")

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=13903 ==> "DETV", with "Solar winds, Silverball, Pariah, Warpath"

The "DETV" ones were on the screens at the entrance to the terminal.

h3JJFJW.png

• Like 2

hace 1 hora, Chewarette dijo:

Capture.png

Capture.png

Capture.png

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=14060 ==> Death Mark of the stalker with a TV program, including "New Year Events", but also "Anniversary Celebrations (1993)"

https://youtu.be/zTTwwUdtb0Y?t=3072 ==> Building and Structures ?? where "1993" is also a thing (it costs "only $19.93"). 

The two first ones are probably related to DE (because of the 1993) so not so much to look into though

Fun fact: the disclaimer for Building & Structures :

Indeed my eyeballs hurt, thanks

I'm not an expert but it seems a lot like Punjabi language. Punjabi, is an Indo-Aryan language native to the Punjab region of Pakistan and India

Hero = ਹੀਰੋ

Edited by CosoMalvadoNG

10 hours ago, CosoMalvadoNG said:

And that's without mentioning that albrecht is basically jotaro from the jojo series.

Lol I took a screenshot of the dude in the hat, sent it to my discord Warframe group, and told them JoJo Jostar is coming to Warframe. So seeing this here is funny. I am however...really hoping we are going to be able to get a Primed Kavat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Capture.png

Another interesting bit, when Entrati types something on his computer before going to sleep, it shows the same icon as when Arthur manipulates the computer in 1999.

Capture.png

On 2023-08-27 at 10:03 AM, CosoMalvadoNG said:

I'm not an expert but it seems a lot like Punjabi language. Punjabi, is an Indo-Aryan language native to the Punjab region of Pakistan and India

Had a look and honestly it does look a lot like it. Ive tried to compare it with the green "Exit" sign but it does not make any sense, Im so confused :/

Edit: Theres for sure an alphabet, trying to figure out rn the swapping. Now Im trying to piece it all together from all the text in the station.

The consonants are the big letters and the vowels are the little things above. It works for eKSiT = EXIT as well as DaRK SeKoR = Dark Sector though the 'T' doesnt appear or omitted. Problem is its hard to see on the video even on HD. Theres a ton of text in graffitis as well and signs around but they tend to go fast maybe on purpose.

Edit 2 : Managed to translate so far the poster "Dark Sector" and then bottom is "In theaters now". Theres also a white sign reading "Emergency brake" near every door and "Smoking prohibited", "Employees only" above head of Arthur. My head hurts, had to watch the video frame by frame to spot the images and a lot of it is very small or difficult to read. It seems similar to the tennobet, mostly phonetic. Here's a wip of the alphabet:

jJs1ZLr.png

Edited by Krilexis
updated link
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Yeah, the channel guide commercial mentioned that channel 93 was changing to 23. That's all just since DE was founded in 1993 and the 30 years to today, the age of the company.