Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PLEASE! STOP adding #XXX on everything!!!

pinkxblack

10 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Funny to see Discord used as example since they moved away from discriminator numbers earlier this year, though 🤔

Tbh I forgot they moved to only pomelo, but they required all users to change usernames (or verify if they wanted to keep the existing pre-made one). Warframe could do that too, but I'm sure a lot of people would complain if they suddenly have to change their username or clan name, so I understand why they went with this method. Neither one is "better" than the other tbh, but identifying unique individuals from shared usernames is always a difficult thing to manage.

What I wonder since this is for clan names is... Why so many numbers?

There can in reality only be 4 clans with the same name atm. Unless DE somewhere gone done #*!%ed it up. Same should really apply to players, since there are only 4 platforms atm.

1. PC

2. Xbox

3. PSN

4. NSW

Sooooo why numbers beyond 4?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Mostly likely It's because It's the "standard" of how things like this are done
It's the "standard"/default solution....and the devs just implemented the standard/default because why spend time making any tweaks when you can just copy/paste and move on?

I'm not trying to rag on DE for doing something like that, heck you'll see this in pretty much the majority of coding jobs: Find a working solution to the problem (or close enough) that you have, copy the solution, make the bare minimum necessary changes for it to fully work, and then move on to the next thing with 90% of the solution just being a copy/paste boilerplate that you don't have time to clean up and narrow down to your specifics.

You see this in everything, from important Tax software all the way to bank terminal code, and everything in between.
Why re-invent any part of the wheel when you don't have to?

Beyond that the only other upside I can see is that people can't complain "Why did platform X get the number 1!  I wanted the number 1!" and so on and so forth....saves a small bit of headache from those types of complaints.
Yes you'll still have complaints of "Why didn't I get a high/low/specific number?" but those will generally be fewer than a 1-4 system.

2小时前 , Naroxas44 说:

I'm confused - why is this an issue exactly? They have to add discriminator numbers to users to avoid collisions with cross-play and cross-save; other platforms like Discord, Blizzard, and many others have done this for years. Obfuscating additional user or clan info is confusing when there could be multiple, and the info is useful for the user to know when doing trades (i.e. cross-platform trading soon) or inviting specific users to a clan (or a specific clan). You could argue "only show it during pop-ups" but like... if it's not displayed anywhere else, how do you genuinely know which one is correct? Having it visible in multiple spaces makes it familiar and straightforward. You're free to not like the small amount of visual clutter it might add to usernames, but it serves a distinct purpose otherwise it would not have been done at all. I'd prefer this to UIDs or friend codes that are much longer.

if you say so, but i bet most of us will not agree with you.

A good metric on how good DE are progressing as a company is when most complaints are like this one.

Kinda like a parent being proud if their children's biggest complaints are not having the latest smartphone/trend instead of not having food on the table.

Not perfect by any metric, and I do have my share of complaints both past and present, but there's a lot of drama to go around for the smallest stuff.

Still, to be fair, I would not be opposed to only having the suffix on the profile, and hiding it from the other spots (I.e. during missions and the like). It's not like it's need for anything else than to tell "our friend" apart from "a random" on very niche occasions. Me'thinks.

Spoiler

As per usual, not looking to measure stuff up, so not engaging either. Just a feedback dropoff in a discussion looking to garner feedback about a given subject.

Edited by (PSN)Hikuro-93

44 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Future-proofing; right now you may only have 4 clans or players named "Clan X" or "Player X", but they may allow up to 999 players to have the same name or clan name in the future with this system, rather than forcing some arbitrary 4 name limit or rule. If cross-save and progression is implemented, now there's just "accounts" and no platform specific accounts, so it would make sense for that system to be a bit more robust since you could have 4 players with the same name all on PC if they've all transferred their progress in that manner, and now a new switch player wants to use that same name as an example.

47分钟前 , SneakyErvin 说:

What I wonder since this is for clan names is... Why so many numbers?

There can in reality only be 4 clans with the same name atm. Unless DE somewhere gone done #*!%ed it up. Same should really apply to players, since there are only 4 platforms atm.

1. PC

2. Xbox

3. PSN

4. NSW

i dont know about that either... for example: there are just several accounts of my name, if they could just simply mark them like:

pinkxblack (PC), pinkxblack (PS), pinkxblack (XBOX) and more, i will be ok with that instead of 100+ of me...

4分钟前 , Naroxas44 说:

Future-proofing; right now you may only have 4 clans or players named "Clan X" or "Player X", but they may allow up to 999 players to have the same name or clan name in the future with this system, rather than forcing some arbitrary 4 name limit or rule. If cross-save and progression is implemented, now there's just "accounts" and no platform specific accounts, so it would make sense for that system to be a bit more robust since you could have 4 players with the same name all on PC if they've all transferred their progress in that manner, and now a new switch player wants to use that same name as an example.

well thats truly #*!%ED UP to be honest...

18分钟前 , Tsukinoki 说:

Mostly likely It's because It's the "standard" of how things like this are done
It's the "standard"/default solution....and the devs just implemented the standard/default because why spend time making any tweaks when you can just copy/paste and move on?

thats why i dont believe this is the only way to separate all those same names.

2 minutes ago, pinkxblack said:

well thats truly #*!%ED UP to be honest...

How, exactly? The alternative is forcing unique names, meaning you could be made to change to "pinkxblack1" or new users constantly typing in "1... 2... 3..." to randomly guess available usernames, as well as players having to change names when switching between systems (i.e. username is already on PC and user is coming from PSN, so now "User X (PSN)" cannot become "User X (PC)" with this limitation, even if they switch back to PSN in the future where someone may take the username they had).

Their implemented solution with discriminators works fine, and is probably the better way to approach this even if no one solution is "perfect".

• Like 2

9分钟前 , Naroxas44 说:

How, exactly? The alternative is forcing unique names, meaning you could be made to change to "pinkxblack1" or new users constantly typing in "1... 2... 3..." to randomly guess available usernames, as well as players having to change names when switching between systems (i.e. username is already on PC and user is coming from PSN, so now "User X (PSN)" cannot become "User X (PC)" with this limitation, even if they switch back to PSN in the future where someone may take the username they had).

Their implemented solution with discriminators works fine, and is probably the better way to approach this even if no one solution is "perfect".

i would rather go alternative way to get a unique name, not plus 1-999 i made up a new one.

Edited by pinkxblack

14 minutes ago, pinkxblack said:

if you say so, but i bet most of us will not agree with you.

You should try to avoid speaking for "us" and just speak for "you" instead. The bet you made above, you completely and utterly lost.

Most folks in here already understood this change was implemented for the upcoming Cross-Save update, which would mean the majority would be in agreement with the person you're disagreeing with.

If you didn't connect the numbering to platforms merging that's fine, lapse in judgement can happen to anyone, but keep in mind that it's always a better look to own up to it rather than to pretend you knew yet continue to argue points that now make no sense.

If this didn't happen, Cross Save doesn't happen. Theres 2 options, not 3.

• Like 5

5分钟前 , (PSN)MYKK678 说:

You should try to avoid speaking for "us" and just speak for "you" instead. The bet you made above, you completely and utterly lost.

Most folks in here already understood this change was implemented for the upcoming Cross-Save update, which would mean the majority would be in agreement with the person you're disagreeing with.

If you didn't connect the numbering to platforms merging that's fine, lapse in judgement can happen to anyone, but keep in mind that it's always a better look to own up to it rather than to pretend you knew yet continue to argue points that now make no sense.

If this didn't happen, Cross Save doesn't happen. Theres 2 options, not 3.

i doubt that. i know that cross platforms stuff come on... i just disagree they using a stupid way to separate same names and allow more same ones appear!

3 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

Discord

discord specifically stopped doing this in favour of a unique username system. but that'd be impossible to implement after the fact now that multiple usernames exist across multiple platforms. What I don't understand is, we have a uniqe username restriction per platform, so why is the descriminator not just #PC #PSX (just to nopt name every playstation version) #XBX (same logic applies) and #NSW because realistically there's only one "Bob" per platform to use the same example @Malikili used above.

1 minute ago, LittleLeoniePrime said:

discord specifically stopped doing this in favour of a unique username system. but that'd be impossible to implement after the fact now that multiple usernames exist across multiple platforms. What I don't understand is, we have a uniqe username restriction per platform, so why is the descriminator not just #PC #PSX (just to nopt name every playstation version) #XBX (same logic applies) and #NSW because realistically there's only one "Bob" per platform to use the same example @Malikili used above.

Who dare ping me

Oh, yea #NSW and #PC would look nicer, of course when cross save does happen and both Bobs use the same username AND platform they would both be Bob#PC , so that wouldn’t work either. 
Makes me wonder if some of us are going to have to sacrifice our usernames, I can just simply delete my PC account, but others… might not be so fortunate. 

2 minutes ago, LittleLeoniePrime said:

I addressed both of these things in other posts, but it might be best to edit the first one (since I'm gonna get comments about discord moving to pomelo, so I should've just not used it as an example in this case). TL;DR is if accounts migrate from PSX to PC with cross-save, now you have two users with #PC, which wouldn't work with a "per platform" system. You can force renames, but that's not very user-friendly and frequent migrations back and forth would cause constant server calls for renames, or someone "taking your name" if you leave a platform. It's messy to deal with.

• Like 3