The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Currency Trader Is What Warframe Needs

Sojufueled

Part of what ff14 does right is keeping old content relevant. They have a meta currency that gets you most of the stuff you need and a catch-all currency for anything out of date. All over warframe now are little shops with their own specialized currencies and their own inventories to purchase. However, once you have what that vendor sells, you are truly forever done with that bit of content. What we need is the equivalent of airport currency exchange kiosk.

At the currency trader you could trade one currency for a lesser amount of another currency. You can do it like real currency exchange where the popularity of transactions affects the exchange rate. That will prevent a meta farm from appearing (people will try) or at least dominating.

• Like 8

While on paper this sounds positive, this would further destroy revisiting content. Warframe isn't a linear game, so even though things are so spread out, they're still all relevant in the grand scheme of gear and Mastery Rank. Such a system as this would also heavily reward old players to not farm new currencies added in new content and just convert their wealthy inventory over. That's the entire reason Warframe adds new currencies and resources every new update, it's to put older and newer players on the same foot and not invalidate the content on release.

• Like 11

yeah, a severe issue is that to make it work you essentially make it possible for the most established Players to not play new Content at all and just Buy the stuff with all of their other Tokens.
and you can't prevent this either as closing that exchange defeats the entire purpose.

• Like 4

ah if only.. I could imagine this happening:

Ordis: "operator, the entire planet of Saturn is on fire"

Tenno: "not now Ordis.."

Ordis: but Operator... you've been at this kiosk for two months straight now, getting rid of your excess alloy plate: they've even renovated the Relay whilst you are here!"

Tenno: "wait, they have? oh yeah, the walls look different."

Ordis: "there's even a -spooky a$$ cult - strange following of Tenno who are worshiping you now, they think you are a statue!"

Tenno: "Cool! I'll give them a relay blessing once I'm done here."

Ordis: "how much alloy plate do you even have still after all this time?"

Tenno: "I'm down to my last 10 million, the finish line is in sight Ordis!"

Tenno of the Cult of the Eternal Hoarder, kneeling behind the Tenno: "wait, did I just hear our god SPEAK?!"

• Like 3

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Sojufueled:

Part of what ff14 does right is keeping old content relevant. They have a meta currency that gets you most of the stuff you need and a catch-all currency for anything out of date. All over warframe now are little shops with their own specialized currencies and their own inventories to purchase. However, once you have what that vendor sells, you are truly forever done with that bit of content. What we need is the equivalent of airport currency exchange kiosk.

At the currency trader you could trade one currency for a lesser amount of another currency. You can do it like real currency exchange where the popularity of transactions affects the exchange rate. That will prevent a meta farm from appearing (people will try) or at least dominating.

Do you mean that old areas are relevant? Yes it should be like that. or who else plays bounties with mr30+? this is more pointless than pointless. Even staring at a wall 24/7 makes more sense and fun...

Or why "develop" new waste, which no one can use? It would be much better to revive old areas with new content!

29 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

ah if only.. I could imagine this happening:

Ordis: "operator, the entire planet of Saturn is on fire"

Tenno: "not now Ordis.."

Ordis: but Operator... you've been at this kiosk for two months straight now, getting rid of your excess alloy plate: they've even renovated the Relay whilst you are here!"

Tenno: "wait, they have? oh yeah, the walls look different."

Ordis: "there's even a -spooky a$$ cult - strange following of Tenno who are worshiping you now, they think you are a statue!"

Tenno: "Cool! I'll give them a relay blessing once I'm done here."

Ordis: "how much alloy plate do you even have still after all this time?"

Tenno: "I'm down to my last 10 million, the finish line is in sight Ordis!"

Tenno of the Cult of the Eternal Hoarder, kneeling behind the Tenno: "wait, did I just hear our god SPEAK?!"

Obviously it wouldn't be just any old resource. It would be reserved for the key ones. As for people skipping new content with it? If the exchange wasn't great for the newest stuff, the efficiency minded would probably want to wait for new content's release, not try to horde some old resource (though anyway, that's still playing the game).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sojufueled said:

Obviously it wouldn't be just any old resource. It would be reserved for the key ones. As for people skipping new content with it? If the exchange wasn't great for the newest stuff, the efficiency minded would probably want to wait for new content's release, not try to horde some old resource (though anyway, that's still playing the game).

The way to revitalize the relevancy of older "one-and-done" content is by adding incentives to farm there. An example of this (while simple) is Omega Isotopes/Cryptographic Alu or Helminth for vanilla Warframes. Giving wealthy players (which isn't really that much of a minority) the option to invalidate new content through previous content completely kills the progression of whatever new mode is added. What would be the point of DE making an intricate standing system like Necralisk if I could convert my 26,000 Medical Bonds instead? I totally understand the reason you're writing this post, but it would only further divide matchmaking as players who have wealthier inventories would almost entirely skip out unless the newest content was restricted from this system, in which case it would be pointless like taiiat mentioned.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Voltage said:

While on paper this sounds positive, this would further destroy revisiting content. Warframe isn't a linear game, so even though things are so spread out, they're still all relevant in the grand scheme of gear and Mastery Rank. Such a system as this would also heavily reward old players to not farm new currencies added in new content and just convert their wealthy inventory over. That's the entire reason Warframe adds new currencies and resources every new update, it's to put older and newer players on the same foot and not invalidate the content on release.

DE are putting such concepts in anyway, they might as well do it proplerly.

the way to do it is via Darvo, and to allow players to trade multiple unwated parts for other parts. So, for example, if I have 3 Nova neuroptics and 3systems, but 0 chassis (thank's RNG) then I can go to Darvo and swap them for the missing part. This doesn't allow me to skip the story or the missions, I still have to play them a couple of times, but it would mean I don't have to play them over and over and over and over just because my RNG luck is bad. The number of parts that can be swapped for another would depend on the drop chances.

I still think this is a good idea, but only for those parts that drop from the same mission. But, it can be extended to allow players to do the skippety skip straight to Duviri where they will give up playing after 10 hours anyway.

• Like 1

Pretty much with everyone else responding in that a general currency trader would actually make a lot of content go from barely done to being completely invalidated, as players will always go for the path of least resistance for whatever rewards they're going for.

That being said, I could see this making more sense for common materials like plastids or salvage, things that might seem easier for most to just straight-up farm unless you're looking at needing over 20k of something.  Ultimately, a best-case scenario I'd expect of something like this would be at the level of "minor convenience", as attempting to trade for anything more valuable like resources to increase syndicate ranks would mean that the content which it drops from would become wasted game space.

We already have a few - though they aren't always carrying what you want ,

Acrythis and baro both convert one resource into another.

If that is expanded to each region we  could have a decent economy of resources.

Granted , it could reduce the already miniscule need to revisit various locations if properly regulated it could work.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
  • Like 1

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Ghastly-Ghoul:

If Warframe decreases its grind and invalidates the time I spent farming Mesa for example, I will just move onto another game that has a more satisfying grind.

That is a very sad and soul-crushing answer.
Unfortunately my heart bleeds when I read something like that

1 hour ago, Venus-Venera said:

Do you mean that old areas are relevant? Yes it should be like that. or who else plays bounties with mr30+? this is more pointless than pointless. Even staring at a wall 24/7 makes more sense and fun...

Or why "develop" new waste, which no one can use? It would be much better to revive old areas with new content!

I play bounties, 10-0 

As many mentioned there, the big problem is how it can invalidate some content by allowing you do to focus on one area and buy all other currencies with it.

A better solution would be some "endgame shop" that provide some generic but always needed/wanted item, something like :

• Every shop with a unique currency have an expensive "advanced shop" purchase (similar to focus).
  • Said shop contain generic but useful items (Orokin reactors/catalysts, Formas, Endo, Kuva, etc...).
  • Each item is buyable only once and the shop resets monthy, encouraging you to get the advanced option at every vendor to maximise the available supply.

This is very similar to how Steel Path Tenshin and Iron Wake works, but instead of running on two currencies that you eventually pile up by playing, they run on every small shop currency, encouraging you to play a variety of the old content to get large quantity of these generic item useful at any level.

Edited by lukinu_u
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sojufueled said:

As a long-time FF14 player, I feel the need to clarify that this is mostly false.  There are hundreds of farms in FF14 that are associated with a specific currency that is needed for specific rewards.

The alleged "catch-all currency" (Poetics) that you are describing can not be exchanged for "anything out of date"; it can only be exchanged for tomestone items that were once cutting edge but have since been rendered sub-par due to the game's patch-based power creep.  And even then, some of those items actually can't be obtained by Poetics, because you'll need things like Sacks of Nuts, Centurio Seals, or Allied Seals to get them.

In truth, FF14's farm and currency systems are more similar to Warframe's than they are different.  And in fact, I would say that FF14 gates its rewards behind specific farms significantly more than Warframe does, because in Warframe you can bypass 90% of farms with a single currency: Platinum.

Edited by (PSN)Unstar
better wording
  • Like 1

Honestly, OP, kind of a poor take.

Something that DE have encouraged, over and over again for years now, is that they keep their supposed content islands separate because it keeps everyone on the same footing.

An MR 30+ still only can get up to around 130k Standing with somewhere like Cetus at a time, with a functional cap of daily farming that is growing, but still caps at around 35k. Meanwhile a new player will farm slower, having only around 20k daily cap, but still has that same overall cap of 130k with the syndicate.

What this means is that, when DE come back and introduce some new rewards in there, say new Mods you can get (like the Pet Rework), then pitch the cost of those mods so that they cost around 100k total, there's only two outcomes. One; the player has farmed correctly and built up a stored amount of Standing to buy all of them, or Two; the player has not done this and has to farm the Cetus content again to get enough.

Basically it presents the case that, no matter the level, if you don't have your grind topped off, then an MR 6 is only barely worse off than an MR 30+. A well-prepared MR 6 can get all of the new items, while a poorly-prepared MR 30+ can not. And a really well prepared player of any rank will have built up a store of the items that can be handed over for instantly filling their Daily cap, too, boosting what they can get overall.

The same goes for pretty much any content in the game that involves a currency; complete the grind and then top off everything, or you have to grind again when they bring out something new for that area.

As long as it does take for new things to drop in each of the old, seemingly complete, areas... they do bring out new stuff for them.

Seeing an MR 30+ grind out Cetus Bounties? Not often, when just running out and fishing for 5 minutes or so caps out your Daily Standing.

• Like 2

vor 26 Minuten schrieb (PSN)Unstar:

As a long-time FF14 player, I feel the need to clarify that this is mostly false.  There are hundreds of farms in FF14 that are associated with a specific currency that is needed for specific rewards.

The catch-all currency (Poetics) that you are describing can not be exchanged for "anything out of date"; it can only be exchanged for tomestone items that were once cutting edge but have since been rendered sub-par due to the game's patch-based power creep.  And even then, some of those items actually can't be obtained by Poetics, because you'll need things like Sacks of Nuts, Centurio Seals, or Allied Seals to get them.

In truth, FF14's farm and currency systems are more similar to Warframe's than they are different.  And in fact, I would say that FF14 gates its rewards behind specific farms significantly more than Warframe does, because in Warframe you can bypass 90% of farms with a single currency: Platinum.

focus should not be on the lifeless and dead farm...
old games didn't even have something like mats when killing........ and still they are masterpieces!!!!! (STILL)

So here devs MUST make a lot of improvements so that Titanik doesn't sink with 100x holes.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952rr0sxtpg01887oyw47s

Edited by Venus-Venera

2 hours ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

If Warframe decreases its grind and invalidates the time I spent farming Mesa for example, I will just move onto another game that has a more satisfying grind.

"I suffered for this thing, so you all have to suffer too." is just about the scummiest take you can have. Holy hell dude.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hexerin said:

"I suffered for this thing, so you all have to suffer too." is just about the scummiest take you can have. Holy hell dude.

You're choosing to read it that way. I can also claim he's saying: "If the game perpetually reduces the significance and time associated with progression, I rather play something else that better respects that".

We're both just showing our bias in reading that. You're not automatically asking players to suffer because you wish for time investments to be honored to maintain the significance of completion associated to the specific grind.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Voltage said:

You're choosing to read it that way. I can also claim he's saying: "If the game perpetually reduces the significance and time associated with progression, I rather play something else that better respects that".

We're both just showing our bias in reading that. You're not automatically asking players to suffer because you wish for time investments to be honored to maintain the significance of completion associated to the specific grind.

The fact that you can't see what you're saying is just... Oof, my dude.

• Like 2

Players would just find out what currency is the most efficient to run for and only run that content and nothing else. Both keeping players away from touching certain things in the first place and from ever returning unless Nightwave "forces" them to.

Also it's not like the shops are actually outdated. Every area has some gear that's either relevant/meta or is viable based on playstyle.

Plus this system technically exists already with trade as Platinum is a universal currency. Pretty much every branch of the game like this has some tradable goods.

15 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

The fact that you can't see what you're saying is just... Oof, my dude.

I know what you're implying and I'm just not falling for it. OP is asking for a system that intentionally undermines existing, current, and future content progression. The message the other guy posted was asking for grind to be respected. There is value to that. Warframe's gameplay and core loop is about the journey.

What brought me to quote you is to outline a massive issue here on the Forums with trying to unravel and discuss the respect behind farmed portions of the game. Warframe is a collective farm of achievement based gear acquisition. 

5 hours ago, Hexerin said:

This is a corrosive approach, plain and simple. It's no different than the corrosive comments found within the Heirloom Collection megathread.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 3