Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is a "godroll"?!

44bananas

Question

19 answers to this question

Personally, I do not consider "god roll" to be "the best in-slot Riven for this weapon" but "the Riven with the highest resell value for this weapon". For example, many weapons will want you to roll an elemental or fire rate to free up a slot with the Riven while adding more stats. However, +CD +MS +Toxin -neg will not go for as much Platinum in trade as an unrolled +CC +CD +MS -neg for the same weapon (assuming the weapon we are hypothetically discussing is your average hybrid gun with a decent disposition).

With this in mind, I do prefer owning many "god rolls", because they are safer to own as you can recuperate or even profit when you resell later on, as opposed to a more niche roll that may only be "the best" in the very current meta in terms of what mods and tools we have in-game. 

• Like 2

It refers to a riven with three great stats and a decent negative. For a gun, it could be critical chance, critical damage, multishot, -puncture/zoom. However, not always a great roll is expensive, because the average player doesn't know what's mathematically the best option. 

• Like 1

It's supposed to mean that the Riven has the best possible meta stats for that weapon, typically being Crit Damage, Crit Chance, Multishot, with - Zoom.

But what the best meta stats are for something depends on the weapon and what said weapon is being used for. And it's also not uncommon for players to just be using the term to advertise the Riven better.

Ultimately the term doesn't mean much and you're better off figuring out what stats are good for a weapon and what you want out of a Riven on it while ignoring the term itself.

48 minutes ago, Burston said:

I see the term in trade chat all the time, but what does it actually mean?! I see it when people post about those purple cards? rivens? so it's about those I suppose? but in what's it mean, I want to know more about those fancy cards.

A riven mod with really really good stats. 

These typically have three positive stats and a non-detrimental negative stat (since a negative stat buffs the intensity of the positive stats), and the positive stats people look for are typically slash, crit chance, range (on a melee), multi shot (on guns), toxin/cold damage, faction damage buffs, status chance, damage, and crit damage (but first and foremost crit chance, damage, and crit damage). 

The negative stats typically sought for are negative impact or puncture damage and negative faction damage (mostly for the infested since they have almost no defense), and occasionally something else if the positive stats are that good.

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

God rolls refers to the rivens and its stats presented.

The best accepted term is 3 positives that are all in the upper echelon of dps boosts like critical chance/damage, multishot etc. And then having a negative that has zero effect on the general use of the weapon so that means no range, no status duration but rather a negative like zoom or heavy attack eff. The term godly is used because you cannot get any better stat rolls that incur an increase in DPS.

But the term is mostly moot and not worth delving into, you will figure it out over time that it isn't worth getting into unless you like to blow thousands of plat at a time which is worth hundreds of real-world currency dollars.  Even a generally good riven like damage multishot negative infested is still worth rolling for. People just love to throw around the term godly whether that'd be to try and snipe people or bait people into getting a riven that is less than ideal hoping to sucker the other person into a scam or just to appear on people's own trade chats are searching for the word godly or just trying to be a "too honest" person.

Different people have slightly different definitions, and its not like this is a science, where specifically developed technical terms exist because of consensus of established or recognised experts in the chose field. Its more like Warframe informal slang. 

Generally and broadly speaking though, its a Riven that has some sort of perceived high value, rareness, attractiveness, appeal, sought after value, rarity, esteem et cetera. Some weapons, performance can be greatly improved by certain Riven stats, and that can also overlap with peoples interests and evaluations of popular attributes/stats to be improved on or buffed. Since Rivens deal with RNG, having certain specific stats for certain weapons, and those stats having relative high end values (there are specific stats, but also low and high end values within limits as well), so having the right stats can be rare and their range is also subject to rarity as well. 

It can be a lot more complicated in the sense, not all people may agree on what the right stats for certain weapons are, and or, even if they generally agree, they may not agree on the value of it either. Like much lingo though, you'll have people who will agree and some who will disagree. 

Its also worth considering this isn't unique to Warframe or Rivens. Just consider the idea of a perfect sandwich. Your idea versus some one else's. What ingredients are vital, and which are just extra and optional, then ideas around the value and subsequent pricing, whether you are buying or selling, whether your tastes in sandwiches seems to be popular or not. How you use the term versus how others do. Like you might see a random guy talking about a great sandwich... but he labels it as perfect and its a bot expensive... but then again, you might agree with him and be willing to pay that much for the sandwich... Or maybe the sandwich is horribly over priced and your buddy can make one thats better for half the price... 

• Like 1

It's a marketing gimmick, plain and simple

There are obviously attributes on a riven that weapons will favour, and you will ideally want a negative that doesn't hinder the weapon, in order to buff the positives. "God rolls" are just sleazy attempts at over-selling the mod. Sometimes it will be true, the mod is ideal for a weapon, but you really want to use your best judgement and treat every "god roll" offer with a ton of skepticism.

I'd also like to emphasize that most people using the term are grossly inflating the quality and value of the riven, because they're trying to sell it.

Conversely an unrolled riven with stats of varying usefulness will be called "trash". This term is used when buying a riven.

I'm told it's basic human psychology. "My stuff = nicer than your stuff, because it's mine"

It's trade chat jargon which I generally keep away from. 

A community term to mention a riven that is so game changing for the weapon, it's almost unreal.

This ofcourse depends on the weapon and what you want specifically, so a god roll means the user selling it has a riven that he firmly believes is good for him, something that he is unlikely to get again, a must have for HIM.
When you see the riven, you will apply your own view and understanding of the weapon and your UNIQUE gameplay, as such the riven may very well be underwelming and even something that can make your game worse.
For example, you want specific elements and status chance and the riven being sold is more towards critical with a tiny bit of an element you certainly do not want.

When buying a god roll, it is expected the buyer to say exactly what stats he is seeking, if not then you need to ask him and usually it's something very specific, with minimal or no variations, it's either that or nothing at all.

There is a reason why telling what others should use, what builds to copy, will lead to clunky gameplay that isn't quite efficient, you should change things based on your gameplay and a riven is exactly that, a custom unique change to a weapon you use, other users telling you it's a god riven doesn't mean anything.

On 2023-12-06 at 3:11 PM, Burston said:

I see the term in trade chat all the time, but what does it actually mean?! I see it when people post about those purple cards? rivens? so it's about those I suppose? but in what's it mean, I want to know more about those fancy cards.

pretty much a riven that gives the weapon overall big boost to its damage, while having a negative that doesnt affect it at all.

Tho often players saying they have godroll riven are often just players over hyping the riven they have an its just a slightly good riven

In Warframe, a "god roll" refers to a Riven mod with highly desirable and optimal stats for a particular weapon. Rivens are special mods that can be equipped on weapons to enhance their stats, and they come with randomized attributes. These attributes can include bonuses to damage, critical chance, critical damage, status chance, and other weapon-specific characteristics.

A god roll is essentially the best combination of stats for a particular weapon, maximizing its potential and effectiveness. The specific combination of stats considered ideal can vary depending on the weapon and the player's preferred playstyle. Players often seek god rolls to optimize their weapons and make them more powerful, providing an extra layer of customization in Warframe. Achieving a god roll can involve a combination of luck, trading with other players, or using in-game mechanics to modify and improve Riven mods.

If you are interested in more than that, some dude made a Google Sheets with "good" rolls for each weapon

28 minutes ago, Bench1985 said:

It refer to such weapons the boost the overall dmg output 

Inaccurate.

Aside from the marketing gimmick mentioned already, it should refer to a Riven roll that pushes the weapons damage output to it's limits with no drawbacks.

The ideal stats of such a Riven are individual based on the weapon it's intended for. This is often not taken into the account when someone claims they have a godroll. They'll try to sell a CC Riven for Pox which has base CC of 1% just because it has CC. Also, what is a godroll can depend on the what the user intends to do with the weapon.

A good example is Latron. Imagine you have a CC, CD, MS, -Puncture Riven. To many people this will be a godroll because the negative is harmless on the first glance, but to many people it will be trash because Latron has two Incarnon evolutions which rely on Puncture. They might want to use these perks, which the Riven will make difficult of not outright prevent.

Good explanation there, what i meant was to boost the weapon to its maxed potential, etc. if synergy applies that's another story.

"The ideal stats of such a Riven are individual based on the weapon it's intended for"

how about Phenmor- Felarx- Laetum- are these intended for -cc build?