Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It seems we're getting compound elemental damage mods with the update

Jarriaga

21 minutes ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

I think they meant they are unique in the sense that they get unique mods, not in the sense that they have completely different mods compared to secondaries, but i could be wrong in my assumption?

Would make zero sense for Tomes to be completely separate from secondaries when the weapon is described as being a new "secondary weapon type" and if it was it's own thing with it's own mods, then we'd need tons of new mods to justify using them over every other secondaries and we'd need way more tomes then just the single one coming in the update.

Everything DE has shown and explained to us thus far, points towards this being another Nataruk. I'm expecting that this book will be incredibly strong, and those new tome mods will essentially be the book's version of Nataruk's gimmick (the perfect shot, which fundamentally changes the behaviour of that shot). Pablo referring to the exilus mods as "auras" has me hesitantly hoping that grimoires will be a new tool in the kit of supportive players (like myself), with those mods giving effects to nearby allies.

17 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Everything DE has shown and explained to us thus far, points towards this being another Nataruk. I'm expecting that this book will be incredibly strong, and those new tome mods will essentially be the book's version of Nataruk's gimmick (the perfect shot, which fundamentally changes the behaviour of that shot). Pablo referring to the exilus mods as "auras" has me hesitantly hoping that grimoires will be a new tool in the kit of supportive players (like myself), with those mods giving effects to nearby allies.

Unless i'm forgetting a weapon or few, i don't think we actually have any actual support based weapons, so Tomes being just that could be really awesome. Something that is both strong but can also be good in teamplay, providing buffs and such would make for a unique weapon. Only issue might be that depending on how good at support it is, it might render some support frames a bit irrelevant (if they haven't already been made irrelevant by frames like Wisp) but we'll just have to see about that when the update drops?

hace 58 minutos, crimsonspartan1 dijo:

I think they meant they are unique in the sense that they get unique mods, not in the sense that they have completely different mods compared to secondaries, but i could be wrong in my assumption?

Seems you understand with ease. I merely said they wouldn't be modded like other secondaries, as DEvs mentioned during the stream, because of their special mods, even if they share mods with the rest of secondaries, simple as that. Plus the "being unique weapon" argument Hex started himself.

It doesn't have to be separate from all other weapons in the game to be unique, just to be a never-seen before thing. Like spearguns in their moment.
Stills, that wasn't part of what I was talking about initially and I've shown where I got that from, so I'm chillin. Matter of perspective regardless to what one calls "unique".

Finally can kill things in game while saying ackhually and a nerd face.

2 hours ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

Unless i'm forgetting a weapon or few, i don't think we actually have any actual support based weapons, so Tomes being just that could be really awesome. Something that is both strong but can also be good in teamplay, providing buffs and such would make for a unique weapon. Only issue might be that depending on how good at support it is, it might render some support frames a bit irrelevant (if they haven't already been made irrelevant by frames like Wisp) but we'll just have to see about that when the update drops?

There's a handful, but they're almost universally things you never see anyone use. They require your squad to capitalize on your supportive effects in order to reach their performance potential, so it's a "why bother, when I can just erase the room myself" kind of situation.

Examples:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

some spearguns offer utility, the Afentis being closest to "support" because of the Ballistarii Might buff

Edited by Skoomaseller

18 minutes ago, Waeleto said:

That's true, tbh i'm glad this is happening, viral/slash has been dominating for VERY long 

Might become Corrosive/Viral/Toxin... which I observe generalizes way better against all factions than Viral/Slash.

But I think DE will know better than to make a Viral or Corrosive dual mod... surely. There's just no way, right?

I like getting new mods, just because I like collecting stuff and experimenting with off meta builds. 

I would be surprised if we did get any Corrosive or Viral Mods though. We do already have some relatively unique elemental + function mods that function that don't have direct equivalents. Not that I would say no either, would just be surprised. 

16 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Hah! Not like players were building for balance anyways when they jump into Sorties with a Steel Path build; the options may be comparable with each other on their own merit for what they’re designed for, how they’re used and combined and then where they’re taken is a different matter.

Wouldn’t mind seeing what kind of nerfs other mods might receive though. It’ll probably break some builds but then players’ll whine, then just make new ones to live in

True, balance is already screwed, what’s a little more. 
Completely fine with the nerfs too, so long as they actually nerf the things that need to be nerfed… and not that poor already underrated item. (Cough cough ammo nerf affecting battery weapons and bows)

4 hours ago, nslay said:

Might become Corrosive/Viral/Toxin... which I observe generalizes way better against all factions than Viral/Slash.

But I think DE will know better than to make a Viral or Corrosive dual mod... surely. There's just no way, right?

They can always limit that combination by restricting the new dual mods to 1 per weapon. Sure you can still get Corrosive/Viral/Heat in that case, or the Toxin combo by using Nourish. Plus, so far these mods only come for secondaries, so I'm not sure how much I'll actually use them. And considering that bosses are immune to full strip from corrosive, using the secondary as a new stripper option wont be a thing either.

10 hours ago, Hexerin said:

There's a handful, but they're almost universally things you never see anyone use. They require your squad to capitalize on your supportive effects in order to reach their performance potential, so it's a "why bother, when I can just erase the room myself" kind of situation.

Examples:

10 hours ago, Skoomaseller said:

some spearguns offer utility, the Afentis being closest to "support" because of the Ballistarii Might buff

Spearguns are a bit weird though because you have to throw the weapons for the effect and most of the effects of the throw aren't overly amazing. Scourge's bullet attractors on heads is alright, Ferrox pulling enemies in is neat and Afentis's buff is ok but i find myself never throwing spearguns. Spearguns are neat weapons, but as Hexerin said, it's a "why bother, when i can just erase the room myself" kind of situation. I at least like my Javlok, Tenet Ferrox and Scourge prime spearguns, but i never have an incentive to actually throw them when their primary fires clear out enemies just fine.

I'm just hoping the Tomes are something you can provide support with while attacking with the weapon itself without needing to lose the weapon for the support to take effect (Afentis returns to your hand when you throw it apparently, but the buff it provides is semi-decent and the weapon itself isn't overly great imo, especially since the primary fire ragdolls enemies and it makes it very awkward to actually kill enemies).

15 minutes ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

Spearguns are a bit weird though because you have to throw the weapons for the effect and most of the effects of the throw aren't overly amazing. Scourge's bullet attractors on heads is alright, Ferrox pulling enemies in is neat and Afentis's buff is ok but i find myself never throwing spearguns. Spearguns are neat weapons, but as Hexerin said, it's a "why bother, when i can just erase the room myself" kind of situation. I at least like my Javlok, Tenet Ferrox and Scourge prime spearguns, but i never have an incentive to actually throw them when their primary fires clear out enemies just fine.

I'm just hoping the Tomes are something you can provide support with while attacking with the weapon itself without needing to lose the weapon for the support to take effect (Afentis returns to your hand when you throw it apparently, but the buff it provides is semi-decent and the weapon itself isn't overly great imo, especially since the primary fire ragdolls enemies and it makes it very awkward to actually kill enemies).

overkill > kill

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Pablo referring to the exilus mods as "auras" has me hesitantly hoping that grimoires will be a new tool in the kit of supportive players (like myself), with those mods giving effects to nearby allies.

Oh, that would be cool! And very fitting the 'magic' aesthetic they're going for.

I need to farm up Scourge Prime. Not because of Support since I usually wind up playing Solo anyway, but just for the proper wizard aesthetic of a scepter and spellbook. Wizard Limbo for the win! (Now what to use for the Melee weapon...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Oh, that would be cool! And very fitting the 'magic' aesthetic they're going for.

I need to farm up Scourge Prime. Not because of Support since I usually wind up playing Solo anyway, but just for the proper wizard aesthetic of a scepter and spellbook. Wizard Limbo for the win! (Now what to use for the Melee weapon...)

If you just want classic dnd wizard, it's almost got to be a dagger...unless you want two staves, lol. 

I doubt the Grimoire will be considered single-handed.  But if it is, a glaive-type would be pretty cool and maybe good for space-wizard vibes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malikili said:

True, balance is already screwed, what’s a little more. 
Completely fine with the nerfs too, so long as they actually nerf the things that need to be nerfed… and not that poor already underrated item. (Cough cough ammo nerf affecting battery weapons and bows)

I think there needs to be a stronger distinction between game balance and “what players choose to do” balance. What players choose to do is unbalanced, and thus from their perspective the balance is screwed if they choose to do it all the time (although SP is a mess of unbalanced as well)

Nerfing a thing will align with the game balance that’s already there, and the purpose behind the nerf may not even be perceivable if someone’s chosen to warp the balance enough; they’ll be temporarily inconvenienced until they can figure out how to shift their build to no longer be impacted by a nerf, if not delving into mechanical exploits like the old Shieldgate abuse using a Decaying Dragon Key

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I like the suggestions @Tiltskillet put forth. If you want to lean more heavily towards supporting role, however, look no further than Silva & Aegis Prime (the base weapon is terrible, you need the Prime). Due to a combination of a couple mods, it both supports the team and can absolutely decimate things. The build I use, for context:

Spoiler

9e7be52118b8c465697736e5f396e284.jpg

That build only needs two forma (not sure what happened that I used three). I use it on my Trinity, It's served me well all the way through Steel Path.

Edited by Hexerin

9 hours ago, (XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA said:

Maybe for like 10 minutes. 

Even super rare mods that are a pain to farm go for maybe 50p tops.

Basically anything that releases is sold for like 3-5 times the price the first day or few. Just seems to be the mentality of a lot of people that they want to grab the shiny new things asap and then people who manage to grab said things very quickly shortly after release sell them for really high prices. It's why everyone tries to farm full sets of prime day 1 of their release in order to sell them for 200p-500p before their prices inevitably drops.

6 hours ago, crimsonspartan1 said:

Basically anything that releases is sold for like 3-5 times the price the first day or few. Just seems to be the mentality of a lot of people that they want to grab the shiny new things asap and then people who manage to grab said things very quickly shortly after release sell them for really high prices. It's why everyone tries to farm full sets of prime day 1 of their release in order to sell them for 200p-500p before their prices inevitably drops.

Yeah i know, i should have elaborated more. But still, *at least on console* even the newest shiniest mods go for a few hundred tops when they're brand new. 

And it seems like we're not getting viral corr etc versions at least not for pistols.

On 2023-12-11 at 2:58 PM, Hexerin said:

On 2023-12-11 at 3:23 PM, crimsonspartan1 said:

On 2023-12-12 at 8:06 AM, Loza03 said:

Looks like I was dead on with my assumption, and my hope wasn't in vain. The Grimoire's great (that alt fire though), those selfish mods are nutty stronk, and those supportive mods are hella nice. Can't wait to hop onto the game later and get on to things...

2 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Looks like I was dead on with my assumption, and my hope wasn't in vain. The Grimoire's great (that alt fire though), those selfish mods are nutty stronk, and those supportive mods are hella nice. Can't wait to hop onto the game later and get on to things...

Yea those new mods look pretty great. The "Canticle" tome mod can be slotted into the exilus slot and they offer some really good effects, especially for team-play, and the Invocations are mainly for yourself and provide benefits to your abilities when you hit multiple enemies with the tome's alt fire but you'd need to replace a damage mod for it so it's whether or not you want your tome to do as much damage as it can, or have it be a weapon you can use to buff your own abilities