Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who do you think the next heirloom skins will go to ?

My money is on Nekros and Ember since both of them didn't get a resurgence in a very long time and both are pretty popular and influential in warframe's history 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Waeleto said:

My money is on Nekros and Ember since both of them didn't get a resurgence in a very long time and both are pretty popular and influential in warframe's history 

Nekros was unvaulted/resurge twice last year.

Edited by (PSN)FrDiabloFr

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing on one male and one female. Wouldnt surprise me if it turns out to be Rhino+Nyx, or Loki+Nyx. And considering Rhino having a Dex skin, my bet is on Loki+Nyx.

Edited by SneakyErvin

I originally have thought Ember and Volt. 

I remember seeing some really sick Ember Heirloom fan concepts a bit after the Heirloom saga. As in the artists really seemed to capture a similar aesthetic of "Heirlooms" as far as the Mag and Frost skins. So it wouldn't surprise me, if DE might have contacted one of them, to actually bring it to reality. Still speculation on my part though, but would also explain why we haven't seen Ember Prime in Resurgence for so long. 

Then I think they might go with a male/female pairing, like they often do. So I was thinking maybe Volt could be a good shot. Possible. I would bet less about Volt, and I think I saw some speculation from people about something someone said in a Prime Time or something, that it wouldn't be Volt, so shrugs. Rhino could be a good choice too. I could see Nekros as well. A deranged part of me, wants them to announce its Caliban. No augments, no other cosmetics, just straight to Heirloom skins, and then Rebecca on stage, just twirls out of the Tennocon arena, without elaborating. 

(Of course good choice and bad choice is also reliant on whether other changes are implemented to improve the packs, since obviously if there are good changes to them, then people who are fans of a particular Warframe won't feel as induced to get the skins, and so the choice is good, as opposed to being induced to buy the skins, which is then bad, so a point of tension and negativity, so a bad choice in the now. Above is just my ability to separate sick and dope artistic design from other stuff, I also find important.)

1 hour ago, Waeleto said:

Nekros is a good pick. IMO he needs another "re-skin", aka tennogen doesn't count. He only has one deluxe skin which isn't that great. Whereas Ember already has a second Deluxe skin already. And Rhino has too much stuff to count.

I'd say Nekros is my want as well but I don't think it is a good guess. Whereas I think a more appropriate release pickings would be in the order they had their prime released so Ember x Rhino seems to be popular consensus even though they have a slew of reskins already. Looking at release order Loki x Nyx is another good idea based on release order w/ gender pair. However, if they are going to do those two, given that those two frames are some of the most heavily requested to wanting changes pairing a Heirloom skin with some some slight changes for those two dated frames would be huge.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The only skin that looks good on Wukong is the default prime skin. The rest are butt ugly. If DE wanted to make money, they should release something nice for him since he actually is super popular.

Edited by MutoManiac
  • Like 1

Nobody, hopefully.

There is a TLDR section at the end, in case your eyes don't work.
Or you're one of those Tiktok morons... or both, they're not mutually exclusive things.

I'd rather have NO new heirloom skins, the execution of it last year was abysmal-- and that's putting it as politely as I can possibly manage. Like a filter of 99.9% strength.
IF we get a new set of skins? I have no doubt in my mind that DE will do the same thing as last time with literally nothing learned from the mistakes.

Furthermore, I hate the idea of skins being lost to time eternally because "you weren't around for this extremely same blip in the game's history"
... and even if you were? You probably didn't have the """disposable income""" to drop the price of a FULL retail game (with DLC in some cases) for it.

Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon and Baldur's Gate 3 are both roughly the same asking price as the Heirloom Packs. (About 70 CAD.)
Yeah, which one am I going to pick? Two glorified Deluxe Skins or a whole game with intricate mechanics and a fantastic story?
If you choose the former, I feel like I could probably get you to pay me to rob you. It's not like it'd take that much effort, fairly certain.

I don't care how pretty the skin is, it was a scam no matter how you look at it.
The actual value of a skin was arbitrarily inflated, there was nothing preventing it from being a celebratory Deluxe skin in the same idea as the Lunar New Year Skins.
You could have the accolades be buyable for IRL funds (so long as it's REASONABLY PRICED, I.E. not in a bundle over 50 buckaroos) much like the same way Prime Accessories are.
Same goes for the Signas.

Even better, why was it so expensive? Oh right, they arbitrarily inflated the packs that contained the skins with Regal Aya.
Not Platinum-- Regal Aya. Platinum was in the bundle of miscellaneous nonsense. Color Palettes and Glyphs, the auxiliary stuff that's usually forgettable.
Their... ugh... reason for it was "So players can grab Frost Prime and Mag Prime" immediately.
... which only helped the players who:

• Didn't already have Mag/Frost Prime.
    • Be it from...
      • A previous Prime Access purchase.
      • Traded parts with Platinum
      • Cracked Relics from when they were new.
      • Cracked Relics via the Prime Resurgence THAT THEY LAUNCHED ALONGSIDE this pack.
      • A friend gifting them it.
      • Etc.
  • Were greatly interested in using SPECIFICALLY Mag/Frost Prime.
    • There are plenty of Primes out there. Anybody with even surface-level knowledge will have a general idea of what Warframes they're looking out for.
    • Chances are if they were interested Mag already? They have Mag Prime, she is a starter after all.
    • Frost is also a somewhat easy-to-get Warframe, being found from the boss of Ceres. Roughly 40% of the way into the Star Chart at the time. (More like 30% now.)
  • Are not frequent enough buyers to have Regal Aya be of significant use.
    • Which is especially ironic, considering the price is really reaching for the whales.
    • ... but if you're looking for the whales? Chances are they've already bought pretty much everything they care to get in the Heirloom packs.
    • Thus making Regal Aya less appealing.
  • Are even interested in using Regal Aya.
    • Some players just don't care for Prime Accessories.
    • Prime Warframes/Weapons are easy enough to get from Relics.
    • What do they do with the Regal Aya in that case?

... which is already a pretty small margin for their community.
But it's intentional, why? Because they know players would buy the pack due to it being Time-Limited and """Exclusive""".
It also mean that if you want the Platinum- of which has far more use- you have to either shill out MORE money for the auxiliary garbage that less people care about.
They COULD have just changed it so the packs were smaller and more affordable, but that wasn't the plan.
They wanted to most extreme of players that can bleed money to do so. None of that "DE cares" charm actually existed, this was designed to milk players.

It's calculated to be a scam. Period.
Heirloom Packs are a bad idea. Let's leave them where they left off at, digging their own grave.
It was bad enough that I stopped making major purchases for the game. I hesitate on Tennogen at this point.
No plat purchases, no Prime Access, no Prime Resurgence-- I'm not paying money if they keep doing this S#&$. I've kept to it as well.

TLDR, because we can't have nice things: 
I don't want to be told to spend the price of a full retail game on what is essentially "tiny DLC".
You'd expect this kinda thing from a mobile game... oh wait, Warframe is one now. Thanks DE, very cool.
So no, I don't think I'd like that. Why would anyone ask for this?

• Like 6

Moving swiftly on from that nonsense...

Considering it's likely going to be 2 Launch Frames, if it's going to be Male + Female it actually might be Ash and Trinity. Especially considering both have been lacking Dev-Made/TennoGen skins for a very long time.

1 hour ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Of course good choice and bad choice is also reliant on whether other changes are implemented to improve the packs

DE functions like a Monkey's Paw. I highly doubt they've actually learned anything from it.
Most of their solutions is usually just "wait until the players who were around for it stop playing the game", so they can go right back to doing the same strategy.

It wouldn't be the first time- nor anywhere close to the last- that they've done this.
They do it update patterns, they do it in bug fixes, they do it in community management even.
Of course they do it in sales too, except here it's a lot more malicious.

The best call in my eyes is just to not do it again. At all.
Time-Limited Exclusives with IRL money price tags that are permanently gone is a bad idea.

59 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

a nice contrast to Frost and Nova

... you mean Frost and Mag?
I get that it might be easy to confuse the two in certain cases, but it's not like it'd take that long to give it a quick double checking.

26 minutes ago, MutoManiac said:

If DE wanted to make money, they should release something nice for him since he actually is super popular.

1 hour ago, Numerounius said:

Nekros is a good pick. IMO he needs another "re-skin", aka tennogen doesn't count. He only has one deluxe skin which isn't that great.

Unfortunately, it does seem more likely for something like Revenant or Wukong to show up.
DE is no stranger to pandering to community favorites, especially when they shouldn't.
See also: The refusal to nerf Gloom, Wukong's Review Bomb, the inexplicable "Grace Period" buff to Mesmer Skin, Khora's Strangledome, Octavia's entire existence, etc.

This also means that ones like Nekros are less likely to be picked. He's not part of the "original 8" and he's not the most popular.
As while the overall community does use Nekros for farming? It's more of a "necessary evil" in their eyes than actually enjoying him.
Which is a shame too, I don't exactly mind Nekros myself-- but I'd rather him than "Mesmer Skin Hollowhead" or "Monkey Automaton", as he could use it a lot more.

Keep in mind, I say "overall community" as in the broad playerbase.
The larger portion of Warframe players are about as dim a coffin buried 6ft under.
Probably explains their knack for dying against all tenets of logic if I may be so bold.

15 minutes ago, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

Moving swiftly on from that nonsense...

Oh please, someone had to say it. The Heirloom Packs were a travesty and I don't know how people justified their purchases for them.
... you know, besides "Sunken Cost Fallacy" doing it's oh-so-wonderful work.
(At least I'm going to assume it's that and not just blind-faith. Which is FAR worse.)

If I can ask you a favor? Please turn down the opacity slider of your "rose-tinted lenses".
Humans are not supposed to look through the world with glasses that are basically two pieces of solid-red plastic.
It had flaws, dismissing them is nothing but asking for trouble... and I'm sick of that brand of trouble enough as is.
Bad enough so many games I have to play these days either go into the category of "watered down for braindead casuals" or "corporate suits doing things that no human would rationally do."

After all, I recall you specifically being quite adamant about it being "no big deal" and "just stop being poor, lmao".
But hey, what do I know? I'm just pointing out things that should've been obvious! (.... keyword: Should)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I garuntee it's Volt and Ember.

In Devshorts 16 (at 3:51), Steve said "Heirloom 2, electric boogaloo" (yes I know that's a general phrase), and then Megan followed with "maybe not electric... but maybeeee...". She picked up on the "electric" part a little too quickly, and Megan and Reb both very much like Ember.
Ember Prime hasn't been released for 2.5 years
Ember Prime normally would release with Frost Prime
Frost already got an Heirloom, but randomly, with Mag.

It's pretty clear DE are going to try and milk the FOMO for Ember Prime with an Heirloom skin, something I'm not sure is going to go down all that well, and if they don't DRASTICALLY change the costs of the packages this time, then they are going to have a lot of trouble with negative press.

Edited by Stormandreas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Binket_ said:

DE functions like a Monkey's Paw. I highly doubt they've actually learned anything from it. Most of their solutions is usually just "wait until the players who were around for it stop playing the game", so they can go right back to doing the same strategy. It wouldn't be the first time- nor anywhere close to the last- that they've done this.
They do it update patterns, they do it in bug fixes, they do it in community management even. Of course they do it in sales too, except here it's a lot more malicious.

The best call in my eyes is just to not do it again. At all. Time-Limited Exclusives with IRL money price tags that are permanently gone is a bad idea.

First I agree with your other post 110%. It was well written. Then to this reply, maybe, but my personal take is... I think we sometimes generalise the situation too much, in the sense that DE is DE, but, like... DE is also hundreds of different individuals, and many of those individuals are going to have different takes, and obviously not all voices are equal. COO's take is going to have way more weight than gun concept artist #6, but framing them as an entity that learns from mistakes, whilst a valid frame, and accusation...

I still think there are probably people at DE, who think Heirlooms were and are a bad idea, not just in a way to appease fans, but in an actual, this might be good for short term sales or sales for this year, but I think this might be a poor financial decision long term, because its going to alienate some of our more loyal long term players who do actually care about stuff like FOMO and P2W and things that some games dive in head first over but something traditionally Warframe has been better about... Then they can use the backlash across the forums, social media, some content creators as evidence... Like i think sometimes people forget that we don't actually know everyone at DE and there are people there who may have more say in such matters, dealing with finances and marketing, sales, investments etc we never see but whose job is to basically say "we need to do this, because money" and "data shows us, that this should make us good money" and if your position is more to do with the creative aspects and the artistic aspects of the game, and you have someone who may have more input around the financial aspects of the game... Its also a professional setting, you might not agree but somehow things must move on regardless. 

Basically I have a slightly less cynical take than yours, but ironically, its also for cynical reasons. Whilst also not necessarily thinking your take is inaccurate or wrong either. Also in case you weren't aware, we already do know that there will be more Heirlooms, as that was advertised for the next Devstream in about a weeks time. Its going to be a discussion point (also why I think threads like this exist, people are speculating for that Devstream.)

I do expect and believe that what they will do, will be an improvement of what the older Heirlooms were, but I am not staking my reputation or ego on that either. I will just be very disappointed if there aren't improvements or lessons learned, and depending on how that goes... Well I would rather wait and see then speculate too much, given its only about a week away, and I would rather know solid details. Ideally, or my ideal for what would happen is that Heirlooms become a non limited time exclusive, all future Heirlooms will be allowed to rotate and return on occasion, that there will be bundles that are just the skins, and so priced accordingly, and that after a few years, may be purchasable with Plat, and people who brought the (original) skins and are unhappy they are being brought back, would be eligible for refunds if they so choose. Then they (DE) announce they made a huge error with the FOMO and pricing aspects, and will strive to do better. Also not holding my breath on that ether, but yeah. 

• Like 1

I thought that because of the negative feedback they practically said they would probably not do it again. Also in the first place it was for the special occasion of the 10 years of Warframe which doesn't happen every Tennocon as far as I am aware.

14 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I still think there are probably people at DE, who think Heirlooms were and are a bad idea

As much as I hate the way corporations work in this bloodied-money-machine overall? This is true.
... and I hate that it's true, because it's usually those very same people that stress themselves out for wanting to do better.
I strike a chord of kinship with those solemn few, it's been... a reoccurring mental roadblock, we'll say.

On the other hand, you usually have people who probably pitched the Heirloom idea with silver tongues.
Thinking nothing of their fellow man, if anything-- they'd simply be "pawns for upward mobility", rarely envisioning what even comes after.

However, we don't know who- or even how many- were for and against the idea.
The point is that what came to pass has happened and will most likely keep happening given DE's track record.

19 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

but whose job is to basically say "we need to do this, because money" and "data shows us, that this should make us good money" and if your position is more to do with the creative aspects and the artistic aspects of the game, and you have someone who may have more input around the financial aspects of the game... Its also a professional setting, you might not agree but somehow things must move on regardless. 

While this is true if it were done properly, we all know DE already has methods of selling us stuff that we're not only perfectly willing to cooperate with-- but actively encourage due to how fair it seems.

Prime Accessories are the biggest and longest standing example of these. They're extremely over-the-top cosmetics designed for those who want to give a lot more extra.
They often have plenty of alternatives for those who don't want to drop the extra funding, but it's often enough for- what they imply anyway- them to make it worthwhile.

I went into more the pricing and presentation than the artistic integrity. Personally? They're just Deluxe Skins with a fancy name to them.
There is nothing about these skins- from an artistic or technical standpoint that a customer can reasonably discern- that is different from the usual Deluxes we get.
The Signas were more of a oomph, sure-- but hardly enough to justify it's price tag.

I also omitted the opinions of those at the time who found the "10 year supporter" accolade a bit disingenuous or mocking, since anybody could acquire it-- regardless of how long they've been around. Since those were more of "broken feelings" than "disregarded logic".
That's not to say it's wrong to have that opinion, but I omitted it because it wasn't relevant to the conversation.
If I were looking at more "artistic merit" or "the feeling of the, it'd be more in lieu of that line of complaints.

28 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Well I would rather wait and see then speculate too much, given its only about a week away, and I would rather know solid details.

Also my usual plan when it comes to upcoming content, since most things are "subject to chance".

I usually only voice my disdain for upcoming content if it's bound to cause issues without a doubt.
Recent examples: Mobile Version of Warframe, Auto-Melee, etc.

But again... given DE's track record? I'm not expecting much, rather than I have very low expectations going into the negatives.
I wasn't kidding when I said "Heirloom was a travesty". I meant that in the most blunt way possible, it had consequences and they WILL carry over.

32 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Ideally, or my ideal for what would happen is that Heirlooms become a non limited time exclusive, all future Heirlooms will be allowed to rotate and return on occasion, that there will be bundles that are just the skins, and so priced accordingly, and that after a few years, may be purchasable with Plat

As it should have been to begin with.

I believe that the bundle bought with IRL funds should've have the Accolades and other specialized items.
Whereas the Deluxe Skins would be a Platinum purchase (possibly at an adjusted price to make the bundle look more worthwhile) that only contains the skins and the Signa.
I don't mind the bundle being limited, but only for the purpose of it being new. As a sort of "Get it while it's hot!" schtick.

In fact, a lot of the Warframe cosmetics (and even gear) being limited when they're new-- but becoming more available over time is perfectly fine.
They gotta push the new content somehow, so putting the spotlight elsewhere is a good enough way of doing so.

I've seen some players look at the Mag Heirloom skin of another player, ask where they find it... only to find out that they will NEVER get it again because of some arbitrary ruling.
Most of those players I've seen with that just quit on the spot, noticing that if this kinda stuff happens? It's bound to happen again and they don't wanna bother with that.
Can't blame 'em either, I'd do the same if I were a newbie.

31 minutes ago, Rathalio said:

I thought that because of the negative feedback they practically said they would probably not do it again.

Much like the actual pack itself, they were... quite vague on how they were taking it all.

My takeaway from their commentary was basically "We'll think about it. (:".
... which is about as assuring as asking someone to put a gun down only for them to spin it in their hands and point it back at ya again.
It seems very back-handed and somewhat mocking. As if to say "It's funny you think your opinion matters."

Which makes me wonder what the purpose of the Forums even is for in that case, but eh....

• Like 2

I guess players bought them but they were way too pricey for me.

By comparison armor in Path of Exile is $34 but can be used on all classes, mix and match. Hell, even Diablo 4 skins are $26 bound to a class.

I'm not above buying cosmetics. I do it all the time. Spent around 3k on Path of Exile but the cost to value just wasn't up to par for me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Binket_ said:

As much as I hate the way corporations work in this bloodied-money-machine overall? This is true.
... and I hate that it's true, because it's usually those very same people that stress themselves out for wanting to do better.
I strike a chord of kinship with those solemn few, it's been... a reoccurring mental roadblock, we'll say.

On the other hand, you usually have people who probably pitched the Heirloom idea with silver tongues.
Thinking nothing of their fellow man, if anything-- they'd simply be "pawns for upward mobility", rarely envisioning what even comes after.

However, we don't know who- or even how many- were for and against the idea.
The point is that what came to pass has happened and will most likely keep happening given DE's track record.

Agreed and completely. I have no idea or clue as to DE's internal structure, but I am generally aware that there is one thing that can compete with greed, and thats a different kind of greed. Like I never expected Supporter Packs to make a return, but they did and for Plat, and I thought that was great. So hypothetically, a part of me also knows that if they sold well, DE may have to reassess whether there is more money to be gained long term over short term. Which... Like we often talk about how Rebecca got promoted to Creative Director, but Steve also got promoted to CEO, and thats not insignificant. It was Steve if I recall in the No Clip documentary that emphasised that as far as monetisation, they were looking for a longer term relationship with players, and building that first, rather than trying to squeeze them at the front end. 

Thing is player loyalty can be really hard to quantify, so if you have a lot of other games raking in profits using predatory techniques, I imagine it can be hard internally at some developers, for some people to ask, well why aren't we doing what that dev studio is doing? Look at their profits from last quarter? Only to have someone try and touch on the idea that Warframes long term success may owe more because of what trends they didn't follow, and being relatively fairer and that being appealing to many consumers. Just because that can be really hard to show in numbers and as data. 

I also hate that too for the same reason you suggest. Things like the Support Packs (and there was actually another example, a few months ago, that I found interesting, but i can't remember the exact details) make me wonder about what sort of internal discussions happen. Certain updates in this game, are often huge. Like they can come with so much, tile sets, voice acting, new systems, new assets, it looks like money. I imagine that someone like Rebecca and the creative art side of Warframe, will often have really ambitious ideas, and it must be tough as far as money balancing and having the people who are more on the business/profit side of things, being that silver tongue... Just again, like there can be creative differences, there can also be well like I said, greed versus greed. I hear Destiny 2 (from other people, I don't know much about that game in particular) isn't doing as well as it could be, so DE people could always be, well don't do that. 

46 minutes ago, Binket_ said:

Also my usual plan when it comes to upcoming content, since most things are "subject to chance".

I usually only voice my disdain for upcoming content if it's bound to cause issues without a doubt.
Recent examples: Mobile Version of Warframe, Auto-Melee, etc.

But again... given DE's track record? I'm not expecting much, rather than I have very low expectations going into the negatives.
I wasn't kidding when I said "Heirloom was a travesty". I meant that in the most blunt way possible, it had consequences and they WILL carry over.

Yeah, same. Even if only because the original Heirloom issues were so tiring and exhausting. I'll need to conserve my energy. I can say this though, if what they announce for the future of Heirlooms is somehow worse than last time, its the kind of thing that would make me personally quit the game (but based on what Reb has said in the past, I do think it will be an improvement) I just have to wait and see whether I think its a decent large improvement or barely one at all. 

50 minutes ago, Binket_ said:

As it should have been to begin with. I believe that the bundle bought with IRL funds should've have the Accolades and other specialized items.
Whereas the Deluxe Skins would be a Platinum purchase (possibly at an adjusted price to make the bundle look more worthwhile) that only contains the skins and the Signa. I don't mind the bundle being limited, but only for the purpose of it being new. As a sort of "Get it while it's hot!" schtick.

In fact, a lot of the Warframe cosmetics (and even gear) being limited when they're new-- but becoming more available over time is perfectly fine.
They gotta push the new content somehow, so putting the spotlight elsewhere is a good enough way of doing so.

I've seen some players look at the Mag Heirloom skin of another player, ask where they find it... only to find out that they will NEVER get it again because of some arbitrary ruling. Most of those players I've seen with that just quit on the spot, noticing that if this kinda stuff happens? It's bound to happen again and they don't wanna bother with that. Can't blame 'em either, I'd do the same if I were a newbie.

I think that could have been an acceptable substitute as well. Well I think the Accolades should have been for anyone who has ever purchased anything, and or they should have also had an Accolade for anyone who has played the game as well in the last 10 years (at that point). If they wanted to have one for peoples financial support and or one for people who have been with the game for a while. I am okay with limited as far as return potential, but not with limited as in restricted to a set time, once only. Like how they do Prime Access is okay by me, at launch its at its earliest and rarest but with time, the items become common place and this is also often reflected in prices (like with Unvaulted items often being far cheaper than when they were the new Prime Access). 

I have actually experienced what you described happening on stream a few times now. Where the streamer was showing off Danre fashion with that new update, and a player in chat asked about what their Dante was wearing. Every single item mentioned, the streamer told them how they could get the same cosmetic. This is Dante, he is the new Warframe. This armour set is new, you can get it with Plat or with the Dante bundle. This ephemera is from Grendel Prime Access. You can't get it right now? In the future though, you will get a chance, with Regal Aya... Oh but this Signa you think is cool? Sorry... Then on a different streamer's stream, a different player linked their fashion. The streamer was relatively new to Warframe, and they asked how they get the cool crown thing? Yeah chat got pretty active at that point... 

That kind of thing just... doesn't look or sound good. I personally got into Warframe for 2 reasons. I thought it looked really cool (specifically some of the Prime designs) and friends encouraged me, that the monetisation was better than most games, and I could earn most of that cool stuff I saw, for free, albeit they explained the Prime Access and Unvault system. So I might not necessarily get all Prime Warframes on day 1, but... eventually. So that was good in my eyes, eventually is okay, its never having the opportunity that would have soured me on the game and yet... 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

How are this many people happy to drop so much money on a skin 😭

Every year I tell myself that gamers are finally going to stop eating S#&$ just to be proven the opposite. Feels bad.

Edited by Himerance
  • Like 2