The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About Proto-Volt aka Amir

I'm a long time volt main, I love the electric theme, the speed and I'd happily throw money at a cool new skin for Volt. But after getting a proper look at Proto-Volt/Amir I'm left wondering, does anyone like this character? I was dreading this reveal honestly, convinced we would get a cliche speedster, an annoying side character that's the butt of the rest of the cast's jokes and from what I've seen Amir is feeling like he's exactly that.

I think the voice actor sounds great when he's given the chance to speak like a normal person, but the character direction has him affecting this annoying nasally voice. I really wish my favorite frame got the chance to be a badass like the rest of the crew instead of whatever we're getting. Smaller complaint but the bottle thick goggles aren't doing him any favors either.

Now I'm sure people will say to wait and see, we've hardly seen the tip of the iceberg with 1999 and you're correct. But I'd like to get ahead of the conversation before it's too late if there's any chance to give us a Volt that has real appeal to longtime volt players.

So I'm curious if I'm in the minority here. Do you like Proto-Volt's personality? What would your ideal proto-volt look like?

• Like 3

i really don't like the proto volt... 

volt is my main and i love everything about that frame but Amir... i don't know i just dont like it

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iudicium said:

So I'm curious if I'm in the minority here. Do you like Proto-Volt's personality? What would your ideal proto-volt look like?

I will have to read up more on him, but from what I've seen and rad about Amir, he's just about EXACTLY  what I imagined a human Volt to be like.

That said, everyone had their own ideas about what the 1999 cast would look like. Of course it's a miss for some.

for example, I never imagined Nyx to be like that. Kinda bummer.

But you are completely right when you say "let's wait for the update".

Speculating is also fun tho ;)

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, WERElektro said:

I will have to read up more on him, but from what I've seen and rad about Amir, he's just about EXACTLY  what I imagined a human Volt to be like.

That's part of my problem with him personally. So far he feels like the most generic copy of like Quicksilver or the Flash and it's the last thing I want to see. I can't imagine having him making dumb quips in that nasally tone for hundreds of missions as a gemini skin.

53 minutes ago, WERElektro said:

for example, I never imagined Nyx to be like that. Kinda bummer.

Honestly I didn't have much of an impression of Nyx either initially, beyond generic goth gf. After sitting on it a bit more, the whole prophetic telepath thing is kind of cool and growing on me.

• Like 2

Volt main here:  Arthas is cool, Aoi is cute , Quincy is cool ,  Nyx is perfect but something is off with Trinity and Volt I dont like the looks and names (its just my opinion)

Kinda ruined Volt for me In 1999.  (In a way when you read a book and movie/show comes out and it's just not the same from what you have imagined) 

I think not even the crownless king himself can fix this one for me. 

In my opinion the character is okay at first sight because we all have types and we all differently perceive the personalities whom good match for us or unsympathetic. The problem is what someone above wrote if you make a face, identity to a character which was an unnamed generic character from a roster then it can break your immersion if the character is not created as you imagined. I think there will be options to customize these characters to a degree they just made to all characters a preset face, sound, personality. This does not confirms nor deny they could have just made these characters as they did or there will be customization options at least what I got from the stream the characters are fully customizable. It's what we will see if this true or misinformation or badly received information.

My only issue with the whole proto frame story is Quincy and not because he is the rude guy but basically he is the newcomer frame in the quest and he got proto treatement before banshee, ember, frost, rhino whom also part of the very original band. This does not mean there will not be more proto variant but I doubt they had the manpower and willpower to make proto variant with customization options for all the frames (including the newer ending newcomer frames as well).

Saying this a a Trinity main, I cannot say so much about the character but I can see the inspiration on her. Basically it's the Baldurs Gate Minsc and Boo duo. I give them credit for this but we will see once the update comes to live how this worked out.

• Like 1

From what information there is, it seems Amir is Neurodivergent. Probably ADHD, but possibly autism. Both is also a possibility. His dialogue in the relay suggests he gets panic attacks or something similar (Elanor seems to help him with those through 'Brain hugs'), he's obsessive, he stims, he seems to have a couple of hyperfixations (tech and gaming), he usually has difficulties focusing on one task but he enters into states of hyperfocus on occasion. Some of the info is from here, if you're wondering: Warframe: data_harvest:protoframes

Anyway, it shouldn't shock me so many people seem to dislike him, but it does disappoint me. Personally, he's my favourite so far.

• Like 8

You can kind of imagine the Hex story arcs. There are going to be a short series of quests with little interludes where the characters develop.

Amir is coded neurodivergent. We're probably gonna get a little closer to him and come to appreciate his quirks as well as how his outwardly jovial demeanor masks the struggles he deals with. Bird 4 if you will.

Lettie is going to soften up a little and come to appreciate the rest of the team.

Aurthur is going to have to learn to lean on others and not try to go it alone.

Eleanor is going to step into her team role and stop resenting her powers.

Aoi is going to mature up a little and take some responsibility.

Quincy is either going to stop being a raging jerkass and learn humility, or he's going to betray the whole team. Possibly both.

Am I right about all of these? Probably not. But I would be shocked to be right about none of them.

Edited by Sojufueled
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

From what information there is, it seems Amir is Neurodivergent. Probably ADHD, but possibly autism. Both is also a possibility. His dialogue in the relay suggests he gets panic attacks or something similar (Elanor seems to help him with those through 'Brain hugs'), he's obsessive, he stims, he seems to have a couple of hyperfixations (tech and gaming), he usually has difficulties focusing on one task but he enters into states of hyperfocus on occasion. Some of the info is from here, if you're wondering: Warframe: data_harvest:protoframes

Anyway, it shouldn't shock me so many people seem to dislike him, but it does disappoint me. Personally, he's my favourite so far.

WOW! I was right about him then!? 😂 

We were in the mall relay last night and some of the players and I were trying to piece together some clues through the proto's dialogues, some writing and audio cues. DE is famous for breadcrumbs so the convo got pretty deep. Amir struck me as having extreme ADHD and relied on Eleanor to calm his mind. Another player mentioned they hyper focused part so I'm glad we were deducing the scene well. I think he's going to be a cool character and more of the centerpiece of this part of the story, alongside Nyx.

Eleanor is the one I'm watching out for, in regards to details. Her dialogue suggests she knows a lot more than she should, which explains why she says "I thought there were two of you. Where's the other one?"...implying both Drifter and Operator, IMO. Dr. Entrati thinking she died is also intriguing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GEN-Son_17 said:

WOW! I was right about him then!? 😂 

We were in the mall relay last night and some of the players and I were trying to piece together some clues through the proto's dialogues, some writing and audio cues. DE is famous for breadcrumbs so the convo got pretty deep. Amir struck me as having extreme ADHD and relied on Eleanor to calm his mind. Another player mentioned they hyper focused part so I'm glad we were deducing the scene well. I think he's going to be a cool character and more of the centerpiece of this part of the story, alongside Nyx.

Eleanor is the one I'm watching out for, in regards to details. Her dialogue suggests she knows a lot more than she should, which explains why she says "I thought there were two of you. Where's the other one?"...implying both Drifter and Operator, IMO. Dr. Entrati thinking she died is also intriguing. 

It's not confirmed as of yet, working on the same information you are.

... But if he isn't I'll eat my hat.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loza03 said:

he's obsessive, he stims, he seems to have a couple of hyperfixations (tech and gaming), he usually has difficulties focusing on one task but he enters into states of hyperfocus on occasion. Some of the info is from here, if you're

bro is literally me fr fr

• Like 2

For myself, my first impression of Amir was mostly neutral to positive, not negative, but not necessarily super positive either, and I mean going off the Tennolive segment. The bit running with bikes was super cool, but he did sort of seem like a side kick quip type character, who would get some super cool moments (I suppose a bit like Quicksilver in X-Movies). So I figured he might get some cool moments but personality wise... That being said, since we can visit the Relay that hosts them, and visit and get voice lines, and tidbits, plus other supplemental materials (Dossiers), I have actually warmed up a lot to Amir. Considerably. 

Incidentally it was a line from Eleanor that made me warm up to both her character and his a lot. She was really defensive of him (for him), against the idea he needed to be fixed or was less than, and essentially just saying they were all together. Since his own lines, did lean on humour, but also sounded like he had a fair bit of trauma, and the character does seem coded in certain specific ways, and this isn't the first time DE has done this, and I appreciate their writing on the matter. 

If you haven't had a chance to listen to all the Hex members banter or voice lines, I definitely recommend it. I think I have listened to most if not all, (hard to be sure), and I ended up liking all of them generally a bit more after getting to listen to them (and their lines about each other). Think Eleanor is probs my fav, just based on how she talks about the others. Oh and the accents. So many lovely accents on all of them. 

• Like 1

I think that if you look at the Proto Frames and want them to make your frame of choice seem even cooler, just about anyone is going to be disappointed in some way.  Because all the Proto Frames are characters, and interesting characters have quirks and flaws.  There are very few characters in Warframe who I want to be, but I like most of them as characters in a world and story that I'm experiencing.  And that's true for all of the Proto Frames as well; I don't want to be them, but I'm eager to see what they get up to.

As for Amir, I think it makes sense that the Volt Proto Frame would be fidgety.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, (PSN)memciva2 said:

That's more Arthur, to be fair. Our Jetstream Sam-Raiden Hybrid.

You know that means when we get Proto-Rhino he has to look like Senator Armstrong.

Plus all jokes aside, we hardly ever see buff guys with glasses. I think that would be neat instead of the typical giant Russian man.

Edited by (XBOX)Graysmog