The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is It Normal For Tennogen Creators To Make Better Designs Than DE?

(XBOX)TheMadCash

What I mean is. The Tennogen artists making better looking designs for frames than the ppl at DE? Like seriously the players that takes time to design this stuff honestly deserves to be in the building with DE. Now im not saying what DE makes is terrible. (Lets look away from Nova deluxe) but they are some great talented ppl out there. What made me write this was I came across an absolute perfect helmet for Inaros on the Steam workshop which was

OEl6c61.jpg

I just thought that this helmet was way better than the latest Inaros helm that DE released.

Thoughts? Should I give DE more credit than I currently do? Could I be right?

Edited by (XB1)Cash201293

Yes, it makes perfect sense for people with infinite time that have to go through a popularity contest to produce nice looking gear, that's the whole point of Tennogen.

The entire dev team doesn't drop everything to work on a skin it's probably only a few people at most who are told what they have to do and are given a set time to do it along with a handful of other things. IMO the Deluxe skins at least to me look a lot nicer than most of the Tennogen ones because more time goes into them and DE has better technology than most of us.

The team produces quality work so I don't see why they even need to be compared, they're just skins in the game pick your preference.

32 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Cash201293 said:

The Tennogen artists making better looking designs for frames than the ppl at DE? Like seriously the players that takes time to design this stuff honestly deserves to be in the building with DE.

You see, DE has what, something over 200 employees, right? Among them there are let's say, 10 concept artists (I'm being generous here). Tennogen contributions can potentially come from any of over 25 millions of Registered Losers™. Which means that if at least one in 100,000 people decides to give it a try, you'll have more contributions than the entire number of DE staff to choose from. Not really a big surprise that a design that really hits the spot comes up every now and then, especially since artists working on the same project for a long time tend to get stuck in self-repetition a lot. 

Bottom line - yeah, it's normal. Sometimes fan artists reach/surpass the level of people they were inspired by, too, like this fella over here who seems to like Blizzard art a lot.

Edited by Reifnir

clearly OP has never worked in a professional office environment.

If DE let their artist and modelers go to town and make whatever poped into their head without time constraint then you had bet your &#! that no tennogen stuff would come even close.

But unfortunately when you work for a professional game dev studio you don't have 4 months to work on a single helmet. Whats most likely is that all of the artist/ modelers have several projects that HAVE to be done within a month or less, which means that 99% of everything made is at a "good enough" point before its shipped.

Themes and styles. Most of which are completely subjective.

Some would rather have a more gundam mechanical like aesthetics. Some more in the organic spectrum like Japanese oni masks. Tennogen has more flexability to perhaps internal DE themes who likely want more alien otherworldly models than a 1:1 dragon/pharaoh/god ripoff.

Edited by Firetempest

48 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Cash201293 said:

(Lets look away from Nova deluxe)

What, exactly, is wrong with Nova deluxe? What, you don't like its color scheme? Change it. You don't like its helm? Change it.

Crying out loud, basic Nova Prime helm with the Asuri Deluxe body is one of the better setups I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)Cash201293 said:

What I mean is. The Tennogen artists making better looking designs for frames than the ppl at DE? Like seriously the players that takes time to design this stuff honestly deserves to be in the building with DE. Now im not saying what DE makes is terrible. (Lets look away from Nova deluxe) but they are some great talented ppl out there. What made me write this was I came across an absolute perfect helmet for Inaros on the Steam workshop which was

OEl6c61.jpg

I just thought that this helmet was way better than the latest Inaros helm that DE released.

Thoughts? Should I give DE more credit than I currently do? Could I be right?

that's a generic horus helmet. It appears you like the horus design and are giving it credit over the more original stuff DE puts out. The newest Inaros helmet seems to be a vase with a skull in front. It's weird but it's an interesting design. 

This is one of the reasons why i didnt like the designs from that dude that left. Cause all i saw from his style is Onimusha. 

Most of the stuff coming from DE is kinda of original. 

20 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

What, exactly, is wrong with Nova deluxe? What, you don't like its color scheme? Change it. You don't like its helm? Change it.

Crying out loud, basic Nova Prime helm with the Asuri Deluxe body is one of the better setups I've ever seen.

The issue is the default colors. It looks horrendous in preview. But I love this skin. If you color using some dark colors and gold/red/prisma blue it can look really good. The helmet is trash though.

Probably because DE never fear trying to be different. While most tennogen creators (including me) prefer to take safer design that is more commonly recognized and liked. Odd and unorthodox is how we get warframe in the first place. Warframe probably won't last a year if they choose to make all warframes looks like a generic space marine.

2 minutes ago, Rekkou said:

Probably because DE never fear trying to be different. While most tennogen creators (including me) prefer to take safer design that is more commonly recognized and liked. Odd and unorthodox is how we get warframe in the first place. Warframe probably won't last a year if they choose to make all warframes looks like a generic space marine.

exactly. The art style is what drew me to this game in the first place- I don't get this sudden backlash against the artist lately.

While There are some amazing artists in tennogen, their designs do sometimes clash with the general feel of the game. Take Hitsu's nova visage. The buckles and straps and such seem a bit out of place. They look amazing, which is good, but it's hitsu's style. Some skins are better than others, and some are better than DE items. 

I think another big difference is that Tennogen creators can take their time, it's a hobby. The DE artists are on time restraints, they always have something new to move onto and what they are currently working on needs to be finished by day X, Tennogen creators can work for months on their creations and refine them over and over.

I wouldn't say that tennogen creators are better. You see it's always more harder to come up with the first prototype or idea  than to build on an established idea. That's why you see people remember the inventors and discoverers more than the people who work on their field later ; might be a very bad analogy but you get me right what i meant to say. DE artist have to design from no reference in the game, while tennogen artist can make modification and add in more popular design in it. Like mentioned earlier DE also has tme restraints which tennogen artist don't.

Well, no, they don't. Only a few of tennogen (of the even fewer that make it into the game) are actually really good, mostly graxx and syandanas. In the end depends greatly on personal taste, I prefer the Canopic helmet many times over the totally expected Horus an all Egyptian deities future Inaros helmets.

Actually, it does make sense, if you think about it. There are maybe a dozen members of DE's art team? Maybe three dozen? Five? And out of that, how many are actually making skin designs?

Now look at just Steam's regular player numbers, and figure if only 10% of those are interested in making Tennogen designs, and maybe 10% of those are worth anything...

I'm pulling numbers out of my Lunaro, but you get the point. There are a lot of Tenno out here, and some of us are talented.

3 hours ago, LordOfScrugging said:

While There are some amazing artists in tennogen, their designs do sometimes clash with the general feel of the game. Take Hitsu's nova visage. The buckles and straps and such seem a bit out of place. They look amazing, which is good, but it's hitsu's style. Some skins are better than others, and some are better than DE items. 

That's pretty much the whole appeal of Tennogen and why it can look "better", it's simply not completely constricted with design standards and they are purely made to look good, DE's Equivalent is the Deluxe skins, those doesn't follow all the "rules", just keep the overall artificial feel and IMO they aren't any inferior to anything Tennogen. Sure some looked better on art and some choices in the end seemed iffy, but then again not everything that looks great in paper will look as great in a 3D model. Paper simply exists, the 3D model has to move, be practical, fit size standards, etc, the end result just can't be the same.

Tennogen can clash just a bit and it's fine, it's not DE's canon, DE simply lets it exist as an optional cosmetic, and DE themselves do it with their Deluxe's skins (which have cases of ball jointed arms, mechanical elbows, and perhaps "soon" floating arms, all go against the "artificial yet organic" look of the Warframes).

6 hours ago, Mak_Gohae said:

that's a generic horus helmet. It appears you like the horus design and are giving it credit over the more original stuff DE puts out. The newest Inaros helmet seems to be a vase with a skull in front. It's weird but it's an interesting design. 

This is one of the reasons why i didnt like the designs from that dude that left. Cause all i saw from his style is Onimusha. 

Most of the stuff coming from DE is kinda of original. 

This.

DE's concept works have a lot more character to them as compared to the Tennogen ones. The Tennogen skins and helms just appeal more to the masses due to their more 'symmetrical' or futuristic human designs as compared to DE's 'alien/weird' ones. I check the posted designs on Steam every now and then and what I could say is that a lot of them, although looking great, look more inspired by futuristic suits.

Hell, a couple of the designs that I love the most from Steam are somewhat similar to the concepts from different games (Which I also liked in the past).

latest?cb=2012121708485037354-Omega_Boost_%5BNTSC-U%5D-3.jpg

My opinion on this is pretty simple. Who make a design what I like It that Will be my liked no matter DE or another Artist does that Concept or design. In this case not the professional or not matter because all about creativity and Inner visuals. There are a lot of tennogen stuff what I like but DE has also designs what likely. The Nova asura skin not likely but there are designes both side which I dont like. No need to compare things simply If you like It rhen you like It what you dont like that wont you buy.