Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just out of curiosity, what would you think about a "realistic" Warframe game?

o0Despair0o

Now, before anyone gets confused: I am NOT saying that Warframe should be realistic. I am NOT saying that DE should care more about "logic" in the game. The game is fine the way it is.

But I for my part always liked the idea of Warframe being a little more realistic, in one way or another.

For example, the weapons. Some of them look like they would work in real life, others, make you ask yourself "How you you even aim with this?"

Try to imagine a game like Warframe, but with weapons from real life and technology from real life. No plasma machine guns, no portable rail guns, no Space-FLAK cannon, no special Warframe abilities like "Chaos" or "Bladestorm". Just good, old lead and frags. Or, well, to be a little futuristic, Warframes could be literally just machines equipped with an advanced AI that is able to learn, or instead of carrying a entire arsenal on their back, they could have weapons build in their body. Like a tiny gatling gun in one arm, or a hidden blade in the other. Kinda like Deus Ex.

Spoiler

Now that I think about it, Terminator +  Deus Ex. I'd play that.

So what are your opinions? Would you play a game like that?

A certain level of realism, can provide a grounding and make it easier to buy into different aspects of a game.

For Warframe, that area should be with how weapons feel in our hands. Melee is really close now, but some stances still feel arcade-ish, (but as we know, Stances will continue to be improved as the devs do more mo-cap, over time).

Another area is sounds, which is another ongoing improvement and hope to hear more improvements over time.

One area for example, having Bows operate realistically for combat would be awesome to see. What we see with current Bow animations is more contemporary stationary competition shooting, whereas what was used by warriors on Horseback was traditional Hunting/Combat oriented. The same with arrow drop over distance, arrows drop too soon too fast, compared to the distances we currently use them in generally confined areas (so moving to more open areas, having them tweaked some in flight speed and draw speeds would be nice to see). 

Spoiler

At least in my case, these types of aspects is what draws me a away from certain weapons and towards others in how they feel in a fast paced game.

There's realistic, structured, immersive Sci fi, and there's random, anything goes, technobabble, basic physics ignoring fantasy. 

Warframe could be moved from the second type to the first, by remaking most weapon models, remaking the damage system. Plasma weapons are fine, rail guns are fine as long as they can shoot higher velocity than a real life bow and arrow, or even make rail guns hitscan, but only them.

Infested, technocyte, Warframes, void, that's all fine, it's part of the speculative Sci fi that makes the game. It's the basic physics, ergonomics, and logic of weapons that kills immersion for me most of the time.

Like the Hek. I just can't figure out how it would work. It's not a void magic gun, just a shot gun. We have known how to make these for a very long time, even made some that look very much like Hek. (I suspect Hek is based on them).

All characters are right handed, so why do so many guns in Warframe have magazines on the right side so the user has to reach across the gun to reload? And why is the magazine right in the middle of one of the barrels? How does it feed to the others? Why isn't it at the back? 

And it's by no means the only nonsensical weapon, just one that's been around forever. 

Zakti looks completely uncomfortable to hold, so many stocks look like they would be completely ineffective and don't even look cool. 

I'd be against effectively making Warframe a call of duty clone using current real life weapons, but there's no reason weapons have to be illogically designed just because it's a plasma gun, or future gun or whatever. 

Edited by Kinetos

On 7/21/2017 at 6:31 AM, o0Despair0o said:

Now, before anyone gets confused: I am NOT saying that Warframe should be realistic. I am NOT saying that DE should care more about "logic" in the game. The game is fine the way it is.

[...]

So what are your opinions? Would you play a game like that?

I honestly think it would remind me far too much of every other shooter and mech/exosuit/robot science fiction game/show/film. I think I'd just play those rather than want another realistic-warframe.

The weirdness that is Warframe is intrinsic to the game, and why it's as popular as it is. 

To say "realistic" and "warframe" doesn't really describe what you're asking for. You'd be asking for a realistic exoskeleton / exosuit game, actually.

Warframe, in my mind, is no longer (and won't ever be) synonymous with a realistic exoskeleton (which is its actual origin: it's a well-documented fact, mentioned by Steve more than once, that he took the name "Warframe" from an old Boeing R&D project to fit soldiers with exoskeletons).

Had DE built their game around a look, feel, and playstyle closer to the Boeing project, I'm not sure the game would be as popular as it is now. Why? I go back to the weirdness and casual atmosphere that is Warframe: it's what sets it apart from every other shooter/action coop/combat game.

The whole funky spessninja thing is what makes WF an original game.

You can find exactly what you say in some CoD, Crisis, Killzone, or even some movies like Real Steel (where the robot is remote controlled as a frame)

Imo most weird things in WF are explained with some "space magic" twists, wich is (most of the time) enough to me, but I agree some details could find an easy explanation when ingame, it's actually plain wtf :clem: