The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is having Prime variant important for you psychologically?

Altagraive

For me the main thing is that the Prime is strictly better than the other, so it is desirable for that reason. There are some warframe s that I actually prefer the standard look but use the Prime because of the stat buff. 

3 minutes ago, Imaru said:

For me the main thing is that the Prime is strictly better than the other, so it is desirable for that reason. There are some warframe s that I actually prefer the standard look but use the Prime because of the stat buff. 

True.  I'm happy they gave us the option to use the Vanilla skin on the Prime Warframes now though.

No, can't say it's ever affected me for more than 5 seconds, I'll get it eventually if I care enough. If it's something unattainable and has no significant advantage (or even if it does at times) I move on because I'm a grown &#! man and mature enough to not let a shiny trinket bother me. 

Doesn't bother me, prime or not. I have regular Ember and Ember Prime, have more forma on my regular than my prime. Plays the same, looks the same. Only difference is no prime next to the name, slightly lower energy and Shields but nothing game changing. 

well most of the prime skins i found them to be underwelming, the stat gap isnt that big imo.They have the same abilities and such.The only and only way i would care if the UMBRA will bring something diff to the table.Then yes i would care if my excal is umbra or not (still wont use the umbra skin, caduto is better ).

As a completionist, not having Excal Prime is eating me alive. As a realist, I wasn't a founder and I will never have him. It's bittersweet, I understand why they did this, but they had to foresee that a game like Warframe would attract people that enjoy collecting everything in the game. Luckily for me, Inaros and Nekros are currently my "mains."  There's always Umbra, maybe...

It would have been quite better IMO if the "prime" version was an upgrade set or something for the regular version, even if it was purely cosmetic, in fact, it would be interestingly one of the few cosmetic items you could farm for, what really grinds my gears is how prime weapons are usually not a side-grade but a huge direct upgrade from their vanilla counterparts, I was going to build a Latron recently and felt horribly underwhelmed by the lack of starting power the thing had in comparison with Latron Prime.

I only care about primes when the original is a pain in the arse to farm (Ivara Prime WHEN) or if the frame is doing poorly and will be reworked when they get primed (Oberon, Hydroid). 

There's also the outlier in Nekros Prime who looks vastly better (in my opinion of course) then the basic form. Not to say that Nekros himself looks bad but I love Nekros Prime's mask.

Edited by Cryptix123

For me it’s about possible revisits to a frame I love. In my case it was Oberon. The first frame I ever acquired outside of the starter. He was my favorite. I loved his play style and what he could do for the game. But then Warframe evolved. And Oberon was left behind. But then his Prime came out. And because of the tweaks, he’s a great frame again. However, despite the fact that I have Oberon Prime, I still use his default skin. Sorry, DE, but Oberon Prime is fugly.

Edited by (XB1)Ivan of Jupiter

I started an corpus eximus defense sortie the other day and a Loki joined (Loki, not Loki prime).  I admit I was worried.  Not only because he did not have the prime version (i.e. lazy), but also because the majority of players have no idea how to properly mod him and think his role is to be the invisible reviver.. 

But this guy was removing weapons from enemies and turned out to be damage lead with that sweet invisibility melee bonus.  

It's the player not the frame.  Yes theoretically you can play better with a prime, but it is by no means nessesary.  

Even though I'm not a founder and I'd love an excellent prime, I respect DE for never releasing him and honoring thier initial promise.  

Edited by Educated_Beast

6 hours ago, DarthBane1 said:

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Excal P is not very good. Actually, when they released him they did not want him to have ANY extra stats. He just had a bug where his shield recharge was slightly faster. Ever since then, each prime has had some type of "boost". 

I do have every prime frame yet, I mainly only have them because of the extra boost in power. Other then that, I don't care on how shiny they are. 

This, though technically Excal P has 25 more base armor than regular Excal, which really isn't noticable... Other than that he just had some extra polarities, which you could always just use a couple forma to get the same result with regular Excal.  He's the only prime that doesn't have a significant stat increase because he's the only prime that was solely obtainable by paying money, and DE didn't want it to be P2W. 

More on topic with the OP, I don't feel it affects me all that much.  Like a few others, I like playing some of the newer frames like Nidus that have a long time to wait before we ever get to see a primed version of em.  I mean if a primed version is obtainable, then sure, I'll use that, but if I can't... well.. I have better and more productive things to spend my energy on rather than being upset over something I know I can't ever have.  I'm perfectly fine playing with a base frame simply because I enjoy playing as that frame - being primed doesn't change that much, if at all.  

Thanks for the awesome replies, now I feel like a bad person for caring about this stuff.

And no I'm not complaining, I fully understand what founder program is. It's just if Ash Prime was founders' item and I couldn't get him, I dunno, I probably wouldn't be able to let it go, despite understanding how it works.

Though there is one frame that I prefer regular version over prime version.

Спойлер

It's Rhino, because Prime version has meat chunks covering rubedo skin in places making it look worse than regular version. Even if you cover them with iron skin they still look out of place compared to beautifully glowing rubedo plating.

Is this secretly an Excalibur Prime thread?

Those do get locked up pretty fast usually.

Anyway, before this gets locked up, my view is that it's all psychological.

If there is something better even if it is insignificant, the concept of it being better makes people desire it.

This is why Excalibur Prime, despite only having 25% more armor, which equates to about 5 more effective hp or so, is so sought after even though the boost wouldn't be noticeable once the mods are added.

Also, the fact that he is exclusive makes him even more sought after. It is also psychological for people to want what they can't have; To think what they can't or was told not to. 

Don't think of a pink elephant with a tutu for the rest of this post! 

What did you think of and how soon did you think of it?

You can't have Excalibur Prime!

What desire came to mind?

In reality, if he was released as per any other Prime frame, he will be the worse Prime of all and the feeling of owning him will be no different from owning Excalibur or the Prime version of any other frame.

No doubt that people will definitely still scrap Excalibur for him but they do this the same way for the other Primes. It's purely psychological.

Nobody can honestly say the Primes are significantly better than their non-Prime counterparts. In fact, if you remove the Prime skin and if you do not check the name of the frame used, most will not be able to tell the difference.

However, the comfort of knowing you have invested time and effort leveling and formaing a frame that is the best version is what makes Primes sought after as well.

Once we introduce an "Enhanced Prime" version which I suspect is what Umbras are, this comfort goes away and people will only want to forma and put exilus adapters on the "Enhanced Prime" versions and not the Primes.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

To me, Prime is a matter of prestige and looks mostly, plus stats just a little bit. If I can make the Prime I will (mastery matters too), but I won't bend over backwards to make it happen.

"Psychologically" though, that's an interesting question... Some of the frames I love (Mag and Banshee), I find that I'm really glad I have their Prime variants. (I mean, I did straight-up buy Banshee Prime.) Even the slight increase in efficacy for frames I play all the time is well worth the effort. I felt I needed Banshee Prime, or as close to need as I get with playing a video game.

Others though -- if I manage to gather all the parts, that's great. But not essential. I'm not sure, for example, if I'll ever get Ember Prime, but I'm happy using regular Ember and will continue to do so. Perhaps even a while after getting her Prime, since I've already invested a potato and Exilus into Ember and might not be keen to do it again. Looks are a big driving factor, but we have alternate skins and there are a few frames on which I prefer the original appearance over the prime anyway.

With my mildly severe Pokemon Disorder, a.k.a. "gotta catch 'em all desease", yes, it is important to have a Prime variant for me, because I want to have everything there is.

Everything obtainable, that is. Not gonna sacrifice my firstborn for the founders' stuff, my Pokemon Disorder is not in such a terminal stage.

As for using Prime over non-Prime, of course I will use the shiniest.

As for Gold and Regal vs. Dark and Edgy - Green and Magenta doesn't care what lies underneath.

But in the end all bows to Tennogen anyway. Unless it is Mirage Prime.

Edited by WindigoTP