Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operators need a name

-PP-Eos

But all of those are the way we are called, like I could call you IRL "man", "girl", "human", or even "Freak" (won't go further to keep it gentle :) )
What I want is a personal name to my operator. Like my weapons have their own name and warframes have their own name. Why name a kitten if he cannot give you a name in return ?

6 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

is that why so much story content can only be played solo? and in multiplayer the username is literally the operator's name. so...

That's the point of being able to change it, so the username isn't the operator's name.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:19 PM, Siilk said:

As was already mentioned in this thread, the name you came up with when creating the account(some assassins mention it occasionally BTW when addressing you), actually is the operator's name.

It's merely a referenced variable in the scripts that look up your alias for the account you're playing on.
It has nothing to do with the operator.

I'd be open to being able to name my operator in game, I've had a name for her this long anyways.

just keep it as operator because if we give it a name it would be complex put it into the game, the only one that actually has special implanted say name correctly is fallout 4 cosworth.  He pronounce all the bloody people's name I think nearly all, but I am pretty sure he sort of did say "James, Luke, John, Mat" whatever name you could put it, but I don't think the DE is willing put their actors or voicer doing tons name which its going bleed their mouth badly if they did it.

On 2/18/2018 at 11:26 AM, EOS6 said:

Hello !

As says the title, operators need a name.
This question did only hit me after a few hundred of hours post- Second Dream quest, and especially as I decided to take more time to fight those giant beasts AKA teralysts (and its bigger mates).

We can customize OPs, make them either male or female-like with multiple options like face, voice, and suit. We even got magus arcanes for them, but still, they are only a flesh puppet. I got attached to my female (-like) operator, and got her some cool stuff. Now that I am really attached to her, i'd like to give her a name. I mean, yeah, i already have a pseudo, identifying myself. But warframes have names,  Zaws and even weapons have names, and not the operator ?

Maybe that name ccould be shown when you're in operator mod ?

Please DE, take the time to think about it. Also, I'd like to have the point of view from other players. Would you like to name your operator ?

Ten...no

This thread again...

The fact that your Operator uses your account name is very intentional. They could've let you name your Operator separately, but chose not to. The big point behind it that this is supposed to drive home is what's revealed in Second Dream. Normally, the name of whatever Warframe you're using is displayed below your health bar, the status of the tool you're operating. But when you step out of your Warframe, you are what it displays. The Operator is you, the player, the one who'd been controlling the Warframes this entire time. It's a deliberate visual cue to further sink in this grand idea - that the player is the Operator, and the strings controlling the puppet take on a very real, physical form in that world. To allow you to change this would take away from that, IMO.

That said, I do have a name for my Operator, and something of a story behind him, so I wouldn't be entirely opposed to this. Being able to further expand on the character I've been building up could be a welcome addition, if done well.

Edited by EmissaryOfInfinity

On 2/19/2018 at 11:52 PM, ChaoticEdge said:

just keep it as operator because if we give it a name it would be complex put it into the game, the only one that actually has special implanted say name correctly is fallout 4 cosworth.  He pronounce all the bloody people's name I think nearly all, but I am pretty sure he sort of did say "James, Luke, John, Mat" whatever name you could put it, but I don't think the DE is willing put their actors or voicer doing tons name which its going bleed their mouth badly if they did it.

There's no need for the game to pronounce your name. It doesn't pronounce your username thus far, why would it try to pronounce your operator's name?

23 hours ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Unlikely to happen though, at least in the form you want.

Imagine if all 4 players uses names different from their accounts, 1 of them can go afk or troll you and you may never figure out who is who before he/she leaves.

Easy fix is to have the operator's name in the GUI health menu, and in the player overview. (hit escape, hover over the player)

6 minutes ago, Cyalpha08 said:

At this point, Lore Wise, Im fairly certain the Tenno had their names more or less stripped from records, Due to them kind of being. Terrible horrible Void corrupted children slated for execution and all.

And so we should now be able give them a name. :)

Given my current favorite dumb fan theory about Warframe is its entirely a make believe scifi story run by a bunch of children at a school. This entire thread is amusing to me.
Its a dumb theory. "My warframe can shoot lightning! AND RUN FAST and he can use shields that make BULLETS MOVE FASTER!"
"Well MINE CAN MAKE SNOWGLOBES AND FREEZE THINGS." "Mines a rock."