Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rest In Peace John Bain, TotalBiscuit.

ChaoticEdge

2 hours ago, main_antagonist said:

Plenty of other games have done it can you give me an example of when that has turned out bad?

No because I dont bother much keeping my eye on such things. I know games have done it for devs, but for an outsider (which this actually is) I cant recall a single one. It simply doesnt fly well with me if it is something that can actually upset people, which death often can, believe me. It simply doesnt belong in games imo. Graveyards or possibly online groups would be the place to remember them if you feel that need.

It is sad he is dead, no denying that, but the whole gloryfication of someone is beyond me if it can actually effect some people the other way around. No person is important enough to have a memorial raised in their honor if that memorial can somehow cause grief to someone else, atleast not in a game we play to have fun. Leave real life at the doorstep.

IF there's going to be any ingame memorial...It needs to be in memory of ALL players who were lost to cancer or some other horrible illness. Not just one semi-famous player.

Also, if TB's family and widow say no to the idea of having an ingame memorial in his name...then that ABSOLUTELY needs to be respected, regardless of what everyone else around here wants. This is a very private matter and it needs to remain so.

As a player that watched his father battle and ultimately lose to cancer 3 years ago, I have complete empathy for his real friends and family. TB seemed like a really nice bloke and he certainly made a lot of people smile and probably think with his YouTube shenanigans - and for that he will be missed. It's sad that he struggled with that for so long...

That being said.

10 hours ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Absolutely not.

While you may think this is great and respectful, it is not always what the family of the deceased or what the deceased would want or would have wanted.

While it is probably suggested and could be done with good intentions, this can also be seen by others as using someone's death to spur interest in the medium, just like movies and films which make a big fuss out of the death of an actor who used to or has appeared in the film or songs supposedly written for a recent departed relative.

It is a nice gesture but some things should just stay private and not immortalised by becoming a permanent feature in an entertainment avenue.

9 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

If you need to handle the death of someone (in this case apparently someone you dont even know or probably have never met) do it alone or with likeminded people irl.

8 hours ago, rune_me said:

On Topic: Let's leave the memorial out. It could very quickly become misunderstood and seen as not very respectful to family and friends of the deceased. 

Agreed.

Leave it alone folks. If you feel the need to pay respects and honor him, do it in your personal way and don't make an obvious spectacle of it. Because I don't think that's what TB or his family would want.

Edited by MirageKnight

I get that people like him as an internet persona. I get that his review of Warframe during early beta brought a windfall of new players to the game. I know that he was later sponsored (by DE?) to revisit Warframe in a more developed stage. I get it. But I see the adoration in the forums and within the game, I see the many requests for a memorial, I see Reb and Megan crying live on stream. And I'm like... who was this guy to Warframe? 

There is a difference between showing someone appreciation for helping you on one occasion or more, and bemoaning the guy, shedding tears for his passing. Is there something I'm missing here?

Can someone explain this vivid reaction to me?

Disclaimer: To make myself clear, I am not criticizing the way this community or D.E grieve the loss of TB. This is plain curiosity. As an old-timer here I feel like there exists an entire chapter in Warframe history that I'm unsavvy to. 

Edited by Tellakey

As far as I know, "This guy" and his early review of Warframe was essential in boosting its playerbase at the time. Had it not been for TB, who knows what would've become of this amazing game. The devs have acknowledged this fact multiple times.

It's no surprise as to why TB is being mourned by multiple Tenno across the system, as he was there to help Warframe get the boost it needed to become what it is today.

First, take a chill pill. Don't worry so much about how everyone else handles a loss in their community.

Second: I personally had a love/hate fan-relationship with TB (if that makes sense), so I wasn't a super hardcore fan of the guy to put nicely. However, he had an outrageous reach in the gaming world because of his critic style/personality and touched many people's hearts with his friendship. He also got a lot of people to take a look at Warframe in its early stages some five years ago, or however long it was. As you saw on stream, he was clearly in some form close to people at DE and him losing his life affected them.

I highly recommend that you take a step back and look at the grand picture here instead of insinuating that how people are grieving and such are uncalled for.

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Tellakey:

I get that people like him as an internet persona. I get that his review of Warframe during early beta brought a windfall of new players to the game. I know that he was later sponsored (by DE?) to revisit Warframe in a more developed stage. I get it. But I see the worship in the forums and within the game, I see the many requests for a memorial, I see Reb and Megan crying live on stream. And I'm like... who was this guy to Warframe? 

There is a difference between showing someone appreciation for helping you on one occasion or more, and bemoaning the guy, shedding tears for his passing. Is there something I'm missing here?

Can someone explain this vivid reaction to me?

Aside from the obvious, why does it bother you so much? It doesnt matter to you at all HOW someone reacts to someones passing does it? 

14 minutes ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

As far as I know, "This guy" and his early review of Warframe was essential in boosting its playerbase at the time. Had it not been for TB, who knows what would've become of this amazing game. The devs have acknowledged this fact multiple times.

It's no surprise as to why TB is being mourned by multiple Tenno across the system, as he was there to help Warframe get the boost it needed to become what it is today.

13 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

He helped, a lot.

Cool. Perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I definitely acknowledge his one-time significant contribution to Warframe. I wouldn't say he saved the game simply because we couldn't know. But that he is worthy of the title Patron I have no doubt.

The reactions I see here, especially the ones from Reb and Megan, insinuate to me a closer relationship between TB and D.E. I guess I'm asking whether such a relationship existed or was TB's contribution just a one-and-done.

12 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

First, take a chill pill. Don't worry so much about how everyone else handles a loss in their community.

Second: I personally had a love/hate fan-relationship with TB (if that makes sense), so I wasn't a super hardcore fan of the guy to put nicely. However, he had an outrageous reach in the gaming world because of his critic style/personality and touched many people's hearts with his friendship. He also got a lot of people to take a look at Warframe in its early stages some five years ago, or however long it was. As you saw on stream, he was clearly in some form close to people at DE and him losing his life affected them.

I highly recommend that you take a step back and look at the grand picture here instead of insinuating that how people are grieving and such are uncalled for.

Not worrying. Already chilled. I'm just curious. Thanks for interpreting my curiosity as criticism. I am insinuating no such thing as that the way people are grieving is uncalled for. Do me a favor. Let's not drag this thread into a S#&$storm.

7 minutes ago, Shiichibukai said:

Aside from the obvious, why does it bother you so much? It doesnt matter to you at all HOW someone reacts to someones passing does it? 

Why do you assume it bothers me? I'm simply curious.

Edited by Tellakey

10 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Not worrying. Already chilled. I'm just curious. Thanks for interpreting my curiosity as criticism. I am insinuating no such thing as that the way people are grieving is uncalled for. Do me a favor. Let's not drag this thread into a S#&$storm.

How you word things, how you bring up things matters a lot, especially on the web. Your original post (before you edited it) could easily be mistaken as someone who was approaching this without empathy.

Sorry about the confusion.

1 minute ago, Tellakey said:

The reactions I see here, especially the ones from Reb and Megan, insinuate to me a closer relationship between TB and D.E. I guess I'm asking whether such a relationship existed or was it just a one-time thing?

Think of it like this:

You are working on a company that is going to be shut down if this next project doesnt take off, you lose your job, likely your livehood if you left your home country to live where you work, those people you have worked with for years and some you could call friends will be jobless as well, then here comes this guy and with seemly an insignificant video, helps put your company up. He wasnt the only one, no. But considering he was well known and famous, more attention came to your company, you go: Ok... we have a chance, things are still in the red, but it got noticeably better.

Then it was a snowball effect, you give your product to a publisher to.. well, publish (Steam). I know people who only buy games in Steam because they get all organized there. They wanted to get WF since this critic they trusted, but since it was only a stand alone, it went ignored. It comes to Steam... "Oh, now I will get it."

And so on.

If it was either gratitude or they actually came to know John Bain as a person... now THIS, only by asking Megan and Rebecca themselves you will get the answer since this will be something personal.

For me? On a professional level, I'm grateful for the help he gave to making this game known. On a personal level... the fact that he died of cancer, of all things, hit too close to home. I cant help but feel for him and his family.

19 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Think of it like this:

You are working on a company that is going to be shut down if this next project doesnt take off, you lose your job, likely your livehood if you left your home country to live where you work, those people you have worked with for years and some you could call friends will be jobless as well, then here comes this guy and with seemly an insignificant video, helps put your company up. He wasnt the only one, no. But considering he was well known and famous, more attention came to your company, you go: Ok... we have a chance, things are still in the red, but it got noticeably better.

Then it was a snowball effect, you give your product to a publisher to.. well, publish (Steam). I know people who only buy games in Steam because they get all organized there. They wanted to get WF since this critic they trusted, but since it was only a stand alone, it went ignored. It comes to Steam... "Oh, now I will get it."

And so on.

If it was either gratitude or they actually came to know John Bain as a person... now THIS, only by asking Megan and Rebecca themselves you will get the answer since this will be something personal.

For me? On a professional level, I'm grateful for the help he gave to making this game known. On a personal level... the fact that he died of cancer, of all things, hit too close to home. I cant help but feel for him and his family.

That's a stretch of an interpretation that even in case of being true wouldn't (in my opinion) bring them to tears. Welp, at least it's something, so thanks :)

And yeah, my guess is, there was a bigger relationship here than meets the eye. So oh well, I guess I'll never know.

14 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

That's a stretch of an interpretation that even in case of being true wouldn't (in my opinion) bring them to tears.

Exactly, its your opinion.

Its one of the cases where "You had to experience it" to truly know.

And in case of others, an idol of them just died. Michael Jackson died and so many cried. The only difference is that TB was a YT celebrity instead of a music one.

3 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Exactly, its your opinion.

Its one of the cases where "You had to experience it" to truly know.

And in case of others, an idol of them just died. Michael Jackson died and so many cried. The only difference is that TB was a YT celebrity instead of a music one.

Umm... I guess?

I honestly don't know their relationship with TB. If it is idolization this might explain it. There are just too many unknowns here. 

Oh well, I reckon people here simply care and that's that. Thanks for the polite chat :)

Edited by Tellakey

3 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

No because I dont bother much keeping my eye on such things. I know games have done it for devs, but for an outsider (which this actually is) I cant recall a single one.

I don't keep track of such things either, but I do happen to recall one.  Shortly after City of Heroes was released a player, who had been a very active and appreciated member of the community since pre-beta, passed away.  The devs created an NPC hero in his honor and made him a contact (mission giver) in the tutorial area, replacing the original NPC contact:  Coyote.

There's a player by the name of "Ureva_Exo" that's been dancing on TotalBiscuit's vigil on Larunda 2 a few hours ago. he was spamming "rHiNo DaNcE!" and flooding the relay chat with nonsense while other Tennos mourn. It really stuck me hard to see someone like him disrespecting what the Community has made to honor TotalBiscuit! his actions should be punished ;--;

6 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

IF there's going to be any ingame memorial...It needs to be in memory of ALL players who were lost to cancer or some other horrible illness. Not just one semi-famous player.

there's so much wrong in that, i get you guys didnt Know or even liked him, but he wasnt a semi-famous youtuber, ALL game devs and companies, gaming sites and magazines respected him, he was a great person in the gaming industry all around.  He again, as everybody said before but you dont read, he was the sole reason warframe didnt die.

14 hours ago, Mayahai said:

What makes TotalBiscuit so special?

Ow, he made interesting Youtube content.

I am sorry, but it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth that someone ''famous'' must die before we care about paying respect to the dead. Why not show some love and dedication to the person or people who are there for you, every day to support you? Why do we glorify some celebrity if we should glorify those who love us instead.

If you feel strong feelings about this particular celebrity, that is completely fine. Everyone was all running in tears when Michael Jackson passed away, but in the end, it are those standing next to you who matter the most. Give them some love while they live.

Theres nothing wrong about paying respect and honor to someone you liked, it doesnt mean you dont pay attention to your family and friends, in fact it makes you think even more about those near you. 90% of the posts against it looks just like salt.  I agree that ANYthing done to honor him needs to be done with ultmost care and respect for his family. 

But again its not because you dont like or dont know a person that said person doesnt need a memorial or anything to honor him. 

4 hours ago, Tellakey said:

Umm... I guess?

I honestly don't know their relationship with TB. If it is idolization this might explain it. There are just too many unknowns here. 

Oh well, I reckon people here simply care and that's that. Thanks for the polite chat :)

I guess it is hard to understand if you wasn't involved and it is hard to explain for me either, because I know I shouldn't care that much if he was just a game critic for me, but:

1. nobody should endure this,  

2. I also started playing Warframe because of TB review, so it is somehow connected. 

3. He was an important game critic and he will be missed 

4. many people lost someone close to them, so they don't wish that lost to anyone they know, so I really feel sorry for his wife, it has to be terrible. 

5. if anyone I know somehow like TB, who was such help for others, would die after such long fight, I would probably feel the same, so you don't have to feel like this is a theatre, because I don't think it is - he had big personality, he was one of a few who really didn't care what others think, always saying his honest opinion, you could really trust him, so I guess that personality will be missed. Many youtubers even if they are trying to be fair, you can see they have to cut off all the edges because they know it would be a problem, TB didn't do it and maybe that was the price he had to pay - the constant pressure for being controversial, and going against mainstream, big companies, but also against some not really nice players groups he started to disagree with, so now I wish more than ever TB would win his fight. Because so many players and devs in gaming industry, or generally people don't have really good character, there is always a big hole left after someone who have it.

I learned about Totalbiscuit because of warframe, and not the other way around.

But seeing how hugely influential he was in boosting this particular game's success releasing some small accessory like that leukemia awareness ribbon would make sense. So people can deliberately choose whether they want to honor the person.