Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

Oh, and uh... something CONSTRUCTIVE! that I've been thinking about for a few days:

The Cursor should be more "animated" in certain contexts.  Right now, it's ugly to have it center on a Menu button, like on the "Main" menu with the Arsenal and Codex and all that mess on there.

RECOMMENDATION:  Make the cursor "split" on Menu items and turn into a set of brackets that adhere to the edges of the Menu item "button".  Just make the diamond in the middle disappear and put the outer diamond's edges, split vertically in half, on the sides of the Menu item.

RECOMMENDATION:  When we hit Options or whatever to hit that Menu screen, start the cursor on/around the Navigation button.

RECOMMENDATION:  Less on the topic, the cursor in the Solar Map really ought to magnetize toward mission locations.

But I wonder if we really need that inner solid-color diamond in the cursor at all.  Whatever.  This is all still a pain in the ass.

35 minutes ago, (PS4)Hooligantuan said:

Oh, and uh... something CONSTRUCTIVE! that I've been thinking about for a few days:

The Cursor should be more "animated" in certain contexts.  Right now, it's ugly to have it center on a Menu button, like on the "Main" menu with the Arsenal and Codex and all that mess on there.

RECOMMENDATION:  Make the cursor "split" on Menu items and turn into a set of brackets that adhere to the edges of the Menu item "button".  Just make the diamond in the middle disappear and put the outer diamond's edges, split vertically in half, on the sides of the Menu item.

RECOMMENDATION:  When we hit Options or whatever to hit that Menu screen, start the cursor on/around the Navigation button.

RECOMMENDATION:  Less on the topic, the cursor in the Solar Map really ought to magnetize toward mission locations.

But I wonder if we really need that inner solid-color diamond in the cursor at all.  Whatever.  This is all still a pain in the ass.

I'm not sure how the first one would look but I'm firmly on board with the other two. 

In fact it would be great to have the cursor start on/around all the submenus as well. Yes just pressing the arrow takes you to it lickety split, but it is just one more button press that we shouldn't have to make, in an intuitive system. 

I think that the public/friends only/invite only matchmaking menu has this already, and it is a huge help. 

Wanna post something here I’ve noticed about the cursor (also posted it in the glitch forum).

-When playing relics, sometimes the cursor will /not/ allow you to choose your prize. I’m guessing it’s becasue I was sitting when the screen popped up, but I had been able to do that before he UI update. On the video below you can see the cursor highlighted the prizes, but would not let me choose, so I became stuck with my own prize. Really, really don’t want this to happen to me when I’m relic cracking for limbo prime. I could only afford one, which was the accessories and not the access. My new job pays bi weekly, and I just don’t have that much to afford both access and accessories anymore.

Is anyone else besides me frustrated with different buttons used to select your choice depending on the menu?  In some places it's X/A, in other places it's square/X, and still other places it's double or triple click.  DE, is it possible to return our select button back to what it was before the UI partial rollout?  Also, is it possible to make the selection action be consistent in the menus?  Also, since we console players are going nucking futs over having a M&K Ui, how much harder would it be to simply have a completely customizable controller map where we decide which keybinds do what?

Edited by (PS4)Firebrandd

On 2018-06-18 at 9:53 AM, TwoWolves said:

I thought that was my controller going on the fritz. Half the time, my Nezha will just up and use his fourth power out of nowhere, even though I never held R2 and pressed ∆!

Can't say that I have noticed this mixing of commands with my controllers in mission. Might want to try to use the controller in another game or swap controllers if you have a spare, just to confirm that it's not the controller. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (PS4)jaegerbombtastic said:

Wanna post something here I’ve noticed about the cursor (also posted it in the glitch forum).

-When playing relics, sometimes the cursor will /not/ allow you to choose your prize. I’m guessing it’s becasue I was sitting when the screen popped up, but I had been able to do that before he UI update. On the video below you can see the cursor highlighted the prizes, but would not let me choose, so I became stuck with my own prize. Really, really don’t want this to happen to me when I’m relic cracking for limbo prime. I could only afford one, which was the accessories and not the access. My new job pays bi weekly, and I just don’t have that much to afford both access and accessories anymore.

Had a different issue with a similar effect a while after the first hotfix. The cursor seemed to be affected by a strong drift to the right on reward selection. 

I can't remember how I managed to get to the reward I wanted (rare nekros part I think), May have been dpad, may have been bumpers I was probably desperately mashing anything I could, honestly. When I did manage to do it I pretty much froze and didn't touch anything until the timer ran down, before starting to breathe again. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Had a different issue with a similar effect a while after the first hotfix. The cursor seemed to be affected by a strong drift to the right on reward selection. 

I can't remember how I managed to get to the reward I wanted (rare nekros part I think), May have been dpad, may have been bumpers I was probably desperately mashing anything I could, honestly. When I did manage to do it I pretty much froze and didn't touch anything until the timer ran down, before starting to breathe again. 

I think I had that happen to me at a couple of relic missions too, now that I think of it. Kept zooming to the right on me without touch, but was able to keep it steady with the D-pad. Scary stuff when farming.

38 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Can't say that I have noticed this mixing of commands with my controllers in mission. Might want to try to use the controller in another game or swap controllers if you have a spare, just to confirm that it's not the controller. 

I've been watching for this, and I think you may be right, ol' chap. I read that once the battery starts going on the controllers, sometimes it causes weirdness because it's operating at less-than-optimal voltage or some rubbish. Honestly, why on earth would you design a controller whose batteries you can't replace, unless you did so purposely with the express aim of having repeat customers for your controllers that suffer from engineered-obsolescence? 

It is from my understanding that with this cursor update "Mouse and Keyboard" can be used on console.
I wasn't really planning on using it, but I really wanted to see the difference on Ps4, ense I connected my keyboard to it and gave it a go.

I'll skip on the feedback for the actual cursor as it's doing fairly decent for what it is, however I have encountered a large amount of omission that makes this cursor update completely useless whilst using Mouse and Keyboard on a Ps4:

• 1- You cannot even Login onto the game without using a controller.

The update verification menu ( Or the Launcher more precisely) is stalled at "{Press x to login}"
From my different attempt at "physically assaulting" my keyboard, I've figured that "[Controller Button Cross (X)]" is either [Spacebar] or [Left Mouse Click]
None of these actually connect to the prompt in order to login. ( And yes I did try every single hotkey on my keyboard in order to find which button does what )

• 2- It is in all ways impossible to begin a "Maro's bazaar" quest with the keyboard.

Opening the menu and [Mouse Clicking] or attempting to [Confirm with Square] does not connect to the mission prompt.
From my testing, I've figured that "[Controller Button Square]" is always going to be [Hotkey X] on the keyboard.
All combination of [Hotkey X] on the keyboard have given no result with connecting to the "Start Mission" prompt.

• 3- GearWheel Menu is impossible to interact with

Opening the GearWheel [Hotkey Q] is followed with no cursor.
This results in an impossibility to interact with your gear item or your selected emotes.

• 4- There exist no "Keyboard Binding" option in the setting menu.

It's impossible to change any of the Keybinding for keyboard
It's actually also impossible to figure out which button does what on the keyboard unless you Bash on every single key, which is mildly infuriating.

• 5- The action [Mouse Scrolling] is delayed and amplified in every actions.

Scrolling on things such as your inventory, warframe arsenal is delayed in actions and then amplified to fix itself
This results in the motion of 2 scroll not moving your "Inventory Selection Camera".
A third scroll will then forcefully amplify the two previous uncounted scrolls and send your inventory all the way to the bottom or all the way up depending on your last action.

• 6- Chat is impossible to use with keyboard.

There is no button prompt to "Open" the chat and begin talking.
I've tried every single button I could find on my keyboard, and just like issue #2 "[Controller Button Square]" is left unaffected or unattached to any other keyboard hotkey.
This makes it impossible to use the Chat in order to so something as basic as socializing or using the Unstuck command.
For precision : [Hotkey T] does open the "Chat", however it does not open the ability to textually engage.

I believe this is everything I've found.
As a reminder : This is the interaction of Mouse and Keyboard on a Ps4.
Good luck.

Edited by (PS4)XxDarkyanxX

It is poorly implemented, no doubt. I figure there has to be a coding reason why they couldn't just co-opt the UI from PC to console cleanly with as little disruption as possible to the controller functions themselves. Right now, I prefer a controller and keyboard, with controller as my priority and keyboard for chatting quickly in between missions.

Edited by TwoWolves
Clarity; other way was confusing as to intent.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)gamebo5000 said:

I agree with everyone the virtual cursor sucks. There is no logic behind it what so ever. Since the update has happened I am having trouble talking to and inviting players. Overall I rate this update as just plain bad.

It's a lot better than in the first hours of the update, and it's known there's still stuff to fix. And the logic behind this update has foundations on several arguments, namely the standartization of the PC and Console UI's as much as possible, allowing controller support for PC players, allowing Mouse and Keyboard support for console players and reducing the time in between the release of updates on PC and consoles, so we can get updates much faster. I know and I'm also adapting but it has become pretty manageable due to habit and DE's fixes. There's also a lot of stuff I dislike (see down for example) but the advantages on this update far outweigh the disadvantages. Hang in there, Tenno! 😉

(DE let me say here that I find annoying the fact that the player list selection in chat is very buggy, and I have to manually hover each player with the cursor as D-pad won't work on that. Just want to say this, but I don't know if someone already did)

There is no advantage in requiring MORE input devices in a game that previously worked perfectly fine with the standard input devices of their platform of choice.  I and many players like me will not go and buy a mouse, keyboard, and adapter just to play one title in our libraries.  I don't care how affordable they are at the gods-be-damned dollar store. I DO NOT WANT TO PURCHASE THE EXTRA DEVICES JUST TO PLAY THIS ONE GAME.  And I am quite sure many other console gamers feel the same way.  I know there are plenty of other console games that support M&K, but how many of them successfully kept their players when they switched to new inputs YEARS after launch? Before the update, the UI was like driving a car. Couple inefficiencies, but nothing dire. Now it feels like trying to ride a bicycle with two flat tires on bent rims.

Edited by (PS4)Firebrandd

I find it good that they want to improve that part of the game, however is very much slower and tiring since you can close or do anything unless you use the cursor, is there an option to go back and no use the cursor?  For my this change can mean leave the game since I feeling very frustrated. 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

There is no advantage in requiring MORE input devices in a game that previously worked perfectly fine with the standard input devices of their platform of choice.  I and many players like me will not go and buy a mouse, keyboard, and adapter just to play one title in our libraries.  I don't care how affordable they are at the gods-be-damned dollar store. I DO NOT WANT TO PURCHASE THE EXTRA DEVICES JUST TO PLAY THIS ONE GAME.  And I am quite sure many other console gamers feel the same way.  I know there are plenty of other console games that support M&K, but how many of them successfully kept their players when they switched to new inputs YEARS after launch? Before the update, the UI was like driving a car. Couple inefficiencies, but nothing dire. Now it feels like trying to ride a bicycle with two flat tires on bent rims.

Sigh. 

I only use one input device with my ps4, and that's the controller. Nothing I've done requires the use of more controllers. I have not had to buy any additional devices to make the game work, in fact just a few posts above you can see that the addition of a mouse and keyboard is not an optimal solution. All of those points are invalid and seriously behind the curve on this thread. Like, seriously behind. 

The last point about the UI being really clunky right now and not working well is valid, but it was the basis of the very first post of the thread and I would guess that it appears at least once per page. Everyone agrees with that part. Yay. Can you give any specific idea of what isn't working for you and maybe suggest what you figure might be done to make it better? 

That gives them something that they can fix or improve on, instead of what you just did. 

Like:

When I open a submenu, the cursor is often nowhere near to where I need to be to click the next option (try redecoration of the orbiter for an example). Pressing the relevant direction button will snap to the menu, but it would probably be better if the cursor got snapped/pulled to the menu when it opened (like it does when choosing matchmaking options). 

2 hours ago, (PS4)coorneto said:

I find it good that they want to improve that part of the game, however is very much slower and tiring since you can close or do anything unless you use the cursor, is there an option to go back and no use the cursor?  For my this change can mean leave the game since I feeling very frustrated. 

Thanks 

Not yet. Try using the buttons with the arrows to get around. Sometimes they help. Also going to options and changing the speed of the cursor might help. 

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 11:37 PM, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Sorry mate, I figured that you seemed to be in a bit of a rush to get what you wanted. If you weren't you might have enlightened yourself by reading the replies from DE staff dealing with the issue. You might even have read the responses from others that explain why they might have trouble rolling back the update or creating a simple toggle. I was under the impression that the main reason for the thread spinning round and round was people's apparent inability to actually pay attention for more than a couple of minutes and general unwillingness to actually read stuff in the thread they were responding to. 

I apologise whole heartedly for offering you the result of my having replied with obvious answers to your post. I understand now that you didn't want to do any of that, and would rather wait for a response. Of course, I see now, that means that you must be a very patient person and waiting months, years or even decades for what you are demanding will be a trivial matter to one of your very unusual temperament. 

Hope you have a good one. 🙂

A great portion of this thread is filled with people speculating on why DE does or doesn't do something. Rather than filling this thread with this "fluff", keep it on track. Add feedback, or in the case of many... Complaints and questions to DE. Are they (DE) too good to chime in on this thread? Why would they need to when people are answering their questions for them? 

3 hours ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

Don't you get it yet? 

The reason they are reworking the UI, so it seems, is so they can shove a more complicated combat system down our throats whether we want it or not. Yes, it's all fine and dandy that DE said that they are moving towards a common ground UI between consoles and PCs, but I gotta believe that had they not had the "brilliant" idea of reworking the melee to satisfy the few malcontents who min-max their characters and try to squeeze every tenth of a point of damage out of them, DE might never have thought it was a good idea to rework the UI. They need more "button space," so to speak, to have more options for crazy melee combos. That's primarily why I believe they're reworking the UI. Everything else is secondary, it seems.

By the way, this isn't fact, this is merely conjecture at this point, but I'd say conjecture with pretty strong grounds for validity. I eschew the keyboard for all things except chat. I use the controller primarily, and never the mouse. So this isn't about controller-versus-keyboard and mouse.

Edited by TwoWolves

Not sure if this is brought up yet but the UI breaks on ps4 when your in the chat box you can't select anything in the chat window... which is well annoying. It also has a tendency to break when modding frames and weapons. Also the pyrana prime glitches in somebody games where it will not reload when it hits zero it instead swaps weapons plz fix DE

16 minutes ago, (XB1)psyops6 said:

A great portion of this thread is filled with people speculating on why DE does or doesn't do something. Rather than filling this thread with this "fluff", keep it on track. Add feedback, or in the case of many... Complaints and questions to DE. Are they (DE) too good to chime in on this thread? Why would they need to when people are answering their questions for them? 

Because some folks seem to either ignore the comments they made or are unwilling to read them, and unable to comprehend what was written? Which are you? 

Of course, I agree with you, responding to your post should be very high on their priorities, and I hope they get around to it....... Right after they finish fixing the issues with the game. 🙂

Since we already established that you have the patience to make Saints look like hyperactive kids after a chocolate binge, I'm sure that you will have no problem with the wait for the response. 

So after using the cursor since it was implemented, I have a few more thoughts on how it could be improved! 

+Better cursor speed dynamic! The cursor is slow for use on console, even with a slider to adjust speed. It needs a better threshold to increase in speed over large areas while maintaining a slower speed in areas with lots of options! The issue is glaring for consoles because (as previously stated by multiple Tenno, ad nauseam) we don't use a mouse! It could be solved by making the cursor faster over areas with no selectable items and slower when over those items.

-The threshold for the speed of the cursor increasing with the length of the stick being held works, but it works against console users because when items are just far enough away to make the cursor speed increase, the item is often glossed over by the cursor and it complicates ease of use. Again, having the threshold for increase in speed be determined by whether the cursor is over selectable items would solve the problem. 

-The cursor also sticks too much over selectable options and makes it more difficult to scroll through lists. Although this is a different issue than overall dynamic cursor speeds, it frustrates the player when looking at inventories that have items extending beyond one page. 

-The current method of increase in speed as stick is held and sticky reticule over selectable items is a bandaid for now. 

+UI selection buttons should be the same across the board. I shouldn't have to double-click one option using the A button and then goes to a screen to select something and use the X button. 

-Double clicking is fine, but should be implemented across the board for selecting and equipping if this is the intended goal. 

-Using 2 separate buttons to select and then equip is odd. I can understand having a different button to preview an item as opposed to selecting it, but if something like double-clicking is now in the game, it should be used instead of using another method to select and equip. 

-An example is the Arcane selection screen when compared to the Warframe selection menu. I can preview a Warframe's appearance on the menu by pressing X and then or I can press A to select it. Arcanes have a different method in that I have to select them using A to preview them, and then I select them by pressing A again to equip. It would be much less complicated if I could just use A to preview and then press A again to select across all menus! 

Another 2 cents in the machine! 

Edited by (XB1)ZenithLord 42
Bandaids

2 hours ago, TwoWolves said:

Don't you get it yet? 

The reason they are reworking the UI, so it seems, is so they can shove a more complicated combat system down our throats whether we want it or not. Yes, it's all fine and dandy that DE said that they are moving towards a common ground UI between consoles and PCs, but I gotta believe that had they not had the "brilliant" idea of reworking the melee to satisfy the few malcontents who min-max their characters and try to squeeze every tenth of a point of damage out of them, DE might never have thought it was a good idea to rework the UI. They need more "button space," so to speak, to have more options for crazy melee combos. That's primarily why I believe they're reworking the UI. Everything else is secondary, it seems.

By the way, this isn't fact, this is merely conjecture at this point, but I'd say conjecture with pretty strong grounds for validity. I eschew the keyboard for all things except chat. I use the controller primarily, and never the mouse. So this isn't about controller-versus-keyboard and mouse.

To be fair though, DE hasn't even optimized the controller mapping options yet. I mean console players often have to merge reload and interact into a single button and DE still hasn't made this a tap/hold option to prevent accidental reloads. And if you are anywhere near a wire you might as well just accept the fact that you can't do anything except jump up to the wire.

Similarly, DE has prevented certain commands from being mapped to certain buttons; this is especially important regarding the DS4's touchpad. Then there is the option to make alt fire a toggle all of the time as the euphona prime is awful to use with a controller unless you gimp either melee or jump by moving it off R3. Then there is the lack of mapping for archwing...,  yeah, DE spent 5 years not understanding what players using a controller needed as options to play their own game.

The keyboard and mouse bias from DE is HUGE and this update just solidifies the notion that they remain inept regarding controllers as a primary input device.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph
  • Like 1

Still nothing works for me...the Cursor does not work for me at all!!!
The X Button and D-Pad still do not work in chat menu, I cant click peoples names or do anything anymore in the Menus

All I really do is trade when my friends are not on and Now I cant message anyone without the Chat freezing and having to just quit the app.

PLEASE REMOVE CURSORS...Nothing is working right anymore. L1 R1 D-Pad X Button NOTHING