The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What happened to the proto gun skins that were to be part of the whole Relay rebuilding situation?

Lakais

On 2018-09-23 at 3:14 PM, Fishyflakes said:

Glad they dropped it.

They really don't belong in the game at all.

neither does a revolver like akvasto, but at least those 2 are just skins, why can't we get some good skins like that? specially that bronco skin that looks amazing

There seems to be a lot of falsely equating a weapon type or theme, with actual recognisable weapons.

For instance:

12 minutes ago, Vasault said:

neither does a revolver like akvasto, but at least those 2 are just skins, why can't we get some good skins like that? specially that bronco skin that looks amazing

Vasto is just "a revolver", no different than "an assault rifle" or "a sniper rifle", other than that it's entirely designed to fit the aesthetics of Warframe

That pistol skin is literally an H&K MK23, a recognisable contemporary firearm from a specific manufacturer.

On 2018-09-23 at 11:16 AM, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Considering what they're based on, they belong more than you think. 

Glad someone brought this up, because considering what they're based on is probably what got them delayed/scrapped. I don't think dE own darkSector in its entirety. Even if they do, I know they own the Mk23 that they licensed for darkSector

Edited by TARINunit9

On 2018-09-24 at 1:16 AM, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Considering what they're based on, they belong more than you think. That said, I recall they said they wanted to reward them through an event. Guess they haven't made the proper event yet they wanted to give them out in.

Sure they came from dsrk sector, but it's not like those are original designs, just straight up actual (similar) guns. I really can't see trinity carrying a 2000ish handgun.

2 hours ago, Alcatraz said:

Considering it was never mentioned what the skins were for other than the 2 previewed, you can't be sure of that.

I'm reasonably certain that they said 5 weapon skins. At the time, Volt Proto was still known as Volt's Deluxe skin.

13 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Glad someone brought this up, because considering what they're based on is probably what got them delayed/scrapped. I don't think dE own darkSector in its entirety. Even if they do, I don't know they own the Mk23 that they liscenced for darkSector

I'm not so sure about all of that. I mean as far as I know, even with the insanity of international copywrite laws, technically there's nothing stopping anyone from using the likeness of a firearm in a game. Sure there have been cases where licenses have been rented or bought, but those cases are a rarity and most times a marketing thing rather then a necessary legal settlement. I doubt the makers of games like Warface pay or even notify any international arms manufacturer about the blatant visual copy of their firearm and any legal backlash is nullified by simply giving the gun a made up name or in case with other games that do use factual (or close to) names, completely omitting any mention of the manufacturer or brand (as that can be interpreted as using someone else's trademark) 

I get that there might be an issue if DE makes money off the direct likeness but if these skins are to be given out as rewards in an event (thus no monetary transaction is made) that argument too loses power. 

Basically, DE could put an M4 right out of CoD into the game, call it the N5 and legally there wouldn't be anything wrong with it. Though going by the thread so far, the community would spontaneously burst into flames. 

Every thread about those prototype weapon skins has been kinda the same up till now:

• Some are against it, saying they dont fit the game or lore and are adamantly against them being added to keep warframes arsenal "warframey"
  • Some will point out candy cane scythes, moustaches, rabbit ears, pumpkin heads, and the lex pistol which is visually almost a regular semi automatic pistol.
  • Some will mention there are plenty of sci fi weapons, but so little to none normal looking weapons, why would anyone be against having more skins and options to toy around in a game about customization - and to simply not use them if they dislike said skins
  • Talks ensues about license and names - and I actually think thats also the meat of the delay, seeing as the pistol model (tekna 9mm) is missing the LAM under the barrel.

Personally:

• Hope they will release those skins (especially tekna9mm, korbov tk6 and vx carbine) someday but nobody should wish for DE to be in a legal case because of simple weapon skins. Don't mind them warping or changing those skins a little to avoid troubles.
  • If those skins do get released, hope those against proto skins don't quit warframe because they feel visually or otherwise offended about a barely noticable weapon skin on a fellow tenno. Because that would be sad ... On several levels.

14 hours ago, Lakais said:

I get that there might be an issue if DE makes money off the direct likeness but if these skins are to be given out as rewards in an event (thus no monetary transaction is made) that argument too loses power. 

Not really, given that promotional events -- even free-to-participate ones -- are known and proven money-maker tactics

3 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

i dont get why people are saying that the skins "dont fit warframe"...its SUPPOSED to be a proto skin. Thats the point. 

The thing is, all the proto skins available so far were straight up designed to fit Warframe, whether they were originally from Dark Sector or not. Half of Dark Sector (the important half, anyways) was supposed to be Warframe in the first place. The other half was generic modern warfare stuff forced in by producers. These skins fall into the latter category.

43 minutes ago, rapt0rman said:

The thing is, all the proto skins available so far were straight up designed to fit Warframe, whether they were originally from Dark Sector or not. Half of Dark Sector (the important half, anyways) was supposed to be Warframe in the first place. The other half was generic modern warfare stuff forced in by producers. These skins fall into the latter category.

It's still just a skin. It's doesn't have to fit the current theme

• 3 years later...
On 2018-09-23 at 1:14 PM, Fishyflakes said:

Glad they dropped it.

They really don't belong in the game at all.

But candy cane scythes, sleigh bells fist, angel wings, demon wings, super soakers, water gun fights and moustaches do? Seems like a double standard. 

And honestly if these were added, what's really going to happen how many times do you really look at another person's guns in game? People need to stop pretending warframe is super serious all the time, now im going to give a relay blessing in my all pink grendal that i named kirboid

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

a rise the sleeping forum, time to ask question again.  WHERE DA HELL THESE SKIN GUNS GO DE?  It been, what 4 years?  Common Dev, spit the skin gun out.

A necro for something not even 5% of the playbase will use?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -Krism- said:

A necro for something not even 5% of the playbase will use?

5% of yesterday's peak CCU on Steam alone would be 4,376 people. And that's just the peak on only one platform. A necro for something well over four thousand people might use? Sounds fair to me.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

5% of yesterday's peak CCU on Steam alone would be 4,376 people. And that's just the peak on only one platform. A necro for something well over four thousand people might use? Sounds fair to me.

It's been years & there hasn't been any news since then, DE doesn't want to waste dev time on something 95% of the active playerbase won't use, it would be a waste of money

10 minutes ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

And yet conclave is still up and that's not used by 99.999% of players

We get it, you're bad at Conclave and you can never forgive it for the crime of putting a mirror in front of you. 

It's perfectly fine to be bad at shooters, but it's not fine for someone to hold a grudge against a videogame mode for so long. Let it go. For your own sake. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, -Krism- said:

It's been years & there hasn't been any news since then, DE doesn't want to waste dev time on something 95% of the active playerbase won't use, it would be a waste of money

Like K-Drives, Shawzins, Conclave, and Pablo's recent hint at a farming system? DE wastes dev time on things 95% of the active playerbase won't use all the time. Plus, they've already wasted this dev time making the models for these items years ago. The time's already been spent.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BansheeAndZephyrMarried said:

We get it, you're bad at Conclave and you can never forgive it for the crime of putting a mirror in front of you. 

It's perfectly fine to be bad at shooters, but it's not fine for someone to hold a grudge against a videogame mode for so long. Let it go. For your own sake. 

And the bait was taken. Gotta love that they can never back up the mode isn't dead instead have to go to a what aboutism arguement about player skill. Like how does that have to do with the mode being dead? They have to change the subject cause they can't prove the mode isn't dead.

it really only takes a single look to know why they were scrapped. it's just so bizarrely out of place even compared to the least stylized weapons in the game to see a random real-world pistol in the hands of a warframe, like it's a half-assed photoshop for a deep-fried meme with the caption "DE🤝partnership🤝with🤝glock????? 😳😳😳"

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

And the bait was taken. Gotta love that they can never back up the mode isn't dead instead have to go to a what aboutism arguement about player skill. Like how does that have to do with the mode being dead? They have to change the subject cause they can't prove the mode isn't dead.

my brother in christ, you are literally the one that brought it up, as if the CoNcLaVe DeD xD horse wasn't already pulverized into lasagna

• Like 5