Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm slightly dissapointed with Jupiter's tileset rework...

SnU4uCghkY

It seemed very likely that DE will go with mainstream/modern/simple approach and remove those old fasioned "secrets"/environment riddles, and unless I'm missing something (very unlucky generator roll) it has regretfully happened 😕 I really hope it won't become a standard practice.

At least, secret paths I encountered were mostly blocked glas cellings, which I guess is a proper and somehow poetic way to take away opportunities 😛

15 minutes ago, SnU4uCghkY said:

It seemed very likely that DE will go with mainstream/modern/simple approach and remove those old fasioned "secrets"/environment riddles, and unless I'm missing something (very unlucky generator roll) it has regretfully happened 😕 I really hope it won't become a standard practice.

At least, secret paths I encountered were mostly blocked glas cellings, which I guess is a proper and somehow poetic way to take away opportunities 😛

It's.....not......even.....out. what's with people giving feedback and impressions on stuff that hasn't been released? We've seen a total of 3(maybe 4) rooms reworked from devstream really hard tobtell what the whole tile set looks like from that.

They've talked about parkour-based rooms and lore that accompanies the new tileset. Taking into account the exploration-based things like cephalon fragments, somachord fragments, thousand-year fish, and more, it's very likely that the Gas City tileset rework, when it does come out, will have many secrets for you to explore and find.

Aside from the fact it hasn't happened yet, they can't really add secret passages between tiles due to the Tileset system. Rooms are randomly arranged, so they have to stick to pre-set connections in the form of doors. Connecting one tile to another tile several tiles away would be extremely complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have run few missions on it a couple of times, and while most of the tilset seem untouched, design of few of room types have changed.
For example instead of not immediately obvious second level with some lockers and exits, there is a nice atrium style glass celing showing the jupiterian sky.

Of course, rather than part of the tilset being updated (in a fashion devs have been discussing) it may be that until now I have been constantly running into those rooms variant A, and now coincidentally I am running into variant B (no problem with that, more diverse tilset make a more natural impression).
However in case that have been replacement rather than addition - then this is not a direction I would be happy about...

Ps. Tilset is not set in stone, changing something like that can be done in via a sub megabyte patch - and it is something done very frequently in games.
People rush through the content, less than X% even notice it is there, and most of those who notice ignore it anyway ~ so standard industry quote is in such cases "why create and maintain content most of your players will not ever see". Not to mention (slight but still present) performance improvements resulting from less stuff being there. Seen it kill a bunch of good titles already. Turned them into "corridorized", "PEGI7-ized" friendly dum mush...

Edited by SnU4uCghkY
Linguistic

4 minutes ago, SnU4uCghkY said:

I have run few missions on it a couple of times, and while most of the tilset seem untouched, design of few of room types have changed.
For example instead of not immediately obvious second level with some lockers and exits, there is a nice atrium style glass celing showing the jupiterian sky.

Of course, rather than part of the tilset being updated (in a fashion devs have been discussing) it may be that until now I have been constantly running into those rooms variant A, and now coincidentally I am running into variant B (no problem with that, more diverse tilset make a more natural impression).
However in case that have been replacement rather than addition - then this is not a direction I would be happy about...

Ps. Tilset is not set in stone, changing something like that can be done in via a sub megabyte patch - and it is something done very frequently in games.
People rush through the content, less than X% even notice it is there, and most of those who notice ignore it anyway ~ so standard industry quote is in such cases "why create and maintain content most of your players will not ever see". Not to mention (slight but still present) performance improvements resulting from less stuff being there. Seen it kill a bunch of good titles already. Turned them into "corridorized", "PEGI7-ized" friendly dum mush...

its not even out lol

I think OP is right in that they may have, due to RNG, been encountering one variant of some rooms.  Seeing other variations, some of which can be quite rare, led to the believe the tileset had been reworked  As others have said, the rework hasn't happened yet, what I've seen so far looks great though.

I see zero reason as to why they are even bothering with Jupiter.

What's next? The 3rd earth revisited? (and yes they reworked earth 2 times before)

Meanwhile we got Neptune, Venus and Pluto being forced to share the same tileset, and not only that, but neptune and pluto being in near identical level ranges of each other so no one ever goes to neptune tiles because pluto is just slightly higher and therefore more rewarding so nodes like Laomedeia get neglected in favour of Oceanum.

@Kyoresh
"its not even out lol"

Game devs often include small patches prior release, to set up new and old patch's common elements, and avoid risk of running into "two sides of tunnel being build did not met in the middle" scenario.

Still, after doing some research online and running bunch of touristic-solo missions finally was able to find it 😄 (btw. can you take screenshot without external program?)
Maybe room's spawn ratio change based on the mission type - switched from laptop recently, so alonside graphica improvements :D , have been running more hardware demanding game modes I was lagging behind earlier.

I guess I got slightly paranoid after WoW's Panda-Pokemon betreyal. Well, lets keep fingers crossed for the actual update then ☺️

On 2018-11-27 at 9:50 PM, SnU4uCghkY said:

"Most" of the tileset "seems" untouched because it is untouched because the rework is really not out yet.

You having found a couple of random assets that seemed unfamiliar changes nothing.

8 minutes ago, SnU4uCghkY said:

btw. can you take screenshot without external program?

Press F6.