Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should DE fix old content at the risk of Content Drought 2019 or continue creating new content ignoring old ones?

NaoEthelia

They do both and they don't have a choice. This doesn't need yet another thread to discuss something that is entirely out of the players' hands. There's no debate to be had.

DE is going to continue to do what it has always done and work on new content while fixing old content and doing things like tile revamps to add a bit of new life into older content.

What new perspective is to be gained here? DE is actually not doing what the devs know for an absolute fact needs to be done and we, the players, somehow know their business better than them?

Considering most 'new content' has been effectively abandoned with issues and bugs remaining, I'd much rather have zero 'new development' for an entire year in favour of finally fixing the trail of mess left behind.

Arbitration still sucks and will screw you out of rewards.

Sanctuary Onslaught will lag out, fail to spawn enemies at any kind of usable pace, and will even outright deny rewards by not updating with the rotations.

Eidolons are still bugged to hell and an absolute chore to fight with lousy tunnel-vision team compositions.

The Sargent is still a boss despite all the things Nef Anyo is now involved in?

Archwing still lacks meaningful variety, has awful drop systems and overall is just clunkier than ever.

Rivens still end up with some truly awful veils that don't even match up with similar things like in Fortuna. (Looking at 'target takes no damage' including shield damage for veil, but not for bounty target)

No more open worlds, no more game modes to grind and forget about. Just flat out fix what is broken.

4 minutes ago, Jokie155 said:

Considering most 'new content' has been effectively abandoned with issues and bugs remaining, I'd much rather have zero 'new development' for an entire year in favour of finally fixing the trail of mess left behind.

Sanctuary Onslaught will lag out, fail to spawn enemies at any kind of usable pace, and will even outright deny rewards by not updating with the rotations.

Eidolons are still bugged to hell and an absolute chore to fight with lousy tunnel-vision team compositions.

Archwing still lacks meaningful variety, has awful drop systems and overall is just clunkier than ever.

Rivens still end up with some truly awful veils that don't even match up with similar things like in Fortuna. (Looking at 'target takes no damage' including shield damage for veil, but not for bounty target)

No more open worlds, no more game modes to grind and forget about. Just flat out fix what is broken.

At the risk of content drought, though? We've already seen the content drought caused by revisiting old contents. Would you be okay with that?

Edited by NaoEthelia

2 minutes ago, Jokie155 said:

You must be fun at parties.

I'm pretty sad because there's a lot of old content that I really want DE tor revisit and actually make them functional at least. Like Rathuum, there're so many bugs there that it drives me nuts that DE would just leave it to rot like that, i know it's not anything crazy but i thoroughly enjoy playing it from time to time, it's a shame. 

21 minutes ago, moostar95 said:

Why not both  🙂

As the saying goes, chase both bunnies and you lose both. DE already chased after fixing old content and developing new content both and unfortunately, Content Drought 2018 was the result of that. 

Edited by NaoEthelia

19 minutes ago, (PS4)RedChili69 said:

You ask this as if they cannot do more than one of these at the same time. There is a reason why game developers have teams that work on specific things (and yes, sometimes people will have to float from one team to the next if needed).

They can't, and we already experience the consequence of this in the form of Content Drought 2018. That's why I ask this.

personally I'd be fine with them turning around next devstream and saying "we're gonna focus on fixing some core mechanics before the next major update". people screaming "muh content drought" are just gonna have to suck eggs, because a lot of people (often the same as the ones screaming "muh content drought, funnily enough") are desperate to see some revision of things like armour scaling, and reworking some of the old bosses, archwing controls and retroactively adding some of Fortuna's better qualities to the Plains so that both open worlds are properly accessible and less grindy. improving Rathhum, Index, Arbitrations, Sorties, rewards in general..  there's plenty more besides, but I'm not gonna list them all, we'd be here all day.

chances are they're just going to keep doing what they're doing, focusing on new content. I'm all for new content, and it brings in the dough, but reworking some of the older stuff is it's own reward, and will keep players that have been here for years playing. DE can probably more than make up the numbers of fleeing vets with new players, so it wouldn't hurt their bottom line to keep doing what they're doing, but I'd argue that isn't really right or fair to people that have been here a while. DE have probably sat down and thought about this themselves, I just hope they've got a plan.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb NaoEthelia:

At the risk of content drought, though? We've already seen the content drought caused by revisiting old contents. Would you be okay with that?

Revisting old content and updating it is not = Content Drought

If they work at old things, improve them and make them worthwhile, that can be considered new content aswell, because we end up playing something we abandoned before.

If they work on Fortuna and the Plains now, improve them, make tweaks and add little (and maybe bigger) stuff that is not new to the game but still new for the OpenWorlds, i would consider that "reworking old Content", but that wouldnt mean we dont get new Content. In fact, it might make us play the Plains again for example, and if a player wants to play something again because he enjoys it, that has the same effect as adding a whole new OpenWorld for example.

If you want to know what i mean, i made a topic in the Feedbacksection about what can be done with the 2 existing OpenWorlds. Most of the suggestions i made will take much less developing-ressources than building a whole new OpenWorld from the scratch, but it would hopefully create longlasting content that players enjoy. If you are interested, check this topic in the spoiler and feel free to add ideas, but warning, it is some text in there 😛

Spoiler

Edited by DreisterDino

vor 13 Minuten schrieb (XB1)Cubic Clem:

I would like that.. and still support prime accessories.. but sadly most people want new stuff and don't look back..

but i think we might mix up cause and effect in this case...

Maybe players not looking back is not the reason that old stuff doesnt get revisited.

I think its just the result of Content that we have to play over and over again until a certain item with a crazy low dropchance drops (Khora...) and when we got that item, we are just happy that we dont "have to play it anymore" while the content itself isnt providing enough fun on its own to be played over and over again.

Edit: to stick with Onslaught, i think people would gladly go back to that gamemode after they got everything if the gamemode itself is more fun (and if they add something new to the droptable)

Edited by DreisterDino

Just thinking back to when Parkour got updated, it basically flipped gameplay around and gave us a whole new thing to master and play around with, jumping through whatever missions just to test it out.
Made the game feel different, basic gameplay got a lot more fun.

I'm sure there's a way they could finagle it to have their cake and eat it too.

Doing both, fixing existing content and working on new one, would be the most optimal solution.

2 hours ago, NaoEthelia said:

Counterquestion: what did DE revisit this year? So far only some weapons and Frames. Thats it! Yes, they are working on melee 3.0, however it does not require this massive change they are opting for, just some mod and stat changes could work. Furthermore, biggest problem with melee is and will remain after the rework - AoE.

So in conclusion, this "contnt drought" is not caused because DE revisits old stuff, but because they horrible manage their resources and work on too big projects for themselves.

Edited by ShortCat

Content Drought keeps getting tossed around but I haven't seen it really.

The title "Content Drought" is actually dead wrong. The correct phrase that folks are loathe to put into words is:

"I've burned myself out by dedicating my every waking hour to Warframe."

I have seen updates roll out at a slower pace, but I've also seen these updates become more polished, less bug ridden (still buggy but not as severe), and the game become significantly more streamlined, overall a better experience.

The bulk of 2018 as the devs even stated would be split between new content (cinematic & open world), new modes, & a revision of weapons. With melee getting a bigger focus due to the current system of it being full of mechanics that don't get used and never will get used.

The extreme majority of melee combos don't see the light of day, leave the players WIDE open with uncancelable animations, and simply don't do enough damage for the effort it takes to pull them off.

If DE goes back & reworks old content then it is in fact "New Content".

If they remake the starting Tutorial so that it actually teaches players the game & not the bare bones mechanics then that is indeed new content.

If they make each planet/location have unique tilesets that fit both the location, lore, & theme of the location then that is new content.

However as I stated at the start...the vocal minority is experiencing the same issue that every persistent online game has...

"Lack of Endgame Content" is another narrative that gets spun around this but to put it better: "Veteran Content Stagnation" is the true name.

Veteran players in all games are near impossible to please. They have the best of the best gear, loadouts, skills, & knowledge.

All content to them is "Been there. Done that." They see the mechanics behind each mode.

Elite Onslaught was a literal answer to vet complaints but once the rewards were obtained folks grew to resent it & see it as an inferior Survival mode.

Arbitrations are just sorties with harsher mechanics & unforgiving difficulty. Once again a request being granted. But once the rewards were obtained they became "annoying"

Even if DE released 4 Open World maps with atleast 10hrs of cinematic story per world, added 100 weapons, & 5 new frames at the same time. The content would be beaten & maxed in about 1 to 2 weeks time.

Then Veterans would return to calling the game in a drought & devoid of content.

Fact is...Veterans chew through content too fast, and are their own worst enemy. They all rush to clear, & master new content as soon as possible. To max reputation as soon as possible, and get content on farm as soon as possible. They do all this while forgetting to stop, smell the flowers, & most importantly...enjoy themselves.

Then they complain once they've succeeded in all that.

Hell, there were people who took days (some a week) off work for Fortuna....and now they are upset they have nothing to do. Well...no offense but DE didn't plan on you (those people) to literally live in the game for an entire week straight.

My point? Veterans are burnt out and in absolute denial of it.

2018 had big updates that were spread out at a good pace; about every 3 months (a quarter) we experienced a large update, with smaller updates filling the gaps.

There never really has been a true drought. Just an epidemic of Player Burnout.

Edited by (PS4)Zero_029
Fixed missing quote... *facepalms*

1 hour ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Content Drought keeps getting tossed around but I haven't seen it really.

The title "Content Drought" is actually dead wrong. The correct phrase that folks are loathe to put into words is: "

"I've laser focused through the content, not taking my time and burning myself out in the process"

FTFY.