Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ubisoft's Avatar movie game was literally the prototype for Warframe

(NSW)Thace

So I stumbled on this YouTube video of a guy reviewing the 2009 game of the movie Avatar by James Cameron. Watch it and tell me what it reminds you of!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JuOH1wEh0

If you watch through it, you'll notice some bizarre and uncanny similarities to Warframe, almost like this was a crappy bootleg or prototype. Seriously, the second I saw the combat I thought it was early Warframe! 

First thing I noticed was the HUD and gameplay. The mini map, menu screens, abilities, XP indicators, enemy damage and directional damage indicators, 3rd person view and camera movement, aiming, movement animations, lens flairs, double swords, double pistols, bow and arrow, bo staff, giant warhammer with ground slam abilities and directional striking, planetary level select, objective pop ups, MMO quests and level design, environmental loot, invisibility ability, a simpler but similar leveling system, Kubrow looking things, 

The forest on Pandora looks just like the tiles on Earth. The human marine base looks just like Corpus tiles. The marines look like Grineer. The Avatars look like Warframes (literally one looks like Rhino and another looks just like Volt) and even the music sounds so similar!

I found this super interesting and I wonder if there is any reason for the similarities. Maybe just a coincidence, maybe it was inspiration for Digital Extremes. What do you think? 

Edited by (NSW)Thace
Added clarity to Title

Yeah but how similar the avatar game looks compared to Waframes gameplay, its insane how similar it is, even to the way the player moves when he's firing weapons behind while running. 

Avatar came out in 2009 and Waframe in 2013 as I'm sure you know. I know DE had piles of concept art and designs from way back in 2001, but still, this is crazy. 

ngrazer they didn't show very much back then though, it was a super rough version of what we know today. I started playing Warframe in 2014 and as far as I know the Earth missions and Corpus ships weren't revealed untill the 2013 release.  

As in DE theoretically could have designed the Earth forest tiles and Corpus tiles after playing Avatar in 2009. Dark Sector came out in 2008 so they totally had time to redesign things. I have nothing but mad respect for DE, but I just find the similarities uncanny.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

I watched the video a bit and other than a few gameplay similarities I can't say they look alike at all when compared to the older versions of warframe. Maybe there was some inspiration taken from it though because Avatar was a huge deal back then.

Yeah I mean overall they aren't the exact same, but I really noticed it during the shooting gameplay. its just something about the way it moves. There are just a lot of aesthetic and mechanical similarities that my brain noticed lol 

2 minutes ago, kyori said:

pocahontas, avatar, fortuna all the same... which reflects last time americans driving out the native red indians and claim their land?

Yeah you have space Indians and space ninja themes. Next we need a space pirate game. 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)lagrue said:

Looks more like your generic 3rd person shooter than it does like Warframe.  

I also feel that.

The similitudes are limited to "you're a biped running around a landscape and sometimes you can shoot and sometimes you can try to club things to death". Hardly a rare concept.

8 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

I also feel that.

The similitudes are limited to "you're a biped running around a landscape and sometimes you can shoot and sometimes you can try to club things to death". Hardly a rare concept.

Yeah but with the space creature shooting space marines in a forest with tons of lens flair I had flashbacks of starting Warframe for the first time. Also Avatar was a rushed Ubisoft game that wasn't finished when it launched and had very clear signs of ambitious assets that weren't refined probably due to time constraints, so its unlikely DE had this in their list of inspirations.  Though they did say they looked at pretty much every game ever and picked the best aspects they liked, so I guess theres a small chance one of them played Avatar with the nephew during thanksgiving and subconsciously used some of the designs. Then again, nothing new or original under the sun. 

18 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Elite: Dangerous?

Or if you're looking for something within Warframe, just wait for Railjack next year.

Railjack looks sick, and rather than Elite I'm far more excited to play Star Citizen when it finally releases in half a century.

13 minutes ago, (NSW)Thace said:

Yeah but with the space creature shooting space marines in a forest with tons of lens flair I had flashbacks of starting Warframe for the first time

Yeah I think you said that several times and no one has so far agreed with you.

In Warframe I honestly see much more Mass Effect 3 or Halo influences than I see BlueSpaceCatPerson the Movie the Videogame.

I'm sure the similarities have nothing to do with the fact that we as a species have essentially exhausted all basic story concepts and literally everything for the last probably thousand plus years are just rehashes of those basic concepts. 

Alternative theory, everything is just a Minecraft clone, yeah let's just go with that. 

5 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

This is quite literally every generic third person shooter, slapped with the avatar ip.

I was going to go into my whole life's history and list all the games from Commodore64 until now that "look" like the game in this video or has elements similar to those in it. However, you put it best!

Looks quite similar yes. 

But is it because of the movie Avatar influence ? Or the game ? Both ? Or maybe both games share the same infuences ? Warframe is not original at all, except the character design everything is quite standard and generic.

But yes, it's funny to see this game looking like a different Warframe prototype.

Am 1.12.2018 um 11:25 schrieb ngrazer:

Avatar: announced in 2007, released in 2009.

Early prototype of Dark Sector (Warframe predecessor): shown during E3 2005. 

The details were most likely not done back then. Prob not even after 2009. They don't plan out the entire game 10 years before release...