Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I want to report players for "afk" playing

Andrew7811

Question

I've recently played through a few fissure interception missions on public matchmaking where two of my fellow players would play "afk" where they wouldn't move their characters when necessary such as reviving me or someone else who died. I had one guy who played hydroid and "defended" a point by staying puddled. If I went into bleedout cause my defensive abilities were canceled cause of nullifier bubbles and then took bombard rockets in the face, the hydroid player standing beneath me would stay puddled beneath me and not move to make an attempt to revive me. Another player I came across appears to have placed a specter with an ignis on a point and went far far away and did nothing else.

I want to report people who I would describe as griefing by playing AFK for rewards but there's no category in game that would let me do this. What should I do when I come across players who choose to intentionally play in an "AFK" manner?

• Like 1

Warframe is plagued with the issue of being a game that is designed in a way that allows for AFK "play".  I fully agree with you, it's aggravating to see AFKers get the same rewards I do when i'm the one playing and they're not.  UNFORTUNATELY i'm not sure it's a reportable issue as it isn't technically griefing because they're not impeding your progress, they're actively helping it by using their powers and tabbing out.  Once upon a time, DE implemented something so where AFKers don't get certain rewards or something, idunno, it doesn't seem to work.  The best thing to do in these situations is either leave or just ignore it.  😕  Like, this has been an issue for so long that DE hasn't fully criminalized it, so i'm not too sure they're going to.  Best thing is to try to just focus on playing and enjoying yourself.  

If there's actually a way to do something about it, let me know.  If you don't want to actually play the game, then don't play the damn game.  I don't understand people.

I wasn't on your team, but from what I've read, I would like to point out that your team mates not reviving you or not playing the way you expect them to is not really being afk, rather poor team play. But yes, it is possible to meet an afk player, especially on POE or OV. If you really wish to repot someone for these actions, make screenshots and send them here: https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us while providing a detailed report of what happened. 

N.B.!: Falsely reporting someone might backfire on you.

• Like 6

I'm confused.

Sounds like those players were successfully defending each of their interception points. That's sort of the goal of the mission no?

If they move away from their points to yours to help you out, the enemy will capture their points.

Seems to me that you just went to the mission unprepared, and while your squad mates managed to protect their interception points, you weren't able.

What am I missing here?

• Like 16

On 2018-12-19 at 9:53 PM, Andrew7811 said:

I've recently played through a few fissure interception missions on public matchmaking where two of my fellow players would play "afk" where they wouldn't move their characters when necessary such as reviving me or someone else who died. I had one guy who played hydroid and "defended" a point by staying puddled. If I went into bleedout cause my defensive abilities were canceled cause of nullifier bubbles and then took bombard rockets in the face, the hydroid player standing beneath me would stay puddled beneath me and not move to make an attempt to revive me. Another player I came across appears to have placed a specter with an ignis on a point and went far far away and did nothing else.

I want to report people who I would describe as griefing by playing AFK for rewards but there's no category in game that would let me do this. What should I do when I come across players who choose to intentionally play in an "AFK" manner?

hahahhaha dont reviving you its far from "afk" . The hydroid did the mission ... he is not obligate to revive players that cant stay alive .

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, (PS4)xtharbadx said:

I'm confused.

Sounds like those players were successfully defending each of their interception points. That's sort of the goal of the mission no?

If they move away from their points to yours to help you out, the enemy will capture their points.

Seems to me that you just went to the mission unprepared, and while your squad mates managed to protect their interception points, you weren't able.

What am I missing here?

I kinda agree with this...

as long as they are taking care of their capture point, even if its different from your play style, I don't see what the problem is. If this seriously bothers you that much play with people you know. I always say that if you are in a clan, and don't play with anyone from that clan get out and find one that is actively helping players out.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's not afk. You don't have to rez people. And I've had maps where I'm annoyed at someone and don't bother. Like if they've done 0% damage or something like that.

Afk is where someone sits in a corner and does literally nothing. Had it happen in a defense today when farming mesa relics. I backed off, let them get beaten to death, then continued on with the mission.

• Like 4

Using a Specter to defend an interception point is a valid strategy and pretty smart too.

So is Hydroid pooling.

and if you're busying being downed, you're probably not doing as good a job as either of them...

They're probably simultaneously making their own threads about wanting to report 'noob leechers who expect to be carried'

why is the 'afk'-ness or easiness of other players strategies your business to complain about anyway? its was Void Fissure mission right? you share the rewards anyway.

Its common for experienced players to farm fissures and whatnot in efficient less-interactive ways. And it also common to Not take the time to res someone who is Constantly down, because it wastes time on a player who probably wasn't doing much help alive anyway.

is that kind of farming mentality toxic? ?maybe? but its something you need to complain to DE to about their game design that encourages and rewards it, not blame players

Edited by (PS4)haphazardlynamed
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, (PS4)xtharbadx said:

I'm confused.

What am I missing here?

I just wanted to say the same. That it actually seems that "AFK" players ignored noob that just ran around and died because they were busy defending points. At least about Hydroid it sounds legit to drown mobs and be invincible at same time in order to prevent the capture of objective. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (PS4)xtharbadx said:

I'm confused.

What am I missing here?

I have same idea.

Especially because it's interception due to the fact that sometimes there are so many enemies coming in that if you go and res someone who can't handle their own point you will lose yours in seconds and will need to struggle to capture again. I've left quite a few people just die in interception because there is a point that it's not worth resurrecting someone who came not properly prepared and resurrecting him will cost in loosing my own interception point which will make it 2 lost interception points instead of 1. And if me and 2 other players are successfully holding our own points while 1 can't do that, well it guarantees finishing the mission so therefore I'm not going to risk it. And usually other party members think alike.

Spoiler

512e206fbb6ad999be376588d40784cdc422f9d8

• Like 5

What stands out a bit from your post is what was not said; it sounds like they didn't lose their points, at which I'd be fine with them doing what they did. 

As for being picked up when downed in an interception specifically...
When someone else goes down: if I don't have a frame to keep enemies off my point with abilities, I don't leave it to res, because while I res I'll lose my point.
If I'm going down: I'd rather have someone hold on to a point than to res me tbh.

15 hours ago, Camels said:

If there's actually a way to do something about it, let me know.  If you don't want to actually play the game, then don't play the damn game.  I don't understand people.

I think you should reread what OP said.

He doesn't say they aint contributing to the mission. Even a spectre can defend a intersception point at low levels. He's blaming other players for not helping him. So according to him they are 'afk'-ing, because they dont bother with his mistakes. His false accusations are one of the many reasons why DE are reluctant about processing player reports.

• Like 1

Afk gameplay is caracterized by hiding the warframe or by remaining idle for extended periods of times, you need to be sure the players didn't aim, turn around, casted an ability or moved, as a single movement means they are there not doing much, not doing much isn't afk gameplay.

Keep in mind abilities like world on fire can still cause the player to be reported, so if you see someone in a pudle in interception, talk to them in chat and see if they move once emerged or even if they emerge to kill the remaining enemies, if not then a valid report can be done, provided you have the pictures to prove your case.

But do get common sense before reporting, remember that while afk isn't as severe as a player selling an account (instant ban), you are still doing something that might suspend the player, you have to be sure and you have to have some sense of resposibility, it's another player account at stake.

Most warned players will on the short term quit warframe, mainly because it's better to leave on their own terms than to have support suspend the account, in other words, even if all they get is a warn, it has the same effect as a ban, because the player will likely stop playing.

• Like 2

Meh, this isn't as bad compared to what I've encountered while doing a defense alert. One Excalibur just stood above the cryopod and went afk, occasionally moving a bit to prevent triggering idle status *sigh* I was using Gara so he knows he can safely afk.
I wanted to break the glass wall so bad so he would get hit but he's standing at the cryopod, so we have no choice but to move on and defend the objective. (I don't spam 4,1,4,1 combo when I run with other people because I don't want them to hate meeee)

I usually just let those kind of things go since the mission wasn't that hard but if it was a difficult one and some player decided to let the rest of the team do the work 😠
Anyway, OP's complaint is off tho. Interception is really about staying and defending your point until the round ends. And I don't mind people doing "afk gaming" as long as they're still helping complete the objective, whether they are happily spamming their skill or they have specters out...as long they contribute something, it's fine. If it was the same with the guy on my defense mission, did absolutely nothing and still got the rewards. Maybe a player point system that counts kills and assists (for support roles), and completing the objective (retrieving data in spy, capturing targets, etc), so if someone went afk, they would get the lowest amount of reward or no reward at all MUWAHAHA to discourage afk-ing.

Lastly, don't be a crybaby if no one revived you. Srsly, how old are you?
I don't expect people to revive me especially if we're all busy fighting/defending or doing whatever the objective is. "Forget about me and go make this mission a success!" 😭

OP,

I understand how frustrating something like that can be. As others have pointed out, though, if what the other players are doing contributes to the mission there’s not really anything that they’re doing wrong. I get equally frustrated when I have a frost or a vauban drop snow globe/bastille and just idle on top of a defense objective. The reality is that they are helping the mission succeed. They aren’t required to do so in a way you or I approve of. 

Players are "obligated" to pick you up but it's not their "responsibility". Just because someone isn't playing the way you would doesn't mean they're afk or griefing. One guy put up a spectre and probly rotated around the map for loot* and reactant. A LOT of ppl do this. The hydroid you spoke of was doing his job to protect his tower. coming out of his puddle to res you could have compromised that tower as well. That's not afk. I get this can be frustrating but falsely reporting someone without legitimate reasoning can get you in trouble. what you wrote is not a legit reason and it sounds like a simple case of clashing playstyles. Just shrug it off and move on.

Edited by _DapperDanMan_

Wow. Lots of hate on the OP. My guess is that he has valid frustrations but picked bad examples with which to express those frustrations.

What I will say is that, regardless of the poster's situation, I have personally witnessed people that are quite literally AFK (like, standing at the start of the mission and not ever moving, even to run to the exit when we're trying to extract). It also bothers me to no end when people join PoE / OV bounties and go off and fish/mine or whatever, hoping to have me and others do the quest while they simultaneously farm resources. The latter, if you weren't aware, DE has tried to fix, to an extent, at least with OV. You need to be at the place where the thing is happening or you don't get quest rewards or pickups like Toroids. It's not a perfect system, though, and doesn't work very well at all in PoE, and even in OV, you can ignore the quest and fish/mine as long as you're close enough to the action.

I do agree with what everyone has said, though, about being careful not to report users that simply are bad or look like they're afk but aren't. Maybe there was an emergency and someone had to get up for a minute - it happens to even the most dedicated player - though I wish people would at least SAY something when that happens. There's also a line between stopping between stages of a bounty to grab a single mining vein that is right in your face versus going to mine for entire bounty stage, and sometimes that line is hard to find.

What I will say, though, is at the end of the day there will always be people who try to abuse others and the system in general to get what they want without putting in the work, and when it's a conscious decision they've made, like literally fishing during every stage of a 4 or 5-part bounty, those are the people I'd really like to just uninstall the game, but since that isn't going to happen, it would be nice to have a method of reporting them ... it's just that, as everyone's said, people's ideas of AFK and abuse will differ and it's unlikely that DE will ever be able to sort out the actual offenders from the borderline or misunderstood cases. It sucks, but there it is. My best advice would be to leave those groups and get on with enjoying yourself. Dwelling too much on the negative will only make your experience worse.

Yeah i agree with the people above. The people in your squad probably prioritized the mission over reviving you. There is already a penalty in the game for afk-ing. If you arent moving for around 2min even with an active ability then you will not get the reward. In endless missions you would be autoselected to stay and every rotation where you hadnt moved would be considered an afk act and no reward would be given. Rolling against a wall to cancel the "no movement" afking doesnt work either. you have to do a free roll to stay as an active player. As an afk player you also dont get health or energy from allied warframes. It becomes pretty easy to notice when  a player in warframe is activly afk and when they are focusing on their own objective. 

If you are looking for multiple revives anywhere but Hydron its very likely that you need to reassess your build or style of play.

Also, there is no point in complaining about other players not rezzing you in pugs, while I agree it's not very nice of them to ignore you, they are also not obligated to do so.

On 2018-12-19 at 11:21 PM, (PS4)Black_Adder_ said:

I just wanted to say the same. That it actually seems that "AFK" players ignored noob that just ran around and died because they were busy defending points. At least about Hydroid it sounds legit to drown mobs and be invincible at same time in order to prevent the capture of objective. 

IDK, those techniques are sound, but there’s also the role play of it. I was just in a longer survival run (not long, but a little over 30min) and my team mates where constantly going down at a certain threshold. I was in my Inaros frame so I changed roles at a certain point and started picking up everyone I could get too to keep the game going. Some frames are just squishy after a certain threshold... These two may have defended their points but the team is only your team for that match, call it what you want but this AFK with benefits at best 😉 I’ve been in plenty of pub groups where people did their own thing and we failed - especially at higher levels, there should always be a little room for team care.

That said, the OP needs to live, learn, and suck it up - unless this becomes a daily issue (for some it has), just leave it and find a new pub group. Take another look at your mods, figure out a new survivability tactic. Team play is implied in WF, but you still need to carry yourself if needs be. Also, I’d like to know where the hydroid found the energy generation to sit out an entire match in puddle form, while guarding a constantly attacked control point... that’s a lot of energy loss after few rounds!

On 2018-12-20 at 5:53 AM, Andrew7811 said:

When it comes to warframe grind there’s generally two schools of thought.

As fast as possible, sweat like hell and finish the content ASAP for chance at drop.

OR

As easy as possible, “afk” farm so you don’t burn out.

Most frames can do either one, some frames excel at one or the other.

This is a PVE game, do keep that in mind. You aren’t losing SR or ELO, your pride points aren’t effected by other people’s performance.

You just do you 🙂

If someone is truly standing away from an objective and doing absolutely nothing for more than a few minutes, sure, report them.

My account is 53 days old and I’ve only seen one person afk, a LOT of people lazy farming though.

I personally may have been a Hydroid doing the pool thing....and not rezzed people.....especially when I am holding like 50 enemies in my pool. 

I also have gone into pool form when super surrounded.....I don't typically use the pool unless I am getting slaughtered and the team I am with as well.

Though I have played with a few AFKer and leechers….the leechers tick me off more....because you can see them deliberately doing it.

The AFKers sat back at the entry point and did nada...this happened during some spy missions and mobile defense missions.....but could have been worse...they could have annoying messed up the missions for everyone.

Now leech wise....in one mission a player deliberately killed them selves to get the credit during a sorty.

In orb valis….a leecher stayed back by the entry door....until the team killed the profit taker and then came in and got the rewards......I unfortunately died my final death and got nothing....so it was a bit annoying.  

Now I myself became an almost  leecher in one sorty, because for some reason a door in front of me wasn't opened for me.....it was for other players and enemies.....so I just killed the enemies because they spawned right where I was...to run at the other players trying to destroy the big gun.

I think what this game needs is some items to Teleport team members to you to you...that way if they afk...you teleport them right in the middle of the fight.

If they are leeching...you teleport them right into the fight....if they are stuck...you can teleport them to you and they will help.

That's my personal suggestion....a constructed item allowing the teleportation of a single team member.

It can have a prompt so the person can elect to not be teleported to stop griefing or to teleport instantly to not have to wait….but it should other wise have a timer of say 5 or 10 seconds....and teleport them if they don't select the prompt.

And to prevent bots or auto click...the buttons should move, switch from the left or right side of the prompt, swapping every so often....to make people actually stay alert and active.