Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Attracting Veterans, from a Veteran...

Ekemeister

Speaking as a veteran here, I just want the game to be fun. Which it already is (mostly... looking at you, rivens). So I don't particularly want anything, I'm here to stay for as long as the game is still fun. Doesn't seem like that will change any time soon, so, I'm good.

• Like 3

Just now, Gabbynaru said:

Speaking as a veteran here, I just want the game to be fun. Which it already is (mostly... looking at you, rivens). So I don't particularly want anything, I'm here to stay for as long as the game is still fun. Doesn't seem like that will change any time soon, so, I'm good.

This about how I feel also.  

6 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Yep.  Had a coworker that that was in a position to just buy full plat packs, prime packs and vault packs. 

He only played 6 months but he spent about $2,000 before bailing because everything was boring and easy after all the crap he bought. 

Which is understandable, the game isn't going to have much to engage when its structured around walling stuff to mess with to get stuff. If they bought it, there isn't much to do in that system. Course, buying all their gear hardly lets them be a veteran, in this case because they didn't stick around. That said, DE did just release Arbitration and Onslaught for just this category of player, which can be a shame since what the players saying they want challenge really mean is they want something to engage them; which Arbitration and Onslaught are not going to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

Yep.  Had a coworker that that was in a position to just buy full plat packs, prime packs and vault packs. 

He only played 6 months but he spent about $2,000 before bailing because everything was boring and easy after all the crap he bought. 

Lol.  So much for anticipation, enjoying the journey, and exploring the deeper game mechanics that make the game awesome.  

He probably thought Mag sucked after doing a full-scale build rush. 😏

4 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

😞

- ESO is a GREAT endless dungeon system, but currently it's just an AoE dps race to keep uo efficiency. Make it more an endless dungeon, slow efficiency drain and tackle side objectives and modifiers in there, like a console to defend, hacks to do, a dude to protect, an interception point to cap etc 

Agree on last part. ESO btw is not great at all. Focus? I maxed out all focus school with eidolons (as many vets i think did). Drops? C'mon. Rad relics? 

The only thing that remains for this lost, absolutely boring, abandoned game mode is quick mastery for some new weapons. 

Are players still doing it? Maybe, we don't have numbers but it could be.

Fortuna is just a PoE on steroids, still the same old bounty way.

OP is right, game depth is absent, no matter what. The  "new players make money" excuse, well, i wonder how long a strategy like this can be a win-win in the long run. It's maybe working for now, but if players retention is not your goal you'll have to keep lowering entry barriers for the newcomers, over and over towards a ridiculous arcade mode.

That loss of quality sooner or later could be a problem.

il y a 2 minutes, (PS4)Dublincore a dit :

Agree on last part. ESO btw is not great at all. Focus? I maxed out all focus school with eidolons (as many vets i think did). Drops? C'mon. Rad relics? 

The only thing that remains for this lost, absolutely boring, abandoned game mode is quick mastery for some new weapons. 

Are players still doing it? Maybe, we don't have numbers but it could be.

Fortuna is just a PoE on steroids, still the same old bounty way.

OP is right, game depth is absent, no matter what. The  "new players make money" excuse, well, i wonder how long a strategy like this can be a win-win in the long run. It's maybe working for now, but if players retention is not your goal you'll have to keep lowering entry barriers for the newcomers, over and over towards a ridiculous arcade mode.

That loss of quality sooner or later could be a problem.

Ye for instance i spent maybe 50€ in the first 3 years of playing and more than ten times as much in the last year. 

And lack of depth is a problem tbh. It always was. Luckily i enjoy very much the core combat loop but sometimes at the place I'm at you suffer from complete aimlessness. 

12 hours ago, Ekemeister said:

You want people who've been playing warframe since March 2014 to be more interested in coming back!? Want people to stop treating your game as a speed running, horde mode simulator? well MK1 and Fallout 3 & 4 are a great templates, believe it or not. Put small, inconsequential secrets in the game. A player in an unalerted, facility discovers grineer playing poker in their baracks? There's a prompt to play poker with other tenno in the party?! Well, who watches the door? Mesa. She has peacemaker.

I saw what you did there...........

34 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

Lol.  So much for anticipation, enjoying the journey, and exploring the deeper game mechanics that make the game awesome.  

He probably thought Mag sucked after doing a full-scale build rush. 😏

Nah, he learned the hard way not to diss my preferred frame. 

Mainly because he was sitting in my house making comments, so he was within easy reach of throwable objects but also because I was able to school him in game. 

Edited by MagPrime

Might I offer some advice? I play the game specifically to enjoy that horde mode simulation, but there is so much more that could be done, and the current boss fight dynamics do NOT scratch that itch for me. 

DE, go watch some anime. Go watch RWBY. Go play Borderlands. THAT is what I'm talking about. Take whoever keeps suggesting invincibility phases and space him. Have bosses react to our powers instead of completely ignoring them or having them not apply. Like, maybe have Sargas Ruk create his own magnetic field to counter Mag's and throw her across the room, but that leaves him open to Excalibur introducing himself via Exalted Blade. 

Give Bosses more health instead of just shrugging off all damage completely. I'd enjoy the idea of chipping away at the boulder and stacking corrosive status on an enemy that has an outrageous amount of armor. 

Just a few ideas

as  a seasoned player since Excal's PA, with over 6k hrs into this game there isn't anything more left that DE can do to wow me. Their road map is now set in stone years ago and only the particles/fx has "evolved". the grind has gotten out of control, the gameplay has gotten better over the years and has peaked, and is now in decline with little to no  other ways to make it exciting and fresh.

speaking as a long term player, syandanas, armor and other cosmetics doesn't excite me enough to want to play. Tactical alerts were very enjoyable when they were around, badges and trophies had more of a say than a sigil or floofs when its displayed>> it had bragging power. but the thing that would make me log back in to warframe is if they continue on any of the lore/story of any frame or weapon they introduced in the past.

there's so many unfinished and broken lore/stories with  no continuation or  follow ups, its just one dead end jumping to another dead end. I've spent roughly 45 mins in fortuna since it was released to get the garuda frame, but after I saw what was required to get the parts building I find it hard to fire up the game.

I've seen the game grew in some parts but for many aspects of it, it has dropped flat on it's face. Today I tried to play ( for love of the game) a fissure survival on Mot. The group I got in pubs were all over the map  which makes gathering those  XXX very tedious. on top of that they couldn't manage the content and cut the run at 20 mins which in itself has made me left the game.

I don't see any changes other than nerfs or more mind numbing and boring mechanics added in. that said,  and with the direction they are going there isn't much left to appease any player with xxx amount of time invested, seen and experienced the best and worst of the game, that is attractive enough to win us over again. ill leave this appetizer for the fans>> 

Fixed the Shattering Impact Mod breaking the Profit-Taker. Profit-Taker is now immune to Armor Reduction. 

Edited by ranks21
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, OriVerda said:

To be fair I think it's the retention from vets who keep investing into the game versus getting new players/customers. I think DE does both very decently, not perfectly but hey it's cool.

DE does do this well, a lot better than most games that have run for as long as it has and haven't tanked their first game to a sequel. (Destiny: Oops, we made a mess of our game? Let's recycle some assets and charge $100+ more for Destiny 2 where everyone gets to be a new player again! We value your time.) And it is really quite the balancing act. Releasing a new piece of content that's too new-friendly means you'll have olds scoffing at it or blasting through in a day and back to whining about nothing to do. However, the more old-exclusive content is released, it becomes more likely that news are going to pick up this game, realize the time investment required to get into it is huge, and put it back down because they don't have the time.

As someone who's played this game for more than three years, I have to say that it makes more sense to develop in favor of newer players. This is simply because the longer a player plays your game, the closer they get to putting it down forever. Old players have already played the game, so developing something exclusively for them is a bigger risk than developing something aimed at newer players.

Besides, if you got over a thousand hours out of a single video game, I'd call that a good run. I can pay 80 bucks for a title that suggests right on the cover I'll get 60 hours pf gameplay, and as long as I enjoyed those 60 I'll walk away happy.

Edited by SenorClipClop

On 2018-12-24 at 4:38 AM, birdobash said:

I like the idea of getting some more world interaction, like what if you played a match of index, and then the next time you drop into fortuna some of the solaris are watching your match?

Also new UI that isn't entirely stupid would be nice.

I'd be down for a tie-fighter hud or drathal's hud format. 

22 hours ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

"Certain partnered youtubers"

....this won't end well.

lol. That light at the end of the tunnel... it's not a train is it? 

20 hours ago, peterc3 said:

I'm not entirely sure you realize what you've said here. All of that wall of text is great and all, but... what if they have the numbers to say they don't need to or shouldn't chase people like you who just keep wanting more? What if the numbers skew towards what they've been doing is the best course of action for them as a business?

What would your reaction be to not being the target demo for the game?

I already know that I'm not the target audience. I enjoy making / tuning high performance builds that keep in theme with the frame / weapon coupled with some dojo decorating on the side. Also, I have a list of frames that I refuse to play consistently b/c they make the game too easy: Rhino, Nova, Mesa, Excalibur, Nidus, Frost. Most players don't play through old planets to see changes made to maps, models, textures. I'm weird. I enjoy the process. I enjoy smelling the roses. But... 

This isn't about me. It's about interesting dialectic.  

I have bought 6 or 7 prime access and some acessories packs so i think when people say the that new players are the major income for the game i think they are wrong... I think major part is veteran players that keep puting money in the game to keep up with the content.. I think DE should show us a statistic where it is vetetan or new players that give the most in game money to them at least for us to see what the game have to evolve.. If it is about the money .. If it is new players that give all major income will shut up and see where it will go, if is veterans u should focus on the next year on them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)MartiniBaby23 said:

I have bought 6 or 7 prime access and some acessories packs so i think when people say the that new players are the major income for the game i think they are wrong... I think major part is veteran players that keep puting money in the game to keep up with the content.. I think DE should show us a statistic where it is vetetan or new players that give the most in game money to them at least for us to see what the game have to evolve.. If it is about the money .. If it is new players that give all major income will shut up and see where it will go, if is veterans u should focus on the next year on them

They won’t ever release demographics like this.  

And tbh, the strategy is likely to transition new players who invest real $ past a certain point (say 30 days) so that the revenue stream mirrors an annuity/subscription model with long-term investment.

That way, even if a player takes a hiatus, they have so much skin in the game that they revisit with new content releases.

That first 30 days (It might be even shorter, as little as 48-72 hours) with players that make a purchase is critical.

Yes new players bring in way more money then vets.I Idon't buy plat unless I get a 75% off and even then I really have to think about it. Never bought a prime access at full price, only the recent unvaulted Nova and mag acceories pack since I had extra money and those would go away forever. 

On 2018-12-24 at 9:10 AM, Fishyflakes said:

Veterans forgot how to have fun really.

They don't actually seem to know what they want when they ask for "better rewards" lol

Because vets have done mostly everything there is to do. There is a point you reach in the game where it stops being fun and just becomes more tedious grinding which u want to get over with as fast as possible like the next prime frame/weapons. Or just buy them in trade chat.

"Better rewards" hmm let's see what we currently have. Farm edilons for tiny plat unless u get energize or grace. orb mother for a torioid and debt bonds which u need max rep to start the missions anyways...? Arbitrations are just bad right now with only one or two mods being sort of not rly worth it... Other then that, what else is "end game" with "end game rewards" 

LifeofRio had some good ideas in his meeting with DE.

4 hours ago, Dr.Pepper23 said:

Yes new players bring in way more money then vets.I Idon't buy plat unless I get a 75% off and even then I really have to think about it. Never bought a prime access at full price, only the recent unvaulted Nova and mag acceories pack since I had extra money and those would go away forever. 

They're unvaulted in time. It's on a rotation basis. Mag has been in and out of the vault even before now. All of the original starter frames have (Mag/Rhino/Volt).

5 hours ago, Dr.Pepper23 said:

Yes new players bring in way more money then vets.I Idon't buy plat unless I get a 75% off and even then I really have to think about it.

I drop some cash for a few cosmetic packs (if they have something worth it to me), so vets can still drop cash now and again. I like wframe grumbling aside, so DE gets my coin and playtime over nearly all other AAA titles. I make a point to fund DE.

But y'all forgetting a lot of streamers are vets and they market the game. They need content to stream over or they move on, out of boredom and the need to have content for their fans and their bottom line. With them go eyeballs and cheap advertising.

The partner program is a business model, not a charity. 

Edited by (PS4)teacup775

On 2018-12-25 at 12:19 AM, Autongnosis said:

- take the good parts of the vallis bounty system. Bonus objectives are good, make more, randomise them, and apply them to standard missions. 

- secondary objectives in missions. IE, a capture where the capture target drops a datamass and it becomes a MDef. Exterminate where you draw out a miniboss. MDef that becomes a sabotage (you hack the bridge open for instance). Spy that becomes a small interception segment. Etc.  

this is really important IMO. It adds some dynamic to the mission. I think DE already implement this in a form of kuva survival. Not a great leap, yes, but it's a right direction that makes survival missions are way better. Most of the time, people will just camp on a very narrow corridor and sit there for hours which is incredibly boring. In kuva survival, players are encouraged to move from one place to another, making them step out of their comfort zone and doing it also reward them with something (kuva).

I like your idea. If DE ever want to make new star chart system (tau system maybe?), the missions isn't just high level (100+), but also have dynamics like this.

• Like 1

Am 24.12.2018 um 14:40 schrieb WabanUK:

Alternatively, DE know what they're doing better than you do.

Feel free to make your suggestions, but be aware that DE have created an incredibly successful game against all odds, showing that they know more about designing a successful game than a lot of studios, let alone a single gamer 

They got there through trial and error though, not through genious game design. Lots of things they added had to be heavily reworked and tweaked and many just outright failed and/or got removed from the game. Without it's passionate community, Warframe wouldn't be here now.

Ok,now imagine they have done it

They add a lot of enemy interactions,new systems,multiple objectives per mission,etc,etc,do you think that would satisfy the "veterans" ???

That,they would just look at it and say "HEY D.E,GOOD JOB"

Or that they would find some meta-build to rush throught it the fastest as possible and return to complain about challenge and rewards ?

The game was build in it's core trying to save a company using every last resource they have and all the love for a idea that was scraped and told that would fail,it as an unstable base,no matter what D.E does,nobody will never be satisfied

"We give you space battles and ship traveling between planets !!"

"Oh well,but what I earn with it ? I can just equip my Redeemer Prime and one-shot every enemy inside that other ship"

Warframe as a weird community in which everyone will say that nobody complains about nothing,yet,everyone is complaining about everthing in game,"""D.E is always wrong,nothing they do will save this "dying game" and you should be playing Destiny or some S#&$ like that"""

• Like 1