Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The problem with Tennobaum

Grave.Knight

The big issue with Tennobaum is, well firstly it was started the week before the Holiday weekend, but also it favors quantity over quality. The way it's set up a lot of lower value items are worth more than high value items. Basically "$1 x 50 > $100 x 1". If instead the goal we're based on plats spent the goal would have been meet a long time ago (even if the goal we're 6million plats instead of 300thousand gifts). There were a lot of people giving high cost items but their generosity is valued less than the guys just giving 5p ship items.

• Like 6

I got 1 gift during Tennobaum. I'm set to friends only anyways, so I got more than I expected. Even that was a polymer decoration that was being sent to everyone on streamers friends list while they were live. I've seen this with other streamers also, spamming 5p items 20 times to the same person just to get the numbers up. I personally would prefer say a forma bundle instead of 7 decorations. Although I've seen a couple amazing things with argon decorations that I would want to try, but that's not useful. 

I do wish for next year though, that it could be the value of items and not the amount. Not sure how that would work out. 

Edited by --Brandt--

Assuming all plat is newly purchased solely for this event, and not plat that has been circulating in the system...

• a plat is worth ( at maximum 75% discount ) 1.20 cents.
  • The maximum donation level of 300,000 gifts at 6 cents each ( the least possible expense, all 5p decorations ) is 1.8m cents, or 18k dollars worth of plat.The donation to charity for that level is 100K dollars, more than 5x the minimum input, giving DE an 82k deficit to cover from operating expenses
  • Even if all 300,000 gifts were catalysts or reactors at 20p each, the deficit coming directly from DE's funds is 28k dollars.
  • The break even/profit threshold for the event, at which point the community has shouldered the entire donation and there is appreciable excess is just over 25p per gift, for 300,000 gifts.

Following this back to the lower levels of donation, there is no question the event is both to inspire and build the community, as well as donate to a good cause.

Asking that the donation be tabulated directly to the plat value is a self defeating attempt to get 'better' gifts. You may think you might get more, but it is in fact the exact underhanded predatory practice designed to fleece customers that has soured the faith of so many gamers.

DE - Thank you for an event in keeping with the season. Keep calm, and Tennobaum on. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Its just gifting, the point of the event is to share and help out your fellow tenno with the supplies they require, the attire they desire, or a warframe they crave. Its not about the score or a name being on the list or WHAT YOU GIFT, people mostly did it to help the community goal to get the prizes, others did it to spam ppl with a bunch of random stuff which made everyone including the giftee, laugh. Meanwhile theres players that complain because their gifting got overlooked because of people gifting simpler things.. There is no prize for being nice for profit, or expecting something in return rather than being nice out of the heart and not expecting anything at all. Tennobaum was great, I gifted 3 warframes, 2 accessories, and got argon crystals, which I needed for a variety of things to build, and skins, color pallettes and more. Im grateful because they could of ignored my gifting but they all went out of their way to gift back. Ty gl.

• Like 3

Meanwhile, tennobaum is almost done (again) and it looks that we're not gonna make it...that's sad but at least we tried, maybe the 300k goal was too high. Well, merry christmas to all the nice tenno that participated to the gifting madness (and even to those that only complained).

Edited by DrNever

And here I thought this was the season of giving, not the season of complaining about getting something for basically nothing. I'm half tempted to find a decoration that looks the closest to coal and gift the OP. Only half tempted though. Maybe I'll flip a coin. 

Edited by Sajochi
  • Like 5

My problem isn't the quality of gifts, in fact with two Forma Bundles, the Sacrifice Collection, and two ship decorations (one I specifically requested so I can put it next to my Orokin Cell) I'd say I got some pretty good stuff this year. My issue is that the ship decorations have more value towards the event than the Sacrifice Collection.

15 minutes ago, Mifune013 said:

My problem isn't the quality of gifts, in fact with two Forma Bundles, the Sacrifice Collection, and two ship decorations (one I specifically requested so I can put it next to my Orokin Cell) I'd say I got some pretty good stuff this year. My issue is that the ship decorations have more value towards the event than the Sacrifice Collection.

You clearly missed the point of tennobaum. It's for the red cross not your ego.

• Like 3

Gifted two friends the Garuda bundle (the 565p collection), some Warframe slots, Weapons slots, and gave away a lot of Rivens I don’t use anymore.

A close friend gifted me the Oxylus and Garuda Noble Animation before reaching Old Mate with Eudico.

Never really asked for anything, and those friends never really asked for anything either. Just the surprise with the gift of giving. 🙂

Ehhh... The way the bar flew up at lightspeed for the first two goals, and then slowed to a crawl, followed by the sudden extension as it seemed completely unmoving for several days... I dunno. The bar felt like it very deliberately lacked any clarity, and I kind of get the impression that they made it deliberately hang at the end to make people feel like they had to keep gifting a bunch to finish it off. Even based off of gift amount instead of value, I wonder just how much plat they manage to burn out of the economy each year with these...?

Still, charity's charity, I suppose. (even if it's maybe just for good PR and so that any criticisms can be brushed aside with "IT'S CHARITY OMG")

Edited by OvisCaedo

I was surprised we reached the final goal, was there a sudden spike in gifts or did DE just decide to give out the donations and prizes just because it's the holidays? either way, I got some nice skins out of it i suppose. the turnout was also a lot lower this year, only a few people on PC gifted over 1000 items, the years before it was in the tens of thousands. perhaps Mesa Prime and the Fortuna grind took up people's time, or maybe people just don't want to gift anymore, hard to tell.

anyway, tennobaum was made that way so even players with less platinum are inclined to buy gifts. otherwise we'd be relying on the "whales" and those who buy PA to be charitable, which isnt really enough on its own. besides, one man's trash is another man's treasure; a whole ton of newbies beenfit from an Argon crystal each because they can use it to make a weapon without having to do a void run (and they may not have access to the Void or know the best argon spots, depending on where they are).

let's try and keep in the holiday spirit, we've had more than enough threads about  real and fake problems already.

4 hours ago, mikakor said:

and you clearly missed what he's trying to explain.

He wants his more expensive gifts to count more than someone else's cheap gifts. That sum it up enough?

Now see if you can understand this. It's not about the quality of gifts, but the act of giving that you should be focusing on. Saying my gift should count more is an egotistical thing to say regardless of the gifts value. A gift is a gift. In this case, the gifts are meant to inspire to give to charity. The Red Cross. The act of giving should have been enough reward. Not a gold star. You miss the point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

You clearly missed the point of tennobaum. It's for the red cross not your ego.

Which is why I did not participate in Tennobaum. Not did I complain. Not the point of why I'm here. Bringing down thousands upon thousands of faceless enemies makes me feel important and feeds that toxic ego you mentioned. 

How are people taking any issue with this?

The point is that DE will donate if the community gives enough gifts to eachother.

The donations are based on number of gifts, not the value of gifts. DE isn't donating the income from the amount of plat spent.

The only reason to make it based on the amount of plat spent was if the goals were along the lines of 300,000 plat spent for DE to donate $100,000. What does it matter either way if DE is still donating to charity?

Also if it was based on plat spent people would find a way to make DE look greedy somehow. Might sound far-fetched but this community never fails to surprise.

9 hours ago, RetroNomad said:

JFC. You people will even complain about a #*!%ing event designed to give people things and to a charity.
Holy. Actual. S#&$.

?? Why? This complaint is legit. EZier on the giver and better for receiver too.

For the giver they can gift fewer items when higher value, instead of gifting 5P to 1000 people.

For the receiver they can get actually useful items instead of 100  Argon Crystal decoration. 

It's a win-win solution so why are you complaining?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

?? Why? This complaint is legit. EZier on the giver and better for receiver too.

For the giver they can gift fewer items when higher value, instead of gifting 5P to 1000 people.

For the receiver they can get actually useful items instead of 100  Argon Crystal decoration. 

It's a win-win solution so why are you complaining?

I'm more so annoyed at the fact that it seems no one on this forum can seem to just let something be or go a day without complaining. 
Even when it's something good for the community, someone will find a way to twist it into a problem here and at this point I'm sick of checking these forums and seeing a wall of "My problem with" or "How DE messed this up IMO"

Like holy crap. I went from frequenting this forum for fun and conversation to avoiding it like the plague because all it's used for these days is a repository of complaints that are ultimately pointless and ill placed or half baked.

This is just like. Another level of complaint. Complaining about the way a system REWARDS people for GIVING during a holiday based on SELFLESSNESS.
It's absurd to say the least and entitled beyond reason. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RetroNomad said:

I'm more so annoyed at the fact that it seems no one on this forum can seem to just let something be or go a day without complaining. 
Even when it's something good for the community, someone will find a way to twist it into a problem here and at this point I'm sick of checking these forums and seeing a wall of "My problem with" or "How DE messed this up IMO"

Like holy crap. I went from frequenting this forum for fun and conversation to avoiding it like the plague because all it's used for these days is a repository of complaints that are ultimately pointless and ill placed or half baked.

This is just like. Another level of complaint. Complaining about the way a system REWARDS people for GIVING during a holiday based on SELFLESSNESS.
It's absurd to say the least and entitled beyond reason. 

The urge to complain is rooted in people. Just like how you can't ignore this thread and complain here. It's part of the community albeit sometimes unwanted.

To me though, as noble and selfless as this event is, its implementation is flawed. If people make legit complain I don't see why not. OP is also making a legit argument how this event is being made to be harder to accomplish than it should have been. Like, although a more generous player contributed more real money value in the event it's still counted the same as a 5P Argon Crystal Decoration A.K.A DE is making the same donation to Red Cross for a 5P item and a 1000P item. It doesn't make sense and it's just unfair.