The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE Pablo says he would rework Vauban the next time he eats tacos!

(XBOX)SweatyPick3L

While we're on the topic of a rework for Vauban, I had a couple of ideas for tweaking Vauban's stats and abilities.

Shields: 75
Armor: 75

Reworked Abilities:

Tesla: Remove charge up mechanic for grenades.

Minelayer: Replace with a new ability called Seeker Mine. Vauban can deploy a mine that can detect and then chase after enemies. When the mine detects an enemy, it raises itself up on 4 legs and charges it, running and jumping as needed to get within detonation range. Detection / chase range / damage / blast radius goes up with each rank in the ability. Explosion does Blast + Radiation. Strength affects damage, AoE distance, and running speed. Range affects detection range. Duration affects mine lifespan.

Vortex: Now inflicts 50 Radiation and 50 Magnetic damage per second. Nearby Tesla grenades will affect any and all enemies attracted by Vortex.

1 minute ago, MirageKnight said:

While we're on the topic of a rework for Vauban, I had a couple of ideas for tweaking Vauban's stats and abilities.

Shields: 75
Armor: 75

Reworked Abilities:

Tesla: Remove charge up mechanic for grenades.

Minelayer: Replace with a new ability called Seeker Mine. Vauban can deploy a mine that can detect and then chase after enemies. When the mine detects an enemy, it raises itself up on 4 legs and charges it, running and jumping as needed to get within detonation range. Detection / chase range / damage / blast radius goes up with each rank in the ability. Explosion does Blast + Radiation. Strength affects damage, AoE distance, and running speed. Range affects detection range. Duration affects mine lifespan.

Vortex: Now inflicts 50 Radiation and 50 Magnetic damage per second. Nearby Tesla grenades will affect any and all enemies attracted by Vortex.

Tesla needs to be removed, its just totally useless, at least make it as the Arc traps from the grineer, those are 100% better.

as for Minelayer changes, i don't think mines work good in the game, sounds good on paper but sux in - game.

Vortex change is totally useless , and what do you mean by nearby tesla grenades will affect it? it already does if you put them close

2 hours ago, -Sentient- said:

Vortex change is totally useless

How? Radiation would allow it to have a better effect on Grineer and other armored targets - in addition to applying another form of DoT aside from just Magnetic. Hint: stuff would die a bit faster. How is that not a good thing?

2 hours ago, -Sentient- said:

as for Minelayer changes, i don't think mines work good in the game, sounds good on paper but sux in - game.

Minelayer right now is a needlessly convoluted and poorly executed mess that needs to replaced with something simpler and more universally effective. I think a deployable seeker "mine" would fit the bill nicely, given Vauban's theme.

Tesla needs to be removed, its just totally useless

No it doesn't. At the very least, all it needs is to have that stupid charge up feature removed. All it does is make the grenades awkward to deploy. I'd probably also improve the damage a little.

Edited by MirageKnight

I do not mind who's doing a Rework but Vauban actually needs some kind of rework which gives him a new ability at least which resembles somehow to an engineer. The teslas can be combined with the mines. The mines could work like normal mines so he drop mines and make a minefield where enemies die or stunned if enough of them explode. The trampoline out to date and that need to go and the other ones can be fine tuned to make these more interesting. 

He needs a new passive and he can have sentry turrets or drones which stronger a bit than a normal specter. moddable like the sentinels and can work similary like khora's venari so until it's die you can use it then it respawns around 3 min. The other idea is drop a turret which also could be moddable and works much more like an exalted turret " not the excal version ".

Bastille and Vortex needs changes or one of them should go and take a place an ability which can manage his energy / hp or just add buffs.

I am not saying Pablo is the best candidate who can work on him but any person whom have a little idea how these stuff could work what I suggested. Other than this there are a lot of threads about rework but the DE rarely take notice these and they are using instead the twitter and reddit forums which is a little bit shame because then the normal forum is non needed.

Edited by Cleopatranikea
  • Like 5

I can imagine a rework on Vauban and I actually playing him so I can see his weak and strong points. He is basically an engineer without engineer abilities if you not count the grenades. I find the Vortex and Bastille abilities useful but those needs some massive boosts. However these two basically the same despite the Vortex can deal damage too. The mines are pretty useless on most levels and these created to troll the enemies but actually not works as intended. Tesla could have some potential but itself it is weak because it deals a little damage which can not scale with level " charging not really helps " and can have a minor stun. 

I like the turret and drone ideas but I feel this is not fit to him currently and maybe a different engineer or technomancer frame could have these abilities.

From the mine section I would like to keep mostly the laser mine because that can be buffed to a level where it can blocks larger areas and block enemies. Bounce needs to go because that serves nothing more than trolling players and enemies alike. Instead of that they could add a gravity grenade which works similar like Titania's first or 3 ability. It could have some area effect where you throw it the nearby enemies affected and the grenade creates a micro gravitational field which catches enemies and send them fly around the grenade. The teslas can be used to create a chain link which multipy the Teslas damage by 5% each tesla thrown up to 10-15 teslas max.

He can have 150 armor for survivability issues also add a new passive to him which boost abilities on allies or just give him some energy-hp management passive. 

Basically he is a technican engineer so his abilities should represent his magnifiency.

Guess I'm going to have to side with those that consider this a bit distasteful. 

Jokes are one thing, but as with the "I wouldn't" comment regarding Wukong, this is a little too flippant for my liking.

Especially considering he found the time to rework Saryn again despite everything.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 1

On 2019-01-13 at 12:49 PM, MirageKnight said:

Minelayer: Replace with a new ability called Seeker Mine. Vauban can deploy a mine that can detect and then chase after enemies. When the mine detects an enemy, it raises itself up on 4 legs and charges it, running and jumping as needed to get within detonation range. Detection / chase range / damage / blast radius goes up with each rank in the ability. Explosion does Blast + Radiation. Strength affects damage, AoE distance, and running speed. Range affects detection range. Duration affects mine lifespan

Include the ability for Vauban to program it to target a single specific enemy and instantly kill it (as long as you have a codex scan maybe?). If Octavia can have a sequencer, surely other frames could have their own special interface?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Especially considering he found the time to rework Saryn again despite everything.

When he reworked Saryn, she went through a rework and changes after changes until she became the Frame she’s now. Nezha became really good after the beginning of his reworked but Saryn, she went through a lot.

Edited by GPrime96

5 hours ago, GPrime96 said:

When he reworked Saryn, she went through a rework and changes after changes until she became the Frame she’s now.

Yet another overpowered, one (maybe two) trick pony that can and will ruin the fun for at least 2 other people with the right build? That Pablo you mean?

Saryn would be in a good, balanced, co-op friendly state if Spores weren't so damn easy to spread and didn't scale so ridiculously well. I swear, some of the changes made to certain Warframe abilities as of late have made the game more viciously competitive, in terms of prompting other players to run around and grab as many kills as possible to try and thwart any map nukers that might be in a group. 

I'm all in favor of Vauban getting some much needed tweaking to make him more interesting, useful and a wee bit tougher, but not if it means turning him into yet another map nuker.

6 hours ago, schilds said:

Include the ability for Vauban to program it to target a single specific enemy and instantly kill it (as long as you have a codex scan maybe?)

That could work...among other things I'd probably also increase the attraction zone for Vortex to 10m (up from 6m).

42 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

Yet another overpowered, one (maybe two) trick pony that can and will ruin the fun for at least 2 other people with the right build? That Pablo you mean?

Saryn would be in a good, balanced, co-op friendly state if Spores weren't so damn easy to spread and didn't scale so ridiculously well.

Imo. Saryn wouldn't even be a badly designed frame would it be a pure debuff frame with no damage from Spores and Miasma, it would be quite balanced yet still a really good frame.

They should remove the charge up on his #1 and maybe increase the activation range of them. 

Turn his #2 into cluster mines, throwing out mines in a snowflake or pentagram pattern with one in the center. They explode similar to Zarr (with no self damage) when enemies walk across them. No gimmicky toggle to pick different mines, simply mines of death and destruction. They could add an automatic cold proc if they want some CC in there.

Leave #3 as it is. It is a great ability in its current state.

Remove #4 and give him a new one. Vortex does practically nothing useful. Bastille is already better since it leave targets suspended and not swirling around pointlessly. There is very little use of two different CC abilities that just CCs in two different ways. Turn his ultimate into a deployable sentry turret (think Overwatch Torbjörn meeting the extended scenes from Aliens), he can have two active at the same time.

That would make him feel like an enginner.

Also for the love of all things unholy, buff his armor to 150 atleast. He looks beefier and more armored than most frame yet he wears ricepaper as armor.

Teslas should just be a Minelayer ability, and Vauban’s Power 1 could be remade entirely into something differently. A turret ability, a burst cast ability that actually does some form of damage/CC - something.

His passive is very good if you know how to manipulate it. Bastille is good (even if the recent additions are more or less a bandaid fix to its real concerns of not actually holding certain enemies in place) and Vortex is ok to some extent (could use a cast cost drop from 100 to 75 for what it does).

The one thing that really shines with Vauban is that a lot of his abilities are one-handed casts, which really shifts his playstyle to be someone that casts abilities quickly, one the move and without a lot of interruption. His kit can synergize really well, but I feel that what players want out of him is the ability to not be so reliant on weapon loadouts to make him really excel.

His theme (as his name implies) is a military engineer, not as an entity that is represented solely as an impenetrable fortress but someone that can penetrate those defenses just as well.

8 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

They should remove the charge up on his #1 and maybe increase the activation range of them. 

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Turn his #2 into cluster mines, throwing out mines in a snowflake or pentagram pattern with one in the center. They explode similar to Zarr (with no self damage) when enemies walk across them. No gimmicky toggle to pick different mines, simply mines of death and destruction. They could add an automatic cold proc if they want some CC in there.

Eh - leave out the cold proc, give it knockdown temporary stun and we have a deal.

10 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Leave #3 as it is. It is a great ability in its current state.

Also agreed!

11 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Remove #4 and give him a new one. Vortex does practically nothing useful.

I think if Vortex did Radiation as well as Magnetic and had a wider "attract" radius, it would make for a more useful ability, but that's me.

13 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

He looks beefier and more armored than most frame yet he wears ricepaper as armor.

You know, I really have to agree with this. Give him at least 100 armor and perhaps make Fast Deflection his passive.

3 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

Eh - leave out the cold proc, give it knockdown temporary stun and we have a deal.

I think if Vortex did Radiation as well as Magnetic and had a wider "attract" radius, it would make for a more useful ability, but that's me.

I'd accept a standing stun, I hate knockdowns because it just turns into weak finisher damage options and a harder time for headshots.

I just dislike Vortex in action much due to the same reason I hate knockdowns, it simply gimps damage unless you have an infinite punch through weapon like Ignis. For me it doesnt matter what they add to that skill, I will still never use it because it only slows down the killing.

The whole Vortex ability jig works well for Nidus but that is because his kit syncs well with it, especially his #1. On Vauban it is just there, as a second inferior CC when compared to Bastille. Maybe they could rework Vortex so instead of working like Larva it would work like Khora's #2, pulling the targets into the Vortex but still standing up. Kinda like Zarya's ult in Overwatch. It still doesnt scream enginner about him with the skills he currently have. I'm not quite sure how the engineer theme led them to Vortex.

edit: And since he is an enginner I'm quite surprised he doesnt have Ammo Mutation as a passive.

Edited by SneakyErvin

Open a crowdfunding campaing and get the man some tacos.

Passive: make him have like 750 armor but it is only applicable to self-damage and friendly fire (irradiated allies).

I would make all of his abilities a click-to-toggle, hold-to-cast. Each one with 2 different mines of varying degrees of power. 

Tesla / Triplaser - both abilities can be switched in slot 1. Tesla should focus on electric CC above all. No more "charging tesla". Augment - Switch effect to "disarms target".

Medic / Supplies - on ability 2, Vauban can throw a medic crate or supply crate on the ground, or directly at an ally-frame. The Medic crate dispels status effects and provide some instant health and shields, plus temporary regeneration. Supplies provide instant refill of current gun magazines, and the weapon temporarily does not consume ammo, with shots ricocheting on nearby enemies and walls. Proposed Augment - Energetic - would grant a temporary energy regen, and stop energy drain of sustained abilities temporarily. It is the same full effect for both attacks.

Vortex / Bastille - Fold both abilities into ability slot 3. 

Into The Breach / Fortification - Into the breach is an Exalted ArchGun. It does not have a sustained energy drain cost though, but has a full 100 energy casting cost. Vauban gets a full health regen and his armor applies to all damage, not just self-damage. The Arch-Gun will have a cooldown, but not 10 minutes.
Fortification has a Radius of "affinity range". All frames become linked, with their health,shield and armor stats contributing to each other's survivability, with diminishing returns over distance. An item which behaves like a datamass or energy capsule is spawned by fortification, and can be picked up by any ally. This item grants regenerative powers for health, shield, energy, overshields, and ammo, as well as status immunity as long as a frame is holding it. shooting with the secondary weapon on an ally will also give the ally health, shields, overshields, energy and ammo. 
Neither of the two abilities cost sustained energy, they have a duration. Both can be active at the same time.

On 2019-01-11 at 2:14 PM, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

On the upside at least there is a timeline for a Vauban rework...right?

Yeah now I can safely check out till then. Its not like Rahetalius tweet about a rework didn't have 250 likes when Steve asked the 5th about what the community wanted to see going forward.