Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 - Your most pessimistic predictions?

VanFanel1980mx

The big thing of melee right now is it's scalability with mods like Blood Rush and Condition Overload. As long as enemies continue being giant masses of hp and armor, melee can't be useful if it can't deal with those masses.

If Melee 3.0 removes the scalability of melee, then it kills the entire point of those weapons. The pessimistic prediction then would be DE doing exactly that.

• Like 3

1. it comes out people are excited for it and show it 
  2. the play it and do a 180 come here and spam threads whining that X isnt op any more
  3. something something rivens something something muh investment will ensue 
  4. im going to have a few more bingo cards filled out 
  5. DE will tweak it and it will get better as youtube blokes show it works now since some people cant think for them selves on builds
  6. people calm down for the most part and things continue as normal
  7. DE going to touch X 
  8. Forums.exe (Exploding)
  9. cycle begins again 

personally i think it looks really cool and im excited to try it out since melee is going to get a update like secondary and primaries were but these reactions cycles are down right predictable now were i can make it fill in the blank replace X with any thing and it works most the time 

1. DE gunna rework  X
  2. players using x will react in 2 ways 
  3. some will give valid feedback and be civil on how X changes can be good
  4. some will start spamming and screaming how X change will ruin the game and their quitting if it happens this one happens more often due to spam
  5. X change drops 
  6. More spamming and valid feedback moderation finally kicks in for all the X threads
  7. some quit some quietly back pedal from X changes
  8. you tube people figure out how X changes work so you dont have to
  9. DE tweaks X more based on feed back screaming has lowered/raised in volume
  10. screaming subsides as to have run out wind in lungs and have played with or copy pasted a build for X 
  11. bingo cards are filled and balance is restored people use X less or more now 
  12. DE is going to touch Y now go back to step 1 and use Y in steps 1 though 12

5 hours ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

Something that also kind of worries me is how Reach and Primed Reach will work with a flat amount of range, depending on the fractions which I presume won't go over 1.55m (assuming Primed Reach is converted from +155% range to +1.55m) polearms and staves will still be kings for good melee while the smaller weapons will only be marginally better, furthermore, certain weapon stances that use more thrusts instead of swings won't get any better, and speaking of forgotten weapons it will be RIP Scythes stances, well, maybe they will be incorporated into heavy blades which will make things weird like using Reaping Spiral with a Galatine (ie, throwing it like a boomerang.)

this will be a buff to things like daggers and sword and shields but a nerf to the heavy blades whips and polearms.  I think that normal reach will be about +1m or for swords + 100% range while for daggers it will look like + 150-200% but for polearms, it will be an indirect nerf as they will not gain the additional +2m range that they currently have form reach and I don't see that as a bad thing.  it will still useful (your polearm will cover 21 m^2 more in a spin attack assuming a radius of 3m base but it would not be the almost 4 times the area that it was) but it will let polearms have different builds instead of being mandatory for how good it was and kinda meh on al others it will be good on all but not the best in slot that it was.  My fear is the exalted frames, and stances that don't let you efficiently build combo.  The biggest problem I have right now it that in ESO I can't build enough combo fast enough for my melee to work.  if the combo meter is now a linear slope and not a logarithm (x is hit count and y is the multiplier) then all they need to do is reduce the magnitude of blood rush and let us hit higher combo counts (if say 3.0 x in the norm in a 20 min mission then if we can now reach a comb of 9 is a similar amount of time then reducing the strength of blood rush by 3 would be ok as we would hit 10 soon after and it will be overall better) also by making melee damage flat it reduces the long ramp up that some melees have (see heavy blades).  now if they don't do the math for this then there will be a problem.  on the exalted frame's front, all exalted melees need to be looked at.  Most of all, Excal and wucong as they deal to0 much damage and too little respectively.  Valk's 4 could use a looking at but as far as a melee weapon she is fine (the stance could be faster but this is the speed melee frame) and if she gets some gap closers like what they showed for the venka then she will be fine.  however, my greatest concern is Life strike.  For the most part, I play frames with a self-heal (Oberon and Valk) but when I play a frame without one I use a life strike equipped melee (usually a sword and shield of the block).  Depending on how it is changed It will be ruined of so broken that it invalidates the game.  

4 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

The big thing of melee right now is it's scalability with mods like Blood Rush and Condition Overload. As long as enemies continue being giant masses of hp and armor, melee can't be useful if it can't deal with those masses.

If Melee 3.0 removes the scalability of melee, then it kills the entire point of those weapons. The pessimistic prediction then would be DE doing exactly that.

as long as they keep combo and don't over nerf the mods to compensate for the combo buffs then blood rush will be fine I could see a change to how CO works so that it is better on super tanky things but not as OP as it currently is.  but I agree melee is as good as it is because it scales better than anything in the game.  I hope that during the wolf of Saturn they look at the exponential scaling of enemies and make it linear (armor would need to be logarithmic to prevent the Grineer from scaling exponentially as they currently scale an insane rate)

3 hours ago, iLightning13 said:

They remove every melee weapon from the game and make us slap our enemies in the face with the fish we farm from PoE and Fortuna.

personally id be game for if you didnt bring a melee weapon you could still ya know Sock em in the face? with your fist? 

the thing on the end of your wrist where you hold the broomsticks and slicers yeah that can hurt people too why cant i punch people unarmed 

i imagine a tenno can pack a punch if i can carry the fragor or galatine prime no problem 24/7

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Wukong's damage is fine,

to be honest, I have never used him but I always heard that he was lacking in the damage department, then again this is the "overlord of the Metta" talking, (he will remain nameless) and well he is not the best at testing things.  

Edited by spirit_of_76

5 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Wukong's damage is fine, in fact it's largely better than Excalibur's. Excalibur just has a much easier time dealing it.

As an Excalibur main, I can confirm that, yes, it is painfully easy to deal damage.

don't  let the starting xxx combo multiplier fool ya, if what they did with the frame stats where starting it says 100 s.h.e.a. but in fact its still 0 % so you still need mods to make it work somewhat (good for under lvl 15) with 300 health at max  level 30. like I have stated in many a threads in the past DE is great at nerfing but not the same in the fun dept.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spirit_of_76 said:

to be honest, I have never used him but I always heard that he was lacking in the damage department, then again this is the "overlord of the Metta" (he will remain nameless) talking and well he is not the best at testing things.  

I can assure you, his damage when he hits is... top notch. Really, hundreds of thousands per hit.

3 minutes ago, Aldain said:

As an Excalibur main, I can confirm that, yes, it is painfully easy to deal damage.

Swishing intensifies.

It kills quick attack and therefore takes away any reason I have to use melee. Frankly, the only way I enjoy using melee is by spamming E. If they kill that, then guns it is. I don't exactly wanna bother with Bayonetta level combos.... or any combos for that matter, when spamming E works just freakin' fine.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

It kills quick attack and therefore takes away any reason I have to use melee. Frankly, the only way I enjoy using melee is by spamming E. If they kill that, then guns it is. I don't exactly wanna bother with Bayonetta level combos.... or any combos for that matter, when spamming E works just freakin' fine.

you will still have a spam e combo, I will like the change, as it will let me use combo stances outside of melee mode which will be nice as the weapon swap speed is a problem

2 minutes ago, spirit_of_76 said:

you will still have a spam e combo, I will like the change, as it will let me use combo stances outside of melee mode which will be nice as the weapon swap speed is a problem

Will I? Cause I kept asking for confirmation ever since they've first showed it off, and I got no answer. No answer can send the wrong message, so of course I'll be pessimistic about this, considering how DE doesn't like "lazy gameplay". I'm expecting either to be forced into combos or have quick attacks so lame they aren't even worth it. I doubt DE will let quick melee stay in the state it is now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

I'm expecting either to be forced into combos or have quick attacks so lame they aren't even worth it. I doubt DE will let quick melee stay in the state it is now.

as it is all stances have a spam E combo,  all quick attacks are lame and many are plain bad with few exceptions (two polearm stance come to mind) as it is quick melee is a bit of a crutch with how good it is on some weapons (see polearms) so if quick melee is replaced with a more use full system and the proposed changes to weapon switch speed are put in to effect it will be a buff to many melee stances even without the changes to the stances as a whole the one exception would likely be whips and windmill polearms.  but it would be a buff katanas and twirling spire (and other stances/melees with bad quick attacks.)forma

41 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Will I? Cause I kept asking for confirmation ever since they've first showed it off, and I got no answer. No answer can send the wrong message, so of course I'll be pessimistic about this, considering how DE doesn't like "lazy gameplay". I'm expecting either to be forced into combos or have quick attacks so lame they aren't even worth it. I doubt DE will let quick melee stay in the state it is now.

They did answer that, though.  All stances are going to have the combos: hammer E, hammer E while holding block, and hammer E while holding any direction key.  Some stances are alleged to have different combonations of movement factors as well.  

They also said they were speeding up swapping between melee and guns, and that quick melee would instantly weapon swap you to melee, allowing combo usage with less commitment.  

I grant this could all go down the tubes, but thus far it sounds like a ease of use buff if nothing else.  They're also doing the changes by weapon class, so if they're too bad things can get changed before all the salt rusts DE's servers.  

4 hours ago, (XB1)FISTO ROBOT0 said:

All I know is naramon might be even less useful now. Also they say charge attacks will consume the combo meter... well I want those combo mods to work so I’m basically never going to use the heavy attacks. 

Unless they end up forcing you to do that, sounds like it will just be Channeling 2.0.