The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Creating a clan from scratch

Mnemonicfall

I was wondering whether or not it was worth it to try and create a clan instead of just joining one. Nothing is wrong with joining in my eyes, as I have been a part of 2 different clans till this point, but there has never been any real interaction in those clans. I like the idea of putting in effort to try and find other people to join and building a mini community per say, but with clans come resources and labs. Though building a community sounds great, I would assume no one would want to join if they are told "We currently have nothing to help you, but we are good people at least". I guess it comes down to whether or not it is worth it to create a clan knowing the resources it will take to run it smoothly. Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

If you want? Its definitely more satisfying to see your clan grow and unlocking all things with your clan than joining one and getting all things for free basically. If you have a high MR and you are through the game it could be an idea otherwise it could be very hard, because things like Amprex and Ignis and other good things are just available with a good clan.

Edited by DerGreif2

I made my own single man dojo and its been fun. I have most things researched minus the crazy items (looking at you hema). 

Its easily doable if you've been playing for a bit and have a lot of resources and about 10 forma just to start a small dojo. 

I personally would make yourself a small efficient room dojo and research most things alone or with close friends. Then when you have a decent amount of research done start recruiting. Get 10 or less people to keep it a ghost clan and then see if they're reliable players and research the intense ingredient items with them. Once thats done do whatever your heart desires as far as clan size.

That's what I'd do at least, if i liked people 😛

If you want the bare minimum - just the labs, you can have your dojo in under a week.

Otherwise it will take you a while longer but it's worth it. It certainly feels better than joining some big clan and just leeching off.

Also, if you can offer help and friendliness it's more than enough. Not everyone judge a clan based on its Hema research. Also, in a large clan people get lost in the crowd, in smaller ones it feels more like a group of friends, some people may prefer that.

FYI, these are estimated costs of what a dojo with every single room outside of gardens and enough reactors and corridors to build all that.

Credits Salvage Ferrite Nano Spores Circuits Alloy Plate Rubedo Plymer Bundle Forma
20950 11900 7850 10400 3700 4400 3900 2100 29

I can also give you a breakdown of the room costs in a bit more friendly way than the wiki, if you want to.

Those costs are only for rooms, the real resource costs come from research. I'm fairly certain that the Knux is more resource heavy than a fairly large dojo 😄  forma aside.

But at least you wont need forma for the research.

I'd still advise to go into a clan and leech Hema and Ignis Wraith before starting your dojo. I now get to research the Hema 😕 

Edited by Ver1dian
  • Like 1

I also joined a big clan and it's ok but I maybe will also start a small clan in the future. I sitting on a few million resources and besides the forma I could do a lot. I also have the most weapons that are aviable from the dojo (Like the Hema... dont like it) and if I leveled all weapons that are aviable I think I will start a new clan. Just for the fun and the satisfaction. Maybe alone or with some randome people that could help. But I think I would need a few formal for that... so maybe at the start if the next plague star event.

I made my own clan and dojo a half year ago at around MR4 when I had just past Phobos on starmap, and it's really not as expensive as one might think to just create all the necessary bits with labs, posts, and the reactors to power it all. It took me about 14-16 Forma and some basic resources I had already gathered at that early point in the game. After that you can just take your time with researching, decorating, building more rooms, or whatever you want. To me it's a fun side project for whenever I get tired of the regular farming and ranking, and it feels much better to go through it all from the beginning than just leeching off of other clans.

As far as I've read though things get more expensive to build as you grow your clans member capacity, so if that's the case you might want to start off with no more than 9 members.

10 hours ago, Mnemonicfall said:

I was wondering whether or not it was worth it to try and create a clan instead of just joining one. Nothing is wrong with joining in my eyes, as I have been a part of 2 different clans till this point, but there has never been any real interaction in those clans. I like the idea of putting in effort to try and find other people to join and building a mini community per say, but with clans come resources and labs. Though building a community sounds great, I would assume no one would want to join if they are told "We currently have nothing to help you, but we are good people at least". I guess it comes down to whether or not it is worth it to create a clan knowing the resources it will take to run it smoothly. Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

I'm building my own clan over on PS4, from scratch, on a new account.  It's taking a lot of time and resources but I've managed to do about half the research on my own in the last month. (Again, on a new account)

When you get started, it's a lot of waiting.  You have long build times for every initial piece but once you get past the first two or three core research items, it gets moving pretty fast. 

I'm finding it to be fairly rewarding, honestly.  If you do choose to make your own clan, I strongly suggest using the dojo planner and working out a base design before committing - build times are long and parent/child structuring is annoying when it's time for a redesign. 

https://dojoplanner.stom66.co.uk

For my dojo I used a downward elevator and put all the essential rooms like reactors in the basement.  No one interacts with them and it really tightened up the floor plan.  I used a lot of cross connectors to give myself room to expand in the future. 

9 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

1 word: Hema.

Join a clan.

This is a good point but it’s also what sets the bar for what someone wants from starting a new clan.

If you WANT the experience of starting something from scratch, being the person responsible for why this room is here and not there, knowing the pain of grinding the Hema and Tower White Pigments research, the glory of watching you clan slowly become a family - then start a clan. It’s been the best experience I have had playing warframe and I out a lot of time and love into my clan. I spend hours decorating the dojo to be a place that’s awe-inspiring and relaxing for my mates and it feels great when people compliment the dojo decor. It feels great meeting new players and slowly bringing quality players into the clan and seeing them all get along well and weeding out trolls who sneak their way in. 

I used to be a part of a clan and worked my way up the ranks, I used to believe the clan was strong and had good people. I tried to defend that environment and moderate chat, but it was never fun and ruined the game for me for awhile. I never saw any real appreciation for that and always had to deal with bad beef from others. 

You can join a clan but you face joining an environment you might not like, or you might join one that’s amazing. 

You can start your clan and make it the place you want, but it’s gonna take more work and a lot of responsibility to do it well.

In the end, you’re just weighing what it is you really want from the experience.

If you don't mind the time and resources I'd recommend it. 

My son and his friend started a clan and when I started playing in Aug I reorganized and rebuilt the layout then started labs and research. About 3/4 of the way through the research and our clan has grown to about 15 and it grew organically; we all chat and give advice and have become friends. People DO want to join small starting clans!

Definitely improved my Warframe experience.

I have a private clan and if I had to do it all over again  I would do it the same way then too.

No drama, politics, crazy rules, and etc.

But, if you want to have a clan with a specific culture and tone I would say look around for the closest fits before attempting to build one yourself just to save on a headache.

Absent that, build with the knowledge that it will take quite a while.

We really need better lfg and clanfinder tools...especially given how some clan only items seem to be positioned for access.

Dragon Keys, Archwing Launcher, Hema research, Ignis Wraith research, Archwing research, certain frames...It's a bit of a headache to think about how onerous some of these things are to acquire in this game for the newer player due to dojo research requirements.

...Not to mention that almost the entirety of what is donated to clans from players comes from voluntary donations from a rather small percentage of players in each clan.

I have a solo clan - again, like everything else I try to do solo in this game, I do it just to see if I could, because I like testing my stubbornness.

My recommendations: make sure you have a big stack of resources, and at least 20 Formas. Also, plan out your Dojo before going in; having to demolish an entire floor to start over was a pain.

Other than that, it's no biggie, certain high-requirement researches aside.

14 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

1 word: Hema.

Join a clan.

2u7aa69.png

Boom.

(It's an old pic I took for a forum sig, before the new UI. Couldn't be bothered getting a new one for this post.)

Like I said, I'm stubborn, and enjoy having my stubbornness tested.

Edited by KnossosTNC

I can recommend rolling your own clan, it was fun for me.  However, you should know what you're getting into.  These are the current resource totals for completing research:

Alloy Plate 91900
Antiserum Injector Fragment 600
Argon Crystal 3
Atmo Systems 1
Axidrol Alloy 10
Circuits 14390
Control Module 43
Credits 1145800
Cryotic 40850
Detonite Ampule 3490
Detonite Injector 14
Ferrite 188700
Fieldron 14
Fieldron Sample 3264
Gallium 68
Gorgaricus Spore 5
Gyromag Systems 1
Kuva 400
Morphics 67
Mutagen Mass 14
Mutagen Sample 5565
Nano Spores 164300
Neural Relay 1
Neural Sensors 9
Neurodes 131
Nitain Extract 19
Orokin Cell 4
Oxium 20010
Plastids 60090
Polymer Bundle 151100
Repeller Systems 1
Rotoblade 1
Rubedo 39742
Salvage 285510
Synthula 12
Tellurium 26
Thermal Sludge 5
Travocyte Alloy 10
Void Traces 4

Notable bottlenecks are Mutagen Samples, Cryotic, Oxium, and Polymer Bundles, in that order.

The best option if you wish to make a clan in the early times keep it small. A ghost clan is often better than any other clans because 10 active person can achieve a lot because on that level the easiest to research, build and improve your dojo. When you finished most of the researches and improved and decorated your clan dojo then you can increase it into larger ones and try to recruit persons with the same playstyle and likemind.

The current system is not favorable to clans except you are in a clan which full of friends "real life or internet" like me with my real life friends. That helps a lot when you know the others and no need to strict the others because you not trust to them. The only problem is beyond trading and research the clan "making" is a hard task because there are very few stuffs which helps to keep your clan members interested because the dojo duels and obstacles are not really interesting beyond a point. If you could announce mini tournaments, do some giveaways to help your fellow members or just do events which forge a good clan and give a good atmosphere then you can achieve this. Currently there is nothing official addition which helps this case so you can use discord, steam or whatever to announce mini challenges and invite your clan members to events. 

If the devs improving the social aspect of the dojos and add maybe tournaments or the kingpin system which meant to add clan challenges and some difficulity then making a clan would be more viable. 

• Like 3

I am a Clan of One.

Yes, Hema was the last to get researched, but overall, it's not that bad. I did trade for Ignis Wraith as I started my clan after it was no longer possible to get that research.

My advise is to do some planing on the actual layout of your Dojo. There are some builder websites out there to help in this. That way, you make sure you have enough reactor rooms, and don't build yourself into a blind spot with nowhere to go without tearing down rooms and rebuilding them all over.

The building of the Dojo is the easiest. Research next in line. Hardest is decorating by yourself. If you have the artistic eye to make those wonderful sculptures that are showcased, then you are set. If not, plan to have a sparsely decorated area. Though, if like me, you are the only one there, decorating is just icing that you don't -have- to have.

Edited by Ryim_Drykeon

16 hours ago, Mnemonicfall said:

I was wondering whether or not it was worth it to try and create a clan instead of just joining one.

Depends on how fast you intend to get research up and running, I have a solo clan myself on switch and I've got almost everything in the tenno and energy labs researched or available to be researched, along with an operational chem and bio lab.

Unless you have some forma stocked up it can take a few weeks to get a full setup built since you need to wait on forma and rooms, though if you get a good tempo going on building rooms and forma you can have the basics built in about a week or two. Research is 3 days for most things, but if you focus on the prerequisite tech first you'll have access to everything before too long.

Though I had my PC progress transferred over so I had plenty of mats to work with, so it likely took less time for me than somebody newer.

Only long term issue you may have is getting a good setup for the rest of the dojo, mine thankfully fell into a "starship" style with it being one long hallway with the observatory at the front to emulate a ship's bridge, but I did that after my research setup was built.

2 hours ago, Buff00n said:

I can recommend rolling your own clan, it was fun for me.  However, you should know what you're getting into.  These are the current resource totals for completing research:

Alloy Plate 91900
Antiserum Injector Fragment 600
Argon Crystal 3
Atmo Systems 1
Axidrol Alloy 10
Circuits 14390
Control Module 43
Credits 1145800
Cryotic 40850
Detonite Ampule 3490
Detonite Injector 14
Ferrite 188700
Fieldron 14
Fieldron Sample 3264
Gallium 68
Gorgaricus Spore 5
Gyromag Systems 1
Kuva 400
Morphics 67
Mutagen Mass 14
Mutagen Sample 5565
Nano Spores 164300
Neural Relay 1
Neural Sensors 9
Neurodes 131
Nitain Extract 19
Orokin Cell 4
Oxium 20010
Plastids 60090
Polymer Bundle 151100
Repeller Systems 1
Rotoblade 1
Rubedo 39742
Salvage 285510
Synthula 12
Tellurium 26
Thermal Sludge 5
Travocyte Alloy 10
Void Traces 4

Notable bottlenecks are Mutagen Samples, Cryotic, Oxium, and Polymer Bundles, in that order.

This is oddly helpful, thank you.

• Like 1

As a long-time clan owner - it isn't really worth it, in my opinion. Since anyone can make a clan, there's TONS of people trying to do what you are, and you need something special (which usually works out to Ignis Wraith and/or full research) to stand out. If you go for it, be prepared to do everything resource-related on your own.

People are getting the wrong idea about what OP was asking. At least the core gist of it. The idea of creating a small, tight knit community. 

Problem with creating communities or such groups is that they can't be created. Not with any sane attempt, at least. In those cases it requires one or two charismatic core individuals who drive the entire endeavor, around who the whole thing circles. It can forge into a lasting, strong group, but that is rare. If one or all of those core individuals fall away, the entire thing just, scatters. But with enough hard work and dedication, you could imprint enough of the members together to make something longer lasting. 

Best way, is to simply start finding fellow players to play with both in this game, and other games. Leave the talk of clans at the back, something that isn't the core drive. Basically if there already isn't a group of close friends and allies, forcing one to exist will require a monumental task that has to be babysat constantly. 

Edited by Lakais
  • Like 1