The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is DE playing stalker mode ? Edit: DE is putting in an Opt-out so chill

Joe_Barbarian

40 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Can't wait to leave the mission as soon as Stalker spawns just to inflict aHost Migration / Connection Lost to anyone using this Stalker Mode if it ever makes it live. :smile:

You do know that in this mode, Stalker can attack anyone and only need a one kill and then he leaves. The number of lives you have is 4 to 6 or you just go down if you're playing as a team. I don't see what the big deal is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voltage said:

I am certain DE will disable interaction with objectives. The point of Stalker is to assassinate a player, nothing else. Nobody will enable stalker mode if another user can completely ruin a mission. Everyone can agree that it would be extremely toxic to do that, and DE knows that.

I agree with your statement about how the purpose of Stalker is assassination, and not clownish griefing, but to be perfectly honest...dude, I’m not sure that DE themselves agree. Clownish griefing and attacking objectives is what they themselves seem to use it for, and we see that quite clearly in their streams.

• Like 1

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

I agree with your statement about how the purpose of Stalker is assassination, and not clownish griefing, but to be perfectly honest...dude, I’m not sure that DE themselves agree. Clownish griefing and attacking objectives is what they themselves seem to use it for, and we see that quite clearly in their streams.

WELL, Lore wise space mom abandoned us and we're about to go to war with her, so for [DE] Rebecca to come into our missions as stalker just to mess with us, well kind of fits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

knowing the warframe community, there will be riots when they release it with objective interaction. at the very worst, we'll probably have to deal with it for a week. maybe over the weekend. 

think something along the lines of a runescape riot. like when they screwed up trading. DE can't afford to take a player hit like that, especially in morale.

4 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

WELL, Lore wise space mom abandoned us and we're about to go to war with her, so for [DE] Rebecca to come into our missions as stalker just to mess with us, well kind of fits.

That’s still pretty dumb though. “Here comes Stalker! He’s gonna ignore me because he’s not actually here to fight, he’s gonna waste my time and make me extract early! Such tortured angst and savage violence!”

Much better to just make Stalker unable to interact with anything other than the target. Nicely streamlines the mode.

Edit: For the record, I do think that just instantly disconnecting the moment a Stalker invasion starts is a bit of a childish overreaction, and is not perfectly fair to the other players. However, if one proposes punishing anyone who host migrates rather than putting up with a Stalker invasion, then what must come with that is careful monitoring and ruthless punishment for anyone who even looks like they’re using Stalker mode to grief.

Edited by BornWithTeeth
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

I don't get this hostility against the Stalker mode. And not because I think it would be hilariously fun (at both ends), but because at the end of the day, it changes nothing, fighting against a player controlled Stalker. 

If you are full geared up, you'll cheese it anyway. If you are leveling a load of unranked stuff, even the bot can turn you into a pile of ash.

And I'm sure they'll introduce a system that won't allow trolling.

Exactly.

I read this forum a lot and to me it seems like some players developed a very deep emotional bond with this game and treat it as their own. Any change that is not in line with their perceived "correct" direction of development is taken very personally.

It's very weird :).

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

I don't get this hostility against the Stalker mode. And not because I think it would be hilariously fun (at both ends), but because at the end of the day, it changes nothing, fighting against a player controlled Stalker. 

If you are full geared up, you'll cheese it anyway. If you are leveling a load of unranked stuff, even the bot can turn you into a pile of ash.

And I'm sure they'll introduce a system that won't allow trolling.

Sure, let's cheese this when I'm alone(Assuming Stalkers can join Solo mode)

Opt out or Riot. Simple.

We're not forcing PvE on PvP, so don't force PvP on us PvE players. If we wanted it, we'd go play conclave, and by looking at how any players play Conclave, I don't think many people want to.

EDIT: I've been playing WF for 4 years, so one could assume I'm able to fight another player relatively easely. Wrong. I'm using a controller, and I know I'm not the only one. This little detail gives us a huge disadvantage in terms of PvP (mostly mobility and aim speed) even against bad players (the reason why I don't play Conclave is 70% because I can't seem to kill a guy MR2 jumping around like a mad man with a simple Braton, no matter what loadout I try.)

I'm not going to change the way I play just because people want to play as Stalker, but I don't want to be launched in a lost fight everytime one arrive. That's why (along other reasons that were presented many time in other threads, might wanna do a research) there must be an opt out option. 

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, -AiLuoLi- said:

Sure, let's cheese this when I'm alone(Assuming Stalkers can join Solo mode)

Players in Solo mode can pause the game and cannot be directly joined. So...if DE change that and make it so that a Solo can’t be paused any more, just for the sake of Stalker mode, then people will have an absolute right to be pissed off with them.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Not chickening, I'm just hating everything that is PvP related, and everyone who will be playing Stalker Mode is probably some loser hoping to get free kills on low MR newcomers, or trolls trying to destroy Defense objectives.

And that'll be my very personal way of telling DE they really didn't need to bring PvP in this PvE-only wonderful game that is Warframe. PvP is toxic and some bullS#&$ like that can only bring this game down without bringing anything positive (as you said, it can't even transform Stalker into a challenge).

^ more toxic than 90% of the conclave players i've met.. but hey, you do you!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

So last night we had a stalker that completely ignored the normal routine of: come in make the magic ball go slap someone in the face. He started to parkour around the map not chasing a player and all 4 of us got the same pop up stalker message. It was unnatural behaviour, it looked like it was player controlled, so unless stalker has finally changed things up I'm suspecting DE is literally playing with us.

yea they been doing that couple meme...last time this started from they went and help a player to take down a boss and end up well..getting the stalker nickname "Space Dad" 🤣 why they think he be nice space dad for that joke.  Littery sometime the twitch ppl suggested to do funny things to help the player and causing stalker being the 5th wheel with extra pack power.  At least he isn't going appeared on the ship for while, if I control the stalker I will treated like every other else it would be...just treated like a dark soul concept.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Players in Solo mode can pause the game and cannot be directly joined. So...if DE change that and make it so that a Solo can’t be paused any more, just for the sake of Stalker mode, then people will have an absolute right to be pissed off with them.

Besides that I would assume (did not research the stalker mode that much) that the Stalker will not be on a level playing field like players in Conclave.

3 minutes ago, breakdafunk said:

Besides that I would assume (did not research the stalker mode that much) that the Stalker will not be on a level playing field like players in Conclave.

true.

*edit*

Tenshin would of come in and kick the stalker out of his game. Yet again the stalker only can appeared when the players are playing missions only.

Edited by ChaoticEdge

14 minutes ago, krekireftw said:

knowing the warframe community, there will be riots when they release it with objective interaction. at the very worst, we'll probably have to deal with it for a week. maybe over the weekend. 

think something along the lines of a runescape riot. like when they screwed up trading. DE can't afford to take a player hit like that, especially in morale.

The community: Man, it’s pretty trolly that Stalker can sabotage missions by attacking objectives, and also is it a good idea for the Stalker attacker to be completely anonymous?

DE: This is going to be amazing! You guys have no idea how great an idea this is!

[Later....]

DE: There was no possible way for anyone to have predicted that this mode might be used for griefing. It literally never occurred to anyone that this might work out badly. Not one person saw this coming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, breakdafunk said:

The exact mechanics have not been discussed, although they do intend for Dread to be buffed so that a headshot will be a kill right away.

Yeah, just in case you didn’t know, the mode has always been trialed using old Stalker, not Shadow Stalker, which is probably for the best, cos Shadow Stalker is a scrub.

41 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

the Stalker will likely be a PvP-guy trying to annoy honest people just trying to have fun. I'm not considering this guy as a "player", just an "annoyance" like an Ancient Healer or something.

Let me ask you - you are playing Dark Souls in offline mode, aren't you?

I would actaully LOVE to be invaded by player controlled Stalker, because nowadays AI Stalker vaporises the second he appears. Having a potentially creative enemy who isn't burdened by AI limitatios would be fun in my book.

And I hope DE doesn't remove the abiity to destroy mission objectives. It will give invading player another leg-up in 1v4 scenario. Hell, DE even can incorporate mission type changes that make sense (MD to Spy for example as both are about "extracting sensitive data") with change trigger being Stalker destroying the objective.

So pls, if you don't want this mode to be in the game - support the idea of "opt in/opt out" structure for this invasions.

And yes, "fun" is a subjective term 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, HorridaMessor said:

Let me ask you - you are playing Dark Souls in offline mode, aren't you?

I don't play Dark Souls so I'm not sure to get your analogy here, but I guess I can reply that if I want to play a PvP mode, then I'll play... a PvP mode, not a PvE mode with maybe someone who will come in my mission trying to annoy me.

I have no problem with AI Stalker. I'll have a problem with Player Stalker. And not because of challenge, I like PvE challenge and hate PvP as a whole (even if I have the possibility to one-shot a newbie in any game, I won't, because I dislike it and can actually show empathy, unlike PvP players).

The opt-in opt-out function will never make it live because it is the admittance that their game mode encourages grieving. Either this mode doesn't make it live, or it does without opt-out possibility.

You're already the second guy trying to taunt me about "chickening". Guess that's what a partially-PvP-mode in a PvE game will bring. Sigh.

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

I don't play Dark Souls so I'm not sure to get your analogy here, but I guess I can reply that if I want to play a PvP mode, then I'll play... a PvP mode, not a PvE mode with maybe someone who will come in my mission trying to annoy me.

I have no problem with AI Stalker. I'll have a problem with Player Stalker. And not because of challenge, I like PvE challenge and hate PvP as a whole (even if I have the possibility to one-shot a newbie in any game, I won't, because I dislike it and can actually show empathy, unlike PvP players).

The opt-in opt-out function will never make it live because it is the admittance that their game mode encourages grieving. Either this mode doesn't make it live, or it does without opt-out possibility.

You're already the second guy trying to taunt me about "chickening". Guess that's what a partially-PvP-mode in a PvE game will bring. Sigh.

I sympathise, but I’d also ask you to please avoid making backhanded comments about the ability of folks who like PvP to feel empathy. That’s not fair to the majority of folks who enjoy Conclave matches and might use Stalker mode as an engaging challenge.

I do find it annoying when advocates for Stalker mode seem to be unwilling to consider the possibility of anyone just not wanting the same thing from the game as them, but getting frustrated and making insulting comments ain’t gonna help.

By now, a lot of folks agree that giving the mode an opt in/out will solve almost all issues. I’m actually pretty firmly of the opinion that Stalker mode would work out just fine if it were optional, because I do think enough people would opt in. I would.

Edited by BornWithTeeth
  • Like 5

you should have shown them the almighty power of one of the meta weapons. they want to test and gather data? gather the buckshot from my Tigris Prime, no matter what Stalker mode turns out like there will be weapons that can totally shut him down in an instant. so if you want to play stalker mode and actually get a kill, you need:

- somebody to have their opt out set to "on", which i reckon not all that many people will do, at least not if they are trying to farm things and such.

- the host will need to have a good connection, good luck with that.

- the host and anyone else in the squad to not be using meta weapons

only if all these criteria are met, would you be able to even have a chance at getting a kill on a player. to me this seems like a lot of hassle just to say "hur dur I got you" and that's without going into underhanded tactics like hiding in corners and ambushing players, things the AI stalker wouldn't do; all I see here is a means to terrorize newbies and gather salt, and we already have plenty of that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, --Q--KycklingFTW said:

lol how are you this toxic against pvp players, youve been nothing but an ass towards people who enjoy pvp this whole thread, yet you keep preaching about how toxic THEY are. 
I dont know what kind of experience you have with pvp, if any. but i can tell you this much. The pvp and pve player base aint that different when it comes to toxicity... and you my good sir, is a mighty fine example of the toxicity on the pve side of warframe.

"Those who shout the loudest, usually have the most to hide."

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, --Q--KycklingFTW said:

lol how are you this toxic against pvp players, youve been nothing but an ass towards people who enjoy pvp this whole thread, yet you keep preaching about how toxic THEY are. 
I dont know what kind of experience you have with pvp, if any. but i can tell you this much. The pvp and pve player base aint that different when it comes to toxicity... and you my good sir, is a mighty fine example of the toxicity on the pve side of warframe.

In my first post I was not being toxic. I just explained that I will just use my rights to leave the game whenever this program decides that my "PvE mission" will randomly transform into a "PvP mission" without my agreement. As far as I know, I'm still the owner of my computer and of my time, if I decide this "new game mode" doesn't suit my plans, I'm perfectly right to just leave, or will you send the police to arrest me ?

Then, I was attacked by people who feel superior, telling me I'm "chickening" (because they're obviously better than me ? Maybe, don't know, don't care) and "guessing I play Dark Soul in offline mode" (whatever this means). That escalated afterwards ? Probably. Did I initiate it ? Nope. People were just too sensitive about someone informing them he will "disconnect".

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

In Dark Souls franchise you can be invaded by other players for PvP at completely random points of the game if you are online.

AI Stalker is not even a challenge this days - he is essentially a trash mob players oneshot the moment he appears.

PvP =/= griefing. Hell, I can troll my entire squad by picking up datamass in MD and buggering off to some random remote place on the map - that would be griefing. Invading someone and using any means necessary to beat your enemy is not griefing.

"hate PvP as a whole" - thats the point that causes problems. You are in a mode "This should not exist because I don't like it", while you should be in a mode "Let me opt out of it and were cool". Stop being entitled and try to understand that other people might like different things.

Thats why I'm advocating for "opt in/out". You don't want to be invaded? - Opt out (same thing as playing offline/hollowed in Dark Souls).

And btw, it should be set to "opt out" by default imho. 

• Like 4

I actually thought it'd be pretty funny if the stalker spawned in and started setting off alarms during spys, playing hide and seek with a data mass during Mobile Ds, going for the Defense objective, wasting life support in survival, guarding the capture Target. That would be a riot for sure. Lol 😂🤣😂 course that would also add another level of complexity too. tenor.gif

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82