Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you feel about Hildryn?

Xaxma

47 minutes ago, SoulEchelon said:

Eh I kinda disagree. She's the perfect shield tank and has a very powerful support ability that can make a whole squad tanky. Her 4 creates energy orbs every few seconds off of any enemies caught in it while also CCing them. If you stay close to the ground, the range is pretty far. She also has great sustain and can strip (or at least damage) shields and armor while instantly maxing her own. Couple all that with shield gating that renews whenever your shield hits max again and you got yourself a very viable warframe.

I don't think she's bad, but I still agree she's average. Especially to play. Aegis storm only rewards teams for being slow because it takes too long to spawn 25 energy. Removing your ability to fight back without using bale fire is just not ideal, even worse if you dislike balefire and don't want to invest into it. The fact it slows you to a crawl is just the worst. I also take umbrage with having ability benefits bound to pick ups. I don't see what's wrong with trinity or harrows form of energy regen where it's granted regardless, but that's just me.

So what else is there? armor strip. Great! Legitimately great. Wish I didn't have to cast it as much even with good duration but hey. Then your third ability. Giving people a ton of shields and shield gating is good, but does little under sustained fire where they can't get their shields back to max easily as regen is constantly being blocked. It's absolutely insane if you can find someone with guardian on their sentinel/moa. But what does it do for you? nothing really. It deals bad damage and ends up draining more because of the enemy drain while imparting no actual benefit to yourself. I can't think of a single warframe where you have a buff that doesn't benefit yourself in any way. 

For the time I used hildryn I ended up pressing 3 and forgetting about it, then pressing two every 5 seconds just to make sure it's always up to combat some of the high drain and so I'm caught with no shields and no pillage out. I'd occasionally use her 4th along with balefire but it's got quite the drain and requires me to land to use pillage again. It's a flow that is inconvenient and dull. While it has decent effectiveness, if most of what you do either does nothing for you or doesn't feel great I can't blame people for thinking she's not great to play. 

Keep in mind, these days even average is enough for most content.

Edited by Annnoth

3 minutes ago, Annnoth said:

I don't think she's bad, but I still agree she's average. Especially to play. Aegis storm only rewards teams for being slow because it takes too long to spawn 25 energy. Removing your ability to fight back without using bale fire is just not ideal, even worse if you dislike balefire and don't want to invest into it. The fact it slows you to a crawl is just the worst. I also take umbrage with having ability benefits bound to pick ups. I don't see what's wrong with trinity or harrows form of energy regen where it's granted regardless, but that's just me.

So what else is there? armor strip. Great! Legitimately great. Wish I didn't have to cast it as much even with good duration but hey. Then your third ability. Giving people a ton of shields and shield gating is good, but does little under sustained fire where they can't get their shields back to max easily as regen is constantly being blocked. It's absolutely insane if you can find someone with guardian on their sentinel/moa. But what does it do for you? nothing really. It deals bad damage and ends up draining more because of the enemy drain while imparting no actual benefit to yourself. I can't think of a single warframe where you have a buff that doesn't benefit yourself in any way. 

For the time I used hildryn I ended up pressing 3 and forgetting about it, then pressing two every 5 seconds just to make sure it's always up to combat some of the high drain and so I'm caught with no shields and no pillage out. I'd occasionally use her 4th along with balefire but it's got quite the drain and requires me to land to use pillage again. It's a flow that is inconvenient and dull. While it has decent effectiveness, if most of what you do either does nothing for you or doesn't feel great I can't blame people for thinking she's not great to play. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't believe most situations would have anyone under enough sustained fire to the point that they wouldn't try to find some way of escaping before the shield gating ended. And once their shields go back to full they're back to being unstoppable as long as they keep an eye on when the shield gating procs again.

Now I do agree she's in no way perfect, and while I feel Balefire (modded correctly) is a powerful enough weapon to be used during her 4, I do agree (as stated above) that it's not the most enjoyable weapon. Again, if it was a grenade launcher or perhaps a version of the Larkspur's alternate fire, I'd love it. All that said, I like a frame with a good balance while also having a set role. Hildryn seems to be an off tank/support. And while yes, you do need to keep an eye on her shields for her abilities, I enjoy the give and take that needs to be always kept in mind while using her.

Of course there are multiple ways of alleviating that burden, like certain Arcanes (which are a pain to get, yes), companion buffs, shield regen mods, etc. I feel Adaptation is a must with her so you're less worried about shields being damaged and more about how much of it you're using as a resource. But I can't agree that she's "Average". At worst, she does her set role extremely well and her unique ability set and passives make her quite a bit different on their own.

2 hours ago, Renginus said:

or if you go against infested change your build for more hp and toxin resist ? also she has that 2

Lol, that's not about infested, it's about helminth and the mandatory wait 1 week to remove that lump on your neck.

Has been a lot of fun to play, really the only thing i can quible about is that you have to activate Balefire in Aegis. Really feel it should come out as part of the ability and then you choose if you want fire from the sky as its easy to get going in the middle of combat and wonder why your not a floating fortress of destruction because you forgot to press One as well as Four.

• Like 2

Currently my issue is how her release has been handled. More or less its expected for it to take a week to have the community go off and find these little tablets doted across almost random and esoteric locations. For all we know it could take 2 or 3 weeks as once a player scans them they can not contribute again. If it takes to long and interest falls off there is a chance that it could never be completed and while sad, I would find it hilarious. locking frames behind quests, a boss, or standing is understandable but locking one behind something that a player would have little agency in how fast it they can work to it is a pour choice. Hildryn looks like she will be fun but this is a major sour note. and even though there was a lot that came with the event it all kinda seems like camouflage for this kind of setup.

That being said I have a lot of interest in playing as her and seeing how mods interact with her. I will not be buying her and or her cosmetics due to the above. And though it is not super common I don't feel that players who buy her should be chastised but I also feel that players who want to avoid playing with one do have a moral leg to stand on. It is your plat but it is also their opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Annnoth said:

while imparting no actual benefit to yourself.

It deals damage. But tbh I have to say that I think she could use some reworks. 1 needs slightly more damage especially for charge. 2 needs to last longer and work more consistently (and stack with other shield/armor debuffs). Perhaps also slow enemies (For infested). 3 needs to do more damage to enemies, and perhaps some benefit to hildryn such as you no longer take damage at all with it up. It just drains your shields based on damage taken. Essentially the drain would be less then the damage and function as a base damage reduction of like 30% or something. 4 first and foremost need to make you move at twice you sprint speed. (And effected by mods). Second you should be able to use ranged weapons (obviously not melee) other then 1 key. However perhaps doing so causes it to drain shields faster. So you mostly get the utility of it rather then saving shields. Otherwise people wouldn't use 1 at all in 4. Or perhaps make 1 use no shields while 4 is active. Though that might be too strong. 

30 minutes ago, Velaethia said:

Yeah worthless cause my companions do this. 

I was just mentioning what I currently use as no other auras with a - polarity seem to be useful to her. It's also why I mentioned Pistol Amp and Steel Charge as other options, though I'm unsure if Pistol Amp works with Balefire. I don't see why not, but I've been wrong before. Both V polarities so it'll have to wait until I feel like forma'ing.

3 minutes ago, Velaethia said:

Is everyone sure corrosive aura doesn't stack? Is there evidence? Someone did the math/testing?

They stack with each other so why wouldn't they stack with pillage???? That would be very odd... but DE does odd things all the time. So it's possible. The only way it wouldn't work is if everyone in a team had it on and thus all enemies already have 100% reduced armor and thus no armor. 

On 2019-03-10 at 3:25 AM, Velaethia said:

Why would you pay plat for a frame that you're gonna level and toss? Might as well have just waited to get her for free.

because grinding plat is easy, grinding frames is boring and unrewarding

but, I do think she's good, I like her

On 2019-03-10 at 3:29 AM, Ultimatesoup said:

A very bad impression as the first paywalled Warframe.

so, maybe you new here, you can get plat just by playing game and trading with other people stuff that you get when playing, how exactly it is "paywalled"?

It’s genuinely depresssing reading the dissent and anger in this thread.

Yes, DE is a company. They clearly spent a lot of time and effort on this frame, hundreds of people have likely had input on her. Is it so damn ludicrous that DE might want to charge you for content added into a free to play game? 

Why would any developer put all that work into making a unique warframe, just to add it to an assassination drop pool and basically give it away for free?

If you want the warframe but don’t want to pay, you have to wait less than the time between Baro’s...

...For something that hundreds of people likely spent hundreds of hours making.

It really shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. DE needs to make money, or warframe dies. It’s as simple as that.

They don’t charge you for entry, so you pay to get on the rides 🤷🏻‍♂️

Got a better idea? I’m sure they’d love to hear it. 

Edited by (PS4)Mono-Pop

I currently grind plat when new frame is coming. (I find it way faster)  Ye cant really say its paywall, when the currency can be obtained via gameplay...

As a Mag player I really like Hildryn. It took a while to get used to her skill set, but now I can juggle her skills easy. I mainly use her Balefire as my primary. lol So I have no issue when transitioning to Aegis storm.

I've been soloing the events using her.

Also get Larkspur, that thing is amazing!

Meh. That's my reaction. Don't hate her, don't like her, don't care. I haven't bothered with learning a new frame properly since Nidus came out, and a frame that gets put on her ass if an ancient just breathes her way (yes, that happened while I was leveling her up) ain't gonna change that. I prefer frames whose abilities allow them to deal flashy punishment, not self-centered frames built around their own survival. So I'm hoping Wisp is something like that. But Hyldrin? Meh, don't care. She sits in my collection and gathers dust, just in case DE decides to give her a rework that fits the way I like to play.

5 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

ancient just breathes her way (yes, that happened while I was leveling her up) ain't gonna change that.

You okay bro? That's impossible because of her shield gating. You'd have to lose all your shields to gain a status effect. Course while immortal for 3 seconds after losing shields you should be able to regain them. Especially if you (as highly recommend) have a companion who will fully recharge it. I never die unless I derp and stop paying attention. She's really good at index btw.

1 minute ago, Velaethia said:

You okay bro? That's impossible because of her shield gating. You'd have to lose all your shields to gain a status effect. Course while immortal for 3 seconds after losing shields you should be able to regain them. Especially if you (as highly recommend) have a companion who will fully recharge it. I never die unless I derp and stop paying attention. She's really good at index btw.

It happened mate. 4080 shields at the time, dashed towards a toxic ancient to take it out, it just did its breath attack and knocked her out, shield gate did nothing. Bug or not, it happened.

And as I said, I don't particularly like frames focused on their own survival, so as good as she could be, I don't see myself using her. She just doesn't fit my gameplay style.

3 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

It happened mate. 4080 shields at the time, dashed towards a toxic ancient to take it out, it just did its breath attack and knocked her out, shield gate did nothing. Bug or not, it happened.

And as I said, I don't particularly like frames focused on their own survival, so as good as she could be, I don't see myself using her. She just doesn't fit my gameplay style.

Sounds like a bug, as that has yet to happen to me. Did your shield gate proc already activate before you got hit? You get it back after your shields replenish back to full.

As for focused on her own survival, I highly disagree there. She's an offtank/support, in my opinion.

Shield Pillage cleanses status effects on all allies while debuffing enemies; making it easier for dps oriented frames to nuke them. You can use it to replenish her shields, but all it takes is to re-activate the ability again for teammates to reap the benefits.

Haven straight up sacrifices her shields over time to give shields to her allies. In fact, it works better if you're staying near your team and not near enemies, as her shields drain slower when linked to allies. It's one of the most selfless abilities in the game.

Aegis storm is a CC machine not unlike Vauban's Bastille; rendering enemies helpless. Not only that, it produces energy orbs from enemies periodically for both you and your team. They don't even need to die to drop them.

I'm not sure how you were playing her, and while you can potentially play her "selfishly", she has enough things going on in her kit to make her a very strong support frame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulEchelon said:

Sounds like a bug, as that has yet to happen to me. Did your shield gate proc already activate before you got hit? You get it back after your shields replenish back to full.

As for focused on her own survival, I highly disagree there. She's an offtank/support, in my opinion.

Shield Pillage cleanses status effects on all allies while debuffing enemies; making it easier for dps oriented frames to nuke them. You can use it to replenish her shields, but all it takes is to re-activate the ability again for teammates to reap the benefits.

Haven straight up sacrifices her shields over time to give shields to her allies. In fact, it works better if you're staying near your team and not near enemies, as her shields drain slower when linked to allies. It's one of the most selfless abilities in the game.

Aegis storm is a CC machine not unlike Vauban's Bastille; rendering enemies helpless. Not only that, it produces energy orbs from enemies periodically for both you and your team. They don't even need to die to drop them.

I'm not sure how you were playing her, and while you can potentially play her "selfishly", she has enough things going on in her kit to make her a very strong support frame.

Right, but I'm a solo player, and so her team advantages mean nothing to me. As a solo player, her kit is just focused on her survival, and I don't enjoy that. Frankly, I don't enjoy support frames to begin with, and, as expected, she hasn't changed my mind. There are different players, different play styles, and everyone will have different experiences with her based on that. For me, she's a selfish frame that focuses on her own survival and brings nothing to the battlefield. I don't hate her for that, but she just doesn't fit how I enjoy to play.

Also, I dunno how her shield gate procs, but I definitely didn't run out of shields before. I charged them to overshield with her second ability, then dashed towards the ancient and she just fell down when I got near, so, I dunno what caused it. Could be a bug for sure, either with the ancient or with shield gate.

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Right, but I'm a solo player, and so her team advantages mean nothing to me. As a solo player, her kit is just focused on her survival, and I don't enjoy that. Frankly, I don't enjoy support frames to begin with, and, as expected, she hasn't changed my mind. There are different players, different play styles, and everyone will have different experiences with her based on that. For me, she's a selfish frame that focuses on her own survival and brings nothing to the battlefield. I don't hate her for that, but she just doesn't fit how I enjoy to play.

Also, I dunno how her shield gate procs, but I definitely didn't run out of shields before. I charged them to overshield with her second ability, then dashed towards the ancient and she just fell down when I got near, so, I dunno what caused it. Could be a bug for sure, either with the ancient or with shield gate.

......so you don't like her because she's a support character, but also don't like her because she can potentially focus on her own survival? That...makes zero sense, but you do you.

Edited by SoulEchelon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SoulEchelon said:

potentially play her "selfishly"

Yeah I only do that in Index. Not to say she can't do solo play well. Really good for defense because her shield works on the node. But she plays different solo. Probably don't need 3 up unless there is A LOT of enemies.