Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cetus Fishing Bait Changes are a Mistake

Almagnus1

5 minutes ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

PS4 user here

So I haven't experienced the update yet.

PC users clarify please, does your existing reusable bait blueprint Still work for crafting baits?

or have Existing blueprints been disabled, thus forcing you to buy baits with standing as all the future new players will?

Blueprints still works, BUY IT NOW.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DebrisFlow said:

DE conducted a survey on the appreciation of fishing/mining/k-drive in the two open landscapes. It was on voluntary basis, through a link on the forums. If they changed the bait system from resource-based to standings-based i think is because of the general feedback from that survey. I assume that the majority of who answered preferred a progression based on playing the core warframe game (jumping and killing , bounties) rather than a progression based on farmville activities.

As far as I'm concerned, "poll on the forums" is a pretty bad way of getting a representative view of your playerbase. The forums are not an accurate vertical slice of the community, and the section of the forum-going populace who'd go out of their usual hangout forum to take a survey is even less so. I'm fairly active here and I never heard about such a poll, for one thing. I'd have expected DE to have more reliable means of determining future changes than asking a few random people on the forums or on Reddit. Could they not have linked it to the in-game News console, at least?

On 2019-04-05 at 3:40 AM, Almagnus1 said:

I have zero reason to touch fishing bait again.

With the addition of the Thumpers, you have zero reason to touch fishing as a whole ever again, with the exception of getting the trophies and the occasional NW act, and requiring players to go through the old bait progression just for those would be awful. DE has finally recognized fishing for what it is, a crappy little minigame that shouldn't be anything more than a momentary diversion, and they've accordingly made it almost entirely optional. I for one applaud the change.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

With the addition of the Thumpers, you have zero reason to touch fishing as a whole ever again, with the exception of getting the trophies and the occasional NW act, and requiring players to go through the old bait progression just for those would be awful. DE has finally recognized fishing for what it is, a crappy little minigame that shouldn't be anything more than a momentary diversion, and they've accordingly made it almost entirely optional. I for one applaud the change.

To each their own I guess.

I still don't see why we can't just have both recipes in game, so that way if someone really wants to go fishing, they can do that without tanking their Cetus rep in the process.

Either way, the massive resource drops from the boss just feels... bad, as DE had a good system but they screwed it up >=(

2 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

To each their own I guess.

I still don't see why we can't just have both recipes in game, so that way if someone really wants to go fishing, they can do that without tanking their Cetus rep in the process.

Either way, the massive resource drops from the boss just feels... bad, as DE had a good system but they screwed it up >=(

I disagree. Yeah, the boss resource drop feels like a weird band-aid, but one that was sorely needed. I'm okay with it.

5 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

I disagree. Yeah, the boss resource drop feels like a weird band-aid, but one that was sorely needed. I'm okay with it.

I'm not, it should have stayed event only.

I mean, DE didn't throw us tons of mutagen samples for the Hema, why are they doing it now?

2 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

I'm not, it should have stayed event only.

I mean, DE didn't throw us tons of mutagen samples for the Hema, why are they doing it now?

Because the fishing and mining minigames just aren't very fun. I'm sorry if you're one of the few people who like them, but most people don't. You can still continue playing them if you want, it's not like they've been removed. Just because others are no longer required to suffer through them doesn't mean you can't continue enjoying them.

5 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

With the addition of the Thumpers, you have zero reason to touch fishing as a whole ever again, with the exception of getting the trophies and the occasional NW act, and requiring players to go through the old bait progression just for those would be awful.

You only have to catch a couple fish to make 20 murkray bait which should last through years of nightwaves. It's way easier to do that than to catch any rare fish from fortuna since they are more time limited and show up less often even with bait. Thumpers also mean that the bait grind really doesn't exist anymore since you should have enough parts to craft any bait after killing a couple.

2 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

Because the fishing and mining minigames just aren't very fun. I'm sorry if you're one of the few people who like them, but most people don't. You can still continue playing them if you want, it's not like they've been removed. Just because others are no longer required to suffer through them doesn't mean you can't continue enjoying them.

If no one needs to fish anymore then why did we have to move to a system that is way worse for anyone who likes doing it? Why should new players have to pay 100-200+ rep a minute forever instead of being able to buy a couple blueprints and fish as much as they want?

3 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

What's the point?

As soon as you complete a Cetus bounty you see a Thumper.  If you want to go farm Hildryn, you're going to have so many Fortuna resources that there's little point in doing the Fortuna bounties other than hoping to get mods you don't already have.

Yeah, I know your stance is "good riddance", but what about the tenno (like me) that actually enjoyed this content?  The mass amount of resource drops are so absurdly high from the Thumpers and Exploiter that there is no point in mining or fishing anymore. DE essentially deleted this content with their "give the players all the loot" approach.

1 hour ago, Rogunz said:

If no one needs to fish anymore then why did we have to move to a system that is way worse for anyone who likes doing it? Why should new players have to pay 100-200+ rep a minute forever instead of being able to buy a couple blueprints and fish as much as they want? 

Because getting the materials to craft the baits actually takes way longer than earning the rep to buy them does?

1 hour ago, Almagnus1 said:

Yeah, I know your stance is "good riddance", but what about the tenno (like me) that actually enjoyed this content?

You can continue enjoying it, like I said. Fishing still exists. If you really enjoyed the content, you can continue doing that. If you just enjoyed the rewards, then there's a faster way of obtaining them. I don't see the downside.

4 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Because getting the materials to craft the baits actually takes way longer than earning the rep to buy them does? 

Getting the rep takes way longer, you are forgetting that you craft 20 bait at a time. You're using 2-10x the rep in fish to buy it that it would take to craft it and reducing your daily rep cap by a ton. You can get enough iradiate for 10 dye in less than 30 seconds, getting 1000 rep from bounties/early fishing easily takes 10x as long

30 minutes ago, Rogunz said:

Getting the rep takes way longer, you are forgetting that you craft 20 bait at a time. You're using 2-10x the rep in fish to buy it that it would take to craft it and reducing your daily rep cap by a ton. You can get enough iradiate for 10 dye in less than 30 seconds, getting 1000 rep from bounties/early fishing easily takes 10x as long

I mean, you can walk out the Fortuna Cetus gate, tranq three bunnies, and get like 2k standing in under a minute. If you're fishing for standing, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by SordidDreams

19 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

I mean, you can walk out the Fortuna gate, tranq three bunnies, and get like 2k standing in under a minute. If you're fishing for standing, you're doing it wrong.

With the new update you can buy dye from fortuna with standing?

1 hour ago, SordidDreams said:

You can continue enjoying it, like I said. Fishing still exists. If you really enjoyed the content, you can continue doing that. If you just enjoyed the rewards, then there's a faster way of obtaining them. I don't see the downside.

That kinda doesn't work when you have limited play time (which as weird as this sounds), as it's far more time efficient to just go kill the boss rather than go fishing, despite how fun fishing in Warframe is.  And once I'm through the content, there's zero reason to return back as the loot drops are going to guarantee that I'll have more than enough mats to last me for a very, very long time.

3 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

That kinda doesn't work when you have limited play time (which as weird as this sounds), as it's far more time efficient to just go kill the boss rather than go fishing, despite how fun fishing in Warframe is.  And once I'm through the content, there's zero reason to return back as the loot drops are going to guarantee that I'll have more than enough mats to last me for a very, very long time.

I mean, yeah. Why would you not want that? Like I said, I don't see the downside. I thought you said you fished because it was fun, and you can still 100% do that.

I had to read up on the fishing chain. Get some info for it. So long as these resources I could obtain were also linked to a mechanic that needs some looking up first to get the  idea, I REALLY dont mind figuring out the chain of fish you need to catch to get to a specific tier of fish...

Compare it to Fortuna. I looked into the shop of some identity-cleansed person that fortuna tries to sell me as a war hero when all he does is instruct me how to sniff poop more efficiently and how to do weird things to toasters floating in liquids that appear to be jelly.

At least in PoE I spent some time to figure out a system. When I get back to Fisher Hai-whatever, I know I loathe her voice enough to mute my PC for a few seconds, because I have a personal connection to her. But the Biz? I just Nothing him... As far as I am concerned, he and any other farm-turnin-point is trying to grasp my attention, dont really exist. And safe for Zuud, nobody ever left a mark. I just skim over content and breeze through the gates, not ever giving two Biz-fetish-waypoints about the NPC that I just talked to.

1 hour ago, SordidDreams said:

I mean, yeah. Why would you not want that? Like I said, I don't see the downside. I thought you said you fished because it was fun, and you can still 100% do that.

I gotta be intentional with my play time, as I need to balance what's fun with what's making progress... which generally means fishing gets bumped down to when I need the resources and as I'm only really running the bounties to try and get Eidolon Lens blueprints I think you can see where this is going....

I haven't managed to get any fishing BP outside the most basic one and I don't miss it, the chain of get fish A to get fish B which will get you C but you need fish D to get fish D was a mess that kept me from able to advance on it without spending huge time on it.

The BP's should be avaliable on top of being able to buy the bait with cetus reputation that way you could buy the bait until you get up to the rank you need to buy the BP if you wish to do so. It only seems fair really, them baits are expensive and buying them will slow down rep gain a fair bit...

• Like 1