Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to Frost?

TenzoZero

Frost, defense tank and cool CC, i remember claiming vanilla frost from the foundry and still have no clue whats that frost prime blueprint everyone got was for, back then it was simple frost stuff but recently i tried to play him a bit in sorties , defense and non defense missions, all resulted in the same ending, 1 revive or no revives left at the end of the mission, everytime i step out of my bubble or didnt avalanche fast enough im dead i thought damn is Frost a low tier now? or am i out of touch with him? that said, care to share builds and playstyles in this thread?

tl;dr : How do you guys play Frost?

Here's my general Frost build focusing on self defense, globe and avalanche 

aJXkYPB.jpg

I mainly use him for Avalanche, with augment, because his Globe is still pretty good that way and there's CC and better buffs. However, on high level defenses, I use a globe-based build, with augment as well, and much stronger globe. I also have a "2nd ability"-based build, but I never use it. So range and strenght on the first one, but survivability mods and strenght on the second one, to buff globe as much as possible.

Frost is not one of my most used frames, however, since I rarely play content that actually makes me say "I'll have to take Frost for this one", and I like to goof around with as much frame and weapon variety as possible on all kinds of content.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

1 minute ago, TenzoZero said:

still one shotted tho ...

Ah, I guess the problem lies on how you play Frost. Personally, I don't bring him for general usage. Just on def/mobile def missions and sometimes interception. Because that's where he's good at.

But if you really want to use frost all the time, I suggest you get Magus Elevate (operator arcane) x2 so that you wouldn't have problem about survivability since it has a chance to restore 200 health if you go operator. So when you put 2 u can gain as much as 400 health by just going into operator. This is what I do whenever I want to use a frame everywhere.

Globe is duration agnostic and feeds from armor and strength, so triple Umbral mods helps loads - also pushes your HP further.

tTP9afq.png

Needs an Umbral Forma, though. Can't wait for NW Ep2. You can replace Reach with R4 Stretch, for +7.5% range, but you'd drop some EnergyToShields conversion.

cAOVjUo.png

Edited by Ced23Ric

Looks like my fellow Tenno have already covered most of the builds I was going to suggest for better survivability. I will say that it sounds more like a play-style issue if you’re getting “one shotted” with that much health and armor. Maybe try slapping on Adaptation over Armored Agility or perhaps a Quick Thinking + Flow/Primed Flow build may help. Otherwise I’d try out a Icy Avalanche or Ice Wave Impedance build if you want to be more aggressive with your abilities while still being relatively hard to kill.

Edited by FrostPrime

I always found frost really niche tbh. if you went for an armor striping build there are a lot of frames who can perform that better. if you went for a frost globe build, it falls off at higher levels and you end up relying on the initial 3-4 seconds of invulnerability which ends up being a boring and tedious play style. also, limbo exists which is a more freeing playstyle because you get a lot more time to go out and kill stuff before you need to recast. if you go for a widespread cc build a lot of frames that can do it better without making the enemies immune to status procs.

if you enjoy the frame you do you, but you have to realize that there is probably a better option for whatever play style you play.

Firstly Frost P and Saryn P are my two favorite frames.

For Frost I have Vitality, Redirection, Armored Agility and Primed Flow and the rest is a strength build (no chilling globe either).  His globe to lock down an area and his 4 to armor strip if Im getting over run or need to take out a high level enemy or group.  He is pretty tanky but for me I need all the help I can get so Im not 1 shotted.  I cannot over state how good his 4 is.  Im also running and jumping around like a squirrel right before winter.  

Edited by hendrix923

I use frost for everything , it's my main since 2014.

Unlike a too big % of players i use all my skill.

My frost was forma x5 cuz in the past we didnt have alternate skin and gold wasn't able to be colorized , and like i don't like gold part i've forma my defaut frost instead using the prime.

Yesterday i take the decision to force myself to see gold icycle in the ice wave for a bit of armor , but i wish we'll be able to remove that/change color or these additional "prime icycle".

On 2019-05-10 at 7:29 PM, stormy505 said:

I always found frost really niche tbh. if you went for an armor striping build there are a lot of frames who can perform that better. if you went for a frost globe build, it falls off at higher levels and you end up relying on the initial 3-4 seconds of invulnerability which ends up being a boring and tedious play style. also, limbo exists which is a more freeing playstyle because you get a lot more time to go out and kill stuff before you need to recast. if you go for a widespread cc build a lot of frames that can do it better without making the enemies immune to status procs.

if you enjoy the frame you do you, but you have to realize that there is probably a better option for whatever play style you play.

If built correctly the status immunity doesnt matter, because everything dies to 1 shot of whatever you are carrying after avalanche lands. And since it can be spammed with the right build everything will always be frozen without any armor and die to a sneeze. You simply make sure to carry a corrosive+heat weapon at all times and you are set versus all factions.

Snowglobe also scales to 1mil HP, so you can easily get it to work in high level content without much fuzz. For me with an avalanche build 10 casts equals around 90k health on it, that is without added bonus health from the invulnerability phase(s).

I'm a big hipster and use Ice Wave Impedance Frost.

Build

Defense (Vitality and Steel Fiber)

Duration 179% (P. Con and Augur Messgae)

Range (Stretch and Augur Reach)

Streamline, Ice Wave Impedance Aug, Endurance Drift for a little extra Power in the Exilus. Aura can be whatever.

Gameplay

Cover as much ground as you can with Ice Wave. Enemies' movements and attacks are slowed down so much that they're barely a threat. That's pretty much it. Use Globe for cover when you need it, Avalanche for when Avalanche feels right, Freeze as a cheap disabling of single targets.

16 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

I'm a big hipster and use Ice Wave Impedance Frost.

Build

Defense (Vitality and Steel Fiber)

Duration 179% (P. Con and Augur Messgae)

Range (Stretch and Augur Reach)

Streamline, Ice Wave Impedance Aug, Endurance Drift for a little extra Power in the Exilus. Aura can be whatever.

Gameplay

Cover as much ground as you can with Ice Wave. Enemies' movements and attacks are slowed down so much that they're barely a threat. That's pretty much it. Use Globe for cover when you need it, Avalanche for when Avalanche feels right, Freeze as a cheap disabling of single targets.

Honestly I feel that Ice Wave Impedance is Frost’s best and scaleable build in-game. It’s great, cheap CC. Very simple, but it’s effective. And Ice Wave doesn’t prevent stat procs which is a huge boon.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

Honestly I feel that Ice Wave Impedance is Frost’s best and scaleable build in-game. It’s great, cheap CC. Very simple, but it’s effective. And Ice Wave doesn’t prevent stat procs which is a huge boon.

As I said previously, the status immunity only becomes an issue if you build poorly for avalanche i.e having what you think is an avalanche build when it isnt.

Build 1: Strength to reach 100% armor strip and still maintain decent duration and good range. Backed up by either a high energy pool or maxed efficiency. I prefer maxed efficiency since it increases spam potential at the cost of duration. 6 seconds of freeze is enough for me.

Build 2. Decent strength, high range build for the augment. Duration should be as low as possible to not interfear with the mission. Nothing is worse than an augmented build that has neutral or positive bonus to duration. It just turns the game into a crawl. And it is all ok to dump duration, because no skill is effected by it really aside from the freeze on avalanche.

Have you heard of Adaptation????

If you want to globe, play limbo, if you want to avalanche, play Saryn/Nova, solved.

I was looking for a Warframe for excavation on Arbitration, then remembered of Frost that I didn't play, did this build for globe:

7PmpvV9.jpg

got a 1200%+ bonus, put globe with enemies near, globe still got one-shot, leave the match, then gave up on him.

Edited by MPonder

Been playing Frost for a while, and i ended up with a build that im very much comfortable with, can perform really well in sorties, does a lot of damage, pretty much does a bit of everything. Here it is:

Umbral_Frost_Build.JPG

Yes, I have used the Umbral Forma on my Forst Prime because i like him so much, i just had to.

All 3 umbral mods provide a good chunk of strength that helps Globe health, and Avalanche armor strip. Primed Flow for a high energy pool for ability spam. Stretch is good enough to cover a good area. Adaptation for the very much needed survival of Frost at high levels. Streamline is a must for me, to make avalanche cost and Ice wave cost cheaper. Handspring is a personal preference. The augment, can be switched depending on situation, i mainly use Ice Wave Impendance for added Crowd Control, but if i want more survival, i switch to Icy Avalanche. Arcanes grace and energize both to keep energy up and health up.

Lastly, The aura i went for, was Growing Power. This helps Frost a lot believe it or not. My 2ndary weapon is the Catchmoon kitgun, and everytime i land a status, my avalanche armor strip trait increases to about 72%?? I dont remember, but is somewhere around near that. It is more than enough for either my opticor vandal or catchmoon to decimate enemies.

It also helps to increase the health of my globe. I use globe only as a panic button, or to defend static objectives, tho with Ice Wave, the enemies take a long time to reach the globe or even shoot at it.

Overall, I turned my Frost into a mobile Defense fort, he can do a bit of everything, and it feels very mobile, i disliked the playstyle of Frost just popping bubble and afking, heck, with that much power strength, Avalanche can also kill sortie level enemies, provided they are very close by, the ice shatter damage is enough to kill everything.