Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny is going Free-to-Play, what does it mean for Warframe?

(PSN)SpicySpaceTurtle

Probably wont happen because console certification Makes it so PC version is a beta test to get rid of most bug so that the certification on console goes more smoothly.

As Much as I dont mind it being that way, it would effectively be great to have the same Quality Control that console builds has.

What would happen to Tennogen stuff that is buyable on console with plat, making the same for PC player to be fair ?

Maybe DE should consider offering the possibility to buy Tennogen stuff on PC with IRL cash and plat as well ?

Edited by Alpha56

There are certain issues they must solve before cross platform progression becomes a thing. Events for instance need to be more streamlined so they can be active at the same exact time, otherwise you'd suddenly have people playing on all platforms just to "exploit" things like Plague Star forma farming etc.

Second issue is that many console players may take the whole cross platform progression thing and make it mean cross platform releases (at the same date) which likely wont be the case. So I hope those people will accept that their PC progression will be backlogged on console, so if you unlock a frame on PC not yet available on consoles you wont be able to play it there until it is released.

There is also the issue with tennogen and other things.

14 hours ago, (NSW)Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

People still play Destiny 2? 🤔

You really don’t understand Destiny fans, do you. 

It doesn’t matter what Bungie does—Destiny fans will say “this sucks but I’ll play it; they better not mess up the next update, though, or I’ll say it sucks and play it anyway too!”

Bungie couldn’t prevent people from playing that game if they wanted to. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zeclem said:

i sure hope they do. de is getting way too complacent with lack of competition in the market. 

And you know what's funny? There is still no competition on the horizon.
People said that Destiny will be a competition and it wasn't. And it won't be even with the f2p and cross progress news that just dropped. The game is still bad, that's why it lost its audience in the first place.
Then there was Anthem. Man, that thing was a wreck...

As of right now, why would DE do anything what other companies do, if these other companies can't even keep their games full of people?

21 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

And you know what's funny? There is still no competition on the horizon.
People said that Destiny will be a competition and it wasn't. And it won't be even with the f2p and cross progress news that just dropped. The game is still bad, that's why it lost its audience in the first place.
Then there was Anthem. Man, that thing was a wreck...

As of right now, why would DE do anything what other companies do, if these other companies can't even keep their games full of people?

You're right about Anthem but exaggerating about Destiny 2, though I think it's no surprise to have an exaggerated opinion of D2 since it had such an ugly launch. While it suffered a lot under Activision, it's still got a respectably large and very loyal community. If the game was really close to death you'd see certain signs on top of migrating players counts like a decrease in the amount of user created content and other things that healthy game communities do naturally. Compare the youtube presence of Destiny 2 next to a game that is a real flop like Anthem (Since we're already using that game here) and you'll notice a huge rift in the attitude and frequency of the content. 

Players migrate from Warframe all the time to take breaks, especially around content droughts or controversial changes, and you'd probably never have called Warframe dead. 

yup peple buying mass amounts of plat and bringing it to consoles to #*!% up the whole economy again after rivens already did i'm sure that's good. they are considering some cross progression but i dont' see cross saves working. there will have to be limitations likely on plat if nothing else for that exact reason i just said.

8 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Of course Not.... because no matter how hard they #*!% up... they know you won't leave them... I doubt DE feels threatened at all by Destiny...

I already have left. It's been a couple years since I last logged into my Warframe account. I along with a couple friends used to play it on PS4 but since moving to PC we all agree that there is no way in heck we are willing to start over. So here we sit...waiting and hoping, wondering if anyone will ever care.

1 hour ago, Orblit said:

Reasons I can see this not happening...tennogen, plat values are different, PC being vastly superior to consoles...etc.

Like I said, I wouldn't expect my plat to carry over. Take it all DE! I guess in the universe of Warframe we are stuck where we start and unable to play with buddies unless they share the same platform as us. This is why I believe that Warframe will always have room for improvement.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)SpicySpaceTurtle said:

Like I said, I wouldn't expect my plat to carry over. Take it all DE! I guess in the universe of Warframe we are stuck where we start and unable to play with buddies unless they share the same platform as us. This is why I believe that Warframe will always have room for improvement.

Can't take all the stuff you got on the market for plat either. Particularly Tennogen. The issue with you wanting a "transfer" is that it would have to be so heavily restricted due to various reasons, it's basically not worth doing the way you want it. It has many of the same hurdles as normal cross progression has.

7 minutes ago, IspanoLFW said:

Can't take all the stuff you got on the market for plat either. Particularly Tennogen. The issue with you wanting a "transfer" is that it would have to be so heavily restricted due to various reasons, it's basically not worth doing the way you want it. It has many of the same hurdles as normal cross progression has.

Hopefully once the game plateaus and DE decides they can finally stop adding new content, consoles can finally catch up to PC and we can all be on the same page. I get that they want to continue growing the game but eventually we need to come together as a community and stop fragmenting the playerbase. With such a minimal focus on PvP this game is an excellent candidate for cross-play and cross-saving. For now though, I'd be happy with just being able to transfer my save to PC. That should be a priority, honestly.

1 hour ago, Blatantfool said:

Players migrate from Warframe all the time to take breaks, especially around content droughts or controversial changes, and you'd probably never have called Warframe dead. 

That is simply the nature of F2P and certain B2P products like Black Desert where you buy it and then all future updates are free. It isnt so easy with regular B2P, sub based or free-to-try titles. Players migrating from WF always tend to come back to see what is new since they dont need to spend a dime to get back in and enjoy whatever has come. Much like I took a 3 year break from Black Desert only to check back on it earlier this year and have access to every content addition they had released for free.

The same wont be the case for Destiny 2 and similar games because you cant just get back to see what has changed and what has been released, unless of course you are ready to shell out more cash.

Going "free-to-play" the way they are intending is a very good indication that the game is indeed dying or already dead. It is the one last great death spasm of hope that someone may try the "free" game and buy the expansions in order to continue the life support. The fun part is also that people blame activision when bungie are doing one of the worst marketing tricks out there, calling the game free-to-play when it really isnt if you are interested in any form of serious progression within gaming. Grade A limbo marketing tricks because it is hard to go any lower.

23 minutes ago, (PS4)SpicySpaceTurtle said:

Hopefully once the game plateaus and DE decides they can finally stop adding new content, consoles can finally catch up to PC and we can all be on the same page. I get that they want to continue growing the game but eventually we need to come together as a community and stop fragmenting the playerbase. With such a minimal focus on PvP this game is an excellent candidate for cross-play and cross-saving. For now though, I'd be happy with just being able to transfer my save to PC. That should be a priority, honestly.

That wasn't the reason I mentioned the market stuff. Money was the reason. Take Fortnite for example. Did you know, and it might still be the case, that even though PS4 players could play with PC players(it's now all) that VBucks were locked to the PS4 if you bought them there? Ones you earned in game were fine, but any purchased ones had to be used on that platform. And Warframe has a much more complex premium currency market. And that's before talking about Tennogen.

Edited by IspanoLFW

For cross-progress, I think one issue, that of per-platform premium currency, can be solved creatively. 

Currently it's all called "Platinum", but they are completely segregated markets - and there remains the issue of platinum having different value depending on platform. 

I propose differentiating the Platinum on each platform, so it remains different entities in the save/progress, tradeable across all platforms, but can only be spent on the "correct platform" .

PC - Silver Platinum

Switch - Red Platinum

XBOX - Green Platinum

PS4 - Blue Platinum

That would preserve each individual platform's value of Platinum market, and retain the ability and value of user trades to make it flow through the community.

Edited by BrazilianJoe

I find this topic interesting to say the least.

I'm going to add some small tidbits:

Assuming DE does keep their corp website accurate, they are hiring for multiple positions. Assuming their financial report is honest and truthful, DE's parent company boasted a 36% revenue increase from 2017 to 2018 with 200M+ coming from Warframe (which they also state is their flaship product).

All that states that Warframe is a financial success and with the continued technological improvements and changes we are seeing with Warframe, they are not without the resources to make something like cross-save happen. Now, that's not to say that their parent company is pushing back. That could be a thing. We don't know the relationship between the two companies and therefore do not know all the factors. However, resources are probably not the reason cross-save is still not here (speculation). 

I would be interested in DE's explanation as to why they are still not pushing harder for it. If it is truly a difference of goals between them and their parent, that's fine. But I feel like the gamers have the right to know one way or the other (although we are not bound to any contract that states we have this right - this is my opinion). Wanting to expand the game as much as possible is great and all, but also giving the players a choice as to what platform they play on helps bolster the reason to play. This expands their options on who they can play with as not everyone has the exact same hardware.

Now I'm not saying that DE is neglecting the players or anything of the sort. Despite my gripes (and I have big ones that make me not want to play), I do feel they are better than most developers out there and I admire their product and their team. I do believe they could help alleviate this whole bit being brought up by simply being honest with the playerbase, for better or worse.

I could go on, but I'll not rant more than I need to.

Side note: Bungie admitted that Activision hurt their game. I think their departure is worth keeping an eye on Destiny as it sounds like they really want to fix the game. Whether or not DE should be worried doesn't matter. Competition drives innovation (or it should). Games built for players should compete on keeping those players interested, but there is also nothing wrong with investing your time in both.

42 minutes ago, Nation_X said:

The amount of misinformation about Destiny on this thread is staggering and i would hazard a guess from people who dont actually play the game. To call a game that has over 500k (800k yesterday) daily players 'dead' is laughable. Looks at WF steam stats *rolls eyes* 

The question is does steam count players that play warframe without using steam like me?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 844448 said:

The question is does steam count players that play warframe without using steam like me?

The revenue statement (assuming it's accurate) stated almost 50k concurrent players (that's ending de 31 18). So if we want to be generous, which I will be, let's assume Warframe is sitting at 100k. That would include both steam and non users.

You can also look at Twitch. 12.1k viewers over at Destiny 2 vs 1.1k for Warframe.

Just now, Zyneris said:

The revenue statement (assuming it's accurate) stated almost 50k concurrent players (that's ending de 31 18). So if we want to be generous, which I will be, let's assume Warframe is sitting at 100k. That would include both steam and non users.

You can also look at Twitch. 12.1k viewers over at Destiny 2 vs 1.1k for Warframe.

can't say for sure since we don't have a universal tracker like destiny has