Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussion on Cross Save

(PSN)Mythologica

Probably this has been asked before, but thought I would bring up the subject again.
I am a PS4 player going on 5 years invested into Warframe, MR 22.

I travel a LOT now, and it is starting to look like outside of the occasional PS4 login, I may have to move to Nintendo Switch to keep playing regularly.
I know, "boo-hoo" right?  LOL  ;-)
But seriously, if I move to Nintendo Switch (because I can take it everywhere) I would Have To Start Over.
From MR 22 all the way back down to MR 1.
Nearly 5 years of grinding, accumulating, trading and patience rendered inaccessible.  

Now I know that cross-platform is complicated.  But there are some considerations that I am hoping DE is aware of, and they probably are.
My only  real experience with genuine Cross-Platform play, where you could log into different sources and, because it was account-based (like Warframe), you could get into your account on any platform.  The game is "Kings Road" and while not even remotely as complex as Warframe (nor remotely as fun), the cool thing was that I could log in from:
-- my laptop running OS X
-- my cell phone running iOS
-- my partner's cell phone running Android
... and in each case I would just pick up from where I left off previously, regardless of which platform I'd been on.

Add to this the talk on the part of Microsoft over a year ago saying that if Sony will cooperate that they intend to make ALL games sold by both vendors completely cross-platform in the next generation of Xbox & PS5.
So my thought is that somewhere between the Microsoft announcement and the reality of Kings Road that DE might perhaps be working on something like this?
Please please please?  :)

This is of course in addition to the fact that my buddies on Xbox and I could finally team up.  :)
Thank you all for listening.
Stay safe.

To correct the above poster, it in fact is up to them, they just really don't want to.

It's their game. 

There will be expenses and prices to be paid if they go to a cross save system so that you can just pick up the game and play it on any platform you like. Among other things it would probably mean having to pay a fine or penalty and closing their plat stores on consoles and require all plat sales to go through their web page, consoles will not particularly like that because they're getting a cut of the sales right now. On the other hand if the platforms try to punish DE for doing it by removing the game from their platform, that could have legal consequences for the platform. There has not really been many cases where a platform, say xbox, decided not to support a "live game" anymore by completely blocking access to it after letting people spend money on it. Any multiplayer games that have shut down their "multiplayer" functions did so on the developer or publisher's side. So a platform taking away access to something a player spent money on simply to black mail the developer or publisher?  Arbitration for that could create a scenario where the developer would have to reimburse players all money spent on the game under their platform which wouldn't be cheap if it doesn't go their way. It would be a fight that isn't worth winning and isn't worth losing and DE would not be the first company to make players handle their micro-transactions outside of the console markets. Elite dangerous did it to at least for a while, haven't played it in a while so don't know if they've changed. 

Anyway. They don't want to pay those expenses. 

But it is, entirely, up to them. They decide "We are doing this. Period". It's going to get done. Might have to pay some kind of fee to cover "licensing" to all platforms, but more likely they will have inventories migrate but not cosmetics, making you have to buy them on each platform because the cosmetics are often licensed by third parties. DE. And really all of these live service games. Need to get real use to only being able to sell cosmetics as microtransactions and they need to get real use to it real quick because it's only a matter of time before regulations drive a big spike through DE's head by banning pay to win mechanics.

As for when DE is going to do it? Probably when it becomes more expensive to keep losing players that could be retained by having a cross play system. As it is, console is basically dead, a tiny minority play on it compared to PC which is the favored platform.  It's where I'd be playing the game if they would let me but I'm not starting over. I would sooner and happier quit the game. They know most people who have been on consoles for a while feel the same way so it just depends how much money they're willing to lose to avoid a cross save feature. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

What games are those?  Do they have micro transactions that carry over in them?

Fortnite, Destiny 2, Ark survival evolved, a whole buttload of pay to win titles, so to answer your question, a lot of them and yes they do have micro transactions that carry over. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft abandoned their walled garden system when it became painfully clear to players that there was no valid reason for it to exist outside of greed. Most new live service games that launch on multiple platforms will probably have crossplay or at least cross save going forward because it became poisonous to the console manufacturers to block it when people realized it was all greed motivated and not technical at all, Sony was the last hold out and they caved when it became clear the ps5 would be DOA if they didn't when nintendo and microsoft were very clear about embracing the feature. 

So again. What games? Lots. Do they have micro-transactions that carry over? Yes. 

• Like 1

Being honest since Fortnite embraces all markets even your freaking cellphone if they had a half decent pve foundation instead of being all pvp trash they'd probably have already killed Warframe off. They haven't because no matter what the hard core people like to believe, most people do not like pvp centered games. 

51 minutes ago, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

There will be expenses and prices to be paid if they go to a cross save system so that you can just pick up the game and play it on any platform you like. Among other things it would probably mean having to pay a fine or penalty and closing their plat stores on consoles and require all plat sales to go through their web page, consoles will not particularly like that because they're getting a cut of the sales right now. On the other hand if the platforms try to punish DE for doing it by removing the game from their platform, that could have legal consequences for the platform. There has not really been many cases where a platform, say xbox, decided not to support a "live game" anymore by completely blocking access to it after letting people spend money on it. Any multiplayer games that have shut down their "multiplayer" functions did so on the developer or publisher's side. So a platform taking away access to something a player spent money on simply to black mail the developer or publisher?  Arbitration for that could create a scenario where the developer would have to reimburse players all money spent on the game under their platform which wouldn't be cheap if it doesn't go their way. It would be a fight that isn't worth winning and isn't worth losing and DE would not be the first company to make players handle their micro-transactions outside of the console markets. Elite dangerous did it to at least for a while, haven't played it in a while so don't know if they've changed. 

Anyway. They don't want to pay those expenses. 

But it is, entirely, up to them. They decide "We are doing this. Period". It's going to get done. Might have to pay some kind of fee to cover "licensing" to all platforms, but more likely they will have inventories migrate but not cosmetics, making you have to buy them on each platform because the cosmetics are often licensed by third parties. DE. And really all of these live service games. Need to get real use to only being able to sell cosmetics as microtransactions and they need to get real use to it real quick because it's only a matter of time before regulations drive a big spike through DE's head by banning pay to win mechanics.

As for when DE is going to do it? Probably when it becomes more expensive to keep losing players that could be retained by having a cross play system. As it is, console is basically dead, a tiny minority play on it compared to PC which is the favored platform.  It's where I'd be playing the game if they would let me but I'm not starting over. I would sooner and happier quit the game. They know most people who have been on consoles for a while feel the same way so it just depends how much money they're willing to lose to avoid a cross save feature. 

Honestly I don't see it being true cross-save if you don't also have all your purchases migrated, and it's on this matter where DE isn't in any reasonable amount of control.  So from a matter of 'is cross-save up to DE' it depends at what point you call something true cross save, as well as what $ amount you would consider reasonable rather than extortionate.

Also you might want to define your definition of P2W.  Imo the thing closest to P2W in Warframe would be purchasing particularly great Rivens, but that's more a fact of life of a basically free market.  The amount of time/effort required to earn anything that is also purchasable is so small that it's far more 'pay for convenience' or even 'pay to be lazy' than P2W.  Plus there's the whole fact that Warframe is practically entirely PvE which some would say immediately rules out anything from being P2W (though I don't personally subscribe to that extreme).

Then there's the part where you said devs need to get used to only selling cosmetics.  Why are you making the distinction between cosmetics and equipment?

39 minutes ago, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

Being honest since Fortnite embraces all markets even your freaking cellphone if they had a half decent pve foundation instead of being all pvp trash they'd probably have already killed Warframe off. They haven't because no matter what the hard core people like to believe, most people do not like pvp centered games. 

Considering Warframe and the hypothetical Fortnite BR PvE would still be different genres I don't think your claim is accurate in any way.  

I think people really don't understand how difficult it is to make a game like Warframe cross-save. As we all know, PC is on a way different scheduled with quite a few things then PS4 and XBOX. Switch is even further behind. PC gets events, new quests and such first, and PC is THREE cycles ahead on Baro. First DE will have to get all the system on the same scheduled, and be able to make all updates, big and small, live on all 4 platforms on the same day. Oh, and don't forget having to get every update thru cert at 3 different companies.
Ya, they have said they would LIKE to look into it. At no point did they say that this would happen any time soon, or was even actually being worked on. They have said MAYBE in the FUTURE.

So ya, if you want to play with your friends, then you will need to start an account on the platform they play on or they will have to play on you're platform. 

4 hours ago, (XB1)SneakingPillow said:

I mainly want a 1 way transfer from Xbox to PC, I would say if they can do a cross save like D2 did that it would be neat, but otherwise a 1 way account transfer would be what I'm looking for. But I guess I'll just keep dreaming eh?

Might get a port from Pc with scarlet and ps5 release but i would not hold my breath for it .

Hello everyone,

as the title says, I‘m asking if there are any updates regarding the cross-save discussion, and if yes, what. Additionally, I‘d like to ask if there is a chance that one time transfers could take place again, since I want to transfer my save to the PC version, where all my friends play. Grateful for any responses!

5 minutes ago, (NSW)nicnuc said:

I‘d like to ask if there is a chance that one time transfers could take place again, since I want to transfer my save to the PC version, where all my friends play.

Even if the brought back the one time transfers, it wouldn't be from console to PC.
All the transfers so far were form PC to a console so that said console gets populated quicker...

8 minutes ago, (NSW)nicnuc said:

So my best bet is hoping cross-save will be a thing, or throwing away around 1.5 years of playing warframe and starting new?

They have said they want cross save, so it's going to happen eventually. I'm in the same boat as you, and personally I'm waiting for the opportunity, because going back on years of work and what would be tens of thousands of plat on primes, event weapons and other such items, not even counting the rivens... Yeah, I'll happily wait a few months or even a couple more years

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Lucas Jameson said:

They have said they want cross save, so it's going to happen eventually.

Not quite.
They said they WANT to do it. And the last thing that was said was Steve getting a rather long paper on this matter. About benefits, financials, ways to make it happen and so on.
So no, we don't know if it's going to happen. It might happen, sure. But it's far from being certain.
Please stop spreading rumors.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, (NSW)nicnuc said:

So my best bet is hoping cross-save will be a thing, or throwing away around 1.5 years of playing warframe and starting new?

welcome to the club man, I played warframe xbox for 3 years (off and on) ... finally got a gaming PC like 2 months ago and had to start over fresh. Its actually not that bad as with the pandemic and just being busy from work ive maybe gotten back to about 45% capacity of where I was at on console. It sucks but its actually kinda good as a refresher of things if you will.

This really should be implemented asap. Other modern games have cross save and with Warframe being on switch it seems the perfect time for it. I know numerous players (myself included) that aren't playing Warframe anymore simply because all their progress was tied to a platform they no longer use and they don't want to start again. These are loyal players who essentially can't play anymore. I know they've said they would like to implement cross save, but they need to confirm if they are and give a rough time frame. A new update adding another Warframe can wait if it means allowing people to play across multiple platforms. They are going to have to implement it soon as the "next generation" is around the corner. I can see the potential work associated with cross play, but it can't be that hard to implement cross saves, or even an option for account migration (which they've done before).

• Like 1