Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please bring back self damage

I can appreciate that this topic uses “Please” in the title and looks respectfully-written. Even though I’ve had my own problems with self damage and am not sad to see it gone, I’ll gladly take what you have to say as food for thought, OP, and can sympathise with what you miss.

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

"Suspension of disbelief" is pretty selective when you don't have friendly fire in general. I don't really understand why you are bothered in this respect by the lack of self damage we have now (by some weapons) when with the system we had before you could fire the same self-damaging weapon on your teammate (or defense target etc.) with no repercussions. That didn't make any sense. If anything, the no self-damage system we have now feels more consistent with the idea that teammates cannot hurt each other in any way.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Beer-The-Reaper said:

this is probably partially because of focus lenses... 

nah, the Playerbase forces it themselves. have to pick one Weapon for everything in the game, it has to do everything.

• Like 1

I feel like asking for self damage, because an explosive weapon's particle effects are bothering you, is asking for the wrong thing.

Explosive weapons still have repercussions in the form of Stagger (and this could even be tweaked to be a bit more punishing than it is now imo), but I think the devs were right to remove self-damage. Especially considering our damage vs our health, using a launcher meant you were either completely fine or one-shot-dead, which is not a very engaging drawback.

• Like 3

There were a number of issues and personally I thought that self damage was a fun mechanic.  I did not think it was implemented perfectly nor do most of you who actually bothered to read half of this thread think the current system is perfect. 
@rastaban75 Valid points for team play, but if I actually want immersion in this game I tend to play solo.  It can be a lot of fun to try and do spy missions without gimmick or stealth frames.  There are a lot of ways to play this game that are not bullet jumping at maximum velocity down a hallway because it's the most efficient way to get all the stuffs. 
@Kaiga If you actually read the thread and still feel that way I must be a really subtle troll. 

Edited by Beer-The-Reaper

9 hours ago, Beer-The-Reaper said:

I just came back to Warframe after a few months off and the most annoying thing is "teammates" constantly spamming primary weapons with huge blinding particle effects in annoying and obtrusive energy colors.  I seem to get one at least every third mission.  In addition to killing half the squad every time they get nicked by a radiation proc it is just annoying.  Also using self damage weapons used to be fun because there was actually potential consequence to not aiming your shots or paying attention.  I know vocal members of the community who don't think that firing a rocket launcher at point blank should have a negative repercussion but this is honestly testing my suspension of disbelief in a game about space ninjas. 
Sidebar, I'm sure that I could adjust my display settings to lower the particle effects or something along those lines but they are cool and an enjoyable part of the game.  Just not when the jack@** running behind you is bombarding everything they can see with them as fast as they can left click.  

No. It wasn't fun. It was #*!%ing S#&$.

And it won't come back thankfully. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beer-The-Reaper said:

Yes clearly anyone with a different opinion is a troll. 

@Acersecomic You are adding nothing to the discussion and bumping the thread...

There is nothing to add. Self-damage was stupid and extremely disruptive. It is bizarre to even ever want it back after YEARS AND YEARS of clamoring to get rid of it. Now we finally got it and someone suddenly wants it back.

NO. There is nothing to add, the discussion has been had for years and DE, after YEARS of having data and sht decided to REMOVE SELF-DAMAGE.

Threads like these are trolls or just plain human meh. THERE. ADDED. Happy?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Acersecomic said:

There is nothing to add. Self-damage was stupid and extremely disruptive. It is bizarre to even ever want it back after YEARS AND YEARS of clamoring to get rid of it. Now we finally got it and someone suddenly wants it back.

NO. There is nothing to add, the discussion has been had for years and DE, after YEARS of having data and sht decided to REMOVE SELF-DAMAGE.

Threads like these are trolls or just plain human meh. THERE. ADDED. Happy?

So how about the fact that not only all of us who DID enjoy the risk niche of self-damage, but even many who didn't find it to their particular tastes, have been saying "If this is what we get instead, then I'd prefer self-damage back" over in the feedback thread for the change DE gave us and then summarily ignored?

You want to talk about trolls and disruption, that'd be your entitled bunch who demanded that another player's mechanical niche (of a mere 4%-10% the available options) had to be completely removed to suit their inability to NOT look down the barrel of a rocket launcher before pulling the trigger?

That's disruptive. Those players now have nothing, because the stagger is not a risk, it is an annoyance - nothing more, and even that can be wholly circumvented. All because you couldn't just say "this small subset of weapons is not my cup of tea, but I am not forced to use them so that is fine".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

That's disruptive. Those players now have nothing, because the stagger is not a risk, it is an annoyance - nothing more, and even that can be wholly circumvented. All because you couldn't just say "this small subset of weapons is not my cup of tea, but I am not forced to use them so that is fine".

Then you better be careful not to get annoyed.

• Like 3

I think I'm with you on this. Sure, it makes the game a tiny bit harder but knowing my actions have personal consequences, and not just consequences for everyone else (blinding other players), makes the game more engaging for me (personal preference, I know). I see that some are pointing out the knock-down timer is punishing, but that feels more like a nuisance than "If I do this enough times, I'll waste all my lives in this round." I prefer the weight of consequence, but I enjoy the game either way.

Edited by Tacrob
Clarifying my point at the end of second sentence and added the third for same reason.

To the op: use (primed)sure footed.

To everyone complaining about self stagger: use (primed)sure footed.

To those salty staticor users: use (primed)sure footed.

To everyone wanting self damage back: no.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Beer-The-Reaper said:

I know vocal members of the community who don't think that firing a rocket launcher at point blank should have a negative repercussion but this is honestly testing my suspension of disbelief in a game about space ninjas. 

Tell that to the enemies, who will spam explosives for hours right in their own faces and not suffer a single point of self-damage

Hell, half the Ghouls run around wearing land mines as boxing gloves. Look at that, and tell me that this isn't a universe where I can shoot my own feet with rocket launchers as much as I like

Edited by TARINunit9
  • Like 2

So all of you guys just want another weapon to get nerfed to obscurity? For pete’s sake there is nothing wrong with bramma or any other explosive weapon. The only problem is not the weapons, but the mechanics itself. Self damage needed to go because it’s complete garbage because of how powerful it was (even inaros can die), and while stagger isn’t good enough of a downside, there is a bloody middle ground we can agree on.

For example: Self damage that won’t kill you, but leave you at x hp or something. 

Don’t solve a problem by introducing an old problem that the current problem was designed to solve. Confusing right? That’s because it is, and that’s what you guys wanted believe it or don’t. Since DE is holding test servers now, it’s about time we can band up and use our heads so that DE can finally solve this problem.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)KyleXY12345 said:

So all of you guys just want another weapon to get nerfed to obscurity? For pete’s sake there is nothing wrong with bramma or any other explosive weapon. The only problem is not the weapons, but the mechanics itself. Self damage needed to go because it’s complete garbage because of how powerful it was (even inaros can die), and while stagger isn’t good enough of a downside, there is a bloody middle ground we can agree on.

For example: Self damage that won’t kill you, but leave you at x hp or something. 

Don’t solve a problem by introducing an old problem that the current problem was designed to solve. Confusing right? That’s because it is, and that’s what you guys wanted believe it or don’t. Since DE is holding test servers now, it’s about time we can band up and use our heads so that DE can finally solve this problem.

Weapons are the problem, actually. Why Bramma is nothing wrong? After use it for some weeks, I found that every sortie level of enemies are easily obliterated by my bramma, and I don't have a riven for this. It is too powerful. Even if there is self-damage, bramma is TOO powerful to leave it to be.

But, yes, the grudge against self damage is all about its ridiculously higher damage. Almost all self damage can instantly kill a tenno by only a single hit, even if it is not a direct hit. Only a few exceptions are allow us to survive.

33 minutes ago, DroopingPuppy said:

Weapons are the problem, actually. Why Bramma is nothing wrong? After use it for some weeks, I found that every sortie level of enemies are easily obliterated by my bramma, and I don't have a riven for this. It is too powerful. Even if there is self-damage, bramma is TOO powerful to leave it to be.

Imagine being this Player.