Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If you could design an Open World expansion what would it be?

Zahnrad

This is something I've had in my head for a while now.

I'd go for a heavily Pirate themed Open World that adds upon Tyl Regor/has him overseeing Grineer operations on Uranus, similar to Nef Anyo on the Vallis or Vay Hek on the Plains.

Simply to make this thread more compact I'm personally choosing to put my infomation in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Setting

Rather than being primarily above ground, this Open World would feature a large amount of open water, with more or less isolated islands, clusters of islands and maybe a couple of large central landmasses, similar to a Caribbean or other pirate themed worlds. We will be able to employ both Archwing and Sharkwing, allowing for a ton of underwater content, and even content that could have you frequently transition between Archwing and Sharkwing seamlessly. Exploring underwater caves that may lead into caves with air pockets, allowing you areas on land underground. I have no doubt the Grineer would build sea bases that could function similarly both on the above and below ground. There should still be content that can be done above ground.

Weather

Uranus is in a constant state of rain and storm. But as with the Venusian Orb Vallis, the Orokin have attempted to terraform this area however they focused on the weather, instead of a Day/Night or Hot/Cold cycle, this open world cycles between Calm weather and Storm weather.

Faction

A mismash of characters and cultures with no real native majority, these hardworking Rebels/Pirates and reformed Outcasts have banded together, having commandeered several Grineer seabases and attached them together into a much larger base and hidden in a Cove. But why stop there? Maybe instead of above ground a portion of this base is located underwater allowing you the opportunity to deploy underwater or on land?

Modular Weapons

Weapons featured will be similar to Muskets or Flintlock pistols but with obvious Grineer and Warframe twists. If bullets are too mundane for you, why not take a page out of Fallout's book and have a laser musket?

Vehicle

We have Archwing, and we have K-Drive, both of which are valid and K-Drives gain the opportunity to surf but unable to go underwater.

A new vehicle to be added are called "Pearls" to keep in theme with pirates. These orbs just large enough to fit a Warframe inside. Contains exterior guns for combat and It has limited movement on land but has small legs which can be used to walk on land, (similar to crab legs really) however it's more adept on the Water surface and Underwater, allowing you to stay on the surface with high mobility or submerge underwater. Controlling one of these will feel similar to piloting a Railjack, except it's a Warframe sized pod.

Fishing

As each Open World has had different fishing mechanics this is no exception. Rather than fishing for small helpless fish, the underwater creatures here are much tougher and larger. Fishing here will feel less like spear fishing and more like trying to bring down a Mammoth with primitive spears. But they will remain passive so long as you are. At the end you get to choose to Conserve these creatures or Kill them. Being large ocean fish your Landing Craft will fly down to pick them up.

Bosses

I think it's time to finally bring this trailer to reality. With a large ocean there should be ample room for something as large as the Sentients for us to finally fight, maybe we won't bring them down but we certainly do something to it.

Alternatively, fighting Underwater Sentient bosses or some other non-Sentient Bosses that requires a mix of underwater, surface and above ground combat would make sense for a world like this.

• Like 1

Just now, Zahnny said:

This is something I've had in my head for a while now.

I'd go for a heavily Pirate themed Open World that adds upon Tyl Regor/has him overseeing Grineer operations on Uranus, similar to Nef Anyo on the Vallis or Vay Hek on the Plains.

Simply to make this thread more compact I'm personally choosing to put my infomation in a spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Setting

Rather than being primarily above ground, this Open World would feature a large amount of open water, with more or less isolated islands, clusters of islands and maybe a couple of large central landmasses, similar to a Caribbean or other pirate themed worlds. We will be able to employ both Archwing and Sharkwing, allowing for a ton of underwater content, and even content that could have you frequently transition between Archwing and Sharkwing seamlessly. Exploring underwater caves that may lead into caves with air pockets, allowing you areas on land underground. I have no doubt the Grineer would build sea bases that could function similarly both on the above and below ground. There should still be content that can be done above ground.

Weather

Uranus is in a constant state of rain and storm. But as with the Venusian Orb Vallis, the Orokin have attempted to terraform this area however they focused on the weather, instead of a Day/Night or Hot/Cold cycle, this open world cycles between Calm weather and Storm weather.

Faction

A mismash of characters and cultures with no real native majority, these hardworking Rebels/Pirates and reformed Outcasts have banded together, having commandeered several Grineer seabases and attached them together into a much larger base and hidden in a Cove. But why stop there? Maybe instead of above ground a portion of this base is located underwater allowing you the opportunity to deploy underwater or on land?

Modular Weapons

Weapons featured will be similar to Muskets or Flintlock pistols but with obvious Grineer and Warframe twists. If bullets are too mundane for you, why not take a page out of Fallout's book and have a laser musket?

Vehicle

We have Archwing, and we have K-Drive, both of which are valid and K-Drives gain the opportunity to surf but unable to go underwater.

A new vehicle to be added are called "Pearls" to keep in theme with pirates. These orbs just large enough to fit a Warframe inside. Contains exterior guns for combat and It has limited movement on land but has small legs which can be used to walk on land, (similar to crab legs really) however it's more adept on the Water surface and Underwater, allowing you to stay on the surface with high mobility or submerge underwater. Controlling one of these will feel similar to piloting a Railjack, except it's a Warframe sized pod.

Fishing

As each Open World has had different fishing mechanics this is no exception. Rather than fishing for small helpless fish, the underwater creatures here are much tougher and larger. Fishing here will feel less like spear fishing and more like trying to bring down a Mammoth with primitive spears. But they will remain passive so long as you are. At the end you get to choose to Conserve these creatures or Kill them. Being large ocean fish your Landing Craft will fly down to pick them up.

Bosses

I think it's time to finally bring this trailer to reality. With a large ocean there should be ample room for something as large as the Sentients for us to finally fight, maybe we won't bring them down but we certainly do something to it.

Alternatively, fighting Underwater Sentient bosses or some other non-Sentient Bosses that requires a mix of underwater, surface and above ground combat would make sense for a world like this.

How about a randomly generated space open world, where there's asteroids all over the place and you fly a giant space ship through them battling fighters and capturing objectives?

• Like 2

I've made a few concepts touching on this idea, but instead of making my own open-world, I wanted to give the existing ones a lot more features:

Spoiler

Passive State / Active State

What’s the point of adding so many peaceful non-fighting activities such as fishing, mining, or conservating when they’re constantly interrupted by enemies?

Passive State occurs when the game realizes you aren’t actively engaging in usual shoot-and-loot gameplay

• Less enemies spawn, and further away
  • Enemies that do spawn have a less likely chance of interrupting your activities
  • Ghouls/Thumpers spawn less likely in the PoE
  • Lotus asks you to perform less Intrusions

Active State occurs upon accepting a Bounty/Intrusion, killing a specific number of troops in a certain amount of time, or prolonging your stay in a Grineer or Corpus base of operations

Side Quests / “Open World Alerts”

Every day, a few of the regulars from Cetus or Fortuna will task you with a side job to do alongside your normal Open World activity. 

“Swazdo-lah, Tenno! I know you’re busy protecting the Unum, but… I have a job I think you’ll be interested in.” Image result for warframe cetus icon

“Howzit, Outworlder! Got your ears on? Old mate of mine told me you’d like to do some work for us. Don’t worry, you’ll get some compensation on the side.”Image result for warframe fortuna icon

Side quest objectives can vary from collecting 10 fish, to killing a certain number of a specific enemy, to defending a prized artifact, and can go even as far as being one-part bounties.

Rewards would include debt-bonds, credits, and resources from the open worlds, with more complicated quests rewarding you with Toroids, Wisps, among other things. All quests provide Standing for their respective open world hub.

More Vendors

I made a previous concept stating that some of the people that look like merchants in Cetus but aren’t interactable could have a use. I’m sure the same applies for Fortuna but I haven’t seen the people there enough to know what they could do.

• The cook mixing with the soup pot would provide the Tenno with edible consumables akin to RPG potions/food. Higher levels with Cetus equate to food that gives better buffs. Works similarly to Nakak where its a direct trade of resources rather than standing
  • The merchant with the dyes would provide Tenno with various colors for their clan (more pigments than usually offered by enemies) in exchange for standing. They also sell paintings of the Plains for Landing Craft decoration. High rankings can also allow the Tenno to make their own custom color palette. 

These are just two of many examples.

Fast Travel

By liberating a camp on the Plains or capturing a base on the Vallis, you can unlock the ability to teleport from one captured base to another. This removes the constant need of Archwings as a travel mechanic.

Taming Animals

An alternative to hunting and conserving, you can use gear items provided by Master Teasonai or the Business in order to attempt to tame the creature and use them in combat as a companion.

• Just like in conserving, you’d find the echo spot, and use the Lure to call the creature in.
  • However, instead of tranquilizing the fauna, you can equip the gear Teasonai or Biz provided to you, and WAIT for the animal to approach you
  • Depending on the potency of the gear (let’s assume it’s food), there’s either a 33%, 50%, or 75% chance of you successfully taming the creature
  • You can only tame a creature if you have an available Stasis Slot, but Stasis Slots can now be provided by Teasonai and Biz in exchange for Standing
  • After taming the creature and giving it a slot, you can interact with it and give it Stabilizers for health
  • Each animal has its own abilities and precepts, with rarer variants of the animal granting bonus stats, like more health or stronger attacks
  • Once you rank a tamed animal to 30, you can go over to Biz or Teasonai to “gild” it (or in this case, clean it, give it a collar, Forma it, and provide it with a name)

Mining Rework

Akin to how only some fish can be found at certain times and at specific places, the OWs could be split up to give ores and gems this type of treatment. For example:

m9VxxOC1e_P25Mmc8Q45HN4mYfJRiICIHQL_iTGWQ1oO1IsdBttpIpO5BGzZ1VFWJVNSFPrK7DnDFIhik5B8ZTSFQjOm5tAI0iipKHYjk63LJWf6t3Ev-tPqHF99rnKWHg_BnHbu

Lower-Left:

• Ore: Pyrol
  • Gem: Devar

Lower-Right:

• Ore: Ferrite
  • Gem: Crimzian

Upper-Right:

• Ore: Coprun
  • Gem: Veridos

Upper-Left:

• Ore: Auron
  • Gem: Azurite

Left Half: Nyth // Right Half: Sentirum

Also, a perfect mine will result in a 20% of getting the alloy version of an ore, or the polished version of a gem.

Day/Night Equilibrium

Night on the Plains / Warm on the Vallis are when all of the good stuff start to show up, so it would make sense for players to have less of a chance to get it, but over time, a shorter cycle starts to get tedious.

• Plains: 100 day minutes and 50 night minutes -> 120 day and 120 night
    • 240 minute cycle, 6 total cycles a day
    • 2 hours of day and night is still more manageable than the 4 hour cycles of regular Earth missions
    • Passive State would disallow Vomvalysts from pursuing you
    • Special Side Quests can be made that are exclusive to the nighttime
  • Vallis: 20 cold minutes and 6.67 warm minutes -> 20 cold and 10 warm
    • 30 minute cycle, 48 total cycles a day
    • Not much difference but just enough that there’s more of a window for opportunity 

World-Building Immersion

The game should reward a player, who has stepped out into the Plains or the Vallis for the first time, for their curiosity and exploration. The advanced map, when first stepping into the OWs would be empty, with no names over the points of interest.

When a player enters a place they haven’t before, they will be rewarded with standing, a bit of information about the place, and a little flair.

*NEW AREA DISCOVERED: GARA TOHT LAKE*

You get the idea.

Hijacking More Vehicles

Grand theft dargyns are a good start to a potentially amazing alternative to traveling across the open worlds.

• Plains of Eidolon
    • Tusk Firbolgs: bigger, heavier airships, they are unarmed but can carry an entire 4-player squadron. Only one of the players can pilot it at a time. Empty Firbolgs can be randomly found on certain Grineer bases
    • Tusk Bolkors and Ogmas: even more health than the Firbolgs, and armed as well! You can only get one of these if you manage to incapacitate one that was summoned by a Seeker Drone. One player pilots while the others get to either shoot the cannons or fire carpet bombs
    • Tusk Thumpers: when you incapacitate a Thumper, you can either get your resources and let it die, a la Bursa, or you can hack it, reboot it, and ride it along the planes. It can man three Tenno, and like a Warframe, it has abilities of its own, including its Super Jump, its Charge, its Cannons, and its Underbelly Groundpounder
  • Orb Vallis
    • Coildrives: Coildrives can be hijacked just like Dargyns, and are a very fast ground-variant vehicle. Can fit a maximum of two players and comes with a cannon. A non-piloting player can also lean out of the coildrive to drive-by shoot Corpus
    • Condor Dropships: In a similar manner to Firbolgs, a Dropship can be either found or incapacitated, then riden by the entire squad. Unlike Firbolgs, these come armed with Senta Turrets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (NSW)Sniperfox47 said:

How about a randomly generated space open world, where there's asteroids all over the place and you fly a giant space ship through them battling fighters and capturing objectives?

I'd play that. But only if they make it extremely beautiful with game mechanics that feel *mostly* really awesome and then nerf all the ships so I can hit one button and kill them all to make it easier/faster for me to board a space station (where my LOOTER mod on my Carrier Prime would still suck) and lose my loot when the doors don't open and I can't finish the mission.

Edited by Wearbe

6 minutes ago, (XB1)C11H22O11 said:

Infested open world on Eris. We never set foot there all missions are on ships. Would be cool to see "the whole planet is alive" thing. Some cities that don't have citizens it's all broken and infested 

Would probably be a little hard to breathe there, I believe Eris doesn't have an atmosphere to speak of. It's just a big ball of rock. Now, maybe above ground or subterranean structures with artifical atmosphere would probably be needed.

I want to see an abandoned Orokin settlement that is filled with Sentients, Infested, and other Tau critters running around the area. Find some old Orokin lore monuments and areas to further flesh out their Empire, and use the "time travel" like rifts to be able to view back into important moments in history.

I like the infested theme they are going for, but I would make the world more dynamic. Have fights between are allied NPCs and the faction we are fighting. Like based on the map we can take or retake. Also those places made 2 ways 1 when we own it and one where we don’t. Set up guards turrets have attacks come. 

Like in fortuna and POE we have these locations and we have 2 factions fighting for the land, but it really just feels like us vs them. Even just 7 NPC guards and a few turrets would feel a lot better.

I'd go for a centrifuge space station, with segments docking in and off, over the week.

Or maybe a fully infested planet with lots of reactive environmental hazards and a Jordus style overmind, that you have to weak and sabotage

I assume that either infested or sentient will be the next faction with an open world..

• Like 2

I think the openworld I'd like to see the most is Mars, for two reasons:

Mars has fantastic terrain opportunities, breathtaking canyons with houses carved into the red rockface, vast, arid deserts with underground settlements and maybe some sort of orokin-enhanced oasises. Oh yeah and more sandskate floofs.

Besides looking fantastic, Mars is one of the few planets that are disputed with multiple factions inhabiting it. If I were to design a Mars openworld, I'd make it as an active warzone with Corpus in the north, Grineer in the south and maybe some sort of civilian faction caught in the crossfire. Bounties would aim to sabotage the war effort on both sides and could possibly work like invasions - Help out the Grineer by sabotaging Corpus facilities and vice versa.

• Like 3

If I had complete creative control over it, I'd do a crossfire Mars (so Grineer and Corpus) and it would be designed like Ubisoft designs some of their open worlds (more AC Origins and GR Wildlands, less AC Odyssey and GR Breakpoint). It would be paired with a cinematic quest that's structured more like a single player campaign. I wouldn't dare suggest that DE do it, though, because I don't think they make good open world expansions (I don't like PoE or Orb Vallis). Only if I had full creative control would I suggest something like that, and since my having full creative control is literally impossible, my idea is not something I suggest for DE. Kinda hope Orb Vallis would remain the last open world they do.

Here's an older concept done a while back by TheVeiledScion:

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/912673-elysian-fields-and-proxy-wars-diverse-landscapes-integrated-gameplay-and-a-new-chapter-for-warframe/

Edited by TheGildedOni

1 minute ago, Bryuf said:

I think the openworld I'd like to see the most is Mars, for two reasons:

Mars has fantastic terrain opportunities, breathtaking canyons with houses carved into the red rockface, vast, arid deserts with underground settlements and maybe some sort of orokin-enhanced oasises. Oh yeah and more sandskate floofs.

Besides looking fantastic, Mars is one of the few planets that are disputed with multiple factions inhabiting it. If I were to design a Mars openworld, I'd make it as an active warzone with Corpus in the north, Grineer in the south and maybe some sort of civilian faction caught in the crossfire. Bounties would aim to sabotage the war effort on both sides and could possibly work like invasions - Help out the Grineer by sabotaging Corpus facilities and vice versa.

Someone did this a while ago in the fan concepts area. I can try to dig it up. However, I doubt there are any civilian colonists left on Mars after the Grineer Genocide.

• Like 2

Less about it being open roam, and more about turning some locations into actual hubs for immersion: Turning Phobos and kuva fort into a single open roam map. Entering different ships at Phobos or different locations around the fort acts as gates to the specific game mode nodes on the star map. While adding new things to do on the outsides of these locations.

Edited by Firetempest

25 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

I think they showed off concepts for an Eris open world in a devstream but I can't remember which.

It's mentioned in devstream 136 but they refer to it as microplanets (AKA large railjack points of interests) instead of openworlds. Still super cool thought

Spoiler

56918692347d415d8a53d07a1235e2f8.jpg

• Like 2

an infested maze where we could finally enhance infested weapons with special mutagenes that drop there.

a giant jungle of infested growths for the perfect sightseeing with some occasional mass murder and looting.

• Like 1

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Xydeth:

an infested maze where we could finally enhance infested weapons with special mutagenes that drop there.

"Infecto Mutalist Cernos" instead of poison it deals now Korrosion damage. Also it has a lower charge time. 🤤🤤🤤

Where is the +10like button, if you need it?

• Like 1