Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Xoris Interactions With Warframe Abilities & Exalted Weapons

[DE]Megan

Greetings, Tenno!

Within The Deadlock Protocol Quest brought the Xoris: a Glaive weapon capable of chaining Melee Combos infinitely. The design intention behind the infinite combo mechanic was predominantly added for the Granum Void’s charged throw moments, to allow you to retain your charges until you were ready. This mechanic opened up new avenues for Melee builds to maximize this infinite Melee Combo Duration, which is great! 

However, the overwhelming Damage output of certain Warframe Abilities was not our intention with an infinite Melee Combo weapon, and the conversation of ‘Xoris or you’re doing it wrong’ is greatly restrictive in terms of player choice. This was our oversight, our mistake, and we apologize for the time it took to formulate a plan and address this. So let’s break down our plans:

Our plan is not to nerf the base powers of the Warframes involved, or the Mods that amplify the issue (Blood Rush / Weeping Wounds / Gladiator Mod Set), as doing so isn’t fair as it’s a reaction to a single weapon. In turn, we have planned to only change the interactions with the Xoris directly. 

The first issue: The Xoris’ infinite Melee Combo Duration directly amplifies the Damage output of certain Warframe Abilities that won't reset/decay unless you detonate the Xoris manually using heavy attack, or if you die. Thus scaling with Warframe Abilities that are amplified by your Melee Combo multiplier (Ash Blade Storm, Atlas Landslide, and Khora Whipclaw), and even more so when equipped with Blood Rush or Weeping Wounds.

The second issue: The interaction with the Xoris and Gladiator Mod Set for Warframe Exalted weapons. The Gladiator Mod Set bonus is being carried over from the equipped Melee to the Exalted Warframe weapons such as Baruuk’s Serene Storm, Excalibur’s Exalted Blade, Valkyr’s Talons and Wukong’s Iron Staff.

The solution: The change coming with The Steel Path Update is to have the affected Warframe Exalted Abilities / Exalted weapons reset the Melee Combo Counter ONLY if the Xoris is being used. What you’ll see now is the Critical Chance bonus applying to the first hit on abilities that are intended to scale with regular Melee Combo Multiplier, but then the Melee Combo is reset by the Ability, and does not apply to subsequent hits unless you build it up again with Xoris itself. Exalted Melee ultimates will reset the Xoris' Melee Combo Counter at the time of cast. As stated above, we are doing this because restricting your choice to a single weapon for indisputable best performance invalidates all others and such an interaction does not warrant changes to base Warframes as a whole. 

In conclusion, Warframe Abilities / Exalted Warframe weapons affected by this are:

• Ash Bladestorm
  • Atlas Landslide
  • Baruuk Serene Storm
  • Excalibur Exalted Blade
  • Khora Whipclaw
  • Valkyr Talons
  • Wukong Iron Staff

Special note: Gara’s Shattered Lash will now scale with Melee Combo Counter, to be consistent with Khora Whipclaw and Atlas Landslide. The same Xoris restriction will still apply.

TLDR: Certain Warframe Abilities and Exalted weapons will reset the Melee Combo Counter only if the Xoris is being used.

We’ll be continuing to observe how the Xoris interacts with the above when The Steel Path Update arrives in your hands, and our apologies again for the wait. 

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

Exalted Melee ultimates will reset the Xoris' Melee Combo Counter at the time of cast. As stated above, we are doing this because restricting your choice to a single weapon for indisputable best performance invalidates all others and such an interaction does not warrant changes to base Warframes as a whole. 

Why not just go back to how it originally worked then, and have the Gladiator set work off of the Exalted weapons combo? Why was that even changed in the first place?

That way you can use whatever melee weapon you want, Xoris or otherwise.

hace 5 minutos, [DE]Megan dijo:

Special note: Gara’s Shattered Lash will now scale with Melee Combo Counter, to be consistent with Khora Whipclaw and Atlas Landslide. The same Xoris restriction will still apply.

So such scaling will affect Gara's Mass Vitrify explosion?

Okay so for once I must say, I like this cause when this weapon got into the game the meta was only that and the mass amount of damage you could use so it became very narrow in what choices you had while using specific frames, I can't speak for everyone here but as someone who plays Limbo quite regually now, this doesn't effect me much but I'm thinking of those that use those specific warframes mentioned

5 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:
  • Ash Bladestorm
  • Atlas Landslide
  • Baruuk Serene Storm
  • Excalibur Exalted Blade
  • Khora Whipclaw
  • Valkyr Talons
  • Wukong Iron Staff

You really didn't have any freedom in what you did cause you know, the Xoris is so op in their capabilities and honestly it bough my joy down seeing how busted it was and made me move away from playing wukong all together but once this update drops, I'm looking forward to this and see how the meta will slowly get back to where it was and enjoyable from personal experience.

TLDR: I like this change as now more melee's can be used with the specific warframes other then only xoris, if you don't like it well than it's your personal opinion and this is mine.

You want to know an even easier solution? Make it so that these abilities are separately mod-able, like exalted weapons are. I have mostly heard of people using this as a stat stick for khora, atlas, etc. so an easier fix would be to make it so that you could mod those abilities so you don't have to worry about this. I don't know why that isn't a thing as it is. 

While a part of me is a bit sad to see this hilarious buff get shot down, I can at least understand it. With this said, however, will DE be addressing the fact that Riven Mods on stat sticks for Khora / Atlas / Gara still give their massively increased bonuses to Warframe Abilities? I feel like that has been a much larger and more noxious issue than the Xoris' hilarious fun Big Number Effect.

What the xoris did: Allowed you to go not naramon or Swift momentum.
What it didn't do: Increase your damage. It just makes gameplay less clunky.
The balance for the thing came from the fact that you were unable to use good riven mods as the dispo is and should have stayed bad instead of nerfing the weapon itself.

The true fix should have been to simply make exalted weapons to scale with their own combo instead of the gladiator set buffing your exalted weapon by reading your normal melees combo.

But oh well, I can't say I didn't see it coming.

2 minutes ago, Malziel said:

With this said, however, will DE be addressing the fact that Riven Mods on stat sticks for Khora / Atlas / Gara still give their massively increased bonuses to Warframe Abilities? I feel like that has been a much larger and more noxious issue than the Xoris' hilarious fun Big Number Effect.

Probably not as you need to get the Riven first, while this weapon was handed out to everyone. There is still a lot of RNG involved to get that setup.

27.5.4 - 28.0.7

Garuda's Talons are still unaffected by Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds, and the Gladiator set bonus. All of these are still equippable with no effect or set effect.

Exalted melee weapons are still unaffected by the Gladiator set bonus. These set mods are still equippable with no set effect.

4 minutes ago, --Raid-Master-Qued said:

They are nerfing an OP interaction. Why people hate nerfs?

Because how the nerfs have occurred and how often they've been occurring and the pattern in which we weren't supposed to enjoy in OUR way whereas they wanted us to enjoy in THEIR way.

3 minutes ago, Cyrces said:

So such scaling will affect Gara's Mass Vitrify explosion?

It probably will. The issue is that you're never gonna be building combo with the thing. As with gara as soon as you go in to melee range you'll instagib the units and the explosion doesn't build combo spamming 1 on to enemies also doesn't sound like that interesting of a gameplay style as you do more than enough damage with your wall blasts or 2.

2 minutes ago, Kylo. said:

Doesn't Valkyr's Talons have it's on Combo and Gladiator Set works of that?

It used to, but it randomly and silently (so far as I could see) was changed to only work off your actual melee weapons combo, which is nonsense.

Archived