The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross Save / Cross Play / Cross Platform / Cross Progress / Account Transfer / Account Migration Megathread

(PSN)CagzJohn06

Warframe accounts can’t be transferred between platforms. There are technical barriers that prevent us from being able to move accounts between console and PC. In the past, we offered account migration between PC and PS4. We later did the same for PC to Xbox One and PC to Nintendo Switch. In those cases, we were able to work with different companies to make account migration available for a limited time in celebration of Warframe’s launch on new platforms, but account migration is not available regularly.

We don’t have plans to make account migration available again in the future, but you are welcome to start another account! We don’t have any problem with players having accounts on multiple platforms.

- [DE]Drew
2018-06-29

In my opinion the technical barrier is not a matter of coding, but more like contracts between companies and manual support.  After all. different platforms share different builds, it would painful to synchronise accounts irregularly.

On 2020-10-14 at 10:16 AM, (NSW)DracoHouston said:

I doubt they'd ever get crossplay working without dedicated servers, which is a whole other can of worms. As far as I can tell, the devs are very dismissive about crossplay because getting there would be a huge undertaking.

Totally agree with this - it rarely gets mentioned in these discussions, but the games people often hold up as examples of cross play are based on a client-server model. Warframe is peer to peer. I don't pretend to know the complexity behind the scenes, but switching from one design pattern of infrastructure to another is not something that is undertaken lightly. I think there would need to be a very robust business case to justify the expense. 

10 hours ago, (NSW)KitsuneSP said:

Explaining this in as few words as possible.

Basically, my switch is slowly dying and is barely playable, and it looks like my only options are losing all the progress I've made so far and have to start from scratch on my PC, or wait and pray for a miracle to happen and cross-save implemented.

Are these really my only two options? Is there really no way to transfer my data to PC, just this one time?

Well you're not losing anything, you're just not getting your progress copied to another platform. If you get another Switch or borrow one all your progress is still there, nothing has gone.

But no, there is no way at all to transfer from a console to PC, never has been and I doubt there ever will be, DE want it but I doubt they'll ever get the legal side sorted out enough for it to be a smooth experience.

10 hours ago, (NSW)KitsuneSP said:

2. Battery dies way too often, this one was kinda expected and can be fixed with by playing it docked, but I use my PC most of the times, and my monitor doesn't have the "picture in picture" feature.

3. It rebooted itself once, dunno why.

Sounds like overheat.

I don't own a switch, so I don't really know what's the usual longevity of it. Usually, a fast Battery drain means its is giving out too much energy as heat, which causes a raise in temperature. Electronics are very delicate, so the switch has a safety feature to shut itself down / reboot before it reaches critical.

Excess heat and low battery are known to cause problems onto touch screens, especially on phones (Have personally experienced it on my phone too). Maybe that's the cause of your "ghost touches"? Either that, or its haunted.

When you sent it onto repair, did you also ask them to check the battery and/or the battery connection ports? Usually, those are where heat is most radiated out. (Though, they should tell you regardless if they find any other problems).

Even PCs can have the same problem, whether or not its charging or not. 

1 hour ago, SHArK-FiN said:

- [DE]Drew
2018-06-29

You do realise that DE mentioned "working on" cross-saves (effectively, account transfers) at multiple points during devstreams over the past year? That sounds to me that it supersedes the quote from 2018. Cross-saves have become much more common in games since 2018, so the situation has clearly changed.

Of course, there are still difficulties with implementing cross-saves (not technical - contractual). But these are are not insurmountable as long as DE thinks this is a feature they want to implement. And since this is a highly requested feature (there seem to be at least 2-3 new threads per week asking for it on this forum alone), it's a feature that is likely to come out sooner rather than later. Especially since the console generation is changing this year, and a lot of people will be thinking of migrating (and not just upgrading).

2 minutes ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

You do realise that DE mentioned "working on" cross-saves (effectively, account transfers) at multiple points during devstreams over the past year? That sounds to me that it supersedes the quote from 2018. Cross-saves have become much more common in games since 2018, so the situation has clearly changed.

Why would anyone compare cross-save and account migration? 

32 minutes ago, SHArK-FiN said:

Because an account migration's sole purpose is to allow you to start using your account on a different platform.

"Cross-save" is a system where you can start using your account on a different platform AND use it on the original platform as well (with progress being preserved).

If you can think of anything you can do with account migration that you can't do with cross-save, please enlighten me.

49 minutes ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

If you can think of anything you can do with account migration that you can't do with cross-save, please enlighten me.

It's not about one method could do things that another cannot, it's about how one works differently to another.

One of which regarding to login is that PC uses mail clients of your own choice, PS uses Sony accounts, Xbox uses Xbox Live profile, NSW uses Nintendo accounts.

Each of them are required to log into their own platforms but couldn't be used on the others.

A cross-save should require connection between said accounts which requires warframe to work on a separate media that gather all those information. While a migration is from one platform to another, requiring only switching the login method.

3 minutes ago, SHArK-FiN said:

Simple, one of which is to log into the same game profile with different platforms accounts. PC uses mail clients of your own choice, PS uses sony accounts, Xbox uses Xbox Live profile, NSW uses Nintendo Accounts.

All of them are required for their own platforms but couldn't be used on the others.

A cross-save would require linkage between said accounts which requires warframe to work on a separate platform that gather all those information.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What you described seems like something you could do with cross-save but NOT with account migration. The question was if there was something you COULD NOT do with cross-save, but COULD do with account migration - not the other way round.

"to log into the same game profile with different platforms accounts" is pretty much the definition of "cross-save".

3 minutes ago, SHArK-FiN said:

@(NSW)BalticBarbarian Sorry about my lack of knowledge that couldn't answer your question in the most detailed and intelligent way. You might find more answers if you look it up on the internet, it's a treasury.

What are you talking about? You wrote something that does not seem to make any sense - so I asked you to clarify what you meant. You're the only person who knows what you were trying to write.

13 hours ago, (NSW)KitsuneSP said:

Are these really my only two options? Is there really no way to transfer my data to PC, just this one time?

Unfortunately not. Have you looked into having your Switch serviced? Maybe it's something that could be fixed without having to replace the whole thing.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

@(NSW)BalticBarbarian Sorry about my lack of knowledge that couldn't answer your question in the most detailed and intelligent way. You might find more answers if you look it up on the internet, it's a treasury.

Editing your original comment in order to pretend you didn't write a load of gibberish and then writing this pretentious response when someone asked you to clarify is not very polite of you, but we can skip that point.

Back to what your (edited) comment:

2 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

It's not about one method could do things that another cannot, it's about how one works differently to another.

I'm pretty sure that nobody cares about how this works internally. What people are looking for is to be able to start their Warframe account on one platform and then continue using it on a different platform, without losing progress. That is precisely what the OP is asking (and he's willing to pay for it).

This can be achieved both with a one-time account transfer or with a cross-save system. So to answer your original question:

4 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

Because they achieve exactly the same effect as far as the OP's question is concerned. And cross-save is much more likely to be implemented in Warframe.

12 hours ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

this has been long dealt with

Wont happen, not because DE don't want to it.   

Because the Console companies wont release their data to others.  

you started on Console your stuck there, never gonna get off it and nothing DE can  do

What if DE made a tool that let users manually transfer/synchronize their data over by selecting mastered items, owned items, cosmetics, etc... they have on their PC/Console account. Pay DE support this fee to compare both accounts and "approve" the manual transfer. Manual data entry... pretty stone age stuff...

Sounds painful to have to manually do it yourself... DE support is notoriously slow too.  But it doesn't directly involve the console companies! Just the players and a profile inspection by DE.

Because Sony and Microsoft (and now presumably Nintendo) do not want to allow Console-to-PC or Console-to-Console (between manufacturers) cross-save or account transfers, as it would allow users to leave said platform and purchase platinum on other platforms, resulting in a loss of players/users and a drop in potential revenue from platinum sales.

On 2020-10-14 at 8:16 PM, ALittleBrother said:

Since I come from ps4 and I have been addicted to Warframe again on PC. I was thinking of people paying a fee for them to transfer over their progress from Ps4>PC or from XB1>PC. Maybe a fee like $30-$40 for the account to validly work on PC or vise versa.

That would literally be "pay to play"

that's not the Warframe Way, Ninjas Play Free.

Seems to me if Bungie can do it anyone can. Just has to be the will to do so inside of DE. Hopefully with more and more titles being cross save they are feeling the pressure. Hope you all keep it up too. The more folks that ask and push for this to happen the better the chance is it will!! Cheers for pushing!!!

:)

On 2020-10-17 at 8:26 AM, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

That would literally be "pay to play"

that's not the Warframe Way, Ninjas Play Free.

B2p. P2p is when you pay every month.

But as far as I understand, the OP will be happy with a simple copy of the account, only on a different platform. And this will already be like 2 accounts, including all cosmetic items, the total cost of which may be more than $ 30. But without the possibility of syncronization, it won't be crossplay, it will just be 2 accounts.

On 2020-10-14 at 8:32 PM, Jorak_Falconstar said:

this has been long dealt with

Wont happen, not because DE don't want to it.   

Because the Console companies wont release their data to others.  

you started on Console your stuck there, never gonna get off it and nothing DE can  do

But that is not the case... there are a ton of games now that have cross play enabled. I log back and forth between PC and PS4 playing Dauntless all day every day... 

This is heartbreaking... PS5 is right around the corner... and I am not making the jump. I invested in PC and have no intention of going back. Meanwhile I have a Warframe account, with 1700+ hours and hundreds upon hundreds of dollars invested into that I am supposed to just let rot. 

I want to play Warframe SOOO bad but the idea of starting fresh on PC is a absolute non-starter.

DE... Please... PLEASE do something about this. </3

Archived