Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I know why the Corpus have awful Captains

-Vahagn-

I'm gonna be real here, the Corpus have terrible ship Captains. I get the feeling they don't know what they are doing half the time so they just throw random stuff at us. Plus their orders to the crew when they are being boarded is basically "just do something".

Though this made me realize a problem with the corpus command structure as a whole. The captains are not really experienced or skilled captains, but rather people who bribed their way into the position. Probably thinking it would be an easy job and they would not have to deal with Tenno.

I think you're reading too much into it, it's just a gameplay element disguised as commanders speaking so the players knows what to expect & how to react

"Launch torpedoes" means you'll have to dodge to evade them

"Send a Crewship" means there is another enemy that spawn on the battlefield

"Send an ice shard" means you must dodge it if you don't want one of your systems to be frozen

"Launch ramsleds" means you must be careful as not to get boarded

Nothing to do with deep Corpus lore here

my main gripe with captains is not being able to actually fight them, are they in some kind of fully sealed command room that we can't access? would be better if we could encounter the captain themselves and fight them in combat. they could be given more health & shields and special weapons to make them a sufficient threat.

also love how they reckon their attacks will "tear that railjack to shreds", when I'm tanking dozens of fighters, 2 crewships and a Void Storm all at once and my shields aren't even depleted. 

42 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

my main gripe with captains is not being able to actually fight them, are they in some kind of fully sealed command room that we can't access? would be better if we could encounter the captain themselves and fight them in combat. they could be given more health & shields and special weapons to make them a sufficient threat.

also love how they reckon their attacks will "tear that railjack to shreds", when I'm tanking dozens of fighters, 2 crewships and a Void Storm all at once and my shields aren't even depleted. 

Fighting the captains is what railjack liches was suppose to be about.

To be on topic, there will be always a dissonance between the needs of gameplay and veracity of the lore. Thinking that corpus captains have bought their way up is pretty on point in my opinion too.

I could believe the buying their command it is the corpus after all.

I have also have run into quite a few bad mangers at my jobs with the trend being they just kissed the right peoples boots or were just around long enough that the position was offered to them due to their "experience" which I could also see that being applied in this situation with the corpus.  Figure if you have survived long enough you must have done something right considering having the tenno running around so much even if that was just locking yourself into a closet to hide. 

4 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Corpus Fighter: WE ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO TAKE ON A RAILJACK!

• "Ring the bell! It's dinner time!"
  • "I can't shake them. Wait, *gasp* I CAN'T SHAKE THEM!"
  • "I DON'T WANNA DI-"
  • "Well this sucks *static*"
  • "I've got their attention! All fighters! Flank them!"
  • "This is not, going well."
  • "AAAHHHHHH *static*"
  • "*heavy breathing*"
4 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Corpus Captain:

• "This is Granum space, target the freeloaders!"
  • "If those looters want a fight, they'll get one."
  • "If those Tenno, aren't eliminated. There will be NO BONUSES for anyone!"
  • "Intercept those Tenno! Any damage they dealt will be deduced from your salaries!"
  • "I wanted them DEAD! Not only are they alive, but they are on my ship! Fix. This!"
  • "Helmets on, shields up! And exterminate those Tenno rats! Move!"
  • "Oh for Void sake. Troops! Find them, kill them, and DO NOT speak to me until it is done!"
  • "You failed to keep the Tenno from boarding! Intercept them at once!"
  • "Why is their signal no longer blocked?!"
  • "Jamming drones, report in! Jamming Drones!"
  • "The Tenno have unjammed their damn signal!"
  • "You were suppose to keep those drones operational!"
  • "How am I suppose to block their signal without my drones?"
  • "Those drones were our database's best defense!"
  • "What. Happened. To. My. Drones?"

I mean, the gameplay explanation is that the Corpus are a newer RJ faction and aren't as well designed yet. 

But it's a fun lore explanation you gave and it makes sense. The Corpus command structure, especially under Nef, has become more about bribery, cunning and personal power, than being a skilled and disciplined leader.

Of course, Parvos may change that soon enough...

Hmm , i have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand i can accept that the captain bribed their way to the top, but i do not think you can command a fleet without atleast some bare minimum competence and cunning.

With a fully outfitted railjack the missions are no more difficult than regular star chart missions , if we had an enemy giving minute by minute updates in regular star chart missions (Vay hek yeah) we would consider them incompetent and unsuitable to lead as well. The grineer missions dont even have any captain dialogues, just CY .

So let us accept that they are probably good enough captains, its just that they are facing a threat that is significantly stronger than their current power. like spearmen trying to pierce a panzer.

I do wish we could fight the captains, they do give off a cold "these aren't my crew , these are resources for me to use up as i see fit" vibe.

I expect once the next update launches we will have captains we can fight (for corpus and grineer)

I think that DE should reformulate the dialog part of the corpus missions ... there is a lot of noise pollution. The dialogues should be cut or reduced by around 50% or more. The grinner missions in my opinion are the best in all aspects ... graphics, sounds, dialogs and effects. Corpus missions need a lot more attention.

Archived