The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Void shell skins confuse me.

-Acquardio-

So the ability to change textures on your frame only apply to the void shell skins, but didn't Rebecca say on stream that only 3 or 4 void shell skins will come with the AoZ update?? Is something that's supposed to be universal fashion wise only going to be available on a small handful of frames? I love the new fashion mechanic but will it really only be available for 4 frames on launch D:, is there anyway the texturing can be applied to base frame skins (like the default default skins)?

You realise there's around 50 odd warframes right? 😂 They'll get around to the others eventually. It takes time to design those skins after all. Add on top development of everything else coming out with the update and yeah. If anything I'm rather surprised there's 4 ready and not less.

As for why this system wasn't applied to base/other skins, they explained why in the stream. TLDR a mountain of work for very little net gain.

It is honestly so... confusing.

Like they obviously know the players want the material customization, as they presented is as such big new thing...

And then casually added that it is only for a certain set of skins which may or may not even include all of the warframes, and deluxes and Tennogen are entirely out of the question.

Just, why bother then? It isn't what material customization means. They will inevitably get a lot of negativity about it. And they already spent lots of resources on it anyway.

I swear sometimes I can't help but question DE's competence.

3 minutes ago, ant99999 said:

And then casually added that it is only for a certain set of skins which may or may not even include all of the warframes, and deluxes and Tennogen are entirely out of the question.

Just, why bother then? It isn't what material customization means. They will inevitably get a lot of negativity about it. And they already spent lots of resources on it anyway.

DE Rebecca and DE Geoff already explain why , they have to basically redo every skin for this to work , and as they said they got 9 years of content to go over .

That is no small feat to undertake .

28 minutes ago, Numerikuu said:

You realise there's around 50 odd warframes right?

Yup. The void skins don't need to be complicated (as in how they look). They can (at fist glance) look as basic as immortal skins since we can change the textures around.

Pablo talked about how they would have to go through every skin individually and how that would be a huge task. 

I'd prefer that it was just a new feature for all skins past, present and future but I can kind of understand not going through every skin that's been released too, 

4 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

DE Rebecca and DE Geoff already explain why , they have to basically redo every skin for this to work , and as they said they got 9 years of content to go over .

That is no small feat to undertake .

I understand that. But what they ended up doing is not what was asked. It would've been totally reasonable for them to just say "we can't", or to only limit the change to Operator cosmetics.

Instead they ended up with this band-aid solution which I fear will do them more harm than good.

4 minutes ago, ant99999 said:

I understand that. But what they ended up doing is not what was asked. It would've been totally reasonable for them to just say "we can't", or to only limit the change to Operator cosmetics.

Instead they ended up with this band-aid solution which I fear will do them more harm than good.

Ah I see where you're coming from. This might just be a new brand of skins. Like Deluxe, Immortal, Tennogen. It doesn't seem like DE intend to do every skin from now on into this type.

1 minute ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

To be able to do texture customization on each skin DE has to remake every single skin into this new type.

That's not what was being asked, I brought up the possibility to apply it to every default frame skin. Not prime, tennogen, or deluxe. But either way I understand the work load is giant for what they plan to do already. But I'm afraid that they're gonna just bang out all the skins for popular frames first (saryn is already confirmed and if wisp includes the confirmed 4 im gonna blow my brains out) and then slowly add them for the rest of the frames or straight up forget about them.

The void shell skins honestly disappoint me.

It sounds like instead of this being the new standard for future skins, it will be limited to the few they release over time. So future prime frames, deluxe skins, tennogen, etc, etc will still use the old system, which if that's the case is a massive misstep imo.

IDK about anyone else but I have almost 0 interest in being able to change the textures of default skins, especially when I have to buy most of the textures and I wont be able to use them on the vast majority of content.

Even if the devs said they would try and change the old skins over to the new system but it might take 5+ years until everything is caught up, or even if this is the new standard of customization, I would be way more excited to drop money on the textures. But as it stands now, no way.

2 hours ago, ant99999 said:

They *did*. Just go watch the Devstream, it answers everything you're asking.

I really just hope that this system becomes normal for all skins at a certain point going forward. I understand not wanting to backtrack, but if the tech is working, they should at least try to make all future stuff use it.

If they can, I would love to see them slowly go back and do some passes on maybe base skins and primes. Warframes only too, don't worry about weapons. I definitely would want them to take their time with it instead of rushing.

Could they not write some sort of program that can procedurally convert old skins into the new custom material format? Then, once the initial work was done, they could just run the skins through the program. No manual tweaking required. It is not like the actual shape of the mesh geometry would need to change like they have to do to match old Operator outfits to the Drifter. That is more understandable in terms of needing manual changes than the skin formats.

5 hours ago, Acquardio_ said:

look as basic as immortal skins since we can change the textures around.

You can change the texture and NOT the design of the skin...

I rather wait for a good skin design than use some trash with different material...

If their coding require manual work to add new textures/colors for skins, that would be a hella lot of work... imagine 50+frames, each with at least 2 customizable items (helmet + body)...then multiply it by the amount of different textures/colors... see? Not something they can do from day to night.

I look forward to about 6 or 7 warframes actually getting these fancy new skins, and none of the really old frames that so desperately need it, before DE gets distracted by another shiny new system they'll add in 6 months. Just like every other refresh system they've added to the game :(

5 hours ago, -QUILL_PETER- said:

They *did*. Just go watch the Devstream, it answers everything you're asking.

You didn't really read my posts, did you?

Ok, let me repeat this.

Players were asking to add material customization. DE couldn't do that for the reasons they stated (too much work). They could just not do it and explain it honestly to players. They could add customization, but only for Operators. Or only for deluxes.

What they did instead is neither. They just made completely new skins which was never asked for. Which is what I call a band-aid solution.

It's not too big of a problem, honestly. I'm now more concerned about the people on Forums repeatedly not getting what I say which is kind of frustrating.

11 hours ago, Acquardio_ said:

Is something that's supposed to be universal fashion wise only going to be available on a small handful of frames?

I don't think you appreciate how Time Consuming Texture Painting and 3D Modelling is ... Let alone turning these into Tools For player Customizations 👀

10 hours ago, (XBOX)Cram Duahcim said:

They have nearly 50 warframes ti do this for.....along with Drifter AND Operator.

I think 4 at launch is more then reasonable.

You know !!! 👍

10 hours ago, ant99999 said:

Well.... Then why don't you try your hand at making some Tennogen yourself.... 👀

6 hours ago, NeoRetro10K said:

Could they not write some sort of program that can procedurally convert old skins into the new custom material format?

They probably could... And it's going to have Terrible Results.... This is what they plan on doing for Drifter Cosmetics.... And when those come out.... You'l see why they didn't do this for Void Shells... 👀

1 minute ago, Lutesque said:

Well.... Then why don't you try your hand at making some Tennogen yourself.... 👀

Because I'm not an artist, nor do I know how to model. I'm sure some of the people out there will come up with designs far greater than I could ever even imagine.

And what does it have to do with anything I've said exactly?

3 hours ago, ant99999 said:

What they did instead is neither. They just made completely new skins which was never asked for. Which is what I call a band-aid solution.

what they did is give an alternative. dont think its enough? dont use it. but lets not pretend that anything else wouldnt get called "bandaid" by some other player somewhere. 

the "completely new skins" are just the base models of the frames with some small changes, that is really it. 

I am at peace with it now.

Game will have a bunch of second rate skins in their game, forever, reminding them of their oversight in not doing it from day 1, as they obviously should have.

Now they telling us it's too much work to do it now, well lol, and whose fault is that?

I'd bet you anything, if you went back to the alpha test forums 10 years ago, you had a bunch of dedicated players telling them it would only come back on them down the road, being ignored.

Archived