Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I would really like for Stalker to become more developped

Vegetranic

Stalker, or Stalky, as I like to call him. Has been an enemy, rival and now, reluctant ally to the Tenno. We can now even play as him in Duviri, but what do we actually know about him?

He is such a fascinating character, and I wish to know more about him. Why does he look so much like a warframe? Is he a warframe? Why is he then hunting down other Warframes?

I understand that some of his appeal is the fact that we know so little about him, but still, I fear he may become a mess if he is not fleshed out. Like why is he helping the tenno/Drifter out in Duviri, after the deal between Drifter and hunhow has expired after The New War?

Adding to this, personally, if Stalker is a Warframe, I really REALLY hope that canonically, he becomes the personal Warframe of Drifter, but that is more, wishfull thinking of a fan fiction, rather than the problem at hand. 

All in all, I really do hope he gets expanded upon in the future. And also what is your opinion on this? Are you against what i suggested or do you agree?

• Like 3

just remember.
ujQ4lWE.png

i think this would be a great idea, he is a character that deserves a more fleshed out backstory.

Spoiler

atleast why is he helping the tenno in Duviri when  i dont really see a reason why he would want to help???

Hunhow had a reason to help during The New War, but why is he helping and to the massive degree he is in Duviri???

(like, he is literally giving you stalker's body to control, the TENNO, the one he vowed to kill).

so ya i would 1000% like more reason to this tbh.

Edited by (NSW)Royal_Elf_Mika

1 hour ago, (NSW)Royal_Elf_Mika said:

(like, he is literally giving you stalker's body to control, the TENNO, the one he vowed to kill).

Here's the thing: The Drifter is not a Tenno. They had nothing to do with the Tenno slaughtering the Orokin

1 hour ago, Vegetranic said:

Why is he then hunting down other Warframes?

This is at least partly addressed in his Codex entry, of which the tl;dr is: he's mad about the Tenno massacring the Orokin.

Why does he look so much like a warframe?

I think he straight up is a frame. It's been a while since I played Second Dream, but if memory serves, he hesitates when it came to killing the actual Tenno. Possibly because he didn't realise that "Tenno" weren't frames, just like us (at the time it dropped). He could kill the frames just fine, but he couldn't as easily kill a "defenseless" child.

I'd be curious to see the "real" Stalker, like Rell or Umbra Excal. Have him meet a Tenno in the flesh (unless he's like Umbra and Stalker's not a puppet like frames are).
As for why he's helping "Tenno" in Duviri: he isn't. He's helping Drifter, who is not "Tenno". I'm more curious if he's there for a reason beyond "hey, people wanted to play as Stalker, so here". Why he helps the Drifter protect the Lotus in TNW I have no clue on. The Lotus was the Tenno's handler when the Empire fell, but he appears to just be working for Hunhow now, so maybe it was just boss's orders.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BatVenomPL said:

Here's the thing: The Drifter is not a Tenno. They had nothing to do with the Tenno slaughtering the Orokin

He was very much willing to gut the Drifter when he arrived at Hunhow's place. Plus, Hunhow kept calling the Drifter a Tenno, so I think they see both as the same

That's actually really great news for me. Thank you very much for letting me know!

Quote:

"Are there any plans for Stalker Mode?"

"Currently no, but if things go according to plan (fingers crossed) this won't be the last you see of Stalker in 2023, but what that actually means you'll find out at Tennocon (not PvP lol)"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vegetranic said:

That's actually really great news for me. Thank you very much for letting me know!

well I wouldnt hold my breath just yet. Theres been many things they worked on then just dropped. Nemesis system anyone, anyone remember the game mode that would allow you to make your own missions. The new war seemed different too from what was originally shown way back then. I hope we do get a Stalker story tho.

Is he gonna have an evil operator somewhere far far away like the tenno or is he sentient. We'll never know.

4 hours ago, Vegetranic said:

He is such a fascinating character, and I wish to know more about him. Why does he look so much like a warframe? Is he a warframe? Why is he then hunting down other Warframes?

The answers to this are in the game, but in typical DE fashion they aren't explicitly stated and need to be interpreted...which requires information you don't have at the time you first hear them, no less.  In The Second Dream, the Lotus says:

"Within the Moon lies the Reservoir, the secret to your Tenno power. But the secret is dangerous, it drove the Stalker to madness. Forgive my deception, I was only trying to protect you from the same fate."

During the climactic fight of The Second Dream, the Stalker holds your Tenno (Operator) by the throat, and Hunhow says to the Stalker:

"All your dread-long life, you've waited for this moment. But you're asking yourself, 'Was I one of these wretched things?' You know the answer. You still hate them. You still hate yourself."

All the threads add up to the fact that the Stalker is a Tenno.  When they learned the truth that you learn in The Second Dream that you're actually a child controlling a Warframe from afar  it broke them, and now they lash out violently at other Tenno.

4 hours ago, Vegetranic said:

Like why is he helping the tenno/Drifter out in Duviri, after the deal between Drifter and hunhow has expired after The New War?

A few things here.  First, remember that Duviri is affected by a Paradox, which means that its interactions with non-Duviri places don't obey the laws of linear time.  Additionally, while you have completed The New War, there's no requirement that The New War be completed to have Stalker show up in Duviri.  In short, The New War doesn't have anything to do with it.

Another thing to clarify is that the Stalker Warframe appears in Duviri, but it is not being controlled by the Stalker Tenno.  Lots of things to consider there, like the fact that we have no reason to believe the Stalker Tenno has the ability to "release" their connection with their Warframe, which is an ability we only have due to Teshin's mentorship during the events of The War Within.  And as you've suggested, we have no reason to think that the Stalker would help our Tenno.

Additionally, here's what Teshin says about the Warframes that appear in his cave:

"Warframes. Brought here by the paradox. In the world beyond the wall, they were the weapons of a warrior caste called the Tenno.

When I add up all of these pieces, my hypothesis is that it's not that the Stalker is actively helping us, but rather that the Paradox simply manifested the Stalker Warframe in Duviri.  Which seems fitting, since the Stalker Warframe isn't provided as part of a narrative quest, but rather as an optional treat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vegetranic said:

Stalker is a "Low Guardian" who witnessed the Outer Terminus Massacre where the Tenno killed most of the Orokin, including six of the seven Emperors and most of the aristocrats. Stalker swore epic revenge on the Tenno that day

While this is conjecture, I find it most likely Stalker was an ordinary human who somehow acquired a Warframe and decided to Transfer into it, similar to Silvana and how she Transferred into the trees of the Silver Grove

3 hours ago, Vegetranic said:

He was very much willing to gut the Drifter when he arrived at Hunhow's place. 

Drifter was trespassing. But speaking of New War...

5 hours ago, (NSW)Royal_Elf_Mika said:

Hide contents

atleast why is he helping the tenno in Duviri when  i dont really see a reason why he would want to help???

Hunhow had a reason to help during The New War, but why is he helping and to the massive degree he is in Duviri???

so ya i would 1000% like more reason to this tbh.

Remember how the New War ends: with the system rising up against "Narmer" AKA Ballas. And Stalker willingly joined in on that. With a new perspective, he too decided to fight against the last Orokin

• Like 1

we might learn more about him later down the Line, as apparently DE aren't done with him, and since he is already playable, there's a good chance he may eventually become usable in the rest of the game outside of Duviri. as for how, dunno, but might have a lot to do with "fixing" him like we did with Umbra or perhaps even killing/destroying the person that controls him: AFAIK he is in a transference loop like Silvana was in The Silver Grove, so he might have to "die" and then that leaves behind just the frame with it's abilities.

ultimately though, only time will tell.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vegetranic said:

As I said, due to the history between Drifter and Stalker. Personally, I hope Stalker canonically becomes the Drifter's personal warframe at some point. 

THis makes me wonder if the Stalker IS Drifter's Warframe and he Hunts down the Tenno for his own reasons, not just due to the Orokin, if this was a quest choice to kill my (or others) Opeators, I'll mark it as 10/10 best Quest ever, hands down.

If I had to guess, Stalker is a Tenno, the Stalker we've seen so far is where their transference manifest in a Warframe like the others, the WF possibly like Ash from an assassination organization in the Orokin structure. The Stalker operator physically (likely the body in some sort of stasis that amounts to being dead) are in the containment of the Second Dream facility on Lua. Persona wise, like Rell, their mind is completely within the Void at this point, to a degree where they've lost a lot of their orientation and clear memories. Their motivation is they were not a Tenno included in the uprising against the Orokin. Like Rell, the other Tenno possibly excluded them, a possibility could be that perhaps the Stalker was not so much loyal to the Orokin, but might have been influenced in their perception of the Orokin much differently by Margulis than the others. Perhaps, unlike the other Tenno, Stalker on some level was aware that the Lotus is not Margulis, maybe the likes of a Ballas (after he had conspired with Hunhow, he may have had Stalker put in a place to be some sort of contingency plan. A Tenno specialized in assassinating other Tenno, be a useful resource if he saw they betrayal of the Orokin coming). There is a lot to pontificate on there, but with how Hunhow speaks to Stalker, it does more or less hint strongest at him being a Tenno operator, not a more semi-autonomous WF as Umbra Excal is.

Hunhow's conspiracy, to have himself brought low, really makes no sense with the way the story has been unfolded so far. The only way it does is if Hunhow, like Ballas, was so desperate for a change among his kind, to address some flaw they saw, that they sabotaged the course they were on in the only way they had control to. Unlike Ballas with ego, and narcissism, Hunhow I'd speculate stopped the Sentient exterminatus campaign of the origin system because he was not convinced that the Sentients were wise enough to know what the actual consequences of it would be. I wouldn't be surprised if the seed for how Natah developed to be the Lotus was not planted by Hunhow themself as a part of some plan to stop the situation from developing past some point, to force Tenno, Sentient, and Orokin on a course that was not just a three-way winner take all game of genocide.

But, eh, with where the writing has gone, wanting to explore eternalism, as  concept, it sort of leads to the same multiverse tropes, soft retcons (well in that version sure that happened, but in this version...), etc, etc. So in escaping being written into a corner, it more so feels like there is no fate, or deterministic quality of the story now, it can literally go anywhere, for whatever reason, because of the wizardry of parallel realities.

Edited by UilliamNebel

The Sacrifice was intended to be about Stalker instead of Umbra , so see his point of view and tragic backstory, but it got changed mid development. Personally I think Stalkers story is more or less finished and we will only get him as a random visitor and as a side character in future story missions.

Le 12/07/2023 à 13:44, Vegetranic a dit :

I understand that some of his appeal is the fact that we know so little about him, but still, I fear he may become a mess if he is not fleshed out. Like why is he helping the tenno/Drifter out in Duviri, after the deal between Drifter and hunhow has expired after The New War?

First thing : Duviri is before new war.

Second thing : it is never stated that duviri stalker is our stalker or even a shadow stalker.

He don't have the pakal armor , and actually all of the playable stalker skills are modified skills of the normal stalker not the shadow one.

I think there is more chance that duviri stalker is from the drifter timeline and not our operator timeline.

As for after the new war , we don't have real news about that but with pazuul inside erra body I don't think hunhow will let it pass and I think he will find natah/lotus/margulis in order to free erra.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-07-19 at 7:57 PM, (NSW)fonglis said:

First thing : Duviri is before new war.

Second thing : it is never stated that duviri stalker is our stalker or even a shadow stalker.

He don't have the pakal armor , and actually all of the playable stalker skills are modified skills of the normal stalker not the shadow one.

I think there is more chance that duviri stalker is from the drifter timeline and not our operator timeline.

As for after the new war , we don't have real news about that but with pazuul inside erra body I don't think hunhow will let it pass and I think he will find natah/lotus/margulis in order to free erra.

That is actually a really intweresting concept that that stalker is a different one

On 2023-07-19 at 10:57 AM, (NSW)fonglis said:

There is only one Stalker.

To make things clear, I'm going to use the terms "original universe" and "Drifter universe." And the ENTIRE GAME takes place in the original universe. The entire New War? That's in the original universe. We NEVER visit the Drifter universe. We barely even see it, for only like 20 seconds or so. There probably isn't a Stalker in the Drifter universe at all, if there aren't any Tenno there in the first place. 

• Like 2