Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

regarding getting auto melee-ing

nghoomoine4

hey DE. i understand for cross platform players there's no way to auto melee but only for pc players cos they just use 3rd party auto clicker. its a work around but its not that great to have. but then shouldnt this option be available during melee 2.0 update?

19 minutes ago, nghoomoine4 said:

hey DE. i understand for cross platform players there's no way to auto melee but only for pc players cos they just use 3rd party auto clicker. its a work around but its not that great to have. but then shouldnt this option be available during melee 2.0 update?

I don't fully understand what you're saying, but every platform is getting auto-melee.  It's not in the game yet though, which is why you don't currently have it.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, quxier said:

There were lot of melee features abadoned probably. I remember rage mode, aerial set (deimos)

I think it was hard for them to accomodate to a proper melee system in a controller (regarding "E spam"), which is probably why they went with the current one. Ideally you'd be able to combine various buttons, but things are very packed as they are without back buttons.

Edited by NightmareT12

34 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I don't fully understand what you're saying, but every platform is getting auto-melee.  It's not in the game yet though, which is why you don't currently have it.

Melee is already simple enough. Why would they make it into brain dead afk? Forget Wukong, we'll have Vauban with kronen.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, nghoomoine4 said:

DE announced at Tennocon that they're adding auto-melee (finally). They (finally) tried it themselves and realized how huge of a QoL improvement it is. I don't think they provided a timeline but it's Soon™.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:
1 hour ago, quxier said:

There were lot of melee features abadoned probably. I remember rage mode, aerial set (deimos)

I think it was hard for them to accomodate to a proper melee system in a controller (regarding "E spam"), which is probably why they went with the current one. Ideally you'd be able to combine various buttons, but things are very packed as they are without back buttons.

Probably lots of stuffs can be "accommodated" or fixed in all platforms (xbox, ps, nintendo).

For example Aerial set that changes aerial combo were supposed to be executed via normal (not moving) aerial attack (in air press melee button). Can be done in all platform.

Not "abandoned feature" but it would be easy to fit backward melee (move backward + melee), different moves (e.g. via mods; harder it would be via https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1238725-diy-your-own-melee-stances-for-plat/ but still easily fitable in game) and proper combos (e.g. bullet dance forward combo stops your frame). 

23 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:
58 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Melee is already simple enough. Why would they make it into brain dead afk? Forget Wukong, we'll have Vauban with kronen.

If your melee system/combat is not complex then auto-melee is just quality of life feature. That wouldn't make it "brain dead afk".

ps. and Ghoulsaw forward combo would be nice with auto-melee.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Melee is already simple enough. Why would they make it into brain dead afk?

While  clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick may feel extremely cerebral and satisfying to some, I don't know that everyone finds it so immersive or worth the risk of long term nerve damage. 

Fortunately it doesn't sound like they're taking away anyone's personal option to clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick until their  forearms disintegrate.

• Like 18

46 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I've got arthritis and it hurts to press a button as fast as the Warframe melee system requires.  And for people who don't have arthritis, the current melee system risks moving users closer to repetitive motion injuries.  For people who care about these sorts of things, this is a quality of life improvement that gives them access to 100+ melee weapons without the risk of harm.  At present, I exclusively use heavy-attack-only 2H-Nikanas because everything else leads to injury and pain.  Can you imagine how much hope and joy and relief I felt learning that soon I'll be able to use any melee weapon the Circuit provides me with?  It was like coming up for air.

Beyond that though, do you really feel like repeatedly pressing the melee button engages your brain in a way that holding that same button down wouldn't?

Regardless, Reb said that auto-melee would be the "default", which implies that if you dislike it you'll be able to turn it off.

Edited by (PSN)Unstar
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Tiltskillet said:

While  clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick may feel extremely cerebral and satisfying to some, I don't know that everyone finds it so immersive or worth the risk of long term nerve damage. 

Fortunately it doesn't sound like they're taking away anyone's personal option to clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick until their  forearms disintegrate.

Exactly. I believe auto melee is being added as an accessibility option. Personally I love that they are doing this. I am an older player and I regularly have pain in my hands from computer use. One less thing to click a million times is nice.

7 minutes ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

Hopefully we have the option to toggle it off. The "Hold to heavy attack" debacle seems to be coming back in a different form. 

From how it was described it sounds like it will be an optional toggle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I have carpal tunnel, so using melee weapons for extended periods makes one of my hands ache. This would allow me to play a melee-oriented frame for a bit longer. I'm grateful for this upcoming feature.

Edited by Lionsheart89
  • Like 4

I don't suffer from any conditions that prohibit me from rapidly tapping a single button, but I would still appreciate this.  They already did it with the "mash X to perform task" in other parts of the game.  I wouldn't mind seeing this an an option for semi-automatic guns either.  It's not like we don't mash the shoot button as fast as we can anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nghoomoine4 said:

Not all of us PC players use macro auto-clickers. In theory I could, but I don't. Are you going to come to my home and set up such software? No? Then why not have DE make it something that's an accessibility function and let them just ADD it to every platform instead.

I've spent over a year talking about this sort of thing, both with Semi RoF weapons as well as Melee. Got the 7 page feedback pages to prove it too.

An external fix shouldn't be required for a Best Practices Accessibility Option, and Auto-Melee is one of them.

Pablo didn't specifically talk about the Auto-Trigger function during Tennocon, but I'm still hopeful it will be bundled into the Accessibility update. Feel free to join the discussion in the below thread.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

Hopefully we have the option to toggle it off. The "Hold to heavy attack" debacle seems to be coming back in a different form. 

Sounds like it will be an option, but which debacle do you mean?  The only one I know about is where tapping melee too quickly made the game register a heavy attack and burn up all combo.  Since that function was removed entirely, I don't see how auto melee will bring something like that back.

The only thing I'm a little wry about is that auto melee probably kills whatever infinitesimal chance there was DE would try to  make hold-heavy work again.  But the actual benefits of auto melee outweigh that very unlikely possibility afaic.

15 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

Pablo didn't specifically talk about the Auto-Trigger function during Tennocon, but I'm still hopeful it will be bundled into the Accessibility update.

I'm not optimistic.  But I hope they're looking seriously at it and just didn't want to commit to something they hadn't fully worked out yet.

Auto-trigger would make up for a lot of red entries in the ledger I have, the title of which is "How player friendly is DE anyway?"

• Like 4

First criteria for nerfing wukong was "automation", if you remember the 3 criteria never heard of before or since, lol.

Now we got both AoE spam and 'automation' back.

We told you last year, China + mobile, the game is getting automated anyway.

Don't forget it went so far as to also ruin our specters, when you were busy defending it, so they neither have working weapons or abilities at this point.

And it only cost the biggest s-show in warframe history but hey time well spent!!1 WELL worth it.

3 minutes ago, Surbusken said:

First criteria for nerfing wukong was "automation", if you remember the 3 criteria never heard of before or since, lol.

Just because both include the word "auto"  doesn't mean they're the same situation, or have the same benefits and costs.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

2 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I've got arthritis and it hurts to press a button as fast as the Warframe melee system requires.  And for people who don't have arthritis, the current melee system risks moving users closer to repetitive motion injuries.  For people who care about these sorts of things, this is a quality of life improvement that gives them access to 100+ melee weapons without the risk of harm.  At present, I exclusively use heavy-attack-only 2H-Nikanas because everything else leads to injury and pain.  Can you imagine how much hope and joy and relief I felt learning that soon I'll be able to use any melee weapon the Circuit provides me with?  It was like coming up for air.

1 hour ago, Lionsheart89 said:

I have carpal tunnel, so using melee weapons for extended periods makes one of my hands ache. This would allow me to play a melee-oriented frame for a bit longer. I'm grateful for this upcoming feature.

Well for me I play Warframe on controller so my fingers aren't obliterated by pressing RT as opposed to clicking a mouse for hours (nothing against mouse and keyboard, I typically prefer m+k over controller in most games anyways).

Also wouldn't binding melee to scroll wheel do the same thing as auto melee?

2 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Beyond that though, do you really feel like repeatedly pressing the melee button engages your brain in a way that holding that same button down wouldn't?

If you go between multiple combos and stuff, hitting the trigger becomes very satisfying. Even on PC games I prefer clicking to melee as opposed to holding it down (not that I can think of any where people DO hold it down).

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

1 hour ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

They said auto will be on by default, which means that, yes, you'll be able to turn it off

8 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

If you go between multiple combos and stuff, hitting the trigger becomes very satisfying.

They haven't given us any details on the implementation yet, but I had assumed that triggers and directionals would remain intact, as otherwise that would mean removing 25-75% of melee attacks.  My assumption has been that the only thing this option will change is that players will hold the melee button instead of repeatedly tapping it.

All that said, since we don't know for sure I'm eager to see the next Devstream where hopefully they'll go into more detail.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:
3 hours ago, nghoomoine4 said:

Not all of us PC players use macro auto-clickers. In theory I could, but I don't. Are you going to come to my home and set up such software? No? Then why not have DE make it something that's an accessibility function and let them just ADD it to every platform instead.

I've spent over a year talking about this sort of thing, both with Semi RoF weapons as well as Melee. Got the 7 page feedback pages to prove it too.

An external fix shouldn't be required for a Best Practices Accessibility Option, and Auto-Melee is one of them.

Pablo didn't specifically talk about the Auto-Trigger function during Tennocon, but I'm still hopeful it will be bundled into the Accessibility update. Feel free to join the discussion in the below thread.

I don't mind or even welcome auto melee but it shouldn't be called (one of) "the best practices accessibility option". If one of the few challenges of melee combat is how fast you can click (or use macro) then melee combat is in bad state.

There should be more options that works differently but have same killing potential. I'm using range instead of speed and I feel like I'm loosing some damage. That shouldn't be the case.