Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Replacement Opinions

Star700

If I had a nickle for every time the male shieldless Warframe got replaced by a better one... I'd have 2 nickles, which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice. Who else in your opinion replaced someone else? Like Garuda replacing Valkyr, or Sevagoth replacing Inaros.

...Honestly the closest I can think of one Warframe being functionally replaced would be Revenant basically replacing Nyx in the "Enemy Control" and "Functionally Immortal" niches, and that's definitely me pushing it (and also a result of Nyx being in a bad spot to the point where her primary gimmicks are being completely overshadowed).

• Like 1

Didn't Loki get replaced by a hound?  Or was it by Wisp (invis, radiation shenanigans, etc.)?

1 hour ago, Star700 said:

Sevagoth replacing Inaros.

Can this really be a replacement if Inaros already (at least currently) sucks?

2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

What are you talking about ?

While there are only a few shieldless frames , I don't see how they are replacing each other just in the "shieldless" category.

You will have to elaborate a bit more.

Nidus replaced Inaros, and now all I ever see is Kullervo instead of Nidus

2 hours ago, Raarsi said:
2 hours ago, Raarsi said:

Can this really be a replacement if Inaros already (at least currently) sucks?

Sevagoth does the whole downed Sarcophagus thing way better and he has shields

46 minutes ago, Star700 said:

Nidus replaced Inaros, and now all I ever see is Kullervo instead of Nidus

How exactly did nidus replace inaros and kullervo replace nidus ?

inaros has mostly been a walking bulk of HP (which is up for a rework)

Nidus on the other hand is a well rounded support and CC frame with augments to be a weapons platform if you can survive long enough along with good survivability , but needs an active casting playstyle.

Kullervo is a melee oriented DPS frame with good survivability with minimum upkeep ,

Outside of the no shield gimmick , they are not exactly built for similar playstyles.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
  • Like 3

Except Nidus wasn't a replacement to Inaros and Kullervo most definitely not a replacement to Nidus.

Not only was/is the Nidus farm hated by many, Nidus really doesn't work or play like Inaros.
Even long after Nidus release I still saw more Inaros than Nidus.

Certain warframes have abilities that are similar, but something as basic as lacking shields would not be the starting point for a warframe X replaced Y discussion.

Just take the stealth frames. None of these are replacements of each other yet their themes are a lot more similar. The only "replacement" in this category would be Ivara replacing Loki for spy and rescue missions out of convenience. That is only because of her infiltrate augment. But then we still have the various other warframes with stealth, octavia, voruna, ash, wisp.

Has Lavos replaced Chroma? No.

Has Gauss replaced Volt? No.

Has Nezha replaced Rhino? No.

Each kit has their own ups and downs. Some are a lot bigger and therefor one might be able to argue that X is better than Y, personal preference still applies however.

• Like 4

I'd say Nourish being subsumable has largely replaced Grendel as evidenced by his play rate. There are a ton of other factors that contribute to that obviously but I think Nourish being a subsume ability kinda contributes to that as well. But I love playing Grendel so I'll just run him if I ever want to use Nourish.

Spoiler

yareli replaced nezha

• Like 3

I mean, Warframes been guilty of this for a long time. First they replaced Excalibur with Loki (mythical and possesses magical powers), then they replaced Ember with Frost (both have elemental powers, one fire, the other cold fire, thats solid. Frozen fire thats clumpy and hard), then they replaced Loki with Ash (both are really sexy and can turn invisible, and both can give birth to horses), then they also replaced Loki with Nyx (mythological inspiration, but now with tatas), but Nyx also replaced Excalibur, who Loki also replaced, who is also who she replaced. She also replaced Nova, who wasn't even released yet, but Nova slowed down time and opened ip a portal, but Nyx used her Confusion/Chaos, which everyone knows trumps chronological and time dilution powers... Grendel replaced Rhino (thicc boys who love to eat), even though Inaros also replaced Rhino (he just needs to turn them into sand before he eats them) and then Citrine replaced Inaros (also has pocket sand, but her pocket sand is sand from different types of beaches). 

So when you really think about it, like really really think about it hard, you can draw all sorts of similarities and connections between all sorts of things. Crazy. What one decides to emphasis, well thats more nuanced. I remember when Sevagoth was released, a few different people were claiming that he was a "Nidus killer" and everything Nidus did, Sevagoth was superior. I kind of shrugged. I didn't really care enough to agree or disagree, I didn't see the comparison myself, but sure, there were some similarities. I personally just preferred Nidus playstyle., aesthetic and gameplay loop more. Then Sevagoth seemed to really fall out of favour with a lot of people, and I felt a bit bad for them. They have a great new augment and deluxe now though, so thats a positive at least. 

So personally I see quite a lot of similarities with a lot of different Warframes. None, that I would really say replaces them though. Like Inaros as an example, has just fallen by the way side, because of several different gameplay developments, around one shot kills, shield gating, techniques like Last Gasp, Overguard and other types of buffs, ways to boost HP, Armour, Damage resistance, via shards, mods, augments... Just the ability to health tank via lots of HP isn't as special or powerful enough on its own. You could argue a lot of Warframes "replaced" Inaros in that sense. Lavos, Nidus, Kullervo, Citrine, Grendel, Qorvex (plus Warframes you slap with that Arcane that gives you like 1000 HP eventually, or Tau Health Shards), just because all of them have high HP, high armour, or alternatively include any Warframes that are tanks via other means, like abilities, like Revenant (Sevagoth too). Probably why he (Inaros) is getting a rework soon. 

10 hours ago, Star700 said:

If I had a nickle for every time the male shieldless Warframe got replaced by a better one... I'd have 2 nickles, which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice. Who else in your opinion replaced someone else? Like Garuda replacing Valkyr, or Sevagoth replacing Inaros.

Revenant replaces Inaros and Nidus (Nidus is still good tho, not exactly replaced but more like buying coke vs pepsi), but I'd say Kullervo wasn't replaced either, in fact, for many people he was the replacement of the Ash nuke melee build.

3 hours ago, Skoomaseller said:

I'd say Nourish being subsumable has largely replaced Grendel as evidenced by his play rate. There are a ton of other factors that contribute to that obviously but I think Nourish being a subsume ability kinda contributes to that as well. But I love playing Grendel so I'll just run him if I ever want to use Nourish.

Hide contents

yareli replaced nezha

i mean they nerfed the yumyum frame to not be able to eat everything... like prenerf you could cc an entire room, post nerf you can't 

in fact, they nerfed his gut twice, remember they actually capped it before they nerfed it down to 5 dudes

5 hours ago, Quimoth said:

Just take the stealth frames. None of these are replacements of each other yet their themes are a lot more similar. The only "replacement" in this category would be Ivara replacing Loki for spy and rescue missions out of convenience. That is only because of her infiltrate augment. But then we still have the various other warframes with stealth, octavia, voruna, ash, wisp.

A closer example would be Wisp replaced Loki

Invisibility? check

Distracting enemies? check

Radial CC? check

Even more stuff loki doesn't have? (like auto electric stuns and buffs?) check

heck, even from the very beginning we had Loki going against Ash as a matter of dps + stealth or stealth + cc.

6 hours ago, Lord_Chibi said:

i mean they nerfed the yumyum frame to not be able to eat everything... like prenerf you could cc an entire room, post nerf you can't 

in fact, they nerfed his gut twice, remember they actually capped it before they nerfed it down to 5 dudes

i know but it's fine. I'd rather eat 5 and have 0 drain on hp/energy and i like not having to run Rage/hunter adrenaline 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skoomaseller said:

i know but it's fine. I'd rather eat 5 and have 0 drain on hp/energy and i like not having to run Rage/hunter adrenaline 

i mean they always had the alternate augment, which even without nourish would effectively give you tons of energy with the Rage mod as you said so like honestly he very well could be op even with self damage

frames don't really replace each other directly, because even when parts of their kit are similar, there are also differences. for me, Gyre became my go-to electric frame over Volt, but she needs a totally different build, and focuses almost exclusively on DPS and a tiny bit of CC while Volt has better CC, defense capabilities with shield and can also be considered a high mobility buffer due to Speed. both wield electricity, both rely more on shields than health/armor to survive, but that's about where the similarities end, and this is just one example.

On 2024-02-17 at 10:25 PM, Star700 said:

None are better than the other. They all have their own worlds of gameplay and they can all very effectively kill and survive. 

Give us some examples as to why you think there are replacements.

Literally none of those frames replaced each other.

Inaros, Nidus, and Kullervo all build and play differently. You're comparing a spammy nuke/CC frame to a face tank weapon platform frame to a melee frame.

Garuda didn't replace Valkyr. There's literally no similarity between them beside one having exalted claws and the other having an innate claw weapon if you don't equip a melee.

And Sevagoth didn't replace Inaros. Hek just looking at the gameplay stats prove this with Inaros having over twice the play rate as Sevagoth.

• Like 1

Citrine replaced Trinity. Citrine does pretty much everything that Trinity does but better, as well more on top of that. The only thing Trinity really has over her is specifically the ability to reset shield gates on frames that don't have health built (the full restore from Blessing).

Trinity's Well of Life and Energy Vampire are both replaced by Citrine's Fractured Blast. Trinity's Link and the DR portion of Blessing are both replaced by Citrine's Preserving Shell. On top of both of those, Citrine has Prismatic Gem for ludicrously high damage, as well as soft crowd control, to a theoretically infinite area. Even further beyond that, Citrine has Crystallize for instant wide radius hard crowd control, and forced red crits that bypasses most forms of enemy DR.

I still prefer to play Trinity though.

• Like 2

On 2024-02-18 at 7:24 AM, Skoomaseller said:
  Hide contents

yareli replaced nezha

I see people say this but I just don't see it. Nezha and Yareli both have DV buffs in their kit but quite honestly Nezha's basic combo setup is very team friendly due to not only how many you can affect and the cc but the health and energy orb tsunami you can also cause. Where as Yareli's comes off as something primarily for her benefit. Nezha also has a clear identity of a super mobile support. Fire proc CC you cover down, the hard cc of his 4, the DV of his 2, and you can take it a step further with his 3's augment and put it on teammates. Then there's Yareli. I love her, but I still do think her kit has an identity crisis and is lacking. Adding DV to her 1 and jacking up it's DV rates doesn't change how weirdly basic and lackluster her abilities are and in relationship to one another. Her passive and 1 says she's gun focus but her 3 and 4 says ability and it's not that good. Not to mention Merulina can't do any of the neat tricks a modded K-Drive can do. Imagine if she had the smoother dismount ability that throws the K-Drive at an enemy. Throw Meru at some poor idiot then easily transition to aim gliding gun down. I still don't believe DE remotely tapped into the awesome-ness Yareli could have.

3 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Citrine replaced Trinity. Citrine does pretty much everything that Trinity does but better, as well more on top of that. The only thing Trinity really has over her is specifically the ability to reset shield gates on frames that don't have health built (the full restore from Blessing).

Trinity's Well of Life and Energy Vampire are both replaced by Citrine's Fractured Blast. Trinity's Link and the DR portion of Blessing are both replaced by Citrine's Preserving Shell. On top of both of those, Citrine has Prismatic Gem for ludicrously high damage, as well as soft crowd control, to a theoretically infinite area. Even further beyond that, Citrine has Crystallize for instant wide radius hard crowd control, and forced red crits that bypasses most forms of enemy DR.

I still prefer to play Trinity though.

Yeah, which is a shame cause Trinity is an OG frame. She deserves better. I really hope they look at her and Banshee.