The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Voidshell should be intergrated to work with every skin ever

Deshiel

That's not something you can just press a button and do, and personally, as much as I love voidshell, I don't see that as feasible or preferable. I would rather see them do other things they are never going to do like implement game servers so no one has to host, or find ways to make the current system for hosting better and maybe fix some long standing bugs that have existed since the release of the relevant content.

• Like 2

I mentioned this in another topic where someone misplaced "Void Shell" for gloss on Volt's Deluxe. Least from what I could tell.

I do some mesh, texture and 3D modeling work. By no means on a professional level.

From my experience each mat and combination has to be rendered before importing it. This results in 100's if not nearing 1,000 combinations. Unless they have some nifty on-the-fly rendering system this is generally how it's done with any 3D model. Make textures, slap them to a mat, render and import. They could be using an in-house multi-layer method with a sorta "build your own mat" system but I would expect more artifact issues with that as a global system.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

I mentioned this in another topic where someone misplaced "Void Shell" for gloss on Volt's Deluxe. Least from what I could tell.

I do some mesh, texture and 3D modeling work. By no means on a professional level.

From my experience each mat and combination has to be rendered before importing it. This results in 100's if not nearing 1,000 combinations. Unless they have some nifty on-the-fly rendering system this is generally how it's done with any 3D model. Make textures, slap them to a mat, render and import. They could be using an in-house multi-layer method with a sorta "build your own mat" system but I would expect more artifact issues with that as a global system.

Thanks for your input. What would be your ETA for this?

12 minutes ago, Deshiel said:

Thanks for your input. What would be your ETA for this?

Haha. If they wanted they could do it in 2-3 months but that's outa my pay grade. I just make individual models.

I have commission requests for Tabaxi race in BG3 but Larian has been scuffing the moding scene.
These are some examples of my work. Mostly DOS2 and BG3 right now.

Spoiler

RLs9UMC.png

4c1hJDK.png

XREVngO.png

jTg7hb2.png

WKlDUTB.png

I'm a mod developer in the end. I can code, model, make VFX and similar but I'm not professional at any of it.

Edited by Xzorn
  • Like 1

Once voidshell tech was developed, it should have been included as the standard for every release going forward.

Instead they just use it to farm more $$$, even though voidshells are usually bad because none of your attachments work with it.

What could've been...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Deshiel said:

Even if it would take an entire year to safely figure out and implement. The wait would be worth it.

for you*. not everyone would agree.

I'd rather the artists make more creative skins rather than just rely on voidshelling everything. not that it can happen quickly anyway, DE already said it'd be unreasonable to go back and redo every skin for every frame, and they're right: with the amount of frames we have now it would be an insanely large undertaking.

I do agree that all skins going forward should have been made voidshell compatible - Converting the old skins (which would actually be remaking them), would be too time consuming, which is fair enough.  But the only reason not to make all new skins voidshell compatible is so that they can sell a specific voidshell skin for people who want to use voidshell, which is a shame, especially since the voidshell skins aren't the same design as the base ones, which in some cases I prefer the look of, and the voidshells are released so infrequently that it's going to be years before there's one for every frame.

• Like 3

Ideally yeah, but also, I don't think its that easy or financially viable unfortunately. Like I don't know that much about the technical aspects involved, but based on what I have read from people who do seem to know more, well... different people have different projections on the time, resources that would be required, some don't seem realistic, or feasible. Also, like many things, time and resources aren't infinite, and so its a matter of trading off. Like hypothetically do you want DE to spend a year focused entirely on introducing new pet mechanics, Kavat armours, breeds, etc or do you want them to release regular updates, like Jade Shadows, 1999, new Primes etc, see most people will want the latter, but there will be a few people that want more Kavat things... Some people will want both, but like... actual missions and updates will take a priority. 

See I would personally like way more Void Shell implementation, but not at the cost of everything else stalling permanently. Not that, thats necessarily exactly how that works, different teams, different skills etc, but its just an example to illustrate potential issues. 

So in that sense, I would rather, if possible... I don't need every skin to be Voidshell, but ideally Deluxe skins. Also, an option to turn on Prime Details maybe? I feel like many Voidshell skins, end up shooting themselves in the foot, because the Warframe already has a Prime appearance that is much favoured over default looks, or a really great Deluxe already. Granted many people have a lot of config slots, for fashion frame purposes, but ehhh... 

14 hours ago, Deshiel said:

Even if it would take an entire year to safely figure out and implement. The wait would be worth it.

Agreed.  I would purchase every single skin for all of the Warframes.  It would be so much money but, I need to have aesthetically pleasing frames to really enjoy them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Agreed.  I would purchase every single skin for all of the Warframes.  It would be so much money but, I need to have aesthetically pleasing frames to really enjoy them.

As of now, trying to combine any fashion type with voidshell is like trying to make a vegan burger with actual meat.

• Like 1

I imagine that if it was feasible for them to put Voidshell on any skin, that's what they would have done.  And then they would just charge for each Voidshell material.

Everyone already has skins they like, and customizing them with Voidshell materials would be something many, if not most, players would want to do.  Even if it was just for your favorite frame, that's 4 materials per user.

But as it stands, players have to buy the Voidshell Skins to use the materials.  And I don't know about y'all, but I don't like any of those skins.  So I don't use Voidshell stuff outside of my operator.  And I'm guessing I'm far from alone in this.

I don't think this is how DE wants it.  If they could do it the way that everyone would obviously like it, then they would.

Really. I'm surprised people buy the Voidshell stuff. The tech is cool but I like most prime/deluxe/tennogen.

It kinda seems like a waste of money and resources to just have it on base frame skins. Esp the older ones.

Shame tennogen seems to have died. Still missing a quality Dual Swords skin.

11 hours ago, Deshiel said:

As of now, trying to combine any fashion type with voidshell is like trying to make a vegan burger with actual meat.

It's the main reason I'm not using the skins I've already purchased; I can't mix anything with it & have it look good.  

We would all love that, especially earlier frames with meh standard skins, but that's a ridiculous amount of work.. they'd need a whole department for that. 

And considering the skins are available for plat instead of RL Cash, I doubt it's ever gonna happen. 

14 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Really. I'm surprised people buy the Voidshell stuff. The tech is cool but I like most prime/deluxe/tennogen.

It kinda seems like a waste of money and resources to just have it on base frame skins. Esp the older ones.

Shame tennogen seems to have died. Still missing a quality Dual Swords skin.

Not all warframes with voidshells have a real good alternate skin. In addition, you have so many different materials to pick from you can fine-tune even further than usual.

Why would you need Gamma color picker if you have the Default color picker? I can assure you the effect of some materials on the effects and colors of your warframe is greater than what you can achieve using color pickers (and I collect color pickers even though I mostly stick to a select set of 5)

Any cosmetic could be argued to be a waste of money and resources... the entire game could be argued to be just that. I don't use a lot of chest pieces of armor sets, should we ask DE to stop making chest pieces? Fashionframe exists and it is a good source of money for DE, hence why there are so many different customization options. The value it brings to you personally is not really going to matter.

EDIT:

Without armor pieces with material customization (voidshells), it becomes pretty hard to actually do proper fashion frame with voidshell however. There aren't that many armor sets and syandanas that can work well with voidshells.

Edited by Quimoth

It'd be cool but it might require contract negotiations with Tennogen Artists.

For example, you can't buy some skins on specific platforms, and Voidshell isn't just applying colors, it's effectively remaking the models and altering them texturally. 

I just don't see it happening. (Although I'd LOVE IT!)

I wish they'd allow us to Voidshell all DE created skins and on ALL Operator and Drifter costumes.

• Like 1